Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I can't believe you got me a new thread for my birthday AGAIN this year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I like RTS and don't want to see it switched off, they should make another supreme commander IMO.

I strongly agree. Or go the whole hog and take the Total Annihilation name complete with original soundtrack.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Oh gently caress I could sell .303 caliber chocolate to commemorate war christmas.

Full of caramel with a primer made of pop rocks.

Camrath get on this and I PROMISE to stop forgetting to buy your lovely fudge

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

peanut- posted:

I thought Starmer's point was good when he said Sunak got through his whole speech without once mentioning the NHS or social care or really unemployment, but it didn't land. Probably because he said in in his godawful moaning voice.

This is a great point - he really does just sound like a moaning middle manager having an ineffectual whine about whyyyy is no oneeee following the ruuuuuuulessss guyyyysssss. I'm a sensible adult listen to meeeeeeeeeeeee. The fact that liberals ever thought he was their big hero (and still do) is an absolutely brutal indictment of them not just as political commentators/participants, but as human beings. Anyone willing to follow someone like that has no business with anything.

Fudge update: I asked my partner to order me some for my bday. Then I threadsearched Camrath's name for any potential goon specials and realised today was last orders day :'( Indecisive like Kieth

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Camrath posted:

I love the idea, but I’m not sure fudge would be firm enough to hold its shape outside the mould for something as small as a .303

Now a .50BMG, maybe..

Incidentally I’m currently pricing out moulds- if I were to offer solid fudge Easter Eggs, would people be interested?

yes, and if it had chopped nuts in i'd buy the whole stock

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Matt Hancock pisses me off. He’s on telly waffling like a year 8 trying to give a presentation about Roman medical practices and it just hits me so hard that these people aren’t even competently evil. If he’d not become an MP or been born as who he is he’d not make it past middle management at a small car dealership. I know I’m preaching to the choir but Jesus Christ

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Endjinneer posted:

Walking round Morrisons today there was a gentleman ranting at his wife about "seven loving Chinese all in a row down that aisle".
I don't think it's uncharitable to assume he didn't bother to confirm whether they were a family or a queue.

This is the worst version of ten green bottles I've ever heard

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I legit cannot wait for this interview. Imagine if Meghan just outright says 'I didn't want to raise my kids around a guy who's almost certainly a paedophile' lmaoooo. Could be spicy.

It could also be a total car crash though :downs:

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I find that lefty spaces tend to be approximately as full of arseholes of all stripes, on average, as any other random grouping of people.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Yeah I would not characterise the thread as welcoming in the least right now.

E: 35 is an age that, when you reach it, you might start to worry about being halfway through your life. But really, the first 18 or so years barely count so when you think about it you're not even a quarter through! Congratulations :)

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I'm strongly looking forward to lockdown ending and doing things again.

E: can whoever's doing this buy me a horrible new av please? I've had this for ten years now

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Ms Adequate posted:

e; I remember the heady days of someone going around giving half the thread incredible avatars relating their supposed experiences with random Brit celebs and so on. Much better.

Fucken hell I thought I was halfway done with this shite you're telling me I'm only a quarter??

This is why you Jokerfy in a video game way

That's right!!! Buckle up cos the 21st century is showing NO SIGNS OF SLOWING DOWN

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

feedmegin posted:

Mate, you joined a cult.

This isn’t all that different from a hell of a lot of ‘leftist’ spaces. Hell, the idea that quality of life in the U.K. might be better than somewhere with mass drought, famine and war is usually met with indignation in this thread.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I was rummaging through some old documents and I near enough spat my drink when i saw I had a certificate from the UKMT

Then i looked down and was disappointed.

Oh poo poo I think I have one of these!

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Tbh that works less well in the U.K. because if you don’t take your trolley back here you lose your quid

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Launching the trolley back into the bay is great. Always puts me in mind of an astronaut jumping in zero G between two shuttles. Only the initial push to give direction and the float towards the destination fuelled by hope. The price of failure: disaster.

As if Waitrose don’t have the quid too. I might have to go to the one near me and see for myself. That might be my weekend activity.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

BTW I finished that game I mentioned before, Breathedge. I had a lot of fun even though the game clearly accelerates after the initial portions where you could only be in space for a minute at a time before suffocating compared to the later game where you can basically free float without a fuckin' care and then never go into space outside of your spaceship again.

Thanks for reminding me to check this out!

I really hope the police for once exercise a modicum of restraint in regards to the protests tomorrow. I’m genuinely worried for those attending, full solidarity to them. Who am I kidding though, we’ll get the usual heavy handed authoritarian bullshit. gently caress the pigs. Scum, every last one of them.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I'm absolutely shaking with rage tonight. My partner went (I couldn't due to geography so went to a local vigil which, while fine, still had police hassling you to leave as soon as you'd lain flowers or whatever - like gently caress off, paying respects and remembering isn't just laying some flowers) and got pretty roughed up and I've not been this angry in a long time. How dare they? One of their own KILLED A WOMAN BECAUSE THEY COVERED UP HIS PREVIOUS SEXUAL ASSAULT and they react by kicking gently caress out of women trying to grieve???? I'm not surprised, I've seen the met take a peaceful protest and turn it into a loving brawl plenty of times, but this is just a step beyond. This wasn't activists, this was people who may never have even been at anything like this before, people who just wanted to pay their respects, subjected to police violence totally unprepared. I can't imagine how traumatic that is for a woman who isn't expecting it and has never felt threatened by the police before. I'm just so angry for them all. gently caress this country and gently caress the Met. Utterly depraved, evil thugs. They had the loving TSG turn up. The TSG are the territorial support group, a famously violent squad of riot cops. I've been in a copshop when they all left before and saw their insignia, which they hide very well apart from the t-shirts they wear under their armour - I'm not kidding, it's a skull with crossed batons behind it. loving animals.

Solidarity to all women and all people affected by gender-based violence, and all people affected by police violence.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Even Lawrence Fox is against the police lol

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Nothing will change soon. It’ll take a generation raised to fear and distrust the state and the police and the press and all the rest of them. That is happening, I hope.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Salisbury Snape posted:

So why is a 6pm curfew for men a good thing?

It's not. But it was a rhetorical thing said by one person, not a serious proposal. And the fact that you've as far as I can tell never posted in these threads before and now you're here with some bullshit contrarian argument makes me think you aren't in here in good faith, and don't actually care about the safety of women. So gently caress off.

E: @Trin, thanks for the reassurance, and I know, they're thankfully awful at being procedurally correct. But as said above, arrest and all that comes after (bail, searches of your home, re-interviews, etc.) can be super damaging. I went from being a fiery protestor and outgoing person to a hermit who's still terrified of cops because of a violent arrest by the the spice girls. I used to feel I was above that fear, as a confident, fairly neurotypical white guy, but that experience absolutely shattered me. Hell, I'm still under investigation a year on technically and still live in fear of that court summons, or a knock with a search warrant, even though I know logically that the case is piss weak. The feeling of being in a cell and being told over and over that you'll be in front of a court and off to prison for few years the following morning is indescribably traumatic, even if it's all lies and bluster. Even the feeling of being cuffed and isolated from your people is awful. They make sure you know that they have the power and your life and safety is entirely at their whim. And it is awful.

E2: While we're here, it's worth reminding everyone: do not talk to the police, if you're arrested say nothing but your name, nationality and address, and get a proper solicitor - Bindmans or Hodge, Jones and Allen in London. If outside of London check before you go to a protest which solicitors Green and Black Cross recommend. Your freedom could literally depend on it. I'd almost certainly be serving time right now if not for having done that.

Jakabite fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Mar 14, 2021

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

On this note, can we maybe talk about the message sent by the police waiting around for a while and then going in heavy on this particular protest as soon as the sun went down?

I think a big misconception will be that this was incompetence, but it wasn't. It was the Met establishing the one fact that they rely on: 'we are the boss'. It doesn't matter who you are, they will gently caress you up if you question them. They did that. Will it be successful? Probably, but maybe not. In any case that's more people who see them for what they are and that can't continue forever. We might feel despondent but people won't be kicked around forever. I spoke to people who were there today and the police were kettled by the public multiple times today. People were de-arrested with force. The takeaway might be the violence the police inflicted on the people, but the people inflicted violence back. We saw it at BLM last year, we've seen it here, and a police force cannot continue to operate if enough of the public turn on them - that probably won't happen this year or in the next ten, but it will happen.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

namesake posted:

Anyway remember last year when that copper on the horse charged into the traffic light? Good times.

I was just thinking about that. Good times.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

killerwhat posted:

I also went to New Scotland Yard this afternoon. It was my first protest! I’m glad it stayed peaceful, it was scary to see how many police were around. I suppose that’s the point.

Thanks UKMT for radicalising me :)

Nice one! Hope you got something out of it!

I've been thinking about trying to do a law conversion - it seems like one of the few careers that will stretch me while also managing to link in with what I care about. Obviously would go into immigration, employment or public order (on the defending side of things obviously). Anyone got any tips/reasons this is a terrible idea? Would be good to talk to someone who's done similar. Also willing to hear arguments for this being a counter-revolutionary strategy

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Borrovan posted:

I teach GDL, not gonna post about it rn because I'm as hung over as balls, but pm me if you want to have a chat about it

Wicked. Just PM me any time you can be arsed/remember, and if you haven't in a few days I'll shoot you one. Appreciate it.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Trin Tragula posted:

In regards to this point specifically, by taking this road, you do become part of the system. You have to be okay with that. You can do a lot of good (some of the time), but you will be doing good within the system.

You will also get into this to help people and do good, and you will then have to come to terms with, more often than you'd like, there's not a whole lot you *can* do other than damage limitation.

Do not underestimate what impact either of these things might have on you.

Thanks for this, I appreciate it.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
HC is good cos you can get stuff there that you can’t find anywhere else. A Christmas trip to HC is one of the very few occasions when I might actually taste something I’ve not really tasted before. If it’s on discount, however, that is obviously the best.

What do we think the chances of this protest bill passing are? Needs 40 Tory rebels - is that in any way realistic?

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Jesus Christ I just had the most mad experience. On way back from the Sisters Uncut protest in Leeds and stop off at the memorial and having a quiet moment with my partner and our (female) friend, and I hear male voices coming from the street next to us: 'pretty soon you'll just have to look at the floor everywhere you walk.' I'm thinking that surely this can't be the conversation I think it is. Then 'really they should be thankful you find them attractive'. As soon as I stop being lost for words I realise the other two haven't clocked it so turn and say it's not the place to be having that conversation, then I tell the other two what they said and my friend, the legend, shouts 'you loving CUNTS' after them. Then they actually have the audacity to turn back towards us as if to start something and say 'it wasn't about anyone here' and we let them know we don't give a gently caress.

They walked off at this point but gently caress me. What the loving gently caress. Loudly chatting about you can't leer at and harass women in the street next to the memorial to the woman recently taken from the street and murdered. What the gently caress.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Ok fonts of all knowledge ITT, I had an email from Spotify saying I was one of the top 5% listeners to a particular band and inviting me to premium. So I googled premium to see how much the bands get from being on Spotify and couldn't find any actual figures but wasn't 'encouraged'.
What's the best way of supporting artists? I'm guessing it's not buying off Amazon!

Spotify is a terrible way to support artists and the best way to do so is see them live or buy their merch, but in terms of the 'consumer experience' it can't be beaten for my money. Basically any music through one app, downloadable, for a tenner a month? It's absolutely unbelievable value for money. But yeah I'd recommend jumping on Spotify Premium then judiciously forking out for merch and albums to support artists, and of course seeing live music whenever you can.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

At some point if you're just going "well support the artist by buying merch & seeing them live" you'd be as well pirating the music as subbing to Spotify Premium. At least that way you're not giving money to a capitalist middle man :shrug:

Theoretically I like the idea of it recommending new stuff but I don't use it enough for the algorithm to be any use. I keep it installed on my PC in case my HDD dies and I have to rebuild my music library (which I've already done once & let me tell you, re-ripping all those CDs is a loving nightmare because boy is it time consuming. And space consuming. My parents attic has boxes of them.) so I have SOMETHING to listen to but these days for new music if something isn't on Bandcamp for me to preview it Youtube probably has it.

This is all correct, but I'm also a 'listens to a few songs by each artist' guy and also a 'lazy' guy. I admire your dedication though, as this would be my ideal method in a 'jakabite's not a lazy oval office' world.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Wolfsbane posted:

So there is such a thing as a below average capacity for learning, but no such thing as an above average capacity?

And yes, if you tell people that the problem their child is suffering with doesn't exist then they will tell you to gently caress off. Not sure why that's surprising tbh.

I don't agree with TP that gifted children don't exist necessarily, but I also don't see how you could take what TP said and read it as 'learning disabilities don't exist'. Chill.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Would be good to get a lowdown on exactly what went down with that (NIP stuff) and if anything’s changed.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
A good bet can still be (and often is) on an outcome other than the most likely one.

Crispchat is fine but I feel like we were actually getting somewhere with the NIP stuff - I think if I'm going to support it I really do want the full story of what happened with the no-platforming thing. If both Rumda and C-NIP (and anyone else who was about) could find the time to write a little more about what, exactly, happened, I think a lot of people would appreciate it. Whether I support the NIP depends on it, cos I really would find it hard to support a party that thinks platforming fash and terfs is cool and good. I could handle some people naively believing it is but if that's the only acceptable position in the party then... yeah, not good.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Rumda posted:

yeah its never gonna get anywhere its going to face the same canned response of oh she's just a crazy trans woman mouthing off that it always gets both inside and outside that party the well has been poisoned too much for anything I say to be taken seriously

Hmm, well that''s fine but there definitely are people here who don't just think that and will challenge anyone in the NIP who explains it away in such a fashion.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

learnincurve posted:

No.

This is about off forum drama and transphobia that’s being dragged in here that people should ask her about.

I’ve tried to ask several people about this off site drama to no avail. Rumda does tend to be right and should keep posting, tho I do have a natural aversion to people who seem very aggy about things from the off. Maybe that’s more my issue tho idk.

Also purely anecdotal but I know a few people who went to derby and they all hated it. I also know quite a few people who went to Sheffield and all loved it.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Ash Crimson posted:

Don't get me wrong, trans people who suck are real,I exist for example, but I just want to get across that it's really easy to label minorities as aggressive or angry when all they're doing is asserting their own experiences, stories and discrimination

I like you and don’t really get why you get so much poo poo for your views on Scotland and the U.K. to be honest. I get what you’re saying, I know a lot of trans people and the vast majority I find Very Sound. After VitP’s frankly completely unhinged attack on Rumda i do think it’s time to get them out the thread. I can handle having VitP around if just for someone to argue with but that really crossed a line.

E: yeah I literally can’t form an opinion on the NIP stuff cos no ones giving any details.

Jakabite fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Mar 20, 2021

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Rumda posted:

Okay so the rundown of the incident in NIP the best I can remember.

Someone with access to the NIP twitter account posted an unhinged post basically saying that no racist movements had ever come from the north, this led to obviously a bunch people pointing out the contrary and some people advertising their specific fash group. This was then taken down and a new post stating the the northern independence party was against racists and facism in all its forms and apologised for giving a platform for people to talk about fascism in the north. Which almost everyone thought was fine except the leader who demanded it be taken down as it was displayed a new policy which hadn't been agreed and he disagreed with, in his experience no platforming doesn't work.
This was followed by the slack admins cutting short any protest, and when I mentioned in has only joined the party because I was reassured by the party secretary that the party was actively in favour of trans rights and actively opposed to TERFs in any state and it was concerning that the leadership would be willing to debate my existence when it came down to it I was suspended from the slack for what was supposed to be 24 hours but 36 hours later I had to ask to be re added.

So in the meantime the parties inclusion and diversity officer an non-binary woman of Jewish heritage tried to protest this action and was also suspended from the slack and from the party and had the slack admin and complaints committee head abusing her. Her husband the party secretary was also removed from all leadership channels and had his slack privileges revoke (though they kept his payment details on the hosting service the parties site used).
In after this given they had no reply to any attempted contact from the leadership, the ex I&D lead posted about it on twitter, and I came and posted about it here both of which got the same response of oh you're just making poo poo up because you are angry for some reason, though in her case the abuse continued.
Then that started to the general response to me when I posted about anything here, and then the exact same response when I finally got admitted back into the slack.
And even when the party approved a statement condemning fascism and transphobia no mention of it was made on the twitter feed or any public facing page. And when I asked about that and kept asking the parties deputy leader who was trans herself tried to use a post they had made a month before the membership had opened saying trans rights are human rights (a completely useless statement of faux support but that's for another rant) and her existance as deputy leader as proof that they had public condemned transphobia, and even tried to used the conversation between me and the secretary (who was still out in the cold) to back that up.
So I quit the party since it was obvious they were no different than every other party on this most important issue for me, (they didn't cancel my membership payment until after they took another month from me) and in another labour echo the complaints and internal affairs team decided that although things weren't handled at all right during this situation they were going to keep everything as it was.

Cheers for writing this out! Sounds very poo poo indeed

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I'm not being funny but pornstar martinis are genuinely banging.

Old fashioneds as mentioned also real good, though if memory serves you don't shake em. Have you made a pina colada yet? Another p basic one but drat they are nice.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Bristol police station under siege with a burning police van outside. Bristol does not gently caress about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

kecske posted:

was it a 'conveniently parked and abandoned in the path of a protest' van

What are you implying?

And yeah if every city in the UK was like Bristol we'd be in a much better position right now. Nation of loving bootlickers