Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
warch
This poll is closed.
warch 68 44.44%
warch 85 55.56%
Total: 153 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Harrow posted:

I guess this probably has Wandavision spoilers so I won't embed: behold, the tweet
Seems like a bit of an overreaction to call that incredibly dumb? I mean, yeah, it's typical fanboy hyperbole, but it's not like it's a bad line, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

cheetah7071 posted:

The individual zones are a lot more open than FFXIII, so it felt less like a hallway, even though it was just as linear
Yeah, FFX was definitely linear. Not a corridor, though - the individual zones were very explorable, full of little nooks, criss-crossing paths and dead ends. I think it hit the middle ground very well and I wouldn't have minded it if Final Fantasy games had stuck to that style.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Looper posted:

of course ff10 is linear, they're on a literal pilgrimage. its linearity, and the specific point at which it stops being linear, are strong thematic elements of the narrative
I don't think this is really a good argument here. You can have an open world even with a linear narrative and it's not like the game really stops you from pretty much going wherever and whenever you want. You want to go right back to Besaid shortly before walking into the final area of the game? Go right ahead.

It works for the game particularly because the plot is very clear about being all "okay, you did this, next stations is..." with the implication that your itinerary has been out long in advance. That doesn't mean the game world had to be designed to fit it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Looper posted:

of course you can go back to besaid before the final area, you have the airship by then :v: but I'm not saying you can't have a world map and a linear narrative or that the designers had to do anything lol, just that the designers did make those decisions with ff10 and it's a stronger game for it
Yeah, fair enough. It's difficult to tell sometimes when someone means "the game is stronger for being designed that way" or "the game works only because it was designed that way." Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Monkey Fracas posted:

I feel like a lot of math courses would be made more interesting and effective at teaching the concepts if they actually demonstrated how they were utilized to some real effect

like a lot of concepts make more sense as tools than some fundamental concept in a vacuum
The problem with this is that a lot of math becomes far, far, far more complicated once you remove it from its convenient and limited vacuum and try to apply it to a real thing, because math is neat and confined and real things tend to very much not be. I've got a lot of experience with that due to my own college work. Turning a flat 2D plane into a torus looks very simple, for example, but if you ever showed a school kid the geometrical transformations involved and the type of multi-dimensional matrices you'd need to apply to do so, they'd be so intimidated by it they'd refuse to ever touch the concept again.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

wuggles posted:

I claim that you can understand and enjoy THIS particular concept without any matrices at all

I think it's fairly easy to convince even a child of the sphere and torus transformations (square -> surface) and then if you're say a game designer making a 2D game you can represent a spherical or ...toroidal? world map with just a plane

the obvious application of course is that now you can play chess and pac-man on some weird poo poo
Oh, I agree that it's a very simple and illustrative demonstration of the concept and you can absolutely understand what it is just from looking at what you showed us in your post. I was simply talking about it in terms of that kind of application helping you to learn how to do so yourself, which is where reduction to the absolute basics honestly helps a lot.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

haveblue posted:

I finished the base campaign of MG Survive. That was, uh, certainly some stuff that happened. Thanks everyone who helped make the base not be a huge time sink, but I just don't think this is my kind of game.
Shame to hear it, but I hope you still had some fun with it, at least.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

StoryTime posted:

I think the closest you can get to a consistent earth-like cycle would be for the donut to spin like a wheel, and have the sun do a figure eight through the hole.
But does the elephant have to lift its leg to let it pass?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

haveblue posted:

I did, but it was almost all out in the field exploring. I liked their take on the world, both as a story and as a fairly clever strategy for making a second game out of that asset collection.

It's funny, because I had a much better time with Subnautica which is very similar. In hindsight it's probably because Subnautica lets you more easily refill your meters in the field and doesn't have other characters with needs around.
Well, I appreciate that you stuck with it and reported back your experiences. I always find it a shame how under-appreciated Survive is, because it really does a lot of neat things.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

But they're spherical when you zoom out. :confused:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Monkey Fracas posted:

I agree on the "isolating and teaching the basics" front for sure but it's also generally helpful to me to see how things fit in with some greater concept or use- and maybe that's generally how things are done now (someone posted about Common Core)

kind of like understanding how a carburetor, valvetrain, and magneto function vs why exactly they are where they are on a small engine
Yeah, I don't disagree with that. It helps give you an appreciation for why a thing is even worth learning in the first place.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

Anyone remember GIANTS: citizen kabuto?
Still have the game disc somewhere, I think.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Sacrifice was great. It was one of the first games I had ever seen that used dynamic terrain deformation as an actually effective mechanic. There were, for example, spells that existed just do drop a section of the map into the netherworld and the "effect" of the spell, such as it were, consisted of an instant kill against anything that wasn't capably of flying by physically dropping them into the void. It was such a cool and novel concept at the time.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Rinkles posted:

Does that tag line have any relation to the actual game? I thought the quests were run of the mill adventure games
They're actually RPG/point'n'click adventure hybrids. You can learn spells, fight monsters, use potions, etc. in addition to the more typical adventure game stuff.

But no, you don't really particularly get to make your own rules.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, that's one of the biggest differences between QfG and standard adventure games. All those RPG mechanics actually matter to how you resolve certain adventure game elements.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

In a lot of ways, it really was.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

As someone who lives in the land of bratwurst and lederhosen, I found it more amusingly quaint than offensive. It's an intentional pastiche of classic fantasy settings, making fun of the stereotypes is part of the package.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

QfG3 did a pretty good job of portraying tribal traditions as sophisticated and deserving of respect in their own right.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Oh, so it was a nude wedding. Those are fun.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

How many of the pro-graffiti folks here own any property? Just wondering.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

FlowerRhythmREMIX posted:

I thought that too, and I'm 0/3 on attempts to play the game.
HZD starts out really good, but its biggest problem is that the shine wears off fairly quickly. You get full access to basically everything you can do very early in the game and from that point forward, all that is really left to look forward to is the Standard Ubisoft Open World Experience (and it's not even an Ubisoft game) and the plot.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

So technically it's really more like half a sandwich.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Unreal_One posted:

I was about to say the same thing about BotW, and the opposite about HZD. Nothing in BotW is as good as the first two hours on the plateau, while HZD doesn't really get started until after the Nora lands.
I did have fun with it even for a few hours past the prologue, but by the time I found out that I had explored only half the map and there was not only another half of the world left to go through and that I had already long since unlocked every mechanic that the game ever gives you, I realized I just simply didn't like it that much. I could have spent twice again as long as the game and still not have done everything, and I just wasn't willing to do that.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

That’s really not true of my experience at all, the machine types require completely different strategies for taking them down along with weapons you’re unlikely to have past the first couple hours of the game. Beating a Thunderjaw or a Stormbird is nothing like plinking out a watcher eye.
I fought Stormbirds twice in my one and only foray into the western half of the map (really bad luck with spawns there) before I gave up on the game and I just didn't enjoy it at all. It takes forever, eats up insane amounts of resources, and the game makes it actively more difficult on you than it has to be because you can't aim straight up. There is a limited angle to how far up you can turn the camera and Stormbirds have an annoying tendency to hover right above you. It felt like everything that is least fun about Monster Hunter, a game which I otherwise love.

Worst of all, the reward was entirely random and not at all worth it.

Not going to advise anyone else to not play the game, because I certainly got my money's worth out of it, but it's definitely one of those games I'll never go back to and never finish.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Mar 4, 2021

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Harrow posted:

Maybe it's just because it's also available on phones and people seem completely repelled by games that cost even $10 on a phone no matter what the game is.
It's a bit of a vicious cycle. Nobody is willing to pay 10$ for a mobile game because even the best mobile games are still worse than even just the low average for games on most other platforms. At the same time, nobody bothers really developing a proper, non-MTX game for mobile devices because people wouldn't be willing to pay for it anyway.

Some of the best games you can play on mobile devices are PSX and SNES games on an emulator, and that's just a pretty sad state of affairs.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The 7th Guest posted:

they do develop non-MTX/gacha games for apple arcade but there's not enough exclusives to apple arcade to justify it for the average person
Also the obvious downside of intentionally excluding any Android user from their ecosystem, which is not a small demographic by any means.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Knowing that even where you can collect those secondary resources yourself, the game is intentionally just slightly too slow to make it reasonable or fun and that the only way to get around it is to pay for currency repeatedly, that is what kills it for me. I've gotten into arguments with people about microtransactions before and about how much of them I think are acceptable in a game before it's too much, but gacha games and their whole sales methodology is the definition of predatory business practices to me. At least a regular MMO gives you a fixed amount of time per month for the money and for that amount, you get full access to everything. Even that is more than I'm willing to deal with, but at least they don't nickel and dime you to death.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It's a shame that Genshin would, by all accounts, be a pretty good game worth paying for, if only paying got you actually all of it instead of only bits and pieces.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

At least you'll actually be playing a game instead of just being expected to just get your dopamine rush from seeing the number go up.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

MMOs don't sell extra weekly lockouts. (yet lol, maybe current blizzard will do it)
At this point, they probably think they can't get away with it anymore. Someone at Blizzard HQ definitely thought "drat, if only we had thought of that first," though.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

warchandise

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

There's a hentai knockoff game of Death Stranding, so I'm kinda surprised that doesn't already exist.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Lot easier to defeat than the other type, I'm sure.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Convex posted:

Especially if you join the bukkake bros covenant
Praise the Cum! :jerkbag:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

A bottomless curse, a bottomless sea,
spooging on all that is or can be.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Fear the old cum. It smells awful.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

What would dogs need a police for. Every dog is a Good Boy.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

VideoGames posted:

The chaos eaters scared me :( they are very close to the kinds of enemies that terrify me the most (facehuggers/headcrabs/slugs) and the noise they made creeped me to bits, so I am sorry. My own fears got the better of me.
Facehuggers I get, but slugs? They don't even have teeth. Or claws. Or anything, really.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

VideoGames posted:

I have a real life phobia of slugs due to falling into a nest of them as a kid and them getting all over my face. I am terrified of them.
This reads like a Batman rogue origin story. "He fell into a nest of slugs and the experience changed him forever. He became... Sluggor! Bane of salad!"

But really, I didn't realize that slugs built nests. How strange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I found a really beautiful leopard slug in my front yard last summer, made some really good photos of it for the Critterquest thread, too. They have a fascinating skin texture. You'd think they're all smooth just from looking at them, but they actually have this really criss-cross pattern.