Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

64bit_Dophins posted:

My GF asked me if she could move into my apartment without paying for any of the rent because half of $1100 ($550) is too much for her?

I said no and I'm pretty sure she's going to break up with me now because she's been really difficult since that conversation.

If it truly is worst case scenario then I probably dodged a bullet tbh.

This is why that person in r/relationships told their SO they rent the place instead of owning it so their SO wouldn't argue about paying part of the "rent" to stay there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

The US is doing a very impressive balancing act of starting to get ahead of Covid and then some dumbass decision is made such a NY opening up for NBA games and now Texas doing this poo poo. I suppose I'll see my friends again in 2022.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Worried about mutations that will pop up from a population that won't social distance and wear masks that the vaccines may not be effective against. If people could calm their poo poo for 1 or 2 more months we would stand a far better chance of beating this thing.

Really the thing that worries me the most is I take care of my pops these days and he's doing chemo for small cell lung cancer and we've had so many close calls due to idiots. We got a head start on 2020 as pops went into the hospital Thanksgiving 2019 and almost didn't make it from two major back to back surgeries. One for a 8cm aneurism in an artery in his abdomen that needed a stint and then 48 hours later surgery for severe diverticulitis from which he now has a poop bag on his stomach.

So he's been recovering from his surgeries this year and doing chemo/radiation. His younger sister invited us over for Thanksgiving 2020 and at the time I hadn't gotten around to getting food for us. I managed to get everything needed for a small Thanksgiving at the house and told them we would stay home. His sister comes down with Covid literally days later which meant she would have been in the asymptomatic period if we had gone over to their place.

Ex sister in law wants to come over Christmas time to get some computers I've built for niece and nephew and then right before she comes she tells me her mom might have gotten a covid exposure from a Christmas party she went to, but my sister in law was still going to come up as she felt fine. I had to tell her no, stay away until she gets a test, which she still hasn't done.

Then just a few weeks back we had to change a water heater at a house my older brother rents out to some tenants. I told sister in law (same one with computers) to make sure the tenants keep their distance as I'm helping my pops. Sure enough the one tenant wants to watch and "help". She was nice enough but then started saying Covid wasn't real and no worse than the flu and I just about lost it.

Now I'm just super paranoid and feel like life is out to get pops. Plus if I get Covid I'm sure I'll get riggity wrect.

Coredump fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Mar 2, 2021

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Personally I could use a few quadrillion dollars myself.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

That's awful T-Square, I can't even imagine.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Applebees Appetizer posted:

No way I'd put any effort into a $1800 Subaru besides adding fluids, sell it and get most of your money back and get something that won't need so much of your attention

Looks at $1800 Miata nervously.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Herniated discs suck. I was moving things between storage units last night and I had stop not because I was too tired or ran out of time, but instead I ran out of spine and the muscle relaxers were wearing off.

mobby_6kl posted:

Looks at $600 Fit very nervously before starting a clutch/transmission job.

Though IMO it's going to a pretty nice car once that one thing is fixed.

I wanted a 2nd gen Fit in sport trim and manual really bad but couldn't find any in a decent price/condition when I was looking for one. Ended up with an Element because I toss a bike in the back and leave it there. Some days I still want a fit though.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

everdave posted:

STR a 96k mile Matrix you already own is the smart answer, I say wistfully gazing upon my backyard with some of the most bizarre cars you can imagine. But I also understand wanting to be more comfortable.

And Elviscat what is this magic pill that will make me happy? I go to the doctor next week if anyone has a suggestion on something for anxiety or mental health I will research and ask about. I am on nothing now, my choice, to see how it would go for 6 weeks. Not going so good

I've tried Effexor and Lexapro thus far. Effexor helped a lot with mood and dark thoughts but I switched off it for fear it was adding to insomnia. I went to Lexapro as it was suppose to have less of an effect on insomnia but I've gained a bunch of weight on it. This website pops up when trying to read about differences between them: https://www.singlecare.com/blog/effexor-vs-lexapro/

My biggest thing is I want to be able to sleep at night. We've tried Trazadone, Lunestra, and now Rozerem and nothing is touching it really.

https://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/insomnia-medications

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

everdave posted:

One of my biggest issues is not being able to sleep, so I thank you for this. I absolutely do not want anything that is going to keep me up all night. I already have that down. I take a Benadryl and melatonin when I don’t have the kids (bc I want to be alert and awake) but I am worried about effects and Alzheimer’s later on. Much thanks for the reply

I will say that Rozerem might be worth a shot for you. I can feel it making me sleepy in the evenings and it makes it easier for me to wake up in the mornings even if I don't get much sleep at night. My next plan is to try and combine Rozerem with Sonota since its supposed to be fast acting to see if that will work. I need to see about going thru the test for ADHD as ADHD sufferers have a hard time going to sleep at night as well.

everdave posted:

I just think I might need something to get my brain happy but I don’t want to be on drugs

I can understand and respect that. I didn't drink at all until I turned 30, much less anything else. But its reached a critical mass for me where its affecting my work not sleeping. At that point I knew I needed whatever help I could get.

Coredump fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Mar 4, 2021

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Elviscat posted:

I cannot loving sleep without at least melatonin, my brain goes crazy the second it hits the pillow, I loving hate it.

It's like a super power when I have to be up working for 24+ hours though, I thrive on a hosed up broken schedule.

How much melatonin do you take? I was taking anywhere from 5 mg to 20 mg and it would work for a bit but then stop working after a while. But recently became aware of this:

quote:

The researchers also discovered that the typical health food store dosage of melatonin, which is about three milligrams (or 10 times the dosage in the study), is less effective in treating insomnia. In addition, the higher dosage can cause potentially serious side effects, including hypothermia (low body temperature). The study also showed that the higher dosage elevated plasma melatonin levels during the day, which can cause a "hangover" effect in some of the subjects.

"Our study has shown that less is more as far as melatonin is concerned," Wurtman said. "Adult patients who suffer from insomnia and are considering melatonin should consult with their doctor about the appropriate dosage. We have demonstrated that with the correct dosage, melatonin can help an older person experience a restful and uninterrupted night of sleep.
https://news.mit.edu/2001/melatonin-1017

So I need to stop being lazy and find a lower dosage of melatonin and try it again. There for 2 or 3 years I had good results with it.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

luminalflux posted:

"Are we ordering a lot of food because we're depressed due to quarantining? Or is this just smart meal planning?" is definitely a conversation we've had here.

gently caress, I'm going to miss the thai food here in LA when we move back to SF in a couple weeks.

I wonder what is the most amount of state borders you could traverse in the same distance from LA to SF assuming you went in a straight line.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I’m moving things from a smaller storage unit to a larger storage unit in hopes I can use the extra space in the bigger storage unit to make a space to finally start on swapping the L33 into the 2001 GMC Sonoma we got. Only thing is I’m doing fine on stamina, it’s how much spine I got that’s the limiting factor. drat herniated disc.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

T-Square posted:

Hawaiian shirts own, if I’m partaking in summer daytime weekend activities (read: day drinking) there is a 100% I’m wearing one. My fiancé hates them and I don’t give a care :colbert:

I agreed until they've recently taken on some affiliation to far right people like the bugaloo movement.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

STR posted:

I'm fine with not having a sub if I'm using monitors with solid bass. I didn't think you could even find a decent set of monitors for that cheap!

The 3.5" driver puts out pretty decent bass? I'm not looking to rattle anything, I just want to actually HEAR drum kicks, gunshots when gaming, etc. And the reviews are a bit better for the PreSonus vs the Mackies.

Ehh I don't know about computer monitors when it comes to that. Usually they go for a very flat response and tend to expect to be paired with a sub. I'm curious what the frequency response curve for those speakers look like. But I share the same hesitation you do as far as getting decent bass. This is a case where shopping used can yield great results. I know this is wrong part of the country but I used a micro stereo receiver for years from Craigslist similar to this: https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/ele/d/lawrenceville-nice-denon-c1-micro/7287463151.html and got way better sound than the equivalent sound system aimed for PC's. If you shop around you can find used ones that have optical inputs instead of stereo rca plugs and some even have subwoofer preouts for adding a sub down the line. Plus you can switch to the radio or another input when the computer isn't supplying the signal. Assuming you got room on your desk for it somewhere.

Other option is to look for an inexpensive T-amp on amazon and get someone's used bookshelf speakers from online. You can go even cheaper than this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HR7PRV5

STR posted:

Or 12" woofers 2 feet from my face.
No that's just about right.

Coredump fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Mar 9, 2021

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Darchangel posted:

I miss my Altec 2.1/5.1 (you can stack the rears on top of the fronts, or cable separately.) The controller on it died years ago. It powers up, but the display on the right front is blank and nothing works. It was a really nice system that I won as a door prize at a Cyberathelete Professional League event many years ago. The speakers are still fine - I should really just remove the controller and power it off of some Aliexpress 5.1 BT amp.

Either of those things are fine, though. :P

Before I search for several hours, does anyone know of anything like that with a sub out (can be pre-amp) that I could use with my above system once gutted? Alternately, I could use a sub amp that filters and splits the speaker level inputs from the satellites, I guess, like a lot of old-school home setups.

Some subs like the Polk Audio 10" have speak level passthru. So signal goes from receiver/amp into sub/out of sub/into speakers. For T amp with sub preout not off the top of my head. Wirecutter has a guide though. https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-mini-stereo-amplifier/

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Does anyone have success with Lunesta for sleep here? If so what sort of dose works for you if you don't mind sharing?
edit: page sniped

Coredump fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Mar 10, 2021

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Deteriorata posted:

I take it, 3 mg. I alternate between it and Ambien every three months so I don't build up a tolerance to either one. If I take either one for a long time they stop working.

It's a slower, longer lasting drowsiness than Ambien. Ambien wears off after a few hours and I sometimes wake and drowse for the last few hours before morning - but it hits like a ton of bricks when it kicks in. Lunesta comes on more gradually and is easier to resist. I have to consciously choose to go to bed and can't wait until I feel sleepy. Once I lay down and relax, though, I drift off pretty well.

That helps quite a bit thank you.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

cakesmith handyman posted:

Just had a smart meter installed (wasn't enthusiastic but they've been pestering for literally months now) and he's cut off the gas because we've got a leak. No heating or hot water until tomorrow when the engineer comes round. Not the end of the world, it's not too cold, we have some backup electric heaters and can cook either in the oven or on the camping stove but ughhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Smart meter videos are a weird rabbit hole to stumble down on late night youtube. Here's just a small sample. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJDuZpK-Es0

Coredump fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Mar 10, 2021

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

It doesnt BSOD when you print like what Win10 Update March 2021 does.

Throw salt over your shoulder before sending the print job.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

everdave posted:

In 2021 that I can’t just pick my wifi printer when I bring my work Surface home to send a simple PDF to without downloading the freaking HP smart bullshit is beyond infuriating. I’m on the locked same network I have the printer password i set print you miserable piece of crap

Thhhhaaatt doesn't sound correct. You should at the very least be able to add a printer by tcp/ip address and then put in the ip that the printer has your network. Although these days there are the new fangled wps connections for printers instead of tcp/ip but I don't them in a corporate environment. For home it may be the way to go but you got a work machine so no idea what sort of GPO's it may have on it.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

KozmoNaut posted:

Condolences, slidebite.

gently caress cancer.

Condolences. Seriously, gently caress cancer.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

slidebite posted:

Thanks guys. It's appreciated. We're doing OK.

Just don't feel like doing much today.. Would like to sit around and play Doom or MSFS. Work is busier than hell so that's not an option. It'll just make Friday twice as bad.

In addition to gently caress cancer, if you still do it, quit smoking.

Please.

That's exactly what I'm struggling with my pops now. He's doing chemo for lung cancer and still smoking. I finally made an appointment FOR him since he wouldn't to see his normal doctor and got him on wellbutrin and a refill of chantix to start trying to curb his smoking again. He's doing much better but still smokes.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Ether Frenzy posted:

Hell yeah dude, I also remember those guys and rocked a Haro in the 80's as a result of seeing a local show (not those dudes specifically, but the riders that day were sponsored by Haro).... This isn't mine but is exactly the same colorset I had.

Really wish I'd never sold that thing. I got $100!!

That thing is rad as hell. Did your bike have skyway wheels? I think that is who makes those 5 spoke bike wheels.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Since we were talking bikes earlier. Put together a bike for a friend of mine so she can keep up with us on our goofy riding adventures. I'm pretty pleased with the pedal to handlebar transition.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

meatpimp this is a bad and wrong take my friend. Ossoff and Warnock ran on us getting $2000k stimulus. Not $1400.

Edit. I do have a question if the amount was rolled down to $1400 to come under a limit for passing the bill via reconciliation. CommieGIR might be able to answer he knows these things better than me.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Respect.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

CommieGIR posted:

I wanted to run for local office but i doubt my background would make for a good press piece

Same. You’d get my vote tho.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Seems the worse one thus far was one of the vaccines they thought might cause blood clotting in Europe so they pulled it. But given was Covid-19 does and its long term effects I'll take my chances on the vaccine.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Ether Frenzy posted:

but I am starting to feel like looking for fights about how the Xbox is the superior console platform. So y'know, BEWARE VACCINES
This made me think of the old first gen xbox diss for some reason. Xbox is huge lol.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

What happened in the Slack is firmly in offsite drama and I (I'm sure Elm would feel the same way but I do not speak for him) would appreciate if it was not drawn out here.

Link to slack please.

Krakkles posted:

He might not be a troll (I would disagree) but what do you call what he is? The dude has repeatedly threatened violence against other posters, myself included.

Now there's some irony. *looks at title purchased by AI posters* lol.

Coredump fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Mar 22, 2021

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I actually did good during quarantine last year and did a lot of cycling and dropped some weight. One thing that I got going against me is I developed a herniated disc at the end of 2019 and haven't gone for physical therapy yet since the world ended. That makes working out and doing physical things pretty difficult. Cycling is one of the few things I can do that doesn't seem to aggravate it.

But then I screwed up and got fat again over the winter. I'm hoping some of the cardio I built up last year is still around and I don't have to start from the bottom again on cycling.

Coredump fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Mar 24, 2021

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I registered with Georgia a few weeks ago to get a spot in line using the "care taker" status. I haven't heard anything back yet but I believe Kemp is opening it up statewide Thursday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

bird with big dick posted:

SHOULD I BUY THIS THING I KINDA WANT TO BUY THIS THING

First two door I've seen in person. It's neat.
Doug are you buying it through CarMax? If not, could be risky.