Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
We have to go back to March 2020!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/MacFarlaneNews/status/1367495714968920069?s=20

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

lightpole posted:

The jacket and scarf is amazing

"Respect the flag!" *violates the flag code*

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/AndrewSolender/status/1367622501052911621?s=20

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BIG HEADLINE posted:

2022 is going to be such a loving slaughter.

The GOP should just rebrand themselves to the New Founding Fathers and have lovely art imitate life. :cripes:

Yeah, they are literally selling themselves out.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

On the plus side: She is being ratioed. Hard.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Eej posted:

As a Chinaman who does eat with sticks this is really stupid but I guess people got nothing better to do than to be offended on behalf of me and not just recognize that Dr. Seuss was very anti-racist and took a historically notably strong stance against anti-semitism but was also a product of his time

:ssh: It was his estate itself that did it, so take it up with Dr. Seuss LLC

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1368224528099377155?s=20

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Arven posted:

Wouldn't it be a mindfuck if trump just decided to completely withdraw from politics and never speak publicly on anything again?

That goes against his one driving influence: Getting more money by grift.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

stealie72 posted:

These people are so goddamn dumb.

They'll do anything to "trigger the left" and boy howdy to they mean anything.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

boop the snoot posted:

I think they are doing anything they can to be triggered, personally.

Yeah, that's the best part: They trigger themselves more than they trigger anyone else.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Defenestrategy posted:

There's no economic incentive to improve consumer printers or develop better drivers. The closest I've gotten to a network printer that "just works" flawlessly is the Brother MFC-L8610. That thing has worked excellently for the last three years and has survived two network migrations without me doing more than plugging it in and assigning it an IP.

My Samsung Color Laser does a great job. Had it like 5 years now, wakes up and prints every time. Just sits quietly in the corner.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
If you are driving through Macon stop by the USAF Museum outside of Warner Robins AFB

https://museumofaviation.org/

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Kesper North posted:

well we could regulate the software industry the way we do civil engineering, ha ha ha

No one would do it then, because software is largely shifting into a blue collar industry. Tell devs they have to get a PE and they'd just quit.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

PookBear posted:

Hahahahahahahaha How The gently caress Is Cyber Warfare Real Hahahaha Just Walk Away From The Screen Close Your Eyes Haha

As someone who also works in Cybersecurity and has for like 9 years...

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/11/tech/molson-coors-cybersecurity-hack/index.html

Just gotta learn to laugh more than cry.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

pmchem posted:

just imagine going through the rigor of the space shuttle computer programming process anytime some rear end in a top hat wanted to write a new auto-updater for printer drivers or have their roblox clone connect to your email contacts

https://www.nap.edu/read/2222/chapter/5#40
https://www.fastcompany.com/28121/they-write-right-stuff

that's pretty much what would be needed to secure the public internet or any device connected to it

it will never, ever happen because, as a society, we have decided we can live with the incredible rare event downsides

To be fair: The space shuttle was also not exactly an internet facing device requiring patches to address a continuously evolving threat landscape.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Midjack posted:

But consider too, if the code were written rigorously in the first place would the threats be as endless or severe? "Code better" wouldn't by itself solve everything but the fact that people are still writing code with buffer overruns in 2021 is shamefully hilarious.

Considering most companies are pushing for faster and faster delivery: Good luck. I agree, it needs to be more rigorous, which is what Pushing Left is about with SAST/DAST tools and Vuln Scanning, but half of coding is being done by outsourced, low cost shops in Pakistan and India on vague requirements where the only thing that matters is delivery.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Mar 13, 2021

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

shame on an IGA posted:

oh gently caress that's my fault too

Same, sorry :(

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

pantslesswithwolves posted:

BoJo’s government proposing to make noisy or disruptive protests carry up to a 10-year sentence. Absolutely lovely to do this right after the Bobbies roughed up a bunch of women for protesting the murder of a woman.

By a police officer.

When fascism comes to the UK, it will have bad hair, bad teeth and have the most punchable face ever.

Yeah, and the other brainfart: More undercover cops to address an off duty cop killing a woman.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/singharj/status/1371864234305466369?s=20

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

https://twitter.com/cnnbrk/status/1371970020260073472?s=20

Looks like potential hate crimes against Asians happening in Atlanta today.

Dude is literally a Neckbeard. Fully expecting him to be Q or Alt-Right.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Richard Bong posted:

Why in the gently caress are they making excuses for this heinous poo poo. Like I know why, but gently caress is it grating to read poo poo like “he takes responsibility” gently caress that and gently caress him and gently caress the cops that are spouting that poo poo.

I'm sure all those dead and injured women are having a bad day too....loving cops.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Onion's gotta be feeling better under a Biden admin.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
So there may be a connected reason why the Cherokee Police are saying he just had a bad day....

https://twitter.com/RichPhelps/status/1372257212966440960?s=20

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Mr. Nice! posted:

The army told Mathew Golsteyn to gently caress off. They aren't restoring his medals or his sf badge because the pardon from Trump did not expunge his guilt.

Good. gently caress War Criminals.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Mr. Nice! posted:

Exactly. Tucker wants lebenschraum for white America.

A chicken in every coop and a Nazi in every bush.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Yeah I hope they grind Nunes into paste, not only was he basically a stooge for the Russians, he was also feeding that back to Trump.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

How bad? Der Spiegel has had a few articles recently on how Merkel is making a mess of things but it's difficult to get a handle on it.

Between their COVID stuff and Germany shuttering Nuclear plants to double down on Coal and Natural Gas as their Renewables buildout collapses....yeah its been fun watching that.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

They are totally counting Anti-Cop stuff aren't they.....

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

War Kitties need love too

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Godholio posted:

In a recent exercise the E-3 was on station for 1.5 out of 12 missions.

I would never, ever actually blame mx for our lovely mission ready rate.

*glances at E-3 average airframe age of 42 years*

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

mlmp08 posted:

And China’s by-far largest import supplier of coal: Australia.

Coal still makes up over half of the entirety of China’s energy production, though most os domestically supplied. Trending downward, for a variety of pretty obvious reasons like pollution, investment in renewables, nuclear energy, transition to natural gas, the fact that domestic coal production no longer meets needs, etc, but still China uses about as much coal as the rest of the whole world, and Australia is their number one import source.

And Natural Gas. Australia is now a larger exporter than Qatar.

It's why Australia claiming they are going green is a loving joke.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Defenestrategy posted:

Here's my hot take:

Elon Musk isn't going to help end child hunger or make earth sustainable, or any of that other bullshit, otherwise he'd be doing that instead of loving around with SpaceX, but it is at least feasible the poo poo SpaceX is doing, failures and all, may actually help push advancement in various tech that may help with the aforementioned problems.

If we removed Elon Musk from the equation, it'll probably do 10x better. He's garbage and Bernie's right to call him out.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Mr. Nice! posted:

Also musk isn’t funding spacex. He’s profiting from government funding. He also is just a name at the top and doesn’t actually do anything.

This too, Musk (much like Bezos) is just using this as his pet billionaire project. NASA and others are funding most the actual work being done.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

C.M. Kruger posted:

Blue Origin is actually mostly/partially funded out of pocket by Bezos IIRC, something like $1bn/year of his dragon hoard, while Musk has to sell stock and get government/private launch contracts.

Its also dragging rear end and not nearly as mature as the government/private launch stuff SpaceX is doing. But yeah, you are right.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

antimatt posted:

Reviewing history I think you might be wrong.

And I don't know or understanding why.

He's not the one doing the work. At all. He only reaps the benefits. So, no, I suspect we'd do fine.

He's a man who bought his way into his "fame" in both SpaceX and Tesla, he's not an engineer and he's just another techbro billionaire who is flirting with the Alt-Right and Libertarian ideals.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/ZainaErhaim/status/1374667602308567042?s=20

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

hobbesmaster posted:

I think the rumor was a blackout on the ship, so it would’ve lost control due to mechanical issues?

Also the flow of the canal pushed it further into the dirt. Hydrodynamics are neat.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

FrozenVent posted:

I doubt bank effect played a significant role, you’d have to be going pretty fast already. Suez Canal authority and the ship’s agents are all talking about high winds, there might also have been a blackout.

If you black out and lose the engine, bank effect can very much play a role, especially if you already have the speed. And that's exactly what it looks like happened. Lose engine, try to correct for the loss, gets sucked to the port bank and gets forced hard to starboard.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Mar 25, 2021

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Archer is gonna be pissed :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Sad to see her go, such a fantastic actress.