Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
warch
This poll is closed.
warch 68 44.44%
warch 85 55.56%
Total: 153 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Cardiovorax posted:

They were stupid enough to record that? I mean, geeze.

There is a huge behind-the-scenes documentary that went alongside Phantom Menace, and it's uh, very revealing. It turns out the reason that they were stupid enough to record that is because (at least George Lucas) thinks he's a visionary genius, but it's very clear that he's completely incompetent and everyone around him just goes along with whatever he says because they're afraid of being kicked off the project just like every other collaborator Lucas had for the first three movies. So, the entire documentary is just Lucas saying insane things and everyone behind his back with a look of total dread on their face and then he turns around and they say "yeah, absolutely, great idea." The other scenes are reels of him sitting in a chair, watching the actors through a screen, and then yelling all the way over to them to give them instructions after the scene ends while the actors stare at him. The most famous line is Lucas saying "JarJar is the most important character in the movie. If JarJar works, the movie works" and...well, we all saw what happens with that. The final scene is everyone in Lucas's home theater watching the movie in dead silence with wide-eyes, and then Lucas says "Wow, we nailed it" and everyone says "yes" and starts clapping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Simone Magus posted:

Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga is an upcoming Lego-themed action-adventure game scheduled to be released in early 2021 for Microsoft Windows, Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, and Xbox Series X/S. It will be the sixth entry in TT Games' Lego Star Wars series of video games and the successor to Lego Star Wars: The Force Awakens. The game will adapt all nine entries in the Skywalker saga series of films

:woop:

This’ll be good I think, they’ve gone back to the LEGO characters pantomiming instead of talking.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I've been ping ponging between almost being euphoric about just being alive, and being miserable and terrified. Wish I could make some progress. (Sorry about airing my dirty laundry like this)

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

FlowerRhythmREMIX posted:

I'm hurt that my recommendation alone isn't enough. I mostly recommended it because it is based around a group of student council students which is what was being discussed. The premise is around the two main protagonists being too stubborn to admit they like the other, and results in a lot of silly situations. Low stakes, lots of heart, and does a really great job of emphasizing how overdramatic teenagers are.

I think cube and razzledazzle both had good one liners summarizing the show too. SNU got me into it initially, and I'm really glad he did.

well, I don't really watch TV that much these days, anime or otherwise. It's just not how I spend my time usually

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

wuggles posted:

This’ll be good I think, they’ve gone back to the LEGO characters pantomiming instead of talking.

Really? I’d heard somewhere that Skywalker Saga was going to have voice acting as well. What’s also neat is that Phantom Menace through Force Awakens have apparently also been remade and aren’t just ports of the existing games.

We still don’t have a concrete release date for that game yet do we?

Though I will give LEGO Force Awakens credit for getting back most of the movie cast and for making Carrie Fisher (or a soundalike, I forget) say “Wookie cookie”.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Mar 20, 2021

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

There is a huge behind-the-scenes documentary that went alongside Phantom Menace, and it's uh, very revealing.
drat. I mean, this is 100% in line with everything I've ever heard about the man, but it's still hard to believe in how much of a bubble he lives and works. No wonder that criticisms of the new trilogy made him rather sell off the only valuable thing he has ever created in his life than to accept that he could have done better.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Mar 20, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

drat. I mean, this is 100% in line with everything I've ever heard about the man, but it's still hard to believe in how much of a bubble he lives and works.

Hell, the original trilogy only really worked because he had people back then that could tell him “no” and make adjustments to his scripts (though even by Return of the Jedi the cracks were starting to show a little).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Mar 20, 2021

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Yeah, in the Ewoks you can already see shades of the Jar Jar to come. If there was a clear point at which Lucas decided that he was too important to have to listen to anyone else, that movie would be it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The tapes of the Raiders story meeting where Lucas and Spielberg are discussing writing that backstory are pretty hosed up

I remember reading the transcript where Spielberg's common sense starts kicking in and he's like "well I don't think we can do that" while Lucas gets more and more into the idea.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

oh poo poo Octopath Traveler on Gamepass in a few days. If you haven't played it before that game rules

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Larryb posted:

Really? I’d heard somewhere that Skywalker Saga was going to have voice acting as well. What’s also neat is that Phantom Menace through Force Awakens have apparently also been remade and aren’t just ports of the existing games.

We still don’t have a concrete release date for that game yet do we?

Though I will give LEGO Force Awakens credit for getting back most of the movie cast and for making Carrie Fisher (or a soundalike, I forget) say “Wookie cookie”.

too soon to say I guess, the original trailer seemed to imply we're back to grunting

quote:

At E3 2019, IGN spoke to TT Games’s Head of Design Arthur Parsons, who said that the classic grunts may not be out of the question: “At the minute the plan is that the game is fully voiced, But we are talking to the team about having an additional mode for grunts.”

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/06/18/lego-star-wars-the-skywalker-saga-may-add-grunting-voice-work

Says Q2/Q3 2021 still.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Rinkles posted:

I've been ping ponging between almost being euphoric about just being alive, and being miserable and terrified. Wish I could make some progress. (Sorry about airing my dirty laundry like this)

Hey I don’t have any useful advice but I’m sorry that you feel that way and hope things get better for you.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Well Lego Indiana Jones was fun but I got to the final level of RotLA and the companion AI's bugging out and won't step on the switch I need them to step on and I don't have a second Wiimote so this is as far as I go I guess :sigh:

I hate when a tech issue keeps me from completing a game I've started getting into :(

Weedle
May 31, 2006

got my second shot :toot:

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

I hope you feel better Rinkles.

In other news, continuing backlog quest with Gravity Rush and its music and environments make me want to play...Xenoblade Chronicles 2? Which I kinda hated.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I've never been disappointed by a Mitsuda soundtrack

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I skipped every single cutscene in the final few chapters of Xenoblade 2 but would still rather play that game again than Skyrim

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Rinkles posted:

I've never been disappointed by a Mitsuda soundtrack

Music was one of the best parts of that game, easy.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Xenoblade Chronicles 2......... is good

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

From what I've seen, I don't think I could stomach a game-full of those cutscenes

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Tag yourself

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Isn't Chronicles 2 the gacha game?

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I also unironically like the gacha mechanic of XC2 because, for example, when I replay like, SMT games, I really struggle to not just use the exact same team every playthrough. Getting random party members helps keep things fresh and make you try new things and get attached to new party members.

Rinkles posted:

From what I've seen, I don't think I could stomach a game-full of those cutscenes

Like I said, I skipped every single cutscene in the final few chapters. If/when I do a replay I'll just skip all of them, they suck.

It's got great game design though. The open-world zones rule

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Mar 20, 2021

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

It took MS buying Bethesda and fixing their poo poo console ports but I am now playing Prey, a game from 2018, and actually loving it

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The cutscenes are very silly but I dunno, I found the game entertaining on pretty much all levels. Tora is unbearable but behind that I kinda liked the story for the silly fun it was.

Cardiovorax posted:

Isn't Chronicles 2 the gacha game?

It has gacha-like mechanics but there's no way to spend real money on it. Functionally it's a way to give you random blades but with the "open the shiny thing to see what you get" aspect.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Am I misremembering or was there not in fact a way to buy the gacha currency with real money

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
There is not. It's a random loot system but not a microtransaction system

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Am I misremembering or was there not in fact a way to buy the gacha currency with real money
there isn't, it's just gacha for gacha sake because gacha itself can be fun

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

There's no gacha currency to begin with. Blade cores are items you find in the world and open to get random blades. You don't have to get a currency to buy them.

You can spend real money on DLC that includes special unique blades, but those are all guaranteed and not part of the random blade core mechanic.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

buying magic card packs sucks rear end, but opening them and seeing what you get is kind of exciting, and then having to make some kind of deck out of them is fun enough that there's an entire format of card game competition built around that idea

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiVZMxf4E2Q

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I also unironically like the gacha mechanic of XC2 because, for example, when I replay like, SMT games, I really struggle to not just use the exact same team every playthrough. Getting random party members helps keep things fresh and make you try new things and get attached to new party members.
Well, as long as it costs no real money. Weird choice to make for a game like that, but I suppose I can see the point.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Like how TCGs are kinda a scummy model, but playing the Pokemon TCG on Gameboy (with packs earned in-game) was the best thing.

E:lol kinda beaten

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Yeah there's no actual way to spend real money on the game. The gacha cores are given out mostly in hidden treasure chests as a reward for exploration, or you can grind them post-game by killing bosses.

One of the things I really like about the game, and I've said this a bunch, but the game has so many system like the gacha system and all the items/equipment, that it means there's a ton of rewards they can give you for doing various things that all feel relevant. Compare that to BotW where every Shrine is just gonna give you a spirit orb or maybe a piece of armor if you're really lucky, or a weapon that breaks after ten enemies.

Looking at an environment and realizing there's a winding trail that leads to an open industrial pipe, so you go into town and find the buildings you need to climb up to reach the walkway to get there, to go through the pipe and equip a ton of +HP items so you can survive the drop all the way down to a secret zone that has a chest filled with Gacha tokens that you then use to pull a new party member is a genius bit of game design

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Mar 20, 2021

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Is this the start of a creepypasta?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It's more of a "man finds Picasso painting in attic" story.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Harrow posted:

Xenoblade Chronicles 2......... is good

It would be better without rex.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I skipped every single cutscene in the final few chapters of Xenoblade 2 but would still rather play that game again than Skyrim

you missed out on some big twists in the last chapter RIP

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

How does a game survive 20+ years under a tree in some random field?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Electric Phantasm posted:

I wasn't sure what a Tom & Jerry gatcha would entail, but it's obvious in hindsight

A 1v4 game where you can play as a mouse that collects cheese or a cat that tries to stop them

They got the crambone guy as a playable character and this

I think I played the poo poo out of this when it was a warcraft 3 map