Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

$160k is 84th percentile household income. That seems like a lot of people to be pissing off.

Yeah, but it's really the difference between 200k and 160k household income that you're pissing off. Still a lot, but not 16%.

Looks like 6-7% of households got the last check and didn't get this one.

wins32767 fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Mar 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Defenestrategy posted:

The American Recovery Act 2009 was a 830b[10t today] stimulus package passed in January 09 and the ACA was signed March 2010. The democrats got murdered in the house losing 60 seats by November 2010, and would get thrown out of the senate during the next round of elections.

Certainly people are gonna be helped, but taking a victory lap on this bare minimum bullshit is gonna lead to Biden being a lame duck in 2022.

It's not worth 10t today. We haven't added a digit to all prices in the last 12 years.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

I'm not really getting the constant focus on the checks from this thread. That's one of the least impactful things in the bill. UI insurance extension is huge. 25 billion for rental assistance. My town is no longer going to have to lay off 10% of it's teachers because there is 54 billion for schools. The transit system in my metro area is no longer going to be in a death spiral cause of the 45 billion for transit. 325 billion for small businesses like the gym across the street from me that was about to close its doors or the downtown restaurants which are teetering. A 10 billion dollar bailout for the postal service. There are a pile of working class folks whose jobs are a lot more secure now, on top of the support for folks who are already hurting.

But but but my checks! And the democrats suck!

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

If I'm not mistaken, the largest single portion of the money is tax credits for parents. There's probably a lot of childless people on these forums who may be salty about that.
I won't get a cent from this bill directly (because I don't need it) and I'm ecstatic that my community is going to be a lot healthier now that it would have been absent this bill. When I take the train home, work out at my gym and then go out to eat at my favorite restaurant in a few months, I'm going to be getting my payout.

It's hard for me to wrap my head around people who aren't seeing the largest spending bill in US history as something other than a tremendous good for the country and its citizens.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

I never qualified for unemployment the whole year I was unemployed because I graduated from school. The only governmental assistance I'll be receiving is that check. It makes a real difference to me whether or not I get it.

That's fair.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

I'm glad my outrage meets your approval. Lol try not to get too passionate in the future though

Don't get ahead of yourself. Outrage never meets my approval, I'm a liberal after all. But you did have a good point that made me reconsider.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

The reason we don't have transit in most of the country is the lack of density. The reason we don't have density is because driving is cheap and having no one living above you is great, costs being equal. The only way to fix the structural problem is to making driving more expensive. It's the right policy, it just needs to be paired with more support for poor folks (which we need anyway).

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Meshka posted:

I disagree, it is not a right policy. If you care about the environment, give more tax incentives for electrics or hybrids. The only reason I do not buy a Tesla is the price. Or increase public funding for transportation. People should not be penalized for not living in a major city.

You've got it backwards; rural areas can't afford to maintain themselves and their infrastructure. Cities shouldn't be penalized to support people who don't live in the city which is what's happening today. (I say this as someone who grew up in a rural area, moved to a city a few years ago and desperately wants to move back home).

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

That Works posted:

Cities are literally filled with people who are barely hanging on above poverty because they need to be in the city and/or commute into it.

How is it penalizing a city to support the transit of the people it needs to exist?

Because there are hundreds of thousands of miles of roads and thousands of bridges that are no where near cities that those same urban adjacent poor people pay for. Institute UBI (scaled by cost of living), tax driving miles, fix urban zoning, that's the right set of policy measures to get us started towards unfucking the planet. You'd need to phase them in sanely and together, but saying "oh no, we can't make things better because things are bad now" is such a liberal response (says the liberal). :)

hobbesmaster posted:

Road wear is the fourth power of weight. Civil engineering books say to neglect all car traffic on main roads when calculating when you need to replace a road.

Weathering is another big factor too, though I don't know how it interrelates with roadwear. All the roads in northern Maine don't get much traffic but they get replaced pretty often.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Like, to really drive this home:
https://goo.gl/maps/xfVmiGiMaLDUjdcj9

Sherman, Maine (named for this forum's patron saint) has a population of around a thousand people. Sherman's per capita income is $14,524 for a total GDP of ~$12 million. The next town over, Staceyville has ~300 with I'd imagine about the same per capita income. There is an interstate, a US highway, a state route and a local road serving as north south arteries for those folks. All of those need resurfacing every decade or so at the cost of about a million dollars a mile. There are way more than 15 miles of road there and those folks have to eat, and pay for heat and housing and whatnot too so they can't spend a full 10% of their income of road maintenance costs.

wins32767 fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Mar 27, 2021

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

If they don't sell $49,999 cars with crazy aftermarket packages. Keys that can fit in your pocket - $5000 Wheels that are round - $7500

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

facialimpediment posted:

Updated, the U.S. facility (a contractor) making the J&J vaccine hosed up 15 million doses because they got the ingredients mixed up or some poo poo. Doesn't gently caress up any J&J doses out there now, because they were manufactured in the Netherlands, and the NYT tweet didn't make it clear that the Dutch plant is still shipping doses everywhere.

That's some shockingly bad quality control processes. You'd think they'd be lifting the quality measures directly from the NL factory but I'd guess not?