Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Billionaires don’t agonise over which of the 918, LaFerrari and P1 they are gunna buy, they just buy all of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
March keeps delivering. Not only did my car fail it’s Warrant of Fitness, (leaking steering rack, rear pads, discs need a skim, park brake loose, faded headlights), we’re in a snap 7 day lockdown cos one infected family lied to contact tracers and people been working and going to the gym while infected, then this morning we got this:

My area is fine but others at higher risk have been evacuated.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Murray Walker dead at 97. The voice of F1 for a generation.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Elviscat posted:

corned beef

Oh yeah that’ll do it....

...well gently caress, no wonder...

Elviscat posted:

six pack of Guinness and a liberal amount of Jameson's

:master:

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
My nana had really bad dementia, was in care for almost a decade. I couldn’t go see her any more, it was heartbreaking. My dad would get me going with him by telling me we were going somewhere, then throw in “oh while we’re in the neighbourhood...” until I had to beg him not to pull that anymore, threatening I would jump out of the moving car if he kept it up. Yes I was a grown adult at the time. On the plus side, most of the time she was either asleep or just “not there” but the brief periods she was lucid she at least didn’t seem miserable, she’d have the same big smile she always had once she recognised you and she’d really perk up for babies.

She was 94 I think when she finally died, grandad was 86 but with diabetes and heart disease, other grandfather was mid 70’s of throat cancer (given 6 months, lasted 10 years, had a stomach feeding tube so long that just before he died they were having to figure out how to replace it which they had never done before, people usually died before it became a problem) and that grandmother made it to 93 but when she was 89 she was sick and couldn’t get out of the bath one night, spent the whole night in a cooling bath after she ran out of hot water and was only found cos she missed her morning doctors appointment which she NEVER did so the doctor got the cops to do a welfare check and found her. She was hypothermic but fine when I saw her that night, but net day she had a stroke. Mind was fine but couldn’t control half her body or speak properly, which did her head in because she was a very strong independent woman otherwise, having outlived her husband by 15y and both her daughters to cancer as well.

So I guess I’ve got all that to look forward to, no wonder I don’t take particularly good care of myself!

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

StormDrain posted:

The impact was about 30 cases out of five million doses.

A good comparison is that risk of clotting for the vaccine is 1 in 167,000. The risk of clotting on contraceptive pills that countless women take every day is 1 in 1000.

The speed of the vaccine development isn’t because they’ve quickly invented a new medicine, they retuned existing medicine and technology for treating this family of viruses to this specific strain. Also, y’know throwing global resources and money at the problem with highest priority.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I don't know, in the commercials I see them traversing the Mojave desert but irl not so much.

I thought maybe they were capable off road but most people just didn't care

I’m not gunna sit here arguing that electronics are a full replacement for real locking diffs, but it’s not like it’s a garbage mall crawler without them. Hell the classic Defender only had a center lock factory.

tangy yet delightful posted:

It's definitely some bullshit that your govt spent a non-zero amount of time/money/effort on bringing tennis players to the country instead of Australians stuck abroad. Hope you get to see your spouse soon!

NZ here but same deal. Part of the thing about our economy being open for business means that we can have nice things like sports events and concerts. Letting in a few players or musicians doesn’t make gently caress all difference to the number of citizens coming back in. Both countries have similar numbers of places available in the managed isolation facilities (around 5000 even though Aust is much bigger than us), who really gives a crap about a dozen places at a time maybe for people like sports stars or musicians to come in and generate economic activity.

For example it’s been cricket season here, since November the West Indies, Pakistan, Australia and Bangladesh have toured. You get matches not just in the big cities but some of the smaller ones too, and that generates good business for stadium food vendors (we’re talking mum and dad in a trailer operations in these smaller towns) hospo and accomodation, all areas that are taking a beating during the pandemic. The only people making noise are contrarians, click bait news publishers, and here, garbage opposition politicians. Our opposition party, for example, complained loudly that it was “ridiculous” that we couldn’t find isolation places for children’s act The Wiggles to come in, how nice it would be for the kids doing it tough during lockdowns etc.....then when they were allowed in, complained that they were taking away spots from poor citizens trying to get home.

People in CT’s position, that sucks and I feel for him and his wife, but also she’s not an Australian citizen or resident yet is she? We’ve had a few like that too, spouses who aren’t citizens haven’t been allowed back in unaccompanied, it’s easier now but you still have to go through isolation and pay for it.

BuckyDoneGun fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Mar 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Aerodeck chat, I use to drive my old bosses 87 Accord 3 door liftback as a teenager, and while it was thrashed to death, it was still a ripper, drove real nice. I’ve never owned a Honda myself, but every one I’ve driven still reminded me of that and my mates 91 4WS Prelude.

You Am I posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...by-end-of-march

Only 600,000 Australians have been vaccinated even though the target was to be 4 million by the end of March. This government is loving hopeless, stumbling from one scandal to the next

Yeah but at least your prime minister has had plenty of relaxing holidays!

StormDrain posted:

That's what I was wondering! Just running street sweepers to death on it.

Like throwing an epic beach party in your basement and guess what bro? We're getting a truckload of sand! We'll put some plastic down bro it'll be fine.

They regularly fill stadiums and indoor arenas with tons of dirt for motocross shows and the like and they’re just fine afterwards.

The Door Frame posted:

Wow, and that's 600,000 doses, not full vaccinations either. I'm pretty sure my county has more complete vaccinations than your country has doses administered

On the other hand, the virus isn’t running wild in the community in this part of the world either, so the pressure isn’t on quite so much.