Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Dolly Parton is too good for us.

As a civilian is Dolly eligible for a spot on Mt. GiPmore?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I would sooner self-install a high velocity 9mm JHP brain chip than have anything designed, built or promoted by this paltry excuse for a wannabe Bond villain put anywhere near my brain.

Supervillain wise Thiel is to Blowfeld as Elon is to Dr. Evil.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

e: wrong thread

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Even going on one date with Piers Morgan is kinda damning IMO.

Morgan seems like the type of dude who invites a female professional acquaintance to get a drink and surprise it's actually a creepy date.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Then they're gonna make a film about the Florida meth gators. The next year we get the Cocaine Beat vs Meth Gator cinematic crossover.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Biden has been quietly filling out regulatory positions with anti-trust and especially anti Big Tech trust appointees.

https://www.wired.com/story/lina-khan-ftc-antitrust-biden-administration/

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Apparently some Republican governors, including West Virginia's, have been making noise about using the ARA funding to offset tax cuts. So Manchin added an amendment prohibiting states from using the federal funds to offset tax cuts. Now WV's governor is pissed.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

The Australian War Memorial in Canberra is also a great museum as well as absolutely beautiful.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Lemniscate Blue posted:

The World War II Museum in New Orleans is pretty fantastic, too.

This place was amazing. I got to visit with a friend who'd been a volunteer there during his grad school days who knew the exhibits inside and out. In the hanger they had a couple aircraft or parts of aircraft you could climb into.

When we toured the hanger there was a grandpa in a wheelchair trying to climb out of it and up the steps into the cockit of one of the bombers. The staff were arguing with him about going up the stairs because he clearly wasn't physically capable of doing so. At one point in the argument a staffer said "it's too dangerous for you to climb these stairs." Grandpa fired back, "it was dangerous over Germany too but they still let me fly one!"

At that point the the staff looked at each other and basically said. "You just promised that you're not going to climb in there and we're all going to go help visitors on the other side of the hanger for 10 minutes." The grandson, my friend, and myself then helped the guy up the stairs into the bomber cockpit.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Exchange looks like it's going to be way, way worse than Solarwinds or Accellion. The thing about SW is that while they inserted a backdoor into the supply chain and compromised.tens of thousands, they did so "safely". Unless you were in the much smaller target set, the backdoor shut itself down after checking in. There was also no way for your average cybercrime group to replicate the attack since it was a complex supply chain operation and not a clever 0-day. There was also no way for for a third party to break in through the solarwinds backdoor.

Exchange on the other hand, it looks like the 0-day exploits leaked to several groups before the patch even dropped, multiple groups are automated them to hit every exchange server on the internet, and many of these groups are dropping a follow-up backdoor called a webshell. Most of these webshells are "off the shelf" components so to speak and they have no authentication. That means even if exchange is patched there is still a wide open door anyone on the internet can come waltzing through.

Basically Solarwinds was a guy breaking into the locksmith's and altering the mold to support a new master key. They then hit every house in the neighborhood but 90% didn't have what they wanted so they left and locked the door. Exchange is a guy discovering you can break a certain lock by hitting it just right with a screwdriver. They then went and busted every lock in the neighborhood.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Mr. Nice! posted:

Note that this is not an issue if your org uses office 365 and does not have their own exchange server.

That's a good point to keep in mind.

For those less interested in the fiddly bits of computer touching but care about policies and norms of cyber conflict there is a strong argument that the Us should be holding solarwinds as an example of responsible and restrained espionage and treat the exchange shitfuckery as an irresponsible deviation from principles due to the latter's massive collateral impact.

I also just thought of this. But in the event of cyber conflict does an adversary like Russia or China even have to hack into all our stuff themselves or can they drop some of their 0day stash in darknet forums and let the ransomware gangs do the work of attacking at scale?

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I'd assume that every company running exchange already had all your personal data stolen. Likewise some chunk of these orgs are gonna get hit with ransomware. So keep an eye on your credit and don't be surprised if your org / org you do business with gets their ops disrupted by ransomware and recovery thereof.

As far as using the email access to fuss with 2fa, I would imagine that would be reserved for high value targets, C levels, finance and accounting people with access to funds, etc. Though my focus isn't threat intel so take with a grain of salt.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Hillbilly Elegy is a trash book written as poverty tourism by an author laundering the suffering to defend an utterly lovely worldview.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

stealie72 posted:

All the right wing has is rage. Their entire policy is literally just grievance and "owning the libs."

Onion's "White Hot Sphere of Shrieking Rage" video article some of the most accurate reporting of all time.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Their problem isn't cancel culture. Their problem is that people are canceling them when they're supposed to be the ones doing the canceling.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

US Berder Patrol posted:

I like the Wire because the cops are clearly not good guys

they are by turns thugs and drunks and the worst most craven politicians (of office politics as well as those of actual governance) but they ain't good guys

I always tell people to just stop watching at the end of Season 4.

My first watch through the Wire I tended to see McNulty as the flawed hero because I was still young enough to think there had to be a hero and it had to be the protagonist. I was thrown for a loop in season 5 because his heel turn seemed to come out of no where.

Then I rewatched The Wire and from the start realized McNulty is a gaping rear end in a top hat.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

One part of the ODNI report that I think is getting overlooked is that it seems that spanish language media was a giant blind spot in foreign info ops detection.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

https://mobile.twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/status/1372555360498819073

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

https://mobile.twitter.com/AmeliaFrappolli/status/1373286134466367488

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

My tax plan is every year one billionaire is chosen by lottery to be executed and 100% of their assets seized by the government.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Which Dolly Parton song should I listen to when I get my #2 Moderna shot in a few weeks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

RFC2324 posted:

Am I the only one consistently surprised by Kavanaugh? His rulings that I have noticed seem, in some cases at least, to be him trying to actually prove that he is a good Justice instead of the GOP mouthpiece they rammed through

Conservative judicial philosophers were always made up bs to justify doing what they wanted, and abandoned whenever they got in the way. During the Trump admin one of the leading architects of said philosophies straight up published an article saying "these were just political ploys but now that McConnell and Trump stacked the judiciary we can impose fascism from the bench".

But a generation of conservative lawyers have grown up studying these interpretation philosophies and taking them at face value. So sometimes they'll miss the part about being a fig leaf and apply them in ways that are not immediately what conservatives want. That's why on one hand you have Alito nakedly choosing the most conservative position possible but Gorsuch giving half of Oklahoma back to the tribes because that's the literal wording of the treaty.