Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
upside boys and girls: this march is probably going to be significantly less lovely than last march

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

kastein posted:

I dunno about that, I just checked the numbers on worldometers and the worst days of last March (right at the end, pointed out here) were barely approaching the best days in months right now, which are probably only this low because the last two days were a weekend with low reporting as usual. We've just become desensitized by mass deaths.

you're absolutely right in absolute death terms, but i meant more from a psychological perspective. the situation is improving (slowly, etc) vs last march where things were getting worse and there was way more uncertainty about exactly how bad this would get.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Applebees Appetizer posted:

That's a huge red flag man, just saying.

I don't think it's inherently a red flag (she just graduated college so those people are her peers, basically), but the fact that ya'll aren't on the same page about it is!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I recognize different things work for different people but I don't think I would ever consider not combining money fully in a marriage. Just seems to be an administrative hassle and you should be on the same page regarding finances, approximately, anyway - if you're not, getting married is a bad idea.

However due to gnarlycharlie4u's bad influence my wife is slightly annoyed that I'm spending money on a new dumb expensive hobby: mechanical keyboards. I guess if we had separate finances she'd never know exactly how much money I am spending, so that would be good.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

fortunately vaccine roll out is on pace that you'll probably be able to do it earlier than that

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Rhyno posted:

Took my dad to some exams today, while driving home he basically admitted (under the effects of sedation) that he'd cheated on my mother years ago and now I'm very annoyed with him. They divorced 12 years ago but he was referencing events from 20 years ago.

Ugh.

theres a lot of poo poo that people say under sedation that isn't true, it's not truth serum

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah... not really. It's going that quickly in some places, but the state governments in the GOP-controlled flyovers are dragging their asses like mad, which is going to keep travel unsafe that much longer.

while this is true and very bad for residents of those states, as soon as I'm vaccinated I'm back on the road so I don't give a poo poo about Missouri's vaccine roll out in practical terms.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

T-Square posted:

Had my first real “in-law” experience yesterday. My fiancé’s mom has been coming over to spend more time with her since she doesn’t likely have a lot of time left. I’m posted up on the dining room table for work, which is otherwise completely unused, and on Monday she came over and they both sat at the dining room table for two hours chatting as if I wasn’t sitting right in front of them while trying to work.

Then yesterday she came back over and immediately started grilling us about how we’re handling her finances after she passes, the unanimous decision is that whatever she has left will go to me, and we both decided to just set up a Payable on Death order with her bank. Queue her mom for some reason trying to get us to do anything but that and basically arguing with me about it. Then she moseyed on into my kitchen and made lunch for my fiancé and herself and sat at the table where I’m working again and they both ate lunch in front of me. Thanks for asking if I wanted any!

although this is obviously annoying, prepping for the death of your child sounds horrific

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

StormDrain posted:

Good thing I started looking for work because today's email of new jobs includes the same role at my company. A sliver of hope that we procured more work, mostly certain I'm done here soon.

It's the same service and agent that I worked with. I kind of want to call her. I worry that might hasten things and end my ability to milk out a couple more paychecks.

If its due to an increase in work, you would have already been told. I guess maybe its possible someone got the steps out of order and you will hear soon but more likely you are a goner. :rip:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

all the long ways are boring too

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i sleep easily due to my untroubled child like conscience

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

that dash is money though

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

slothrop been neg'd

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

team plaid over here

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

64bit_Dophins posted:

Sometimes I think US women just like British/Aussie accents because they want to be taken away to a country with free healthcare and some semblance of social support network lmao.

nah in the UK i've gotten compliments on my somewhat bizarre mutt but fairly unremarkable New England accent, it's mostly just Difference

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Olympic Mathlete posted:

They were taking the piss, fella. ;)

it was brum mainly so everyone sounds better tbf

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

oh indeed, it was quite fun speaking nominally the same but an essentially mutually unintelligible language

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

64bit_Dophins posted:

I got a great performance review at work and I am getting a raise I just don’t know how big it’s going to be yet. The negotiation is going to be another call two weeks from now. So that’s good news/exciting!

sorry to hear bout your relationship but for this you should come join us in the negotiation thread.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

shy boy from chess club posted:

Looking at SSDs for the music gently caress around computer. Are there any to avoid or look for brand-wise? It'll probably be 5g-1t. I just ordered 8g of ram for it today so it should run pretty good soon. I just got done putting a fresh Win7 on it.

Also got an adapter to try to see what I can get off my old iPod HD. It failed but hopefully I can get it to run long enough to get all the music off. It probably has so much stuff that I forgot I had. I think it was almost full at 40gigs.

if it's just for music it basically don't matter as long as it's reasonably reputable. M.2 or 2.5" form factor, or don't care?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

shy boy from chess club posted:

2.5 since it has a 4 slot holder in there already. I may do some video on it too if it does alright when I try some editing on it if that matters on the HD speed. From what I saw they were like 400-500mb/s no matter what brand and I'm not a power user or anything so I could probably just get the best size/price.

Crucial MX500 is fairly standard rec for around $100/1TB. It has a SLC cache so it performs better than the BX500, especially as the drive fills up. The BX500 is about ten bucks cheaper, though, if you're really tight on cash.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Mar 10, 2021

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

re tax software although Free Tax USA sounds like some sort of Cato-adjacent PAC it is actually good, free, and not affiliated with Intuit. you do have to pay 13 bucks to file state, though.

There's also a tax thread in BFC that is generally useful.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

That's terrible, slidebite, condolences.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Darchangel posted:

Thanks, I'll take a look.
Somehow we made $10K more this year, which offset the withholding adjustments my wife made to her W2, we think. Speaking of, have you *seen* how they do the W2 now? You can't just follow a little checklist and then say # withholdings. No, they expect you to know how much you will make next year, with this over-complicated calculation - which specifically said that we should only make the withholding adjustment on ONE of our W2s. Thanks for that. Also, we're getting charged $10 for not withholding enough taxes. gently caress. You. IRS.

the new W-4 is significantly better in most cases but with variable income it is more difficult.

the important thing is not how much is withheld or not, it's what your total tax burden is. all withholding does is adjust when you pay taxes. If you're paying penalties you significantly under withheld. It's definitely complicated and frustrating but I doubt you're actually getting ripped off.

Agree that the tax code is pretty hosed and in a normal country you don't really have to deal with this.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

you should not use TurboTax because Intuit spends a poo poo ton of money on lobbying to keep the tax code complex and reduce availability of free IRS provided services

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

please dont get a degree on the internet from a degree mill

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I always liked the way those looked. Congrats!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

RIP Paul Walker posted:

My dad died this weekend and I’ve been sucking at work so much during his end and afterwards that I probably need to find a new job. I was hoping work would be a nice distraction but it’s the opposite of that.

Sorry to be a downer, but I wanted to share with the mostly-anonymous internet (also I know at least a couple people on this forum who have met him over the years).

gently caress dementia.

Also I hate Ohio and can’t wait to get back to Oregon.

Condolences, that's really, really tough. Does your work know what you are going through? Our place makes some pretty big allowances and tries to be very supportive of people who are having difficult personal circumstances.

You could be going to Oregon, Ohio :haw:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

meatpimp posted:

poo poo, if you didn't feel sad, THAT would be the problem. I'm sorry for your loss.

And I'm sorry for your being in Ohio. It's not all bad, but man, NE Ohio is pretty close.

I think NW Ohio is very bad too.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

meatpimp posted:

There's really nothing in NW Ohio other than corn fields and wafting Indiana smell. At least you aren't continually bombarded with lake effect weather like NE Ohio.

also toledo

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

mariooncrack posted:

Southern Ohio is bad too. Can confirm.

strange that all these places seem to have one thing in common

meatpimp posted:

I was going to add "other than that one place with the car plant," but didn't.:D

motto: you will do better in Toledo

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

T-Square posted:

4/5 people on my team including me were hired on last year to run payroll for a lot of people and assist with the transition to a new payroll platform which is happening at the end of this month, and so far throughout our training that has been mostly useless, it seems like a lot of our responsibilities are being farmed out or automated. The last like three weeks our group chat has been everyone stressing out about getting laid off. I’m trying to stay positive, but man, whatever it is I did to whomever to deserve all of this poo poo, I’m fuckin sorry okay, can I have like one singular thing in life go well? TIA.

I hope things get better for you soon man, not sure what else to do or say. Keep on keeping on.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Just saw an alert the local Emergency Serivces are offering free sandbags for a rain event tomorrow.

I live in the mountains.

How much rain are they expecting?!?!?

at least where i grew up in the mountains we got totally owned by a very heavy rain (like, the town i grew up in had to have the National Guard helicopter in potable water) because there's not very much topsoil to absorb moisture and very heavy rain over a brief period of time overwhelmed all of the streambeds etc, which coincidentally tend to be where the roads go

it was like 2-4 in of rain over the course of a day or so

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

a good rule of thumb is that if some dude is funding something on kickstarter that should be fundable via regular investment sources, that dude is probably never going to deliver on what they say they will.

edit: still sucks, though. that's a lot of money.

edit2: just buy the prusa man what are you doing to yourself

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

64bit_Dophins posted:

I started working out yesterday and realized that my body has basically atrophied through this whole Covid lockdown. I'm starting with 10min of cardio and I plan on working up by adding 5 minutes on the treadmill each day this week. Next week I plan on trying to lift.

Seriously though I imagine a lot of other people are in the same situation. I've never been so out of shape in my entire life and honestly it's pretty shocking.

Seems like people went to one extreme or another. I definitely went way harder on the exercise than I had before as one of my only ways to stay sane and stop working, and different stuff since I lost access to a gym.

RIP Paul Walker posted:

People kept suggesting I look at houses in Parma. Glad I decided to leave Ohio instead.

Houses in Parma are cheap! For a reason.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

cakesmith handyman posted:

Today's my son's second birthday under lockdown. poo poo sucks yo. Even he doesn't know what he wants so we got him a couple books, models, Minecraft swag, going to make the best pizza tonight and put a movie on, can't do much else. Sounds kind of pathetic when I type it out.

It sounds pretty good man! That's like my dream birthday except I'm 34 now. If you're still sweating it, I sure don't remember my second birthday so I wouldn't worry too much about it long term.

Modus Man posted:

I feel your pain there, my daughter’s 6th birthday was in the beginning of lockdown so we had to explain to a 6 year old why she couldn’t have any friends or family come over to celebrate with, and how sure we were that her 7th birthday would be a normal birthday party... gently caress...

Six is a lot harder, they got way more expectations and opinions and stuff. I bet kids birthday parties are going to go so hard next year.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

what a great little truck and a nice MIL to boot!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

yeah i mean let he who has-not-bought-some-random-rear end-poo poo-then-decided-that-he-hates-it-and-sells-it-on-immediately cast the first stone, this is fuckin AI