Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

First shot scheduled for March 12! I just have to make it another week and a half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I use ublock origin on all my computers and purify on my iphone. That seems to get rid of almost all ads. If I see a youtube ad on my phone, I just refresh purify and they're blocked again.

I also just browse youtube with safari - I don't use the native app.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

I'm all of the people mad that smokers are eligible now. Oh no people in an at-risk population are being provided access to care!

At least for the VA here in Tallahassee, they consider me a "smoker" because of medical marijuana so I'm good to go.

Friends that I know that work at FSU are driving to Alabama for their vaccine because while Florida won't allow them to get it yet, Alabama offers it to all educators and staff and does not have a residency requirement.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

._.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Torrannor posted:

They have three reconciliation bills a year iirc, all other bills can (and will!) be filibustered by the Republicans. And quite a lot of things can't be done with reconciliation, so even though they nominally have complete control of the legislature, there are hard limits on what they can actually do.

Note: these “hard limits” can be waived with a simple majority vote. The democratic party is in complete control, and anything they do not do is just because they do not want to do it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Soylent Pudding posted:

Exchange looks like it's going to be way, way worse than Solarwinds or Accellion. The thing about SW is that while they inserted a backdoor into the supply chain and compromised.tens of thousands, they did so "safely". Unless you were in the much smaller target set, the backdoor shut itself down after checking in. There was also no way for your average cybercrime group to replicate the attack since it was a complex supply chain operation and not a clever 0-day. There was also no way for for a third party to break in through the solarwinds backdoor.

Exchange on the other hand, it looks like the 0-day exploits leaked to several groups before the patch even dropped, multiple groups are automated them to hit every exchange server on the internet, and many of these groups are dropping a follow-up backdoor called a webshell. Most of these webshells are "off the shelf" components so to speak and they have no authentication. That means even if exchange is patched there is still a wide open door anyone on the internet can come waltzing through.

Basically Solarwinds was a guy breaking into the locksmith's and altering the mold to support a new master key. They then hit every house in the neighborhood but 90% didn't have what they wanted so they left and locked the door. Exchange is a guy discovering you can break a certain lock by hitting it just right with a screwdriver. They then went and busted every lock in the neighborhood.

Note that this is not an issue if your org uses office 365 and does not have their own exchange server.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The “insurance discount” is the actual cost of your care. Hospital bills have a built in 3-5x multiplier on costs to gently caress people over.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

iwentdoodie posted:

Yeah, I never had insurance (well, past age 10 anyway when my dad died) until the navy and these last 4yrs is my first time dealing with regular insurance so this is all just mind boggling to me.

Have you ever heard of the term "balance billing?" This is where hospitals in some states will take the insurance payment for the actual costs of your visit off of the bullshit price, and then send you a bill for the remainder.

Almost 2/3 of all personal bankruptcies in the USA are in large part because of our glorious free market healthcare system.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

facialimpediment posted:

I always wonder how many of those people legitimately don't get that mRNA can't adjust anything in DNA (and could be corrected with education), or if they're just finding the most convenient RE: RE: FWD: thing they see on facebook.

You need cult deprogramming to get that poo poo out of people's heads.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

crazyivan45 posted:

My bosses dad was/is on the ‘it rewrites your dna’ chud train. Boss told him if he ever wants to see his grandkids again he’ll need to shut the hell up and get the drat vaccine

I have a coworker that is skeptical of mRNA vaccines but he's getting the j&j in the next week or two.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

maffew buildings posted:

Well better go find a loving telegram office if I want Diane Feinstein to receive the message

Send here a handwritten letter in cursive. She'll think you're old and listen.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The army told Mathew Golsteyn to gently caress off. They aren't restoring his medals or his sf badge because the pardon from Trump did not expunge his guilt.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Stultus Maximus posted:

:ssh:
That's not what he means by crowded.

Exactly. Tucker wants lebenschraum for white America.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Stravag posted:

Its still just a major crackping moment for me. I have the memory of my Oma's German accent getting SUUUUUPER thick talking to ~5 year old me in her kitchen about " That loving HEETLER" (the only memory I have of her actually sweating) and then you got a third of the country going "well he wasnt that bad and really had some good points!"

That third of the country was onboard with him in the 30s and 40s, too. The America First bloc has openly supported Nazis since the OGs.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5CCUdu7xFI

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Crab Dad posted:

Wasnt that the one were they put carrier killing missiles on 16ft speed boats? The whole thing was stupid.

Yeah and somehow instantaneous communication from mosque to mosque using the call to prayer or something like that. They had motorcycle couriers moving at near the speed of light.

There’s a reason they reset. The “rigging” may have been excessive, but opfor was breaking the basic laws of reality.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Not that I have any trust in the Saudis, but I'd like a better source than Some Twitter Rando Who Capitalizes Every Word Like A Schizophrenic Conspiracy Theorist.

That’s an account that just tweets headlines from the bloomberg terminal. As far as I know, it has never posted anything but.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Also musk isn’t funding spacex. He’s profiting from government funding. He also is just a name at the top and doesn’t actually do anything.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

CommieGIR posted:

He's not the one doing the work. At all. He only reaps the benefits. So, no, I suspect we'd do fine.

He's a man who bought his way into his "fame" in both SpaceX and Tesla, he's not an engineer and he's just another techbro billionaire who is flirting with the Alt-Right and Libertarian ideals.

He bought his way in on paypal, also. Musk has done nothing in life but use his father's apartheid era emerald mining money to buy things that made more money for him.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Errol Musk emigrated to the USA right after Botha resigned from office.

:thunk:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Wasabi the J posted:

He's a South African gem tycoon who's just so happened to invest in things that could be used to cover for massive amounts of money and materials being shuffled around internationally.

The "benefits" of his criminal enterprise is ancillary. He is a thug.

He's also a known associate of some of the biggest cartels in Mexico and they're the target audience for starlink internet and such.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

ASAPI posted:

Is that really the booking photo?!? Jesus, that guy is rough.

Also, he doesn't look like the guy with the bloody leg they had in cuffs. Or his is and the angle I saw did not do his glorious mane justice.

Saddam is the guy that stopped and shot at the national guard vans with vaccines in Texas Arizona, I believe.

Dude with the bloody leg was Colorado supermarket shooter.

e: corrected Saddam's location.

e2: It did happen in Texas - dude was just from AZ.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Mar 23, 2021

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Also, Germany is going into hard lockdown on April 1st over easter.
That'll show this pandemic.

But worry not: 222k doses administered yesterday

(:()

America should be in lockdown, but we're aiming to create a vaccine-proof variant as fast as possible.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The shooter was a young Muslim. We're going to hear a lot of horrible poo poo for quite a while.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

US Berder Patrol posted:

Yeah I just saw the news naming him a few minutes ago and thought the same thing. The right wing rage machine is gonna love this facet of intersection in the gun-terror-immigrant thing, especially in the context of the city assault weapons ban being pre-empted (whatever that means).

Boulder, CO passed an assault rifle sales ban in 2018. Said ban was overturned 10 days ago. The shooter bought his gun 6 days ago. He would have had to travel outside of Boulder to purchase it two weeks ago.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

fknlo posted:

He would have had to drive a whole 10 minutes to get it outside of Boulder two weeks ago.

The Rat posted:

He wasn't even a Boulder resident so it wouldn't have applied to him anyways. The Boulder ban only applied to Boulder residents.

Thank you for these addendums.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The Suez Canal has been blocked for hours by the container ship Ever Given:

https://www.vesselfinder.com/?imo=9811000

https://twitter.com/jonmikefred/status/1374447408990449664

https://twitter.com/jsrailton/status/1374438210315513864

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

There's definitely a mechanical issue. That thing has been stuck for hours with lots of tug assistance.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

From the pictures it might be that the bulbous bow smashed into the wall and has become lodged.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

ManMythLegend posted:

lol, so apparently Qanon has found out about the Suez Canal and are convinced it has something to do with Hillary and child trafficking. :ughh:

EVER GIVENS CALLSIGN IS H3RC THEREFORE ITS REALLY OWNED BY HRC!!!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I wonder how long before they get a C&D from Trump for using the name without paying him royalties.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Ya but it isn't blocking the whole canal now I think

According to AIS it is still very much blocking the entire canal and no other ships are moving through.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

hobbesmaster posted:

More tugs are moving into the canal though!

I think they're probably crew swapping/bringing supplies for the tugs that have been tied up to that thing since yesterday.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Maersk Denver is on its way out now as well.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The issue right now is that the front 1/4 of the ship is aground with the bow literally impaled further into the dirt. They literally cannot dig out from under the whole thing to drag it out. That's why they're having the salvage people come in. They have to essentially lift the front of the ship out of the dirt and get it floating. They may have to unload part or all of it to do so.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

That Works posted:

Surprised they aren't unloading the ship as fast as they can. Would heavy lift helicopters be able to move those shipping containers off of it or is that just way too heavy for that kinda deal?

We're going to see how quickly they can unload as soon as the salvage people get a chance to look at it. If they're able to float it without unloading, they will. If not, they're gonna have to bring a shitload of equipment on site to unload. It will probably involve some sort of crane on a barge next to it because nothing is going to be able to reach easily from shore.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Reminder that at the back of the ship, the waterline is at the edge of the water. They've got some of the dirt around the bow cleared out, but the ship is still very much aground.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

lightpole posted:

Could build a pier to it and try to crane them off but that thing is almost certainly too tall for most mobile cranes. A mobile crane would also not be able to reach across the vessel. Even one on each side would not work unless its a large construction crane but I don't know their limits on travel. A container crane load limit is like 40-65 tons on the spreader.

I think they emptied the Sealand Express with a helicopter so that would be another option. Most likely hoping it would be quick but you can see the thing rode up the bank a bit and the bow is jammed in. Also probably trying to locate helicopters and crew.

They hired a salvage team already. The people and equipment physically getting there will take time.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

There was also a sandstorm and heavy winds which, once the ship lost power, blew it sideways and physics handled the rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Spoggerific posted:

I've heard comments elsewhere mention that the pilots in the Suez Canal are pretty corrupt and you can find yourself mysteriously losing places in queue if you don't bribe them with cartons of cigarettes or whatever. I don't suppose anyone here could tell their experiences of transiting the canal?

As a secondary question, do warships take on pilots when they transit canals or enter ports? Is the procedure different than it would be with a civilian vessel if they do?

Warships absolutely use local pilots.