Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

I've honestly lost track of the cesspit of backstabbing claim and counter-claim. You'd think Starmer with his legal background would have spent the past year smoothing stuff over and putting these cases to bed rather than leaving them to fester like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
She's giving a speech on the economy right now. I'm sure it'll be suitably vacuous and inadequate.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Jippa posted:

How much of the country do you reckon will have been vaccinated by june 2021 (if we get the euros)?

Most of it, probably. Our vaccine programme is still one of the fastest rolled-out in the world and June is 3 months away and all the evidence is that even a single dose enormously reduces the risk of death or serious illness from Covid. I'm in my 40's and am expecting my 1st dose by April.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Weird to think that less than a year ago, I was in the Labour party and basically well-disposed towards Starmer, prepared to wait and see how he wanted to move the party forward.

Now I've left and am actively hoping that he eats poo poo and trashes his career. I made a post soon after he became leader where I talked about how I'd attended his 1st Zoom meeting and how he seemed a sensible chap etc. I'll have to see if I can dig it out for the schaudenfreude (on me).

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Well, I found this quote of mine from mid-April 2020:

Pistol_Pete posted:

My 2 cents on Starmer: I don't believe that he's some lurking right-winger, poised to purge the party and set it up as the Conservatives Mk2. His record shows him as a centre-left technocrat and I expect him to broadly continue along those lines. What does worry me is that I think he's over-cautious and unimaginative - we have an unprecedented opportunity right now to fundamentally change the ways things work in this country and my feeling is that Starmer will resoundingly fail to grasp it. I've got the dispiriting feeling that we're going to see Labour repeatedly outflanked on the left by the Tories, while Starmer prevaricates and hedges for fear of upsetting some focus-grouped demographic or other

... I was partly right, I guess. :suicide:

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Stephen Bush can be quite perceptive but he has a couple of massive blind spots. One is anti-semitism in Labour, where he's completely internalised the concept of the Corbynite anti-semitic Left and reflexively believes any and all allegations made, no matter how ludicrous and tangential. The second is that he's firmly committed to the concept of Starmer being a good and effective leader and is forever banging on about how Starmers personal ratings are better than other Labour leaders at this point in their leadership, 'cos that's the single solitary metric he can find that shows any sort of positive.

Actually, now I've typed all that, I'm not sure that he really is very perceptive at all.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Hey Crispix! You've woken up early too, then?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I made the mistake of looking at Reddit where the ukploitics sub, home of weirdo centrists, is arguing their right to "regulate" "gypsys".

There's some left wing Uk subreddits that are a lot more palatable but the main Uk politics one is very much full of: "why don't poor people just stop being poor" kind of posts.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Everyone's been cooped up in their houses too long and we're all getting stressy. Better times are on the way: 21 million people have had their 1st vaccination shot and even 1 shot seems to reduce the risk of death or serious illness from Covid by 80% plus. Fingers crossed: in a few months time we'll all be sat in the pub talking about how poo poo the last year's been and how glad we are that it's over now.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

kecske posted:

*attenborough voice* without the common pissflaps or vitamin p to unite against, the posting colony quickly turns on itself

Starmer hasn't done anything dumb for a couple of days and we've lost our focus of true hatred.

I'm sure on Monday he'll suspend Diane Abbott or something and things will go back to normal.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
The thing about the Queen is, she's reigned for so incredibly long that only a few very old people can remember having any other monarch. It'll be a real shock to people when Charles (or possibly sulky William) steps up.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Unkempt posted:

I just bought a resin 3D printer for less than $300 and it prints stuff like that for about 10p worth of resin. I think they might be in trouble soon.

They're doing brilliantly. If I'd stuck my entire pension fund in GW shares a few years back, I'd be able to comfortably retire by now, 'cos they've gone up by something ridiculous like 1,300%. Basically, they looked at 2 strategies: selling cheap minatures to encourage as many people into the hobby as possible, or sell very expensive minatures aimed at a relatively small number of 'whales' (nerds with well-paying jobs in coding and engineering and the like). They chose the 2nd option, which has paid off extremely nicely for them.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
People have had a year to see how Starmer actually performs in the role and by any measure, he's been less than outstanding. There'll be plenty of 2019 Labour voters who viewed him as a fresh start initially but have since become much less enthusiastic towards him.

Like people have said in this thread: there was a strong base of support for a Corbyn-style offering delivered by somebody more competent and media-palatable and if Starmer had stuck to that, I think he'd be polling a lot better. I think at this point, a lot of voters will be in a: "Well, at least Corbyn stood for something!" frame of mind.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Jedit posted:

"While we understand that the public believe that nobody is truly safe if the Metropolitan Police have begun raping and murdering white women with no criminal record, we must stress that the incident occurred when the officer in question was off duty."

Lol:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/mar/10/sarah-everard-arrested-police-officer-not-on-duty-when-she-went-missing

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

OwlFancier posted:

Glad to see that rayner is just as much of a useless sack of poo poo as starmer tbh, seems pretty predictable.

Rayner definitely suffers from imposter syndrome, she always gives off those faintly terrified, 'supply teacher who can't control the class' vibes.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Even the Tory press are all wtf about this. Astonishingly braindead strategy from the Met.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Apraxin posted:

The Met continuing to bring their patented de-escalation skills to bear on the situation:

Reaching 'USA police officer complaining that he was "afraid" when he repeatedly shot a fleeing black person' levels of whiny defensiveness there lol.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Communist Thoughts posted:

Divide and conquer. You just need to get people who would otherwise be on the same side to argue about statues instead.
So far humanity hasn't come up with a counter to divide and conquer.

Me and some gammon can agree that the bankers should cough up their cash or that the british economy should be in the hands of the British people but we can't agree that Churchill wasn't a racist.
Noteably whether Churchill was racist or not doesn't effect either of us materially so we can discuss that in the media as much as we like.

And we can turn all the relevant issues of our decaying state and collapsing environment into symbolic issues that don't threaten anything.

To a great extent, all this culture war stuff is specifically aimed at keeping the Labour party off-balance and on the defensive. Take Churchill: there's a cohort of younger, urban Labour voters who are rather ambiguous about him and a 2nd cohort of older, 'traditional' Labour voters who think he's wonderful. Make Churchill the story and straight away, you're splitting Labour down the middle and putting the leadership in the impossible position of making a coherent response without annoying any of their voters. It's completely shameless but undeniably effective politics.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
The AstraZeneca vaccine is being suspended all over the EU. I'm a bit baffled as to why.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
It's just the tiny number of people experiencing potential side effects vs the much larger number of people who'll definitely die from Covid if a vaccine rollout's delayed seems an odd trade-off to me.

Especially as the European rollout of the vaccine was pretty rubbish already.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

OwlFancier posted:

Apparently the universe heard me whinging cos I just got my appointments, yay.

Not looking forward to getting into boro in the middle of rush hour but still, woo.

Also not really a fan of how the booking website encourages you to just click on locations without reading them to get to final confirmation because otherwise someone will snipe your slot and you have to start over again.

Just got mine booked for this week, even tho I'm only early 40's. An advantage of living in an inner city with a much lower average age, I guess! Just got to survive 3 more days...

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah, I think it's been said for years that the Financial Times is one of the better papers for a leftist to read since it's for the capital class, not just another propaganda rag, so it has reasons to report accurately on things that might affect the bottom line, since it's the job of the other papers to massage it to a capital-friendly message.

The FT unironically gave Corbyn and McDonnell's economic policies a fairer hearing than just about anywhere else in the press.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

JoylessJester posted:

I'm abit confused a few of my friends have got jabs despite being in their mid 20s, healthy and not in targetted professions, are some surgries just zooming down the list quicker then others?

Yeah, definitely: if you're in an area full of oldies, you'll be waiting ages for them to get to you; if you're somewhere with a lower average age, you'll be seen much quicker. I'm in an inner city area with a lot of young families, so am getting my 1st shot tomorrow, even though I'm only 43. My colleagues of similar ages who live out in the suburbs are all still waiting.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Just got vaccinated!

Nice, easy experience: I was in and out within 10 minutes. All very brisk and efficient: they were obviously set up to get through as many people as possible.

If I get any blood clots, I'll let the thread know.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

The last couple of weeks there has definitely been an increase in the random phone calls from HMRC / Royal Mail / DPD etc claiming that you have a parcel to be delivered with a fee to be paid, a warrant out for your arrest or whatever. I've had more in the last 2 weeks than in the last 2 years. I asked on FB and others experiencing the same.

I hang up on the breathless 'car accident' lady. I did get one a few weeks ago from a car accident lady who sounded more like a real person so I wasn't quite so abrupt before hanging up in case it was a hapless UKMTer just trying to make the rent.

Talking of which, is there an official UKMT flag and leader so I can put up a flag and framed portrait of a Dear Leader behind me on my zoom calls?

When I get a call from an unknown number these days, I answer it silently. If it's some sort of robo-scam, it doesn't get the verbal response it's expecting and automatically ends the call. If it's a real person, after a couple of seconds you'll hear a slightly confused: "Erm... hello?", which means it's probably safe to go ahead and talk to them.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Pistol_Pete posted:

Just got vaccinated!

Nice, easy experience: I was in and out within 10 minutes. All very brisk and efficient: they were obviously set up to get through as many people as possible.

If I get any blood clots, I'll let the thread know.

Eurgh, I'm wide awake and feeling all weak and shaky now. I guess that means it's working :)

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

His Divine Shadow posted:

I developed fever chills last night and slept under several blankets, then around 3-4 in the morning I was burning up instead. Now I am feeling just sorta drained all over. Injection site is sore as well. I sure hope the 2nd jab isn't worse...

EDIT: Oh yeah 38 degrees C, not going to work today... Damnit I have a lot to do.

Lol, same! Wide awake at midnight achey and shivering, then far too hot later on. Finally got back to sleep about 4am. Now I'm kinda headachey and cold again. I guess a strong reaction means it's working, right?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
This thread is definitely at its worst late at night, when everyone's been drinking.

Like, I'll see a bunch of new posts, think something's happened, then I read them and it's just a bunch of people telling each other to gently caress off out of the thread.

It's kind of dispiriting.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Jakabite posted:

Bristol police station under siege with a burning police van outside. Bristol does not gently caress about.

I nearly went to that protest but ultimately decided against it. Wish I'd gone now, it looks pretty effective.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Jakabite posted:

Judging by the extremely poor mask discipline, there're gonna be some long stretches for this I imagine. If you're going to do naughty things where there are a lot of cameras (literally everywhere in Britain), where a mask people. I cannot stress this enough.

Yeah, I was taken aback by this too. The police get awfully grumpy when stuff like this happens and will go to considerable lengths to track participants down: why on earth would you be there without a face covering? I mean there's no excuse: everyone's got like half a dozen masks at this point.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
The FT once again showing that it's the only paper in the Uk remotely grounded in reality:

The Financial Times posted:

The case for taxing the rich more

With an end to the pandemic in sight, policymakers’ minds are turning to replenishing Covid-depleted government coffers. That will be no small undertaking. In the UK Budget this year, the government said its borrowing in 2020-21 would be £355bn — the highest since wartime.

So where is the money going to come from? The rich have had a “good pandemic”. Many ultra-wealthy people saw their fortunes grow considerably in 2020 and the professional classes who have held on to their jobs have suffered comparatively little in financial terms (they may even have improved their own balance sheets because they are spending less).

Talk of tax rises is common — and there is a growing appetite for taxing the wealthy, which has been out of favour since the 1970s. In the US, the Democrats control all three branches of the federal government for the first time since the early Obama years. The Biden administration is planning the first major tax hike since 1993, which will include higher taxes on higher earners. Meanwhile, Argentina has already passed a one-off levy on the wealthy.

But this raises a wider question — what level of tax of is “right”? Income tax rates in both the UK and the US are at historically low levels. The key period is the 1980s when, under Reagan and Thatcher, the top US and UK rates fell precipitously, although they have since increased. The average top income tax rate for OECD member countries fell from 62 per cent in 1981 to 35 per cent in 2015, according to an IMF blog.

Of course, higher-rate income tax is not the only tax that targets the rich. There is also capital gains tax, some property taxes, luxury taxes and so on. Finally, there is talk of a wealth tax.

In December a group of UK academics known as the “Wealth Tax Commission” proposed a one-off tax on total assets. One figure bandied about was 5 per cent on everything over £500,000 for an individual (or £1m for a couple) to be paid over five years. Rishi Sunak, the UK finance minister, has said repeatedly that this will not happen. But even if it does not, there is a good chance tax rises that affect the better-off will.

The arguments against progressive taxes on wealthier people are well-known: tax people less and you incentivise wealth creation. You prevent wealthy people from becoming tax exiles and stop money fleeing offshore; if you give the rich more, they spend more and everyone is richer.

This thinking, as espoused by the economist Arthur Laffer, was popularised under Reagan and has proved remarkably persistent, despite considerable evidence that tax cuts do not work this way.

The latest such evidence comes from the London School of Economics. In December it released a study looking at 50 years of tax cuts across 18 OECD countries. The conclusion was that cuts did not lead to significant increases in competitiveness or GDP. Rather, the main thing they led to was greater inequality because the top 1 per cent captured nearly all of the gains.

“Our research shows that the economic case for keeping taxes on the rich low is weak,” said one of the authors.

Those who advocate higher taxes note that countries such as Sweden do not seem to suffer from a lack of dynamism, and that the postwar decades were high-tax, high-growth.

And higher tax rates rarely result in mass exoduses. When the UK briefly raised the top rate to 50 per cent a decade ago, some wealthy people, such as the financier Guy Hands moved. But many stayed put, perhaps deciding it was worth paying a bit extra to live in London rather than Guernsey.

In fact, the level at which marginal tax rates become an overall negative may be remarkably high. In 2012, two economists, Peter Diamond at MIT and Emmanuel Saez at Berkeley produced a paper arguing that the ideal top rate for society as a whole was 73 per cent.

As for the rest, the idea that cuts for the rich produce more economic activity than those for the poor (who almost certainly will spend them) is questionable at best. Here it is worth remembering that the term “trickle-down”, which is widely used to describe supply-side economics, was (probably) coined by the humorist Will Rogers in a 1932 newspaper column on the shortcomings of President Hoover.

A related issue is the idea, popular in conservative libertarian circles, that philanthropy from the (lightly taxed) rich can replace some of the work of taxation. Exhibit A here is often the Gates Foundation, which has given away more than $50bn since its inception. Yet, although many charities do fine work, philanthropy as a substitute for government spending brings problems of its own.
Bill Gates’ foundation has given away more than $50bn, but philanthropy as a substitute for government spending throws up ethical problems © AFP via Getty Images

One is that billionaires can pick and choose their causes in a way that governments cannot.

You may be very happy with the Gates’s charity work. But you may be less keen on philanthropists who fund causes such as climate-change scepticism. More generally, philanthropy tends to benefit charismatic causes such as the arts and the environment over less charismatic ones such as alleviating poverty and poor health.

A further problem here is that allowing philanthropy to take over from taxation is another way of ceding power from the state to the wealthy whose influence is already cause for concern. The comedian Henning Wehn summed this up neatly in 2019 when he said: “We don’t do charity in Germany. We pay taxes.”

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I was surprised that things kicked off as intensely as they did tbh, I guess lockdown's turned the country into a bit of a powderkeg.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Jakabite posted:

Mixing up wardrobe especially includes shoes. Shoes are one of the most identifiable things on a person and I feel this is often overlooked. If you did do anything naughty at any point, also be sure to not wear those clothes again if they’re even vaguely identifiable (as in not literally a black hoodie from primark). I know a guy who got caught for criminal damage committed six months prior to his arrest cos he was wearing the same kefir at a different protest. Went down for three months for the sake of not changing his kefir up.

Yeah, a lot of the people involved in this sort of thing seem quite... naive? Like the not wearing a face covering thing that I mentioned earlier, bringing their phones along with them (tracking devices lol), making posts on social media about it and yes, failing to understand that the police can have long memories where these event are involved and that they can absolutely nab you long after the fact if you're fool enough to go round in the same outfit you were wearing while you merrily booted the wing mirrors off a police car the previous year.

There's only so much safety in numbers: if the police are annoyed and embarassed enough, they can devote a lot of manpower to tracking down individuals in crowds who think thatbthey can break stuff, then quietly sneak anonymously off again.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
It's pretty grim seeing Europe moving back into lockdown, just as we're shifting into moving out of it. It's looking to me very much like the pace of the vaccine rollout here is going to allow us a pretty normal summer, whereas much of Europe is still going to be stuck in restrictions. I think that the panic and hot language about banning vaccine exports etc from some European leaders is genuinely felt and one reason for that is the political carnage that's looming as their electorates get a change to register their fury through the ballot box.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
AFAIK, it's a deliberate strategy to get at least some vaccine into as many people as possible, which I tend to agree with: I think it's preferable to a much smaller number of fully vaccinated people and a majority with zero protection.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Dabir posted:

Youse heard about this new Reddit admin they've hired?

It's an awesome piece of old-school internet drama, for sure. I've just had a look at Reddit and from the way the admins are talking about it, I suspect there's some sort of super-injunction been deployed.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Why not just go for the Aldi version, 'Not-Lurpak'?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

lol isn’t it likely to be the exact opposite? Any company not allowing flexible working from now on is likely to struggle to compete for staff with those that do.

I know that’s one reason my company are sticking with it.

That and the fact that companies now know that they can significantly reduce their rented office footprint without damaging productivity. Rishi's battling the tide here tbh.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
In the end, it's all about the bottom line. I can well believe that there's a certain number of middle management types who are badly missing having a team on hand who they can hover around and micromanage. But the company bosses who make the decisions can see the enormous savings on rent and utilities that come from reducing office space and well, money talks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Bristol gearing up for Round 3 of protestors vs police :laugh: