Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

STR posted:

GF told me to leave something out to remind her to pay rent. You know, the thing she's done on the 1st of the month for her entire adult life.

I printed up about 30 copies of the rent logo and plastered them all over the apartment, and set about 20 different reminders on the Nest Hub to go off at full volume... they're every minute from roughly the time she gets home until she gets pissed off enough to rip the cord out of the wall. I really should have set up a routine to go with it, something to make all the wifi connected lights start flashing, but :effort:.

I think that's subtle, right? :v:

My GF asked me if she could move into my apartment without paying for any of the rent because half of $1100 ($550) is too much for her?

I said no and I'm pretty sure she's going to break up with me now because she's been really difficult since that conversation.

If it truly is worst case scenario then I probably dodged a bullet tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

slidebite posted:

If someone is on hard times and you're helping them out that's one thing, but if they are "expecting" to live rent free because of monetizing sex or just $valuating$ their half of the relationship, yeah, that's bullet dodged dude.

Her dad owns 4 buissnesses and she has a fat trust fund. She has a job working for one of his companies and only makes like $16 an hour but in exchange he pays for her health insurance. She graduated college into the pandemic so it's basically a "I'll give you money, take care of you, and let you live at my house but you have to do something" kind of thing.

I made less than that for years and $550 a month is incredibly manageable if you have any full time job and make more than $10/hr. It's also not a permanent situation for her either.

Safety Dance posted:

When my wife and I moved in together, we worked out rent and bill payments proportional to the amount we earned. If you think that's equitable, you could suggest that to your GF.

Now that we've been together for eleven years, we just dump most of our money into the same pot and call it good.

That is a pretty good idea. She suggested to just buy some things here and there to 'contribute' but that's poorly defined. I'm also not ready for that step with her really.

shy boy from chess club posted:

Is this the otherwise cool lady? If so that really sucks, sorry man :(

Yeah she's pretty awesome all around except for this. Also she told me point blank that if I did not get along with her friends it probably wouldn't work out between us. She mostly hangs out with these 25-26 year old dudes she went to highschool with. They're into competitive smash brothers and are the drug nerd Research Chemical, smoke weed every day, popping pills, and drinking a lot - type.

It's very weird because she isn't really like that at all. From what I can tell she only smokes weed occasionally. Anyways, I'm sober and am not really trying to hang out with her loser friends. I don't understand why she cares so much about that really. Not sure if that's a deal breaker though.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Haha, I was totally the work related part but not because of being a peter pan, I just didn't take any bullshit and didn't care if i'd be homeless or not so I'd walk out whenever somebody pissed me off :v:

Luckily I always found another job pretty easily tho, and once I got into bartending I stayed pretty grounded.

Lol I did this when I was addicted to pain pills right out of college.

I was making enough money day trading crypto poo poo coins that I always had enough for next months expenses (which were like $1000 altogether) and I would just hop from lovely call center job to lovely call center job.

For what I was trying to do at the time (gently caress around and avoid sobriety) it really was not that bad.

Goober Peas posted:

I don't wanna grow up. I'm a Toys 'R Us kid.

F

That's a huge red flag man, just saying.

Yeah pretty much this. I got off the phone with her like 30 minutes ago and I brought up my concerns that she's upset with me. She told me yesterday that she was heading over and then just never showed up or responded to my texts or whatever which I thought was rude. She told me that she just fell asleep but still just text me that you're too tired or something idk. Or at least text me in the morning idk I don't think that's crazy. Anyways that led me to think she was upset or done with me or something.

So anyways I talk to her about it and she tells me that she's upset because I didn't offer to help her carry her cats litter box to the car? And that I never asked to come over to her place (she lives with her parents)? She never brought up any of this before so I guess she just figured if she pouted long enough that I would figure it out? I mean none of this would be a problem I just didn't know what was going on.

It's just ridiculous. I got so angry that I just told her I had to go and got her off the phone before I said something I would regret.

Probably going to break up with her unless something changes but I'm sure that it will not. I really do not have time for this kind of bullshit.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

T-Square posted:

To be fair, if we started dating and you said you didn’t like my friends and it was them or you, I’d laugh in your face and say so long, regardless of how lovely you think they are. :shrug:

I thought the same thing when she said it.

She really does talk about them a lot. Like to the point where it's kinda strange to me.

Anyways I was not sure how serious it would be. I guess going forward you should just believe people when they tell you things like this.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

LloydDobler posted:

My ex wife never wanted to hang out with my friends, and she didn't like my parents. Those were two huge red flags I should have seen waving. To be fair, I didn't really like her friends either, and in the ultimate of ironies, she burned all her bridges and all her friends ditched her one by one over the course of like 5 years. She was just really selfish. But enough about my lovely marriage.

Unless there's something else going on, if she's making $16 an hour, $550 is right around 25% of take home, basically one out of 4 weeks pay. That's totally doable so wtf. If you guys were a couple years in and engaged or something, sure - move in and I'll cover it. But "hi we just met, let me live for free" is :siren:gently caress THAT:siren:

Yeah it's not a great situation.

At least I can rest easy now that I have pretty much made up my mind about it.

I am not going back to the hellscape that is online dating though, so I'm probably just going to be alone for awhile. It is probably for the best haha.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Kazinsal posted:

Solidarity. :smith::respek::smith:

There's one lady I know who I'm kinda into but she lives in the US and I don't and honestly I'm not even sure if she's into dudes let alone me specifically.

I have one and she likes me back but she lives in NYC (I’m in Atlanta) 😭😭😭

But yeah online dating... Don’t want to go back to that. A bunch of horrible dates and rejections haha. Almost not worth the effort in my experience lol.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

builds character posted:

Look, it's none of my business so take this with a huge grain of salt or whatever. If you really like this girl I think it's worth at least having a discussion about how communication should be using your words with each other instead of letting things stew and expecting the other person to figure it out. It just seems a little odd to be like "hey she had a problem and didn't tell me about it" and then you have a problem and instead of telling her about it you're just like "gently caress it I'm done." Maybe you'll be done anyway, but "I really like you, I'm just not ready to move in with you yet and when we do I think we should be responsible with finances and split expenses in a way that makes sense." Or "look, I like you a lot but I don't want to play competitive smash bros and hang out with folks doing drugs but I don't expect you to want to spend hours crawling around under a rusted out 1989 volvo wagon and I think it's good we have stuff we do together and stuff we do just for ourselves." seem like they could go a long way toward figuring out whether that's a good thing or a bad thing.

I think you are right.

I'm going to try and talk it over with her the next time we hang out. If it doesn't work out from then I think I'm just going to cut the cord.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

T-Square posted:

It was definitely kinda awkward that my girlfriends mom was 100% a "trophy not-wife"

We call those sugar babies.

I have dated a number of rich girls over the years and it's always weird because I feel like I had it good growing up with my parents, and then I meet other people's parents and start to think that I grew up poor by comparison haha.

My dad had a Porsche Carrera 4 as his mid life crisis car so I have a hard time even typing that with a straight face but yeah I've seen some pretty obscene wealth.

I have a meeting with my boss next Monday in which I will be asking for a raise. I've never done this before but I really need a salary boost or I'm going to have to leave.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Greg12 posted:

hi
am i stupid for being excited about nu bronco (real, not sport)

My dad has been on the waiting list for the past year or so and he finally got approved. He placed his order yesterday for a 4 door soft top with the 7 speed.

Can't wait to drive it but there's no telling if he'll get it this year b/c there are 190k orders and Ford claims it can only produce about 70k a year at current volume.

meatpimp posted:

Never think you've seen true wealth. A family friend has a Carrera 4 Cabriolet. That he never drives because it's in one of his 5000+ square foot homes that he rarely goes to. It's astonishing.

And it's nothing compared to my best friend, who is high enough up in a company that he has meetings with the billionaire owner.

Most people never even SEE rich people. There are very few billionaires, and their wealth is staggering in comparison with the randos that have a few dozen million.

The richest person I ever met was the CEO of Hi REZ studios and his place was no where near as crazy as the on you just described lol.

LloydDobler posted:

There was a book called the Millionaire Next Door that surveyed people with net worth over a million, and the one thing from it that stuck with me is that most millionaires drive a not-new American car. It might be a nice Caddy or Denali but it's often not the luxury euro car we all think of. Hell, my 2nd boss was worth 19 million dollars and he daily drove a Lincoln Navigator. He did put a supercharger kit on it though.

That book was written in 1996. The advice is still solid and $1 million hardly makes someone rich these days...

Anyways I'm sure that most ppl in that tax bracket drive Toyotas these days tbh.

slidebite posted:

The gap in wealth between millionaires and billionaires is hard to grasp for people.

That said, people who are rich and relatively "normal" you'd never know they are wealthy.

Trump is basically a caricature of what poor people think wealthy people are like, making GBS threads in gold plated toilets, eating fried chicken with a knife and fork on china, but short of someone driving a Bentley, you would likely never know if the person next to you at the lights or the checkout of the grocery store has 6-7-8 figures in their bank account.

I think that was his appeal honestly. Everyone in America likes to think of themselves as a rich man in waiting.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
Will contribute to the psych med discussion tomorrow. I too have some bad brains and have a lot of experience.

Right now though, I'm pretty depressed. That girl I'm dating that I complained about earlier in the thread just canceled on me at the last second again.

I'm really depressed honestly. But I do feel a little bit relieved because at least now I know she does not respect my time. This has been causing me too much grief and I have decided that I'm going to just end it.

On the plus side I'm flying to Austin Texas next Wednesday to visit with some friends. At least I have that to look forward to...

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Well that explains a lot

Yeah I had a great experience with the brand name Adderall XR but the generic is total garbage.

My insurance (for some reason) covered vyvanse but not brand name adderall so now I take that and it has been working pretty well. Not nearly as "peaky".

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
I was going to say to use Good RX but they no longer write prescriptions for controlled substances :(

This relationship stuff is stressing me out. I talked to a few of my married friends and they told me that I should just give it some space so I'm not going to do anything rash like breaking up with her right away.

I'm going to just try to put this out of my mind completely and focus on asking for a raise during my performance review next Monday and the trip I have planned to Austin Texas right after.

What's fun to do in Austin Texas these days with Corona? I'm really just visiting some close friends but I'd like to see some stuff too lol.

My friend in Wisconsin offered to sell me his Conquest TSI for $3500. Drive train is fine but there is rust. I'm not in a position to take on a project car at the moment (mostly because it's pretty hard to work on cars when you live in an Apartment lol). Still it's really tempting - I've always wanted a conquest and I understand that stock ones are pretty rare at this point. Plus the price is so low it's like why not?

The conquest in question.

It has the digital dash too :)

CerealKilla420 fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Mar 5, 2021

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Mustache Ride posted:

Drinking at breweries with social distancing patios. Going outside and hiking because it's 70F. Driving around downtown and laughing at all the Chuds in super spreader tiny restaurants at full capacity.

I'm sober but hikes sound like a lot of fun.

I was thinking about renting a ridiculous car on Turo or something but last time I was in Austin I barely touched my rental.

https://turo.com/us/en/car-rental/united-states/austin-tx/bmw/i-8/859226?searchId=yk5Ypq0F

Still this looks like it would be fun. I've wanted to drive an i8 for awhile now.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Darchangel posted:

Man, sorry to hear that, but, yeah, if you're not happy together, what's the point?

Oh, just in time for the lifted mask mandate!
Welcome to your infection!

I'd have to really think about that one, and probably pass. No widebody pretty much kills it for me.

Yeah it's not perfect but it would be cool to have a nice burgundy car to trade for the clapped out burgundy e92.

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Do you happen to have a motorcycle license? Last time I was there visiting a friend, I rented a bike and we spent a day riding all through the "Hill" Country stopping at BBQ joints. It was fantastic.

I've ridden motorcycles before but I don't have a license so that would be a no go.

I do need to get a license though I have been meaning to take the course for a few years now.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Liquid Communism posted:

As always, it's your call, but thinking like that cost me a lot of really, really lovely years of unmedicated ADHD blowing up my career and life.

You wouldn't tell someone who's lost a foot that they're weak for needing a crutch, same goes for someone whose brain chemistry isn't normal and needs medication.

This has been my experience too.

I went off my meds for a few years after college and my life went to complete poo poo because I really was not able to function, hell I wasn't even able to focus on things I actually LIKED to do.

It can be frustrating getting the dosage/meds right but it's worth it.

I never worked retail, but I can not imagine caring about thieves.

If I'm getting paid $10hr or some equivalent wage I'm doing the absolute bare minimum.

CerealKilla420 fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Mar 6, 2021

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
Sponsor suggested that I should break it off with that girl.

I'm asking for a raise tomorrow so I'm going to wait until after that call/performance review to cut it off.

Really excited to ask for a raise but really not looking forward to the breakup call.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

slothrop posted:

The offending image:

Saw these wine glasses and thought of you

slothrop posted:

A woman matched with me on a dating app tonight for the express purpose of telling me “not sure which is worse, the 70’s mo or the Hawaiian shirt”

Like gently caress you lady, you’re 16 years my senior and no oil painting yourself. What made you wake up today and choose violence?

Other than that my day was great and I hope everyone else has been having a lovely time.

Yeah... Tbh the past few interactions I've had with women on dating apps at this point in the pandemic have been borderline psychotic.

I wouldn't take it personally bro you unironically look hot and good.

I think that normal people have just completely lost their mind.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I see a photo of slothrop and to hear that he’s getting negative feedback makes no sense. Dude, you could be missing a front tooth and still be labeled handsome. If you made your way stateside you’d be hired for snow removal because you would be positively plowing your way through the population. Women here are weak for Aussie accents. I don’t think guys in the US realize exactly how little game they have.

Sometimes I think US women just like British/Aussie accents because they want to be taken away to a country with free healthcare and some semblance of social support network lmao.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

nah in the UK i've gotten compliments on my somewhat bizarre mutt but fairly unremarkable New England accent, it's mostly just Difference

I was just poking fun yall but yeah the “new” or “different” effect is really powerful haha.

I broke up with my gf. She flaked on me for the third time and I just called her and ended it. It was a pretty mutual breakup though which is unsurprising. Honestly it felt like she was breaking up with me via ghosting.

I got a great performance review at work and I am getting a raise I just don’t know how big it’s going to be yet. The negotiation is going to be another call two weeks from now. So that’s good news/exciting!

Still feel a huge relief after ending that horrible relationship. I guess I’m back to the single life?

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Elviscat posted:

Hey Waste Management.

gently caress YOU.

This is the second company to start sending me late notices while autopay is set up and turned on in the last two months.

I’ve had autopay fail on me many times tbh.

I had it fail with the Obamacare system even back when I had that and I wound up with a lapse in insurance that cost me $1500 :/

I sell these online payment systems to companies and the code for most of what I’ve seen on the market is total poo poo.

I feel like they’re all just getting the same poo poo jumbled code off of stack exchange.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

sorry to hear bout your relationship but for this you should come join us in the negotiation thread.

Hell yeah thanks for linking me.

I’m in Austin now. I forgot how many hot people live here god drat haha.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

The Door Frame posted:

And as degrees become more common, job listings are able to put ridiculous degree requirements for entry level jobs that pay <$30k, further driving people into the college system and into debt that they usually don't need

Yeah this is troubling to me.

Fortunately I do not have any student debt and a bachelors degree in psych.

In the baby boomer generation something like 16% of the working population had a college degree.

Now almost 40% of the population has a college degree.

It's kind of a bummer because it seems like you pretty much need to have one in order to even get in the door with a halfway decent job.

Hell I went to a top 50 college and a lot of the kids I graduated with are still like managing retail stores or selling life insurance.

I'm 26 (for reference) and honestly I always just figured the cost of tuition was always kept artificially high so the military would have a predictable and consistent recruitment base.

Either that or so companies can just get more H1Bs and save money on what would be very expensive labor.

CerealKilla420 fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Mar 19, 2021

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
My momma got her first shot.

She gets her second one April 4th.

Really glad that she got the shot, I've been worried about her.

Sorry to hear about your home troubles. It seems like you're on top of it though.

When I was a kid my parents would leave me at our church on weekends when I was out of town because it was within walking distance of my house so I'd just go there as like a day care. Anyways, whenever I would complain about something the nun that took care of me, Sister Pilar, would tell me to consider what someone without legs would think about the complaint.

That always pissed me off back then, but as an adult it's oddly comforting and puts things in perspective a lot of the time haha. If you think about it, we are actually lucky to be able to work on our houses haha.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I saw a thing on a desk in the office.

This poor bastard.
I want to be his friend.

I remember my cousin had a 90s C230 back about 10 years ago.

It was a great car honestly. It never gave him any trouble.

Now if it did it would have been a horrible nightmare.

I started working out yesterday and realized that my body has basically atrophied through this whole Covid lockdown. I'm starting with 10min of cardio and I plan on working up by adding 5 minutes on the treadmill each day this week. Next week I plan on trying to lift.

Seriously though I imagine a lot of other people are in the same situation. I've never been so out of shape in my entire life and honestly it's pretty shocking.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

T-Square posted:

I’ve done spurts here and there over the last year, before losing motivation and sliding back into being a couch potato again. Thankfully at this point in time my body seems to have an upper weight limit of “moderate dad bod” so it’s not a ton of work to get back in shape. I’ve dug out the kettle bells again, am waiting for the dust to settle on a few things and will then be looking for a squat rack to put in the basement, and will be dragging the bikes up from the basement soon too. I plan on doing as much physical activity with my vaccinated pals this summer as I can after being confined for an entire year of my life.

Yeah that's more or less my plan too.

I'm moving to Austin Texas here in a few months and from what I can tell my friends down there have all gotten really into biking and outdoorsy kind of stuff.

I intend to join them tbh.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

STR posted:

Can confirm, Austin has lots of beautiful trails (both hiking and biking). I don't get out as much as I should, but there's tons of outdoorsy stuff here. Though right now and November are the best times to be out, it'll be blisteringly hot by the time you get here.

Yeah I'm not looking forward to moving stuff into the apartment in 98 degree temps or whatever but it has to be done.

I'm really excited though. I've been pretty isolated here in Atlanta for the past few years and I'm looking forward to being around friends again.

I honestly forgot how important seeing friends IRL regularly was to your mental health.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Darchangel posted:

So, uh, 98F isn't "blistering hot" for Texas. That's just "a bit hot."

edit: I'm only kind of joking.

Yeah 98 degrees is me going by south GA standards. I honestly don't even know what hot is in Texas yet.

STR posted:

Darchangel, you forget Austin trends a little warmer than DFW. :v: And with global warming, maybe it will be 120 by then. :iiam:

Dude pay some movers to unload the truck for you. I have some that I've used a few times now. 2 hour minimum @ $60/hr, but they don't gently caress around at all. I can pass their info to you if you want. I will never load/unload a truck again after hiring someone to do it for me, it's money well spent. They got my 16 ft truck unloaded in less than an hour. I'll PM you their info.

e: or PM me your move date if you have it, and I'll do what I can to help - can probably rearrange my days off for that week so long as I get enough notice.

Yeah I'm for sure going to DM you. I was thinking about hiring ppl but I have never had the money to do it before recently. That is way less expensive than I would have expected tbh.

I'll DM and let you know. I'll be down there next month to look at apartments. My current lease is up in July so that's probably when I'm going to be moving.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
I've been feeling really weird and emotional today. I dumped a lot of things out to my sponsor last night and he changed the way I look at some stuff I've been avoiding dealing with.

I guess it's just sitting weird with me.

I just realized that I have a lot of relationship problems and an inability to give myself completely to a romantic relationship because I can't trust women because of childhood mommy daddy issues.

Also I'm pretty lonely because all of my friends have moved out of Atlanta over the past few months.

I'll be in Austin here soon but I have a couple more months where I'm just stuck here lmao.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

slothrop posted:

37 today. Guess I’m in my late 30s now :confuoot:

Took myself out for breakfast and shopping. Might even go buy a plant now I’m an old.

Going out for dinner with some friends later. drat it feels good to feel good. My life is by no means perfect but compared to where I was a year ago? No contest.

HBD! My 27th birthday is next Wednesday.

I guess I'm in my late 20s now lmao.

Kind of crazy that I spent my entire 26th year of life in lockdown lol.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

STR posted:

Dolphins, you in particular, you makin me feel old. I got 43 around the corner (and I know I just made Darchangel feel old :v:).

Yeah if it's just a 1 bedroom apartment that you're moving, you can probably get by with just the 2 hour minimum. Or have them do the heavy poo poo.

From what I understand the climate here is a little warmer than GA, with less rain. I don't know how close you are to ATL, but this compares Austin to Atlanta in terms of weather.

I know there's more to getting old than this, but if it makes you feel any better all the girls I know my age are dating guys in their mid 30s or older these days. I think it's a trend prolly because of economic circumstance but still I guess there's that hahha.

I'm right outside of Atlanta in Dunwoody. The weather actually looks like more of my speed in Austin tbh. I'm going to have to see what the pollen counts look like down there because my allergies in Atlanta are terrible. I'm literally allergic to every pollen lol.

slothrop posted:

Thanks!

It’s all relative bud! Sounds like you’ve made amazing progress in your life. Lockdown or no, don’t worry about it. As a person you have grown like a motherfucker.

That’s how I look at it anyways. I am a far happier and more complete human than I was 12 months ago. Lockdown was a ting but I fukken beat that poo poo like the first licence in Gran Turismo. Life is hard, but so am I.

The past is in the past. We’re onwards and upwards from here. Everytime I see your posts about how well you’re doing I am super loving pleased.

I’m glad you were able to unload with your sponsor, I’m glad you can recognise you’ve had issues with relationships. The only way forward is to recognise and work on those problems. I’m proud of you, and I don’t even know ya except through these forums. Keep doing the good work.

Thanks man that really means a lot. I've been feeling kind of weird for the past day or two after opening up but I already know it was the right thing to do.

I've certainly played a lot of Gran Turismo during the lockdown so that's an appropriate comparison lol. Also been listening to the soundtracks a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bdi_2lQVZgg

I've got to say - working through the covid muscle atrophy by doing 10-30minutes of cardio every morning at the gym has really helped. I almost feel healthy now lol.

CerealKilla420 fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Mar 27, 2021

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

RIP Paul Walker posted:

I’m in my mid-30’s dating a 26 year old, but it’s not for economic reasons. I don’t think at least, I barely made slightly over double her salary before I became unemployed.

slothrop posted:

My good friend, this is the only Gran Turismo soundtrack you need the Garbage track on GT1 is amazing, as is the Caridgans track on GT2(?)

https://youtu.be/sGdDaH4wtxY

The whole age/dating thing is a bit loving misc. I feel like at the ripe old age of 37 EVERYONE is into me. I get matches from 21 - 55. That may have more to do with my general level of confidence/having my poo poo together for the first time in my life its the moustache

I think it's a trend honestly (or at least that's what I'm telling myself). I've never looked better and I've been making a ton of money for my age and I really do not get a lot of attention haha.

If I'm right it's still good bc at least now I can look forward to aging/lean into it instead of dreading it lol.

The GT5 extended double disc soundtrack release is also incredibly good and has a lot of really well mastered live version of the GT1 songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vn9f6-wKUc4

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Nidhg00670000 posted:

I've self sabotaged every romantic relationship I've ever been in, simply because I'm terminally convinced that I'm not worth loving. Mostly through jealousy and distrust.

Life's grand sometimes.

Yeah same here. I just assume that they have some sort of ulterior motive for being with me and will leave the second someone "better" comes along.

We'll figure it out. We're all gonna make it.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
Alright so this is completely unrelated but I'm having a quarter life crisis/emotional kind of moment so entertain me for a sec.

I started putting pomade in my hair and combing it back to keep it out of my eyes and all the men I know say they think it looks good (specifically the older men in my gay men's AA meeting) but pretty much every woman in my life think it looks terrible and that I should get a new product or just wear it naturally.

The most descriptive criticism I've gotten is that "it's best to accept and play up your natural features bc it's obvious when you try to fight against them". Which honestly is kind of rude but I'll just dox myself for advice since you guys are talking about facial hair already and this is sort of related?

and natural (and a bit longer)

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

STR posted:

:laffo:

You, Xyzal, and an allergist are about to become reaaaaaaaal good friends.

And your hair looks fine in all 3 pics. :shrug: I haven't had a haircut in a hot minute (almost a year), but I just throw a hat on to keep it out of my face. The number of shits I give about how I look are roughly zero, though.

I appreciate that - yeah I normally don't care much either I've just been sensitive for the past few weeks for reasons...

StormDrain posted:

You've got a good head of hair and I think the advice of play to the natural strength is a great one. I've had a few hairstyles, and I stick with the one that got me the most feminine attention. I can pomade it to go a little fancy but it works best dry and natural. Also I like head rubs and you can only get a good head rub with clean hair.

It's notorious that everyone wants the hair they don't have. So in a way, it's a sign of confidence to have natural styles.

Hmm I didn't know that was a thing. I feel you though and I appreciate it.

BigPaddy posted:

Last few jobs I had before starting my own business I would tell them to take a part of the bonus and put it into salary and I will forgo the bonus entirely. They are always structured to gently caress you unless you are upper management and I am not having part of my compensation be based on how well others do their completely unrelated work. I have turned down a few positions because they got lovely about the request and wouldn't negotiate.

Yeah I'm getting hosed on my bonus for last year too. I'll remember this when I'm applying to jobs a few months from now.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

goatse guy posted:

Being in AA is the easiest way to make friends as an adult. I’m sure your sponsor has already told you this but go to more meetings and get more phone numbers. Mine tells me the same thing.

My pay plan is based heavily on bonuses and it’s so demoralizing because my pay depends on other people also doing their jobs. Having one team member out with Covid and the rest of us quarantining put a big dent on productivity.

You are more than right. I really should go to more in person meetings and get some more numbers. My AA fellowship is kinda thin these days. For most of the pandemic I've just been talking to the same 5 people who are all in their respective covid bunkers (even still) except for the one outdoors small meeting in a friend's backyard.

More and more people are getting the shot though so it shouldn't be an issue. GA just opened up the shot to everyone so I'm scheduling my appointment. I could have gotten it earlier through some borderline shady means via a family friend at the CDC but I really did not feel comfortable doing that because I know there are other people that need the doses a lot more than me.

I'm a sales guy (account manager whatever) and the end of the year bonus is a pretty big part of my comp plan. It sucks bc the bonus is paid to the company through the VC firm that owns the company and they pay the company a percentage based on the company's overall 'performance'. This is discouraging because not only am I the only guy in the company that hit plan (sold anything for that matter), I exceeded it by about 100k in annual recurring revenue.

It's even more impressive considering the product I sell is not at all market viable and has not one competitive advantage.

I'll learn what my raise looks like here in like two weeks and depending on what I'm able to negotiate I may just take a new job in September after I've settled into Austin and have been here for 2 full years.

meatpimp posted:

Yep, life can be lovely and hard at times. I've been buried in it the past few years, but I always go back to an old Chinese adage:

Basically, you don't know what's going to come next, so you can't evaluate today's circumstances until later.

This year started with me having to 5150 my 18 year old son. loving low point. This week that same son got accepted to an extremely good program at a state university with a full scholarship. And he got his first job and just completed orientation yesterday.

You are a good dad for doing that honestly.

When I was 18 I was pretty much at that point honestly but my parents were literally either drunk or not around to even care or notice.

I made it out alright with the help of sweet sweet self medication and booze but yeah I mean it sucks but just know that you did the right thing.

CerealKilla420 fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Mar 28, 2021

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Mustache Ride posted:

^^ edit: the mustache really works dude, keep that confidence up

The pollen in Austin is awful. Probably the worst in Texas. I've not spent significant time in Atlanta, but I'd guess allergies are worse here. Literally a city built on the tops of hills surrounded by a forest that's never dormant.

I'm getting annihilated this year. I think it's because my apartment is really poorly insulated.

I just got some Allegra so that's helping.

Any recommendation for eyedrops? The standard visine isn't cutting it lol

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I bought some keyboard switches you might like:
https://drop.com/buy/buger-hammerworks-crp-c64-dye-subbed-keycap-set

I think the pomade looks really good.

I pretty much only used either the apple standard keyboard (the chicklet one from 2012) or a IBM model M for years.

I have a Durgod something or other with cherry browns now.

I wouldn't exactly recommend it, it was pretty much the chinese special of the month when I bought it. I do like cherry keys now since I started using browns. I was always a fast typist but after working in contact centers for 2 1/2 years and passing the time on 3rd shift by playing online typing trainers, I type well over 100wpm and I have gotten really particular about the kind of switch.

Strangely, I don't mind the new chicklet apple keyboard even though there's almost no travel. I've started coming around to the new Thinkpad keyboards too tbh even though they still don't hold a candle to the original IBM thinkpad keys.

LloydDobler posted:

I think you look fine, although if the pomade makes your hair look particularly greasy you might want a product that has a drier look to it. I would go to a salon and ask for recommendations and maybe test a few things out. Or make a game/date out of it with one of these women who has an opinion. Call her poo poo out and say "ok let's try it your way" and see if she can come up with anything better. You could shop for product and then let her apply it. If it doesn't work, wash it out and try another.

There is no harm in experimenting, and unless they've changed in the last 20 years, girls love playing with cosmetic stuff on a guy. The best part is that if she set it up how she likes, you can rock that look until the courtship goes sideways and then use it on the next girl or go back to whatever you like for yourself.

I used hair spray for like 20 years because I was used to it. It almost always had fragrance I didn't like, it would lose its hold easily with moisture, and the worst part is it left a sticky patch on the wall behind me where I stood to apply it. I experimented and found a gel that looks more natural, holds better, survives the rain, and has zero scent. Better in every way, and I'm very happy with it.

Ether Frenzy posted:

You look fine, I have similar "A GD Ton of Hair" pandemic-style and if you want a product that provides the same "Keep it out of my face" without the greaziness of pomade, this product is pretty perfect (despite a weird name that doesn't seem obviously like the kind of thing you'd want for a Less Product-lookin' result, but no one will even know you're using product with this.)

https://www.amazon.com/Joico-Spiker-Resistant-Styling-5-1-Ounce/dp/B000B5NEMU

Throw a dime sized blob spread on both hands and just sweep the mop back, it'll provide the same styling control without any of the stiff/greasy/whatever that pomade/other styling product has as a negative side effect. It smells nice too. It'll give your hair a nice healthy Lustre & Sheen as if you've been eating Alpo. You can also use it to do the wild James Dean pompadour you're dying to try out, or pull out a "Hawk from Cobra Kai" on occasion too.

I'll give this product a try. I think the stuff I'm using probably is too greasy which probably has something to do with it.

The AA meeting I have been going to IRL twice a week for the last year is a combination of just a regular closed AA meeting and a gay mens meeting (people from both groups were looking for a place to meet irl because both meetings were canceled bc of Covid).

When I started putting my hair back with Pomade I got a bunch of compliments from a few of the older gay men so I figured I was probably doing ok lol.

Just like buying a sports car you don't really do it to impress women. Sometimes the male attention is more important haha. That's what I'm telling myself at least.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

got off on a technicality posted:

The investor having direct control of bonuses is really weird and bad

Also if you’re your company’s top sales guy and they’re dumb enough to underpay you despite you exceeding quota by $100k ARR they don’t deserve to keep you. Go find a place with some proper sales leadership and you’ll be much happier

I mean for all the negative things I could say about the job they really did take a chance on me when I was getting sober and offered me a really high base salary for a kid right out of college.

I honestly did not expect that I would preform this well when I took the job and I feel like I have outgrown it at this point.

That said, pretty much everyone else in the industry that sells the kind of SaaS product I do are in their 40s, so me being 26 (27 on wednesday) with a bunch of experience and tested performance makes me a pretty desirable hire.

I don't want to be in sales forever though. No offense intended but a lot of these older sales guys (mid 40s+) are basically do-nothing dinosaurs and I have no idea why they keep getting hired and paid 6 figure salaries for not selling. It's honestly kind of surreal having people almost twice your age act weird and intimidated by you. I realized almost instantly that sales is a young man's game.

I don't want to go through some sort of mid life 'death of a salesman' kind of situation.

But in the meantime, I literally bought everything I've ever wanted in the past year and now I plan on saving every penny and riding it out for the next few years.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Oh word will do!

It rained today so fortunately my allergies have not been all that bad but I'm for sure gonna pick some up so I don't look stoned all day everyday for the next 2 months lol.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

bird with big dick posted:

i need to buy a car i got the itch

KakerMix posted:

Wanting to buy cars all the time?

Just become a dealer it's so easy psh it's what I did

I really want to buy a honda accord aerodeck.

Is it worth it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."