Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
I'm curious how Hawaiians and locals/transplants are doing these days with a completely nuked tourism industry? Probably bad but if anybody lives there or has family there, I wonder if you could tell us more about what it's like right now.

I tried looking for local vloggers, specifically on Kauai because I'd guess that island would be one of the hardest hit and also because I went there once, but if you search "Hawaii vlog" or "Kauai vlog" you get a bunch of tourism stuff.

I'd guess transplants are all fine because they have money but no friends, but everybody else is in pretty dire conditions because they have friends but no money.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Mar 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

I don't live there, sorry

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Hawaii was shot down over the sea of Japan

it spun in

there were no survivors

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay house
never been but i heard being homeless is sick there. something to consider..

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Ventral EggSac posted:

I don't live there, sorry

Thank u

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008
use google please, this has been asked already

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
we should update the faq

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Imagine its a little like this

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
THat guy on the right is smiling because he knows he's the fattest and there can be no fatter

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay house
The Sunflower Boys are at it again

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

R.L. Stine posted:

never been but i heard being homeless is sick there. something to consider..

There's a pandemic it's sick to live anywhere

OB-GYN Kenobi
Dec 4, 2017
It was over populated and capsized

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Very coastally.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

Bag Flying At Noon, (2024)
I live inside of a volcano

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

All the places that didn't own themselves with covid cut us off and are on covid free internet now, did you not get the email about it?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I hear it's so bad they're eating meat from cans.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
What's Hawaii with you dog

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

I'm curious how Hawaiians and locals/transplants are doing these days with a completely nuked tourism industry? Probably bad but if anybody lives there or has family there, I wonder if you could tell us more about what it's like right now.

I tried looking for local vloggers, specifically on Kauai because I'd guess that island would be one of the hardest hit and also because I went there once, but if you search "Hawaii vlog" or "Kauai vlog" you get a bunch of tourism stuff.

I'd guess transplants are all fine because they have money but no friends, but everybody else is in pretty dire conditions because they have friends but no money.

I would like to know as well. I was going to move there in April of this year... but that was a year ago before covid. Now it seems like my best bet is to wait for things to open up, and try to grab a restaurant gig once those are booming again.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I would also like to know how Hawaii is as I would like to take a trip there this year perhaps

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

I dont but I bet if I did I'd be happy to be getting a break from all these fat piece of poo poo tourists

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
hmmmmm what's it like

the government catastrophically failed to control the pandemic, purposely releases incomplete information (officials aren't required to include tourist infections as a part of the reported infection rate), and the media is blaming natives for introducing the california and european strains to the state. it claims to have the strictest regulations in america but that's disingenuous because it's the ONLY place in america with entry restrictions. the policy is currently that you have to provide proof that you complied with our 72h pre-test and isolation period upon disembarkation, but you don't have to provide it at the airport you depart from. the other week we had an infected family arrive on island without any of their documentation, and they let the tourists who were on the same flight leave and spread the infection further.

the police ignore large gatherings in rich areas, and arrest and fine mask-wearing poors for meeting and talking on the sidewalk.

the local news lionizes the lt governor because he's "a doctor" but his limpwristed half-measure policies are the entire reason we've had an ongoing pandemic rather than clapping that poo poo in a week like new zealand.

we're getting hugely screwed in terms of vaccine importation. vaccines arrive without having been properly stored in the shipping containers and have to be disposed of. distribution is hugely mismanaged, pretty much only oahu county gets anything. the actual amount we're receiving is also peanuts. it's hosed up even on the level of just administering the vaccines, they offered this "great deal" to encourage people to bring their senior family members to get vaccinated where anyone chauffering them could receive one regardless of age, and then the staff didn't properly document the non-senior recipients so they never got their second dose :psyduck::psyduck::psyduck:

economically. the state is so overwhelmed with unemployment requests that they outsourced the process to a company in another state, which in turn has become so overwhelmed themselves that they basically don't answer the phone or process applicants at all. if you're a hotel owner, the state gives you more free bailout money every day. if you're a worker, the state tells you go gently caress yourself. if you need the free healthcare plan the state offers to people without an income... well, i hope you can wait 24 to 36 MONTHS to be processed.

but im fine because i got the virus a year ago, back in january when it was still being called 新中国ウィルス and the worthless health organization officially confirmed that covid-19 100% cannot be transmitted through the air. you know just goin to work infected because it wasn't classified or identified properly and nobody cares if you have a mysterious cold that isn't the influenza. i still feel awful about having done that even unwittingly.

tldr DO NOT GO ANYWHERE NEAR HAWAII. and canadians should be loving furious that your elected officials visited this diseased state over the holidays

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
i've got family on the big island and yeah, what he said

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Thank you Fur20 for giving an informed report on the reality of things there, instead of puking out a lame joke or nonsequiter. Im sorry its that stressful and poorly managed.

I wonder if Ill have any chance of scoring employment there. I have a hookup with a friend in town where I can stay with the family she has on Maui to get started, but scoring a job might be super easy or super hard depending on what goes down.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Fur20 posted:

hmmmmm what's it like

the government catastrophically failed to control the pandemic, purposely releases incomplete information (officials aren't required to include tourist infections as a part of the reported infection rate), and the media is blaming natives for introducing the california and european strains to the state. it claims to have the strictest regulations in america but that's disingenuous because it's the ONLY place in america with entry restrictions. the policy is currently that you have to provide proof that you complied with our 72h pre-test and isolation period upon disembarkation, but you don't have to provide it at the airport you depart from. the other week we had an infected family arrive on island without any of their documentation, and they let the tourists who were on the same flight leave and spread the infection further.

the police ignore large gatherings in rich areas, and arrest and fine mask-wearing poors for meeting and talking on the sidewalk.

the local news lionizes the lt governor because he's "a doctor" but his limpwristed half-measure policies are the entire reason we've had an ongoing pandemic rather than clapping that poo poo in a week like new zealand.

we're getting hugely screwed in terms of vaccine importation. vaccines arrive without having been properly stored in the shipping containers and have to be disposed of. distribution is hugely mismanaged, pretty much only oahu county gets anything. the actual amount we're receiving is also peanuts. it's hosed up even on the level of just administering the vaccines, they offered this "great deal" to encourage people to bring their senior family members to get vaccinated where anyone chauffering them could receive one regardless of age, and then the staff didn't properly document the non-senior recipients so they never got their second dose :psyduck::psyduck::psyduck:

economically. the state is so overwhelmed with unemployment requests that they outsourced the process to a company in another state, which in turn has become so overwhelmed themselves that they basically don't answer the phone or process applicants at all. if you're a hotel owner, the state gives you more free bailout money every day. if you're a worker, the state tells you go gently caress yourself. if you need the free healthcare plan the state offers to people without an income... well, i hope you can wait 24 to 36 MONTHS to be processed.

but im fine because i got the virus a year ago, back in january when it was still being called 新中国ウィルス and the worthless health organization officially confirmed that covid-19 100% cannot be transmitted through the air. you know just goin to work infected because it wasn't classified or identified properly and nobody cares if you have a mysterious cold that isn't the influenza. i still feel awful about having done that even unwittingly.

tldr DO NOT GO ANYWHERE NEAR HAWAII. and canadians should be loving furious that your elected officials visited this diseased state over the holidays

Thanks for this and doing an effortpost about it (serious)

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

Yeah thanks

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
We've transitioned to an economy based on surf contests.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

sounds cool, thx

Puerto Rico is a similar chaos island nowadays, with the evaporation of cruise ships and general unemployment misery and mismanagement. Here we also have an outbreak of riff-raf tourists coming down with the newly discounted flights and trashing up the place. Last week there was a video of an Airbnb tourist who threw her drink in the face of a local woman in a wheelchair because she asked her to wear a mask in the building. America not sending their best: the kind of people who are all about vacationing during a pandemic.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Fur20 posted:

I was likely an early super-spreader too, when they were on TV saying it's isolated and contained. I don't feel bad, I didn't do anything wrong, but, more kind of mad? Sad that I could have hurt people I love? edit: can't ever say for sure, but I have the after effects, to this day, and the antibody

I have a family member going to the big island this week, lol. She has her vaccine though. edit 2: the flight is pretty much full

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Those surf guys in hawaii who beat people up for not being good enough at surfing should beat people up for not wearing a mask imo

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
im posting from the beach on hawaii

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Mnoba posted:

im posting from the beach on hawaii

What's it like though

Jove Tone
Jan 12, 2006

Those surf guys in hawaii who beat people up for not being good enough at surfing should beat people up for not wearing a mask imo

The national slogan of Hawaii is "Aola" which means peace be with you. I don't think they are prone to violence :angel:

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Doesn't really happen like that anymore in the same way, surf localism isn't what it once was

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

I live inside a coconut and it's pretty nice here.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

did this really happen

Jove Tone
Jan 12, 2006

Good luck with your home getting eaten by a crab you buffoon

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004
Yes the Hawaii tourism economy is hosed right now. An insane number of people are on unemployment. Or trying to be.

Money from the defense department I think accounts for most spending here.

I am fortunate to work remotely.

Edit: super low COVID infection rates though. Lowest numbers per capita in the nation. Might have something to do with half of people out of work though.

Woodsy Owl fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Mar 2, 2021

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004

Jove Tone posted:

Good luck with your home getting eaten by a crab you buffoon

I should be so lucky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

i have crab insurance