Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
warch
This poll is closed.
warch 68 44.44%
warch 85 55.56%
Total: 153 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
after dealing with some uncomfortable mental crap at the doctor's, the deadly premonition theme randomly popped into my head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OUP_Z3iZPs

it's a good song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Kat's my favorite superhero

vv yeah

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

answering questions about intimate details of my life someone's just clinically reading off a list in a depression screening felt like a punch to the gut

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Anime people have gotten really good at translating 2D designs into 3D

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Vermain posted:

I think Arc System Works has basically solved it as far as video games go, but it'll probably be a bit before you see something of that quality in TV anime. My understanding is that the process of actually animating the models is incredibly labour intensive due to the huge amount of bones necessary to get the kind of snappy movement you see in something like GG Strive. It works great for a scenario where you only have a few canned animations, but it's harder to do for scenarios where you need new, dynamic animations in almost every episode.

Those are 3D games made to look like they're 2D (and the effect is amazing), but I more meant that 3D anime models in general just look good nowadays. Compared to say the PS2 or 3 eras, when the transition between illustration and in game model was often awkward. Probably largely a question of good middleware.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Spirit Armor's orignal LP of Sakura Wars was my intro to some anime tropes and stuff. Revealing some of its nooks and crannies, as it were.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Something about the look and feel of many N64 games triggers a sense of claustrophobia in me.

Wamdoodle posted:

Did SP ever finish that? I remember the thread going on a long hiatus

Don't think so. But a fan translation has since come out.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I hadn't heard of this before. Sega's cancelled, leaked own take on Street Fighter II, Burning Fists

:siren: flashing stuff in video, seizure warning :siren:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cv2bvT2AWqM

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Mar 2, 2021

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

CubeTheory posted:

Serious seizure trigger warning on this video

woops, i didn't watch the whole thing, sorry

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

i think the old meme applies:

???
profit

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

How many good games has Mistwalker made? I haven't actually played any (Mistwalker games, good or bad)?

Yesterday I was randomly reminded of ASH when I was reading an old games blog. I remember hoping it would get a localization. Looking at it today, it has pretty art, but in game looks really cruddy.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

haveblue posted:

Who else is old enough to remember that when you checked out the PC game shelf at Software Etc, sometimes you would see a really weird package that looked more like a modern art piece than a box with a disc in it?

It was probably the work of this guy

yes! thanks, another thing my brain hasn't thought about in decades. there was also the less fancy but still enticing packaging with foldable front covers, with extra screenshots or info inside. browsing chunky software boxes as a kid was a magical experience.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I could never handle 3D graphics of that era

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Walla posted:

I think the last computer game I bought was Quest for Glory IV. Those games ruled.

Does that tag line have any relation to the actual game? I thought the quests were run of the mill adventure games

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

neat. my one encounter with the series was when i was six or so, and got lost in a forest right away.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

bovis posted:

Hey chat thread I got married today :) hope everyone is having a good day!

wow, congrats!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Rogue Galaxy was built on top of Dark Cloud 2, right? (playing the latter atm) Because the controls feel similar and the menus identical.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Dark Cloud 2 just keeps on piling on new systems and mechanics.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

To paraphrase Bill Clinton, suckin ain't fuckin.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Probably done by the same person that photographed it for internet points, says my grumpy cynical heart

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Did y'all grow up in areas with graffiti all over public spaces? Cause I found it miserable.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Lol, is it true that some of the Atelier games gradually slow down your movement speed when they think you're taking too long to complete a chapter?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fg__LJIAn5o&t=503s

time stamp ~8:20 since embedding is blocked

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

It hadn't dawned on me just how many Atelier games there are (22). Gust seems to have been one of the few devs to manage a PS2 era release cadence after the PS2 era.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I appreciate it when third person games have a first person view. Pretty rare, especially nowadays. (Dark Cloud 2)

Am I missing some kind of note system, or does the game expect you to memorize/write down any invention recipes you find?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

the guy already said he was wrong and being dumb, i don't think you need to pile on

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

i kinda like the basic setup of dark cloud 2, but i wish everything wasn't so slow. do i really need to hand select the dungeon key every time? why can i not sort my inventory by components? did synthesis really require this many button inputs? why are party members automatically healed when leaving a dungeon but the mech isn't refueled? the first dungeon entrance requires you to go up or down a ladder each time. et cetera

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Any similar but better/more polished games? I mean the dungeon crawling part mostly.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

If you like most of the game except the dungeon crawling part, you might look at the DC2 speedrun that is like...five or six hours long. They build a super fast ridepod that can oneshot like every enemy and skip through all the dungeon stuff as fast as possible

i meant kinda the opposite. a similar chill dungeon crawler that's just less tedious, more QoL-conscious.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

judging by youtube thumbnails, some people really liked pokemon explorers of sky

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

homeless snail posted:

thats just what a lot of ps2 games look like when you increase their internal resolution

yeah it's just fairly stock settings PCSX2, with a widescreen hack

@1080p

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Mar 4, 2021

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Khanstant posted:

I just tried watching 5 minutes of outrider gameplay footage feauturing each class and I couldn't tell you when the class swap happened or when they added a skinny guy to gears of war

That's more an issue with Outriders' art department than anything else.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

wonder which was the western release

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

The NPCs in FF7R are like from a different planet from the main cast.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I was fascinated by snails as a kid, I used to catch them in jars (I'd let them go the next day). But slugs were ungodly, shell-less abominations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I see a bit of me in those tweets. Good to hear you're beginning to feel better.

I should probably try weed.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Remember when namco released xenosaga for the DS? Episode 3 hadn't yet come out.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Barudak posted:

I think for further bafflement it was the only way to get the story of Xenosaga 1+2 in europe

I remember seeing PS2 Xenosaga ads in gaming magazines. The DS version was Japan only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Wait apparently only episode 2 got a PAL release? :psyduck: