Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

boop the snoot posted:

Experiences in basic training have shown me that bending the laws of physics to fit people in a vehicle is easier than you think.

I fondly remember the better part of a platoon getting shoved inside of a bread truck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

My VA just moved to 60+ and is doing walk-ins for them so it seems like they’re mostly through the olds. Hopefully only a few more weeks until I can get stuck.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

In sports news: https://twitter.com/ijamecono/status/1367168369808580610?s=21 :lol:

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I loving hate my senator.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Speaking of governors, things are getting really spicy for Cuomo:
https://twitter.com/zohrankmamdani/status/1367676227964788737?s=21
Legislators openly calling for impeachment now.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Justice Dems affiliates, etc. already have a PAC running ads against Sinema: https://twitter.com/corbintrent/status/1367975164550537219?s=20

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

mlmp08 posted:

Despite all the dumbassery to get here and stupid amendments, bill is probably one of the biggest and most left spending bills in a really long time.

Yeah, but super safe D senators still voted against a $15/hr minimum wage. :lol:

SUCCCCC

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

TheWeedNumber posted:

Maybe it’s a better identifier than THAT GUY? But also yeah what’s the relevance?

It's kinda weird?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

https://twitter.com/cliffordlevy/status/1369826373800521729?s=20 Well.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Leavemywife posted:

Hey, how the gently caress does gerrymandering work?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modifiable_areal_unit_problem

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Gerrymandering in some instances is actually necessary and good though, for instance to ensure minority representation in legislative bodies.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I’ve been a big supporter of the EU generally speaking, but how the gently caress did they bungle vaccination so badly when the UK & US are rocking out relatively speaking.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

BIG HEADLINE posted:

"WON'T LET NO VACCINE CONTROL MY MIND NO SIR" :mad:

(mainlines brain poison propaganda)

🔊

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 15, 2021

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Also historically there were a shitload of black owned farms, the decline in the number over time is staggering. So Crowder is both a racist and a dumb loving poo poo.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Minnesota and the other midwestern states' NG would make a great partnership there given their huge nordic roots + cold rear end climate; I'm laughing that we send southerners to that. Or even you know AD Army from Fort Drum or Fort Wainwright?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I put weed on my SF86 and still got a TS/SCI. Really kind of hosed the WH is screwing these people over.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Cities are penalized by people from outside the city by working and buying things from the city?

poo poo like freeways, water/sewer utilities, stringing up electrical infrastructure, etc. all costs far more per person in low density areas so in effect cities are subsidizing that through their water/utility rates assuming the utility stretches over a large area. Also a lot of cities are net tax donors to their states and get back less than what they put out. Additionally people who work in the city but don’t live there aren’t paying property taxes (which in many US cities makes up a huge amount of municipal funding for city/county budgets, schools, etc.), but they derive benefit from the city in the form of employment, access to education, cultural resources, etc. that wouldn’t otherwise exist near where they live.

It’s sort of a parasitic relationship in that cities subsidize the hinterlands surrounding them, yet those areas continually vote for regressive conservative people who continually stiff cities of the resources and funding they need.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

quote:

Montreal proposed a tax on new condo developments that were within x distance of a metro station. It didn't go well.
:lol: the exact opposite of what you should do. Give tax credits out for building more multifamily where lower density (or nothing existed) before, give even more credits if you build it without any parking.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

TCD posted:

Oh god no.

This is happening here and people in those condos just park on the closest street without permit parking. Which causes those residences parking to be pushed further out, etc.
This goes directly in the face of what is considered good practice in urban planning today. If you live in a dense, walkable city that is well served by transit boo hoo if you have to walk a bit further to your car or if it’s not enjoyable to drive. Driving in city centers should be painful and lovely.

Parking minimums are a disaster which have hugely shaped our post-war development and made our society vastly more spread out & inefficient: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Akm7ik-H_7U

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

quote:

I mean, if the cities want to keep using cheaper labor by having people commute 30 miles to work, they can pay for the transportation.
They would but states and suburban voters have ensured we spend our entire transportation budget on freeways.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Platystemon posted:

What if we made mass transit better instead of making driving worse?
100% yes. Although a lot of this would require removing the numerous hidden subsidies behind driving (free parking, parking minimums in local zoning ordinances, interstate highway funding, etc. the list goes on and on).

Driving is the worst of all worlds as the people who get screwed the most by increased costs/user fees on cars also bear the burden of the social and environmental costs of excessive car infrastructure.

quote:

Vehicle use will expand to fill capacity, Texas is a prime example.

:patriot: a country that refuses to believe in geometry or induced demand.

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Mar 28, 2021

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Nystral posted:

It won’t get used? Look at Orlando which has a new commuter rail network connecting the north and south bedroom communities with downtown. It’s not seen enough use to fund itself and has become a poster child for why That gently caress Rick Scott rejected the funding for the Obama-era High Speed Trains.

It sucks, I want to use my drat commuter train, but it takes longer to get to the station then for me to drive to downtown and park my car there from my house.

quote:

It’s not seen enough use to fund itself and has become a poster child for why That gently caress Rick Scott rejected the funding for the Obama-era High Speed Trains.
Almost zero transit systems (I want to say Hong Kong is the only one that routinely runs at a profit) on the planet fund themselves on farebox revenue alone and it’s an unfair ask of a public service. How much money do freeways generate? Also Florida is a terrible example because it’s a shithole of sprawl, so of course nobody uses transit when you don’t have anywhere to walk to or from the train.

Walkable places need better transit, non-walkable places need to be retrofitted to be walkable. Being walkable and good transit go hand in hand.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

:golfclap:

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Making workable transit means building walkable communities along the lines themselves. So far not many in the southern or western US seem to be making any meaningful gestures in that regard.

Hopefully people will get it, but based on the super hostile reception any notion that cars are problematic gets from even people in GiP I have my doubts.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Build high quality transit, use whatever policy levers to encourage walkable development around it while lowering barriers to constructing housing along with a huge publicly owned or funded aspect to it ala the Vienna Model: https://www.huduser.gov/portal/pdredge/pdr_edge_featd_article_011314.html

Do that, then stop subsidizing sprawl. If people want to live in this go hog wild:

We’re just not going to pay for it collectively as a society. Without subsidies and significant wealth transfers from cities this would never exist on the scale it does.

Basically build the left (and have it well served with transit), not the right:

You can still have quaint suburban neighborhoods and nice detached houses while still maintaining walkability:

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Mar 28, 2021

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Back on highway/transportation chat, this video just popped up and it's fantastic as a quick explainer on some issues around it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P85D-FlVYeo&t=5s

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Pfizer #2 a week from tomorrow. Curious if I'll feel like poo poo on Wed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

https://twitter.com/DaybookJobs/status/1377260307492442119?s=20