Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

To be fair, if we started dating and you said you didn’t like my friends and it was them or you, I’d laugh in your face and say so long, regardless of how lovely you think they are. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I dated a girl in my early 20s who’s mom and her were pretty much dirt poor with nothing to their names, but mom was (and still is) with a dude who started up a successful outdoor TV network or something and was absolutely filthy rich. Her mom got plenty of er, upgrades, courtesy of dude, and he basically said “We’ve been together a while, I love you and intend to stay with you forever and your daughter is like my own child, but we will not get married because no ones stealin my absurd amount of money, but also I will fully financially support you and if for whatever reason we breakup I have this very generous savings account set up for you so you’re not out on the street.

It was definitely kinda awkward that my girlfriends mom was 100% a trophy not-wife but I basically got to sleep over at a mansion whenever I wanted for a few years which was dope. Also, extra weird because it was literally like around the corner from my parents plain ol’ $250,000 house in a 1960s Midwest suburb, branched off in this hidden super-mansion neighborhood.

E: welp I did not refresh and see that the general conversation has moved on from financial/partner living situations and now this post looks weird

T-Square fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Mar 2, 2021

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Had my first real “in-law” experience yesterday. My fiancé’s mom has been coming over to spend more time with her since she doesn’t likely have a lot of time left. I’m posted up on the dining room table for work, which is otherwise completely unused, and on Monday she came over and they both sat at the dining room table for two hours chatting as if I wasn’t sitting right in front of them while trying to work.

Then yesterday she came back over and immediately started grilling us about how we’re handling her finances after she passes, the unanimous decision is that whatever she has left will go to me, and we both decided to just set up a Payable on Death order with her bank. Queue her mom for some reason trying to get us to do anything but that and basically arguing with me about it. Then she moseyed on into my kitchen and made lunch for my fiancé and herself and sat at the table where I’m working again and they both ate lunch in front of me. Thanks for asking if I wanted any!

T-Square
May 14, 2009

goatse guy posted:

I worked at two of the Minneapolis area stores between 2015 and 2019. I don't think it was related to anything at our stores, but they did change policies to keep the Garmins under lock and key after a sales associate swiped all of them during the holiday season and kept someone posted in the backroom at all times after someone walked through the back door with a bike.

I still got those kick rear end boots your co-worker at the time let us self-price :coolfish:

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Hawaiian shirts own, if I’m partaking in summer daytime weekend activities (read: day drinking) there is a 100% I’m wearing one. My fiancé hates them and I don’t give a care :colbert:

goatse guy posted:

:hfive:

That doesn’t happen anymore since half a dozen people got axed for giving steep discounts on damaged goods. Hope you got to see Lagwagon on tour in 2019 because I did and it was awesome.

I think I saw them in 2018, my friend and I saw them at like noon on a Friday at Riotfest in Chicago. They played “Let’s Talk About Feelings” all the way through, it was dope.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Guys, like 90% of the population outside of the internet likely don’t even know what a proud boy is, unless you like to wear your Hawaiian shirts with a dorky plate carrier and an AR-15, I think you’ll be fine.

I also don’t wear them while running errands or whatever, they’re strictly for drinking and chillin in, so YMMV.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I just started Yellowstone over the weekend and am already halfway through season 2, it’s been a while since a show really sucked me in like this one. Recommend it if any of y’all have Peacock!

T-Square
May 14, 2009

slidebite posted:

We have already been mourning him for the last month or so, so this will allow us, especially Mom, start to move forward.

Also:

gently caress CANCER

This is the part I’ve been struggling with, I feel like I’ve mourned a half a dozen separate times and at this point I know it’s coming and I’m just ready for it to happen so I can start the process of moving on and healing, and that makes me feel like an absolute garbage human being.

I’m sorry to hear that, but I hope he’s in a better place and at peace now. My sincere condolences to you and Mrs. Slidebite, and the street goes both ways, feel free to PM me if you need to.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I’ve been thinking about buying a squat rack myself and throwing some mats down in a corner of the basement so I can start attempting to not verge on doughy anymore. They’re kinda expensive though, so who knows if I will.

Just want to add that you’re all a really awesome group of people from many different walks of life, so keep on being you AI.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I miss my Haro. It wasn’t a vintage or retro one or anything fancy, but it had a flat black powder coat frame and was a cool rear end bike. I couldn’t do poo poo with it except for riding dank whoolies and I could do pretty big bunny hops. I legit have no loving clue what happened to it, one day I just realized I haven’t seen it in a couple moves and probably left it at someone’s house somewhere along the way.

This dude that we race motorcycles with has a pair of those vintage all chrome Powerlite BMX bikes that he uses for cruising around the pits on, those things are aces.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

That’s a really lovely situation dude, I’m sorry :(

T-Square
May 14, 2009

My fiancé’s parents decided they want to sell the Escape they’ve been letting her borrow since she really shouldn’t be and doesn’t drive anymore anyway, but I’ve been using since last October since it has snow tires. So yesterday I got off my rear end and pulled the TDI Sportwagen into the garage and changed the oil, checked things over, cleaned it out. Unfortunately did NOT check the weather, because I took it down the road and got it washed and now it’s supposed to snow today after being in the 50s and 60s for the last two and a half weeks :argh:

Also I think I solved the AdBlue warning light issue I asked about in here a while ago, I didn’t realize the AdBlue tank is FOUR GALLONS. I only put one half gallon jug in when it was nearly empty and thought that was plenty.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

4/5 people on my team including me were hired on last year to run payroll for a lot of people and assist with the transition to a new payroll platform which is happening at the end of this month, and so far throughout our training that has been mostly useless, it seems like a lot of our responsibilities are being farmed out or automated. The last like three weeks our group chat has been everyone stressing out about getting laid off. I’m trying to stay positive, but man, whatever it is I did to whomever to deserve all of this poo poo, I’m fuckin sorry okay, can I have like one singular thing in life go well? TIA.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Ether Frenzy posted:

Somehow got scheduled for my first half the microchip on Sunday (Moderna). I'm in my 40's and don't have any extra circumstances as to why they'd let me in, so this seems like a good advance for California's situation.

I’m assuming a ton of Johnson&Johnson vaccines got shipped out here to the Milwaukee area because a friend sent a public portal link to our group chat this morning and it asked for zero qualifiers or anything. I literally clicked on it at noon today, the only things it asked for was my first name and last initial, age, address, and then I got to pick an appointment and was given a form to print and complete to take with me. I set my appointment for 3:00 today and got my vaccine three hours after I clicked the link!

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Think of it this way. The likeliest worst outcome from a vaccine is a fever and feeling lovely for a couple days.

Then there’s the worst outcome from COVID which is you being dead. Don’t worry about vaccine side effects, just get it when you’re able to.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Trip report: Johnson & Johnson shot had me wake up in the middle of the night about 12 hours after the shot shivering like a mad man from really bad chills. I was pretty miserable from like 3AM til 8ish this morning, but I’m feeling a lot better already. A small price to pay in my opinion.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

64bit_Dophins posted:

I started working out yesterday and realized that my body has basically atrophied through this whole Covid lockdown. I'm starting with 10min of cardio and I plan on working up by adding 5 minutes on the treadmill each day this week. Next week I plan on trying to lift.

Seriously though I imagine a lot of other people are in the same situation. I've never been so out of shape in my entire life and honestly it's pretty shocking.

I’ve done spurts here and there over the last year, before losing motivation and sliding back into being a couch potato again. Thankfully at this point in time my body seems to have an upper weight limit of “moderate dad bod” so it’s not a ton of work to get back in shape. I’ve dug out the kettle bells again, am waiting for the dust to settle on a few things and will then be looking for a squat rack to put in the basement, and will be dragging the bikes up from the basement soon too. I plan on doing as much physical activity with my vaccinated pals this summer as I can after being confined for an entire year of my life.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

So our “area” of payroll runs payroll for probably 30,000+ employees across the US, Canada, Puerto Rico, and Guam part of countless Unions. When I started last April, I knew they were in the middle of a large project to get all of us onto the same modern payroll platform instead of multiple different ancient ones. What none of us knew back then was how badly upper management and the project leaders were royally loving it up.

The last two months or so we’ve been on countless “training” calls that literally all focused on one singular aspect, over and over again while everyone is going “Okay cool when are we going to learn literally everything else?” My team members have emailed management several times asking what everyone’s roles are going to be and when we are going to learn how to do them. Two weeks ago the head of our division suddenly announced her retirement effective next week. Monday we go live on a platform no one knows how to use or what they are supposed to be doing on it. Yesterday they announced layoffs of all payroll offices outside of our corporate HQ (where I am at thank Christ). My team forced our manager and her manager onto a call with us this afternoon and they tried to skate out quickly but I called them on it. I asked them how in the world have they been working on this project for so long and we’re going to be going live in three days and they can’t tell a single person what they are going to be doing? She basically started freaking out and you could tell she was trying not to cry while she spilled the beans about how horribly this was implemented and no one knows what’s going on. It’s pretty obvious now someone’s little project failed and they placed out to let the blame drop at someone else’s feet. Thousands of people are probably not going to get paid and Unions are going to bend our company right the gently caress over lol.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Forza Motorsport 3 sound track best sound track, fite me.

I went looking for some pork belly because my friend started talking about his pipe dream of starting a restaurant together again and the idea of creating “menu” items for pretend funsies sounds like a fun way to blow a Sunday here and there. Problem is the only place that I could find it only sells giant slabs of them so I had to clear out my fridge-width deli drawer to fit this 12 pound slab of pig gut. Gonna break it into thirds and freeze two of em and stick one in a chasu pork belly-sequel marinade tonight and smoke it tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Imperador do Brasil posted:

I officially submitted for vacation today. First time ever “officially” since we were acquired by J&J years ago. Two weeks in summer, planning a road trip with my older son. I put the bug in my boss’s ear this morning and he just said “make sure it’s official”.

I have four weeks per year and I’ve never taken more than one even before the corporate change, but I plan on using it all this year. Feels fuckin’ great to even try.

That sounds like a really cool way to spend your first real vacation in a while, I bet your son will love it.

I think when all of my terrible life stuff comes to an end and I start to feel some sense of closure I’m gonna dump all the critters off at my parents and ask my friend and his girlfriend if they want to go camping (real camping!) somewhere for like a week or some poo poo.