Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

lol

https://twitter.com/siennamarla/status/1366332988540284932

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Sanguinia posted:

Boris Johnson is going to be mythologized to the same degree as Margaret Thatcher in my own lifetime and its pretty depressing.

Doubtful, all the people who love him are dying off.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/SpookyLovejoy/status/1366935845467529217

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

From the USPOL thread (it's about the BBC):

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

We've all stopped a random black guy on the street of D.C. and assumed he was Cory Booker.

Happens to everyone.

---

Correction and apology: Friday 26 February 2021

In our Newshour radio programme on Friday, a man claiming to be Senator Cory Booker was interviewed in what appears to be a deliberate hoax. We have apologised to Senator Booker and are looking into what went wrong to make sure it doesn't happen again. The interview only aired once at 2000 GMT on Newshour on Friday 26 February and has not appeared elsewhere.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/5BLDCC5j1wV4h2JF1WnDpct/correction-and-apology-friday-26-february-2021

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

The dislike of Harry is obviously due to racism in massive part, but don't forget that the press hate him because he dares mention how awful they are and a lot of people just follow along with that.

Also, there is a core of people who hate anyone who is seen to be damaging the monarchy in any way. A lot of people vocally hated Diana, though they suddenly went quiet in late summer of 1997 for some reason.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

BTW, I hope this finally puts to bed the discussion about whether or not Glenn Greenwald is a fascist now:

https://twitter.com/KnowNothingTV/status/1367512104140492801

Answer: he is.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Jose posted:

yeah no

Another quote from that interview (with Tucker Carlson's website, btw):

quote:

I don't really buy into the idea that Black Lives Matter protests and George Floyd protests are organic. Liberals loved those protests because they get to focus on racial issues instead of the economic issues that truly divide us. Why did these protests just spring up magically under Trump? Where were these people under Obama and George W. Bush? Where are these people under Biden? I don't see thousands of people out on the streets every night since the election. Is that a coincidence?

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Jose posted:

you're currently a member of a party that is led by a torture supporter

Sorry, I forgot about all the good people who work for a nazi's website.

Is Glenn Greenwald secretly your dad (somehow) or something? What is with your bizarre maximalist unshakable defence of a man who thinks that Black Lives Matter is a false flag?

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Another reason the Daily Caller is a nazi website is that they just ran an interview with Glenn Greenwald, a Strasserite Nazi.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Scikar posted:

Your argument at this point is that he's fash because he has joined a fash show, and the show is fash because he's joined it.

My argument was and is that Glenn's a fascist because of all the fascist things he's said, and as an aside I mentioned he appeared on a fash website.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Anyone watch the TV film that came out a few years ago called King Charles III? It's basically a thought experiment about what would happen when the queen dies. Essentially, it posits that Charles is incapable of not meddling in politics and then causes a constitutional crisis. He's then forced to abdicate by his children in order to save a monarchy on the verge of collapse and then extremely begrudgingly kings William. It's also kind of weirdly prescient because Harry gets a black girlfriend (though a working class British lady with a council flat) and then leaves the royalty.

So the whole "the crown should leapfrog Charles to William" idea is pretty established. What's most interesting about all this stuff now is that William's brand is also being tarnished.

E: btw, is there anywhere to watch the whole interview right now?

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Also, lol

https://twitter.com/JimMFelton/status/1368866521347407872

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Unkempt posted:

So wtf are 'wheat people'? Google gives me an odd NYT article about 'wheat vs rice people', is that it?

It's pretty obviously a slang term for white people.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Aramoro posted:

In the group they don't say white. It's either 'wheat', 'whyte', '6f' or just 2 wheat ear emojis.

Heh, "6f" is pretty good

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

"Grok" is much worse than a cyberpunk term because tedious wankers unironically use it as if it means anything more than "understand".

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Is that East 17?

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1368935059634462722

Guessing tomorrow's papers are going to be pretty vile, even by usual standards.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

gently caress off out of this thread Vitamin P, or at the absolute very least never talk about trans issues here ever again. People have memories, you know.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Since we're talking about monarchy stuff, I should say that I heavily recommend watching The Crown on Netflix. I was very sceptical to say the least, but after the Tories getting upset about the most recent season last year, and the fact that I didn't have anything else to watch I decided to give it a go. Got to say, it was one of the best TV shows I've watched in a while. Excellently written an acted (though there is some hilariously clunky exposition sometimes). And ultimately it's about a group of people in an exceptionally weird situation and so is kind of inherently interesting.

Politically though, I'd say that the show is quietly anti-monarchist. It's not like it comes out of the gate with a full-throated condemnation or anything. But as the episodes accumulate, you are shown over and over again that these people are completely detached from the people they are nominally supposed to represent and know basically nothing about the British people (not even to mention the Commonwealth). They are constantly consumed by dramas that no real people actually give a poo poo about. The Queen is generally an okay person but also an a mundanely unimpressive woman thrown into this role that overwhelms her, and she's weirdly unemotional as time goes on. For everyone else it seems like the pressure of royalty pretty much ruins their lives.

There's an episode set in the 70s about this documentary that Phil put together as a fly-on-the-wall thing as yet another modernising effort. It's a disaster, because the public hates seeing the Royals be all boring and normal. They say that the problem is that the documentary demystified the family - but then you realise that the entire Netflix show is also demystifying the monarchy, the very thing that they themselves think will destroy them.

Anyway, it's good and you should watch it.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

:same:

The Crown is an enjoyable watch, but it is (a) very badly written [my missus is a script editor and development exec and the show drives her absolutely mental at least once per episode], and (b) it is decidedly a masterpiece of pro-Royal propaganda.

Essentially, it functions as a kind of "limited hangout" like the CIA used to do/still does. It concedes certain horrible and indefensible behaviour by certain Royals, or in fact that certain, specific Royals are horrible. But it does so in service of a larger narrative - that the Royals as a whole are human beings who are concerned with the maintenance of national stability and the managed decline of a glorious Empire. That is simply, empirically not true, and you should not become addicted to ideology here.

For examples, look at how the show handles all of the Edward abdication and Marburg stuff, vs how it treats Philip's family history.

Personally, I am convinced that Peter Morgan works as a de facto member of the Royal PR team, and does a pretty decent job of achieving its aims despite his serious limitations as a showrunner.

Enjoyable watch though - Jonathan Franzen described it as being like watching an aquarium and he was totally right, plus the production values are insanely good.

It absolutely isn't pro-Royal propaganda, not only does it show all the awful poo poo they've personally done, it also constantly undermines the idea that the monarchy has any real connection to the people of the country. Over and over again their talk of hallowed tradition is shown to be absurd.

And of course the royals are shown to be humans, this is the fundamental concept of drama, and also literally true? Unless you're going David Icke on us they are actually human beings. And there's no reason to think that their conscious beliefs aren't that they are dutifully serving the country. It's bollocks of course, but it is what they believe. They're not moustache-twirling villains who do this because they just loving hate the poor so much, at least not consciously.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/DurstApologist/status/1370410564250443778

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

gently caress off out of this thread, Vitamin P.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Vitamin P posted:

No, I like it here it's a good and interesting online space.

Seems weird to hang out in a place where they want you gone.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Vitamin P posted:

Says a lefty still in the Labour Party.

Ha ha, we’ve all had a laugh, gently caress off you racist transphobe.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Vitamin P posted:

1800s and 1900s too to be more accurate

Nah if Starmer loses in 2024 then he's gone for sure, your basic point that right-wing Labour people are prioritising preserving a totemic socioeconomic superstructure way more than they are prioritising electoral victory is true but there is a level of real politick too, Starmers function is easily replaced and his ability is apparently pretty poo poo too, he has no ongoing value.

gently caress off out of this thread.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

crispix posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5LZfAVgnj4&t=1689s

wot do you lad dudes think about this old woke brigade calling for the extermination of all men??????! :ohdear:

Absolutely incredible that Emma Kennedy made a pitch-perfect satire of her own life twenty years later. That SDP mug echoes through the ages!

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

learnincurve posted:

Incidentally it’s utterly insufferable when some bald person then comes back with “ we have poor people too” well yes, I a poor person am aware of that, it’s just that London poor people don’t have to wait two hours for a sodding bus now do they.

Yeah, and London repeatedly overwhelmingly voted for governments that were likely to actually fix your bus problems.

E: And I'm not bald... yet.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Laurence Fox has found the ultimate way to destroy antifa - MORE STATUES

https://twitter.com/LozzaFox/status/1371428500637417474

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Also, lol:

https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1371471145510309891

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Vitamin P posted:

That's a really good article, and that is the right solution to right-wing populism. Even assuming good faith just because someone recognises the same descriptive problems as you does not at all mean that they'll support your prescriptive solutions. Across the west right-wing populism can basically be summed up as the old joke about Bannon, it's 'universal healthcare but only for white people', if you actually talk to these people then stronger union rights? Nah, they got annoyed by an uppity black nurse once. More social housing? So Blair can fill them up with muslims, methinks not. Taxing the rich remotely appropriately? Literally depends on if the rhetorical rich are within-that-conversation implied to be globohomo jews or Strong British Job Creators.

If woke leftlib idiots sometimes seem to not be objective humanists then that is so much more profoundly a problem with right populists.

I don't know if that's so universal, it feels like the time period when this stuff could be easily recorded and examined aligns with the time period when lots of world-changing things were happening very quickly. Not to be all Freakonomics but it does seem sort of intuitive that when you're young and thrusting and the world is potentially your oyster you'd probably benefit from widespread social change, but once you get older and you are probably living the statistically average life there's maybe less potential benefit to you in widespread social change, and heck you might even lose what you already have.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

NotJustANumber99 posted:

relax on this I think. You look like a nutcase.

Vitamin P dropped a shitload of transphobic poo poo on our trans comrades here, not even to mention their previous history of racism and sexism. They have then applied the most passive-aggressive internet move possible which is not to apologise, or even continue defending their statements, but instead to just lie low for a little while (literally just an hour or two) until the conversation moves on and then join in with the discussion as if nothing ever happened, taking advantage of the fact that on the internet it’s easy to forget exactly who’s saying what.

It’s not unreasonable to actually remember that poo poo. And you wouldn’t tolerate it if you were physically together.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I oppose a moratorium on Flapschat because then we would hinder our ability to recall his hilarious downfall and permabanning.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Got my first jab on Friday, FYGM.

Seriously though, who can doubt we live in a generation war now?

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

At some point if you're just going "well support the artist by buying merch & seeing them live" you'd be as well pirating the music as subbing to Spotify Premium. At least that way you're not giving money to a capitalist middle man :shrug:

Theoretically I like the idea of it recommending new stuff but I don't use it enough for the algorithm to be any use. I keep it installed on my PC in case my HDD dies and I have to rebuild my music library (which I've already done once & let me tell you, re-ripping all those CDs is a loving nightmare because boy is it time consuming. And space consuming. My parents attic has boxes of them.) so I have SOMETHING to listen to but these days for new music if something isn't on Bandcamp for me to preview it Youtube probably has it.

The point of Spotify is that it’s way easier and less hassle than pirating.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Vitamin P posted:

love to be a lib-left that doesnt support free speech because 'OnLy bAd PeOpLe GeT sIlEnCeD'

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I had the AZ jab over a week ago and had no real side effects beyond a sore arm for a few days.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

“The Shadow Labour Party” just sounds cool, there’s no way around it.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

This is a year old but :lol::lol:

https://twitter.com/Edwina_Currie/status/1242146490941923340

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

You only go for M&S for your bits, only a madman does a full shop there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Zero Gravitas, you should be angrier at Keir Starmer than anyone. IIRC, you were rah rah for Corbyn until the 2019 election, and then with the loss you backed Starmer in a pragmatic move. Now, I obviously wasn’t convinced at all, but I could see the logic there: a unity candidate who will present essentially the entire Corbyn agenda in an electable package the media likes. It’s not a bad idea, in those terms.

But, as a supporter of Keir, he has utterly betrayed you. He has torn the party apart, purging like loving crazy, even expelling the former leader (and then not letting him back in even against the advice of the NEC his supporters lead). There were plenty of opportunities to get people together that were lost, like the EHRC report. Just yesterday his staff was briefing that his problems were due to him appeasing the left too much (which is one of the most bonkers statements I’ve ever read). He has sprinted to the right disavowing any scraps of the Corbyn policies he pledged to implement, even when they’re extremely and widely popular. Instead he just sits staring at open goals with no idea what to do. Right now, the government has presided over the deaths of 120,000 people in just a year, one of the worst death rates in the world. At every step, Starmer’s gone out of his way to announce that he agrees with whatever the Tories do, meaning he can never actually criticise them for absently causing mass death of their own citizens, and collapsing the economy.

Oh, but it’s all okay because he would be fractionally better than the Tories, and of course he’s cruising to Number 10 on his cloud of electability. His opinion polling is plummeting, and is Labour is likely to lose another, once solid MP in Hartlepool. An opposition party is usually supposed strong in by elections. Even the Guardian and the Observer, Starmer’s core demographic, are asking what the point of him is.

He is delivering nothing of what he was supposed to deliver. It’s not a question of why we don’t like him - we never did and are unlikely to be convinced. The question is why don’t you hate him? He has made a fool of you.