Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.
I never asked my wife to pay rent/mortgage/whatever on any place we've ever had together - when I was ballin out of control, this was no problem, but over the last year, things have swerved a bit differently - she asked if she could help, but I always decline - she gets me really crazy awesome/expensive presents and is super awesome, and she allows my cars and antique bullshit everywhere, and takes care of our child, and does nearly everything else.. She has her own business and while she doesn't make great money, she makes enough.. enough to become the bread winner last year. I've always been really proud of her.

in other news: cheap rear end chinese junk horn relay almost toasted my roadster and maybe my garage last night....

you can see the plastic part pulled away from the metal housing and grounded itself to the case of the part as evident by the weld mark at the top left of it... burned down the wire and destroyed the fuse holder as well. thankfully the fuse did its job and only took out this part of it. I'm buying an NOS original now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
Moderna - first shot nbd - the second one I was fine for a day and thought I dodged the bullet, then on evening number two I felt a bit tired, then a bit more tired, then it felt like I got hit by a truck from the first signs of fatigue it was about 2 hours before I was just not capable of being anywhere but my bed - passed out around 7p and slept for 12 hours straight thru dog barking, baby crying and other things that would have woken me up for sure. I woke up, drank a gallon of water and pee'd out what I'm only assuming is a gallon- Day 3 was the slightest bit of joint ache and fatigue, by day 4 I was back to normal.

My back has been pretty achey since the whole ordeal, but that could be my terrible posture, holding baby, improper lifting and everything else bad I do to my back - but I've been a bit more aware of it since the shots.

My wife, father in law and uncle all had a very bad reaction to the second shot all three reported flu like symptoms and were in bed for 2 days but never broke fevers. I think I got off lightly.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

luminalflux posted:

Ah, the good old "texas headphones" monitoring setup you save for DJs or really deaf drummers. Starts somewhere around a pair of 12"+2" on top of a 2"x15" sub and from there it just gets more absurd the bigger the font your act has on the poster.

Example: https://twitter.com/ratsoundsystems/status/317032044561567744

I've actually experienced this before on a few occasions, while wearing hearing protection -

If you guys want to see what real sound power is - big sports stadiums.. holy poo poo - the hardware some of these places have is mind blowing - I've actually got to talk over several stadiums that were totally empty - surreal power of sound

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
New dads: how hosed is your back? I've been having realllly bad stiffness and tightness in my low back from what I can only assume is lugging around a 24lb baby all day, car seating him, playing on the floor with him... either way, by the end of the day my back is done, only thing that kinda helps is a hot shower.

I've been going to the same chiropractor for years - don't know how everyone feels about them but I think its helpful because its a deep massage and some intense assisted stretching - The doc I had was really helpful, genuinely interesting guy and just generally enjoyable to talk to. before Covid I'd usually see him 3-5x per year - Called to see how appointments were working with covid and as soon as I mentioned his name, I was transferred to another Dr. in the practice who gave me the news that my Dr. had passed away in December after a battle with cancer. Really threw off my day and made me sad - I got an appt with the other Dr and while he was good, he didn't have the same charisma and good conversation I had with the other guy.

In other news, I found a pretty cool job I want to go for, went to apply, and quickly realized I haven't had to give a resume or show a portfolio in about 5 years, its all been reference and I've never had to look far for a job - I started updating it and realized that doing these is really loving difficult, and in reviewing mine from 5 years ago, man it needs work and having been on the other side of resumes and portfolios, I feel I probably wouldn't hire me either. I worked in the event industry, which has obviously been hit very very hard by the events of last year. Pretty much every contact I had has been laid off, fired or the entire events department of some of these companies completely shut down, so its kinda like starting from scratch. I've been lucky enough to get other little jobs that are design related that have kept me afloat, but nowhere near the income I had been used to making, but the fact that I'm not alone in this gives me some kind of hope. I spoke with several colleagues today that are actually in the middle of doing exactly what I'm doing right now

and my dumb rear end goes and buys another car with money I really shouldn't spend.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
Sorry for your loss - Been thru that with pretty much my entire immediate family - never gets easier, just becomes more bearable.

-

Glad I could contribute to the thread title!

I'm not fin'a post about the car in question until its actually arives and is secured in my driveway, I still can't believe it - its really the rarest car I'll ever own - however I've said this a few times before but this time I have really never actually seen a photo of another one, and when the car was offered to me, I didn't actually believe the guy that sold it to me. There are no photos of one online, so for what thats worth...

Taxes - I really don't want to deal with it, but because we had a baby last year there may be some more money in it for us - I don't have too much info to pour over so at least thats helpful.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
ahh BigMX bikes are really incredible - The Haro is pretty super rad.

and yes, they really nailed the feelings of riding a 20" for full sized adults. I feel like I can ride my SE for seemingly ever without feeling uncomfortable.

As I said in this or last months chat thread, I bought this when I was working in a smaller city within LA to cruise to lunch - A few weeks in to it, I really became enamored with it and decided to sell my modern mountain bike and all other extraneous bikes that I used as riders

I sold this one too which was kind of a restomod custom of a '39 Mercury frame

for reference this is what it looked like stock

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
Man I can hear the noise those spoke charms make in my head just by looking at the photo

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
Graduated with a degree in Industrial Design from a for-profit(ish) school after completing my prerequisites and AA at a community college - paid off my loans in about 8 years and have been having a good time with my career in the entertainment/event field up until covid struck. If given the option to do it again, I think I may take the same path*, while my education was so-so, it got me in the right mindset to find a career, not to say that I didn't have some great, inspiring professors and really sharpened my skills... - that being said many of my classmates did not find the same success that I did. - Guess I've been kinda lucky. By far the hardest part about getting in the mind set to go back to it now that things are (knock wood) calming down, has been that pretty much every contact I had has been fired or is in the same situation that I am. I recently saw a listing of a job that I feel suited me and realized that I haven't had to provide a resume or portfolio in no less than 5 years, its all been word of mouth - I'm not trying to toot my own horn by any means, but having had great references and word of mouth has really built my career - I'm a tad bit nervous about starting over, and I've been having a really difficult time self-starting the process with creating a portfolio site and getting all my ducks in a row. All that being said not once in my career has my college education ever been a consideration in any job I've ever had.

*I have a friend that works for the city as a mechanic, when I made $XX5,XXX per year, he made $XX0,XXX per year doing oil changes on F150s - in other words, enjoy your loving life, game the system and take as much money as you can.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
when ai back pain conversation becomes a bit too real:

well, I was holding the baby a few days ago, sneezed and felt a huge pain in my back, almost dropped the baby and have been unable to move properly since. Went to a family friend physical therapist practice, xrays the whole bit - slipped a disc - Started PT today and feel a bit better and can move around a bit better but still in a big amount of pain when I move wrong. I guess those years of driving slammed out cars, mountain biking and slouching caught up with me - I need to drop some weight pretty quick and get back in to fighting shape. No roadster driving, bicycling or anything that puts undue stress on my back until this gets a bit better. I never thought a sneeze could be this painful.

LobsterboyX fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Mar 16, 2021

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

Goober Peas posted:

All I hear is the yodeler from The Price is Right

the full tune is even better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfTEhUECaXk

the actual sample comes in at about 0:53

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
My lifestyle dictates that I've used a lot of pomade, AMA -

Are you using a oil based or water based pomade? Obviously water based ones wash out easily, however I've found that they dry your hair out - as in when you're not wearing it, your hair is f'd, personally I feel that Suavacito and Layrite are just heavy styling gels, if you double up on your LA Looks you can get the same effect - these type of products also give you the feeling you are wearing a helmet all day, for longer hair styles it will feel like crusty snot (or....) in your hair if you dont use enough of it. Conversely, oil based products come with a bit of baggage that the average fella isn't quite expecting - its hard to get out by design, its meant to stay in and be added to, at the expense of your pillow and sometimes shirts - on hot days, it melts and can be quite uncomfortable.

I'd agree that you probably should be using a matte product to avoid the greasy look - if you were going for a slickback, undercut or pompadour, that's typically the best uses for high shine oil based products

There are newer hybrid products that would probably suit what you're after a bit better

the two that come to mind are:

https://www.shearrevival.com/products/crystal-lake-water-based-pomade

great smelling stuff, on the matte side and kinda washes out but not really, but whats left feels good and is nourishing to your hair - also this company has other products that are super clever with their names, noding to vintage horror movie references... if you know, you know.

I like this stuff a lot and I used it a lot when I had a semi-serious job and couldn't dress like I normally do - when I had to pretend to care?

and this stuff:
https://odouds.us/collections/style/products/standard-pomade

same kinda thing, just a bit more matte - good scent but I prefer crystal lake - its really 50/50 to me, but a lot of people I know prefer this one- perhaps because its a bit more available.

My daily routine is is wearing a loving baseball hat because I don't have poo poo to do except wallow in my own bullshit.

but when I do try to give a poo poo about my hair I've really grown fond of Brylcreem

https://www.amazon.com/Brylcreem-Shining-Styling-Conditioning-Cream/dp/B000GG16QA

Total legacy product, been made the same way for decades, its super light and oily - I like it because it comes out easily and nourishes well - I don't do a super styled pomp like I used to, just more of a keeps your hair in place but has a nice shine kind of thing.

I also really like these:

https://www.amazon.com/Imperial-Bar...=beauty&sr=1-21
this is the only full wash out one that doesn't feel like you're wearing a helmet

https://www.amazon.com/Cremo-Premiu...=beauty&sr=1-55
light and smells great

https://www.amazon.com/Black-White-...beauty&sr=1-158
the ultimate vintage - this was the pomade Elvis wore.

https://www.amazon.com/Royal-Crown-Dressing-Ounce-145ml/dp/B000AAU2B2
this one is also very cool vintage, probably the highest shine and lightest hold - will totally melt out of your head at temps above 72 degrees - I use it in the winter.

YMMV on all this stuff because after all, all hair is different - don't really know how it would work now-a-days, but back when there was a local mom and pop beauty shop my wife would go to, one day I went in there with her and realized they had a huge selection of pomade plus testers for all of them - for a long time I'd go in there and try different ones until I found one I liked, I found this to be the best way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I'm in a typey mood so ^^^ pomade talk and mental health check up >

I'm really honored that my thread has gotten stickied- I doubt myself all the time about the kind of poo poo I'm in to and the validity of it in today's world. I'm really passionate about this and it's been my lifestyle for so long, I don't know anything else. So It makes me really happy to know that you guys enjoy it so much - I really love sharing that kind of stuff with people that are really not in to the same things, but in the same wheelhouse - so thank you all, it gives me something to look forward to doing.

darkness:

With the amount of time I've spent on social media/my phone over the last year I've really developed a sour taste in my mouth towards trends and pretty.... much everything... I used to be able to ignore it, drive past it on the freeway and say "ah that's kids poo poo" - but the psychology of social media really smacks you with it. I didn't have a phone until I was in my early 20s and I was less than enthused to get a smart phone by my late 20s, and I've been feeling the weight of the power of social media slowly crushing me, obviously accelerated in the last 18 months.. I just need to get off of it for a bit, but its such a drug now, I'm really tired of political talk, I'm really tired of other peoples opinions on things I haven't even formed my own on, I'm tired of the blind advocacy, the knowitalls and the posers... its really a window in to a world I don't want to look thru. I was much happier when it was people posting pictures of their food/pets/cars/antiques... now its like a hotbed of "anyone have any more questions before we finish...oh... you in the back with the longwinded question no one gives a flying gently caress about because everyone just wants to get the gently caress out of here?" types

I've had a particularly hard week with my 11 month old, he's teething, he is cranky/screaming all day and today napped for less than 20 minutes, its heartbreaking to see him in this much pain, fighting sleep, not eating, grabbing his gums in pain - my wife and I are at each others throats because of it, my back still hurts from slipping a disc a few weeks ago, I bought another project car that I really couldn't afford and can't really do anything with because... no job still... and tax season is coming up - the external pressures are mounting.

how much advil can I take before I damage my liver?

I've got a headache, my back hurts, I can't squeeze an ounce of creativity out of myself, I'm going gray at an alarming rate, I'm on pins and needles all day with the baby stuff, job, taxes, house stuff.... but.... but....... My wife booked a dinner for 4 of us (best friend couple who has a daughter a few months older than ours) at my favorite, Lawry's prime rib, for my birthday next weekend... indoors...kiddo at the grandparents.... I'm going to eat myself in to a coma, I might have a few drinks as well. FTW.

So, I'm falling apart at the seams, and I'm doing my best to look on the bright side, and to really realize how fortunate I am and have been for everything/one I have.