Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Combined Healthy Options With Dogs Or Wieners, Nurnburgers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Bizarre, yes. Desperate? I'm not so sure anymore. I mean, they've got Fox openly calling for it.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Well yeah, kind of the logical next step down that thought chain is to call for putin to remove Biden, but I really loving hope things aren't that far gone

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

The only episode I've seen was where the girl met some attractive guy and couldn't understand the way he made her feel.

Then they stretched out what should have been a throwaway joke into an entire episode.

I haven't bothered watching any more of it thats my story thanks for reading.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Seems like a good opportunity for pirates.

Seeing as there's probably hundreds if not thousands of people there actively working on it, im not so sure.

That being said, an Exocet *right now* would cripple the Suez for an extended period.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

Is evergreen the name of the shipping company or what becasue that is definitely not given

Yes, evergreen is the company

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

container ships big

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

military vessels really aren't that big

a maersk triple e for example has 200 feet on a ford

Comrade Blyatlov fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Mar 23, 2021

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

o7

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Wouldn't the emergency-construction of industrial-grade pulleys on the embankment be cheaper than calling in tugs from all over?

Yeah, it probably sounds much more expensive than the already-existing tugs due to the logistics involved, but literally closing the canal for even a month has got to come with an absolutely obscene price-tag and global supply chain disruptions.

Iirc, the Panama canal uses tugs on rails, right?

short answer is that there is going to be no short, easy or cheap solution

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

i wouldn't be surprised if evergreen collapsed because of it

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

yeah, if you wanted to collapse egypt it's probably a good start

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

a blackout plus unexpected strong winds in that canal is pretty much worst case

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

US Berder Patrol posted:

Blackout in this context means losing electrical power?

Yes and by extension steering

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

ManMythLegend posted:

lol, so apparently Qanon has found out about the Suez Canal and are convinced it has something to do with Hillary and child trafficking. :ughh:

Yessssssss

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

lightpole posted:

Canal is like 150M wide or something at that point. As long as its there the canal is blocked.

Edit: maybe 200 or 250? Still, there's no room there.

Is the canal locked off or is there a current flow?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Platystemon posted:

It’s a simple ditch dug at sea level and there’s current. It goes one way in winter, the other in summer—I forget which. Aquatic species native to the two regions mix in a process call “Lessepsian migration”. In general the Red Sea species are winning at the expense of the Mediterraneans.

Well that makes it about a billion times harder then

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

lightpole posted:

How the gently caress have you not been through? I thought it was just about inevitable.

Canal transit from Med to Red Sea generally goes:

Stop by container terminal on west bank at Port Said. Pick up pilots for southbound convoy, head out early morning. Northern part from Port Said down to lake had two way travel I think, the waterway is natural and wider. Hit the lake and anchor for a period to wait for northbound convoy to pass. South of the lake is the man made passage. It was pretty narrow but they expanded it in the last decade. Take departure at Port Suez, no terminal there, grab security team for pirate zone passage. Transit Red Sea, pirate zone starts around Bab al Mandab and extends out into the Indian Ocean.

Northbound is just opposite but you would anchor at Port Suez and skip lake anchorage.

I think its usually like 17 hours or Anchorage. 10ish for the north and 5ish for the south? Last time I went through was like 2014 so my memory is a bit hazy.

Going to accept a good layer of dust on everything even if there's no real wind. Wind can pick up pretty easily and you get dust storms out into the Indian Ocean. Discharge sludge at the anchorage in Port Suez if you have time. I miss actually visiting Port Said, they built the terminal about a decade ago and its on the far bank now so visiting is next to impossible.

I've done Panama but never even been to Mediterranean

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

It's a cool experience, but I'm not gonna shed any tears over not having to do it anymore

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Well you would bloody hope so

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Operation Plowshare Redux

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Icon Of Sin posted:

Weird origin for the first battlemech, but I’ll take it.

:negative:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Long term closure. Welp, RIP Egypt and Evergreen Shipping

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

LongDarkNight posted:

I'm not a boat person but this is an interesting explanation of something else that might have been a factor.

https://twitter.com/bhgreeley/status/1375065063560785923

Ehhh... he lost me at "this was a walling".

I'm sure FV can offer a more considered opinion, but I just don't see that being as big a factor as the author wants.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I mean, there were high gusts of wind. I don't see any reason to think that's not the primary cause at this point

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Stuff like this is fascinating. Do experienced ships just have a locked trunk of Marlboro cartons somewhere? Wonder what connections a local would need to get a gig as a pilot.

More of a cupboard or storage locker tbh

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

If you black out and lose the engine, bank effect can very much play a role, especially if you already have the speed. And that's exactly what it looks like happened. Lose engine, try to correct for the loss, gets sucked to the port bank and gets forced hard to starboard.

I've seen nothing to suggest they lost the main though. Blacking out and loss of propulsion are two different things, and if they lost power and thereby steering while the rudder was already turned, that's much more likely to cause the ship to turn than some weird combination of bank and whatever.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Jesus christ.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

hey dumbass the best people are already on this, what the gently caress is wrong with you, why in god's name would this be on the american military, arrgghhhhhh

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

i'm kinda happy that's the worst news coming out of the WH

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

PookBear posted:

No its unironically the owners fault for putting the dog in an unfamiliar, loud place with a lot of new people walking around. And then keeping him there after the first time he bit someone.

It's not the best environment I can think of for a large, territorial, and highly protective dog. Particularly not a rescue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

:munch: