Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Tomarse posted:

why would you not just set it up as a direct debit/auto recurring payment?

A lot of people living paycheck to paycheck might not have the funds to make sure they won't overdraw their account doing this, and get blasted with fees they can't afford in the process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

kronix posted:

To be fair, that was Bank of America and they were forced to pay it back.

When I was 23 and an idiot just starting my career I never had more than a a few hundred in my checking account and the days before paychecks could be rough.

Anyway, the day before I got paid, I splurged and bought coffee in the morning, some medicine at the pharmacy, lunch and probably some other random poo poo, all on my debit card which had enough to cover it all.

I got gas on my debit card after work and unbeknownst to me the gas station automagically put a large hold on my account, which triggered overdraft which was reordered so that everything I bought earlier in the day posted after the hold and I got hit with like 6 overdrafts or $150 in fees.

I bitched to BoA and their “favor” to me was to cut 6 overdraft charges to 3.

A few years later I got some bullshit settlement check in the mail.

Wells Fargo too, they hit new back when I was 18 aaaaaand broke.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Oof, like you think they're looking for your replacement?

That's a rough way to find out.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Dude's an unmedicated type 2 diabetic, eating 4000 calories of chicken and mac'n'cheese a day, I lost my poo poo, that's a march to a quick death.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

builds character posted:

You are missing me almost convincing him to get a very sweet truly terrible Winnebago. I was only foiled by...

:argh:

And ADHD. For which, ahem, in case anyone here has it and is not currently being treated, there are life-changing drugs. (Same is true of things like depression and anxiety) and if you need hand holding to go get them pm me.

It’s very difficult for me to tell. If he suddenly pulled back the curtain, I would say “yeah, that makes sense.” But if he was just a random dude hamstrung by brain chemistry I would also say “yeah, that makes sense.” I have to admit I was a lot more skeptical when he went from “I eat two buckets of chicken a day” to “I’m being healthy, only one bucket + multiple sausage biscuits.” Like, surely that’s at least tongue in cheek? At the same time wasn’t there someone who was doing keto and ended up almost having a heart attack because they kept eating bacon grease. For every masterful troll there are a ton of messed up folks. Truck pics also seemed legit. It looked like he got a new exhaust put on right before the thread got goldmined and that’s an expensive ruse.

Lol, sorry to ruin the fun, I think that dude acting like all my super self destructive junior sailors who I end up having to have daily counseling sessions with to try and keep their impulses under control just triggered my protective and nurturing instincts.

Plus empathy from having unmedicated ADHD my entire adult life.

If that dude is trolling, it's such masterful work that it becomes indistinguishable from reality.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

IOwnCalculus posted:

I was going to try and refute this using the 4cyl 1998+ Ranger as an argument but... no, you're right. Holy gently caress prices have climbed since I bought (2011, $2300) / sold (2014, $2500) my '98. Certainly needed a lot of parts thrown at it over the years, but rarely anything that was going to cause a "stranded" issue, and I've never seen anything with parts as cheap as a Ranger. Only failure that ever had that could have left me stuck was when I replaced a leaky water pump with one that cracked less than 100 miles later.

But now trucks in similar condition to how I sold that truck, are asking $3500-4000 on CL and FBM, and "similar condition" probably means at least $500 worth of cheap-rear end parts that the truck could use.

This reminds me that mine's wandering again, and needs all new control arms up front.

Blegh.

Plus that time the engine seized on the highway due to lack of oil (oil was added and it was restarted).

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

everdave posted:

STR a 96k mile Matrix you already own is the smart answer, I say wistfully gazing upon my backyard with some of the most bizarre cars you can imagine. But I also understand wanting to be more comfortable.

And Elviscat what is this magic pill that will make me happy? I go to the doctor next week if anyone has a suggestion on something for anxiety or mental health I will research and ask about. I am on nothing now, my choice, to see how it would go for 6 weeks. Not going so good

That was Builds Character replying to me, and specifically talking about ADHD meds.

What I do know about anti-depressants is that some work good with your brain some don't, it's up to you and your psych to figure out what, make sure you're very open and honest about your alcohol use and history, even try to find a psychiatrist who specializes in addiction, some drugs interact really badly with booze, but some can really help restore normal brain chemistry while recovering from addiction.

E: I can't take any drug that changes my brain chemistry because of my job.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Mar 4, 2021

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Coredump posted:

I will say that Rozerem might be worth a shot for you. I can feel it making me sleepy in the evenings and it makes it easier for me to wake up in the mornings even if I don't get much sleep at night. My next plan is to try and combine Rozerem with Sonota since its supposed to be fast acting to see if that will work. I need to see about going thru the test for ADHD as ADHD sufferers have a hard time going to sleep at night as well.

I cannot loving sleep without at least melatonin, my brain goes crazy the second it hits the pillow, I loving hate it.

It's like a super power when I have to be up working for 24+ hours though, I thrive on a hosed up broken schedule.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I switched to 3mg with Lysene? Added, and that worked well, my most recent bottle is 12mg, and, well, that explains why I've been so tired in the mornings recently.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

STR posted:

Boss and I went over my performance review. Took all of 2 minutes, basically "only one thing I think you can improve on, here's how I think you can do better, and your raise is <x amount>" (it's an okay raise - about 5%, but I'll have another one in September). This makes 4 raises in less than 2 years, so I'm cool with being nearly $3/hr higher than when I started. BS'd for a minute after, casually mentioned that I finally got scheduled for my 2nd dose of the 'vid vaccine. He asked when it was. Told him Wednesday morning after work (sidenote: I'm normally off Wed and Thu; I would have scheduled it Tue if I could have, but I got what I could get.) He asked if I wanted him to move my days off to Thu and Fri in case I wind up feeling lovely.

Yes, please and thank you. I felt kinda lovely for a couple of days after the first, and the 2nd supposedly makes you feel a bit worse if you had any side effects. That'll save me from burning any sick time, and saves him from being down a person one night if I feel especially lovely. I didn't really feel the side effects from the first one for a day or so (aside from the injection site being numb), but when they hit, they hit.

Congrats on the raise!

Yeah, prepare to be in bed from about hour 12-36 after the shot, I couldn't believe how hard round 2 knocked me on my rear end.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Goober Peas posted:

Are you guys getting the Pfizer or Moderna 2-shots? Everyone that I know that got the Moderna were knocked out for a couple of days after the first and second shot. No one I know that got the Pfizer had a strong reaction to the first shot.

I'm scheduled for the Pfizer on Friday.

I got Moderna, no reaction to the first shot besides injection site pain, second shot kicked my rear end, similar results from the other 30 people in my office, Mom, and various healthcare related acquaintances and family.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Yeah definitely will be some dirt biking happening on the top 3 acres or so. Below the road, the elevation takes a turn for the steeper...

Sounds like you can set up some sweet hill climbs then, start prepping for Erzberg.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

STR posted:

That's a very poor example. :v:

I've seen Tiesto and plenty of other big name EDM artists. I've been to plenty of raves (legal and illegal), and more than a few times, wound up just leaning on the speaker cabs for over an hour while on copious amounts of drugs. I can't hear poo poo anymore and my ears ring 24/7, but I'm sure it's unrelated

Reminds me, I need to get my sub + amp out of storage. Brokeback needs a little bump in its rump.

WHAT???

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Hey Waste Management.

gently caress YOU.

This is the second company to start sending me late notices while autopay is set up and turned on in the last two months.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

It's beyond insane, one of the guys I work with, him and his wife both work for the Federal Government, and cannot adjust their witholdings and owe $11k in taxes somehow.

Somehow this never happens to the Rich.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

STR posted:

2nd vaccine status: knocked on my rear end. I have no loving energy and very limited use of my left arm. :(

I'm surprised you have energy to post tbqh.

E: not to be snarky, I was asleep on and on for the last 24 of the 36 hours after I got my shot, and my head hurt too bad to read SA.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

In about a year I'm going to have to make the decision whether to get a degree, or go straight into the blue collar work force. I'm stil not sure which I should do.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

rdb posted:

I don’t want to discourage people but this is the god drat truth for some of those “dirty jobs”. If your back/shoulders/hands have problems already physical labor, carrying heavy things, repetitive motion, etc wont help. Its not worth a lifetime of pain. I see it time and time again, some people just aren’t cut out for it and back injuries don’t really heal and people feel like they are trapped and lol if you think the company cares.

That said, I have worked in transportation and manufacturing since dropping out of college with 55k in debt in 2001. I made great money and traveled all over the world after doing an apprenticeship. The work was enjoyable, flyer miles were awesome and the days off and per diem when I was in a cool place made it even more worthwhile. If you think you can handle it physically its way cheaper than college and I pretty much kept pace with or did better than my friends who graduated. Job security is hit or miss, if you are a member of a trade union its better.

I worked in the trades when I was younger, and being big, young and stupid I took pride in lifting heavier things higher and faster than my peers.

When I was 26 I lifted a 150lb piece of equipment over my shoulder, and carried it up 4 flights of stairs, blowing my intestines into my ballsack in the process.

Now I'm a lot more careful, and I never let the guys who work for me do the dumb poo poo I used to, but it's too late and my body's paid the price for it.

Fortunately any job I have going forward (if I don't go back to school) is going to be as a technician or supervisor, so I should be relatively safe from that kind of damage going forward.

The Door Frame posted:

Yeahhhhhhh.... right now I wish I'd done more industrial design and less welding. In my current situation, in 3 months I'll graduate with a degree in welding and my level 1 AWS certification, and be unable to get a job because I can't stand for more than 45 minutes without pain or lift more than 40lbs

Oops

That loving sucks man, I loved the job when I was an electrician, but I'm way too scared to go back, between the constant fear of losing your job due to economic collapse, and the almost complete lack of safety net if you hurt yourself, I can't go back to construction.

I hope you manage to find a job laying down beads at a table all day, or whatever you can do with your physical condition.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

On a light note, I evacuated my corner of the office this morning, STR style, just blasting putrid stank rear end everywhere, I couldn't figure out what was wrong with me.

Then I remembered we did family St Paddy's day yesterday at my house, and I ate like a pound of my mom's excellent corned beef and cabbage, then I finished it off with a six pack of Guinness and a liberal amount of Jameson's when everyone else went home.

It's still there somewhere, I keep scaring the stray off my deck.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

builds character posted:

Won't you get some GI bill money? I think if you can go into a skilled trade that's one thing. If you can't, that's another. What, generally, do you want to do? Have you considered getting treatment for ADHD prior to making this decision? UW is certainly a good school and is still GI bill-cheap for in state.

Yeah, I'll be eligible for the GI bill, UW would be the school to go to, since it's a solid engineering school, and the stipend for attending a school with a Seattle zip code would easily cover my mortgage.

Fortunately I'm qualified for some pretty awesome skilled jobs, I have a few leads for stuff like medical imaging maintenance and datacenter maintenance that pay pretty well.

The job I really want is quality assurance on rocket engines, I'm well qualified for it, and one of the giring managers is a close friend. If I can get a Fri-Sunday shift I could pull in a decent salary and go to school.

The various online degree farms are an option too, but it seems like a BS from one of those and a quarter gets you a bus ticket and not much else.

The real question for me is will I be satisfied working on stuff forever, or do I want to get to design stuff?

For the ADHD part, I've developed pretty good study habits over the last 11 years, but if I find myself getting bored I'm definitely gonna look into treatment options. I'm pretty sure I would've blown my shot at college at 18, had I taken it.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

cursedshitbox posted:

Yep. All you really can do here. Have a gently caress Off Fund and always keep irons in the fire. The notion of lifelong careers or job stability is a thing of the past.

new cooling pump arrived so that I don't need to trust a local parts store generic with my house, spouse, or my life.

:nms:
(GMB housing with a flowkooler impeller)

Its legit too nice for the engine it'll get bolted to.

That's a hell of a water pump, I work with a lot of pumps, and the stamped sheetmetal "impellars" in a lot of water pumps bug me.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

FRP has amazing mechanical properties.

What do you mean, "degradation?"

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Happy St Patty's Day. Celebrated by getting my 1st vaccine today and ordering $40 worth of delivery cupcakes for my bday Friday.

Nice, happy bday.

I did my good deed for the day, the store was out of Guinness except for a few packs on the top shelf. I used my superior height to retrieve them for a number of folks, chatted with them briefly in the beer cooler, it was kind of nice, made me realize I've missed a lot of that sort of thing the last year.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

THAT IS A LOT OF MILES.

I owned a similarly aged VW Passat, it was fine, I wish you the same luck in car ownershi, please be advised it might become painful at some point with a car of that age.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

kastein posted:

Yup. They use bare neutral with ground rods wherever the tweakers haven't stolen the lowest 8ft of 6awg copper. They don't have to follow NEC rules on conductor sizing either, forget what standard they use instead.

NESC. Gotta get those free air ratings, and sizes based on what you think a house will draw. Also how they get around fusing drops, utility distribution transformers are about the only piece of equipment that's not fused for equipment protection (it is fused to protect the upstream wires though) which is how you get sweet transformer fires/explosions.

They also have really, really robust grounding networks at the substation, UFER trenches and buried copper plates and stuff, a few people have learned what happens if you cut those ground wires (you die)

The Al neutral on triplex should have a steel reinforcing core, it will gently caress up your cable cutters if you try and cut it, I always go through it strand by strand with my dikes or linemans.

Sorry about all the family/work stuff y'all are going through, that's tough poo poo to handle.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

slidebite posted:

Kinda sucks for the family though :(

In my news, made it to Moms for the first time since dads passing. Got out of the truck and my muscles are achy as gently caress. Over dinner I got the chills so bad I looks like a wicked parkinsons case and goosebumps were wild. I was shaking so badly I couldn't carry my glass of water without 2 hands. My right jaw has been kind of achy the last couple days too, but I just chalked that up to grinding my teeth badly due to all the stress lately. Took a 30 minute shower at 8:30 and felt quite a bit better and now laying in bed and kicked the wife to the spare room.

If I'm not better tomorrow, I might investigate if I can get a test. gently caress. I hardly go anywhere and always mask and sanitize.

I bet it comes back negative, severe stress can cause crazy loving symptoms. Of course testing never hurts.

Vaccination is getting hosed up royally, my State is doing it by App, so I had to help my elderly mom get on the list, but my GF got it a few weeks later the second they opened it to essential workers of any age/health.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

^^^ Metabo makes a good saw too.

I found that when I hook up a vaccum like that to the dust chute, the little lips that catch the dust fold up and don't work well anymore.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Coredump posted:

Seems the worse one thus far was one of the vaccines they thought might cause blood clotting in Europe so they pulled it. But given was Covid-19 does and its long term effects I'll take my chances on the vaccine.

The EU equivalent of the FDA has already re-cleared that one, and that's not one available in the States.

They usually hold you for awhile after you get the shot to monitor for an allergic reaction.

While the trials were sped up out of necessity, all the necessary steps were followed, same as any vaccine, now millions of people have got it and all the data still shows no severe side effects.

It sucked that it knocked me out for a day, but that's still better than the best reasonable outcome I'd have with COVID, and infinitely better than the worst.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

everdave posted:

Got my vaxappointment tomorrow, on my birthday, at 12:30. Hope it doesn’t make me feel like crap. It says Moderna

First dose is pretty light on symptoms.

meatpimp posted:

The recent results I've seen are that the vaccinated are immune from infection, but also don't transmit. And with two vaccinated people, the risks are minimal.

The "you might still be infectious!" Thing always seemed like a CYOA to me, those effectiveness numbers are for "the virus is undetectable by a PCR test" how would you be infectious if you don't have enough of the virus for a very, very accurate test to detect?

I'm not a scientist or doctor though.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

ED is a middle age white dude living in suburban Georgia, who doesn't post outside of this particular sub AFAIK, I doubt he's exposed to anyone as far liberal/left as the most centrist of us in his day-to-day life, and I can't see that post as anything more than some genuine squeamishness around getting shot up, which albeit he's expressed concerns about that have been answered before.

But he did get the vaccine according to his posts, he listened to everyone here, and everything's turned out well. I think it was a bad probe. I also think it's easy to lose sight of how far removed from the normal US ideology this forum is, as someone who's considered a radical leftist by my coworkers, and a centrist/succlib/war criminal by these forums.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I do know, I also know that has to change somehow.

A 6er for legit concerns about a new medication isn't that.

If it were ""concerns"" about people of a certain ethnicity, sexuality, or gender nonconformance from expectation I'd feel very different.

It's perfectly natural to seek reassurance/anecdotal evidence from people you trust if you're nervous about something, and there's a good number of us here that are fully vaccinated and can relate our experience personally.

Again, I'd be a lot less optimistic if it wasn't:

ED: "I'm worried about the vaccine"

All: "Nah, the vaccine is good, and very well researched"

ED: "Ok, sweet, I scheduled an appointment to get it, maybe I'd feel different if I didn't have kids, but I do so I'm definitely getting it"

I just don't see how you draw a negative from that interaction, or think it's worth probating.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Oh poo poo, I didn't realize there was any offsite component to this, I apologize for getting into it then. I do think the probe reason should have reflected that though?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Nothing can resist the power of that sweet 'stache. Keep getting it.

My life may be literal unending stress right now, and I'm drinking wine from a bottle while sheltering in a messy cave I can barely heat, but I have two cats, a girl, and a family who love me for some reason so it's all cool.

Was gonna post pictures of the cats, but my phone's not recognizing my SD card.

E: restarting fixed it

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Mar 23, 2021

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

rdb posted:

I managed to drop an 84” tractor bucket across my foot, broke toes. Stupid quick attach lever was stuck and stupid me pushed on the bucket. Then, getting into the cab, busted a kneecap on the door frame. Tore something or another because it doesn’t bend well and has a new shape. Have a safe weekend, mine is pretty much over.

Ooof, that sounds fuckin painful.

T-Square posted:

A real clusterfuck

Goddamn.

I am so hosed on meeting any of my deadlines on my house, 10-13 hours a day at work this week, I'm tearing my fuckin hair out.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

StormDrain posted:

Thanks guys! I will get some wheel covers then, I can't ignore two suggestions in a row.

I pre-painted all the trim, and I painted the field before applying it so I wouldn't have to cut everything in and I am so happy with the result. I do have some touch up and I ran out of field paint for the soffits, so I didn't save myself all the pain. Also I was fortunate that I love the color of my house so I just used the same colors.

Now all that's left is ignore the last things to do on the shed for a few years and finally knock it out in 2025 or in the month before I move.

Congrats on finishing your shed, and not leaving it permanently untrimmed and unpainted like I did.

:effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Darchangel posted:

A current passport is all you need. The gold star is for folks who don’t want to pay the $175 to get one, really. And totally security theater, too. The DHS is a bullshit agency, and desperate to justify its existence.

A 18 year old kids are gonna house sit for me in a bit, as a transition to living on their own, they currently live with relatives of mine that are not their parents.

Anyways, one of them needs an ID, so they can get a job and stuff you need as an adult, turns out the Federal Real ID standards make this almost loving impossible if you're under 21 and are emancipated from your parents. It's a big crock of horseshit, and as usual discriminates against the segment of society most at need of the service, and least able to cope with the added requirements.

And as you point out, does absolutely nothing to enhance the real security of any living being.