Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
warch
This poll is closed.
warch 68 44.44%
warch 85 55.56%
Total: 153 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I finished 13 Sentinels recently which was a big blindspot for me last year and man what a crazy story. Really cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYqoW7UnK9g

People should check out this extremely cool remix album that just came out and is so good (the cover art is a massive spoiler)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Before this game studios had their own problems, in that it was exactly the same except the slave labor was just an explicit part of the job before they had to start pretending they didn't grind people into dust.

But yeah, this is basically a result of game dev companies becoming an exact mirror of film companies except you don't have a constant line of work. This is why on-disc DLC was a thing for a while, because after a team had finished their work, if you didn't have another game you were working on (which is now way less common due to massive studios also having multiple offices, each relegated to a single project), you'd just have them start DLC before the game was even out because they had the free time. Now you just boot the massive teams you don't need anymore because game companies have figured out the new solution to this problem, which is to not actually have any employees at all and just outsource as much of the work as you can to third-party companies.

This is actually where all labor is moving towards in all fields unless government protection kicks in

Gig economy stuff accelerated it sure but 0 hour contracts in the UK, at will employment in most of the US and other countries learning from it mean you’ll eventually end up with this model just across different periods of time

Maybe I have projects and fire you when the project is over, like game dev or construction. Maybe I pay you hourly and take out hours when business dips a bit.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

It took MS buying Bethesda and fixing their poo poo console ports but I am now playing Prey, a game from 2018, and actually loving it

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Am I misremembering or was there not in fact a way to buy the gacha currency with real money

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Barudak posted:

While we're ragging on Lunar Dragon Song lets mention other great things about it

1) The way you make money is accepting delivery quests, fighting monsters to get the items you need, going to the destination and turning them in. This is mind numbingly tedious but there is no fast travel between places on the world map, if a town is 3 dungeons apart you gotta go through those three dungeons again, buddy. Where it reaches the peak is that the quests it gives you are entirely randomized, so the optimal way to make money is just have the game reroll quests as frequently as possible hoping the delivery is in the same town you start in for items you already have so that you can avoid ever actually delivering packages which is literally the protagonists job.

2) The final boss is a palette swapped boss you already beat

3) Just before the final boss fight, a character in your party sacrifices themselves to slow down the boss. You then take their sword and throw it into the boss as a symbol of revenge and honoring the fallen. The boss, completely unfazed, tears the sword out of themselves and proceeds to use it for the remainder of the fight to deal massive AoE damage to your party.

I am still upset I bought this game. In case you forgot it cost MORE than a DS game at the time on top of that bullshit