Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

That 2014 Buffalo team is pretty high up there in the argument for worst non-expansion team in league history.

The Stars are pretty rancid scoring 5v5 too.. 1.86 goals per 60 minutes would be near the 10 worst marks in the last decade. The Sabres at 1.32 is on the next level though lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

The Stars are in a rough spot. One of the most banged up teams in the league, record is in the sewer, and their remaining schedule is so messed up that they have openly acknowledged that there will be no practices for the remainder of the season.

I can't ask for much out of this season, but I will settle for Jamie Benn getting run over by a bus.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

On a similar note, there's no :rip: big enough for the Dallas Stars season

I had a feeling they were cooked pre-season and said as much

the cup finals run was a mirage which was mostly realized through Khudobin standing on his head and unsustainable scoring rates on the limited chances this team produces. At best (fully healthy) this is a 5-8 seed in the west.

I'm just thankful that Jim Nill was robbed of his ability to try and find "the last piece" in the off-season by COVID destroying our owner's finances. It will turn out to be a real blessing in the future that the Stars didn't sink any resources into this year.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Furnaceface posted:

Dallas is the new Minnesota. Perpetually mediocre.

Those Minnesota teams had much better underlying numbers than the Stars of the last few years..

It looked like it was trending upwards right before Montgomery got fired, ever since Bowness took over the Stars are kind of unlike any other team... A historically bad team on offense that plays a really strong defensive system to the point they kind of break even but then they lose games on special teams which are rancid.

The Phoenix Coyotes under Dave Tippet (the bad years where they didn't make the playoffs) may be a better comparison?

***we (Stars fans) have been informed by the media following the team that any discussion of replacing the coach is ridiculous because the team literally has no scheduled practices for the remainder of the season, and any talks of "tanking" are also ridiculous because we have all these terrible contracts for veterans.. and some terrible contracts for non veterans.

So it's really a very hopeless place to be lol

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Mar 5, 2021

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

soggybagel posted:

Greatest moment in Stars history.

https://youtu.be/DmfMQ8wx5k0

yeah.. I still laugh at that every time. Some things are just funny.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Cocaine Bear posted:

Stars. Not intentional, but they're doing it anyway!

The Stars are begrudgingly playing their young prospects because the team's veterans are all injured. They didn't chase after a cup with the typical UFA signings after last season's fluke run because COVID destroyed the finances of their owner. They have been horrendously unlucky in OT / shooutout this year which has combined with the missed games due to COVID and the freak ice storm to put them further out of the playoff picture than they typically would be at this point in a regular season, meaning they likely won't try to waste assets on trading for help to get them in the playoffs / are more likely to be sellers.

All of the factors are kind of conspiring to get this team the soft rebuild that is sorely needed lol. This season may be looked back down the line as one where the franchise took a real turn for the positive.

**like it can't be understated how helpful the missed games are in keeping the Stars from ransoming the future. If they had played the same number of games as Chicago at the same .500 pace they would be only 4 points out, easy to see the team making up if they get healthy and maybe make a few key additions! 9 points back is a tougher gap to visualize making up.

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Mar 15, 2021

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

I think there's a 40% or better chance we trade Klingberg for prospects or something.

You don't want to do it, but if the team can't turn out of the toilet you gotta think they can't afford to pay him.

yeah... it's one of those things where you have to balance different values against each other. On one hand you'll never win a cup by paying everyone on the roster what they are worth, you need to find ways to put together a roster that is "worth" 100+ million on a sub 80 million dollar budget. Getting stuck with another contract like we have with Benn or Seguin where they are being paid for past achievements and their standing on the team at the time the contract was signed is not going to feel great...

On the other hand going full Tampa Bay Rays and selling off every single asset for maximum return before they reach free agency probably isn't workable in the NHL for a variety of reasons. You don't want to end up in a situation where you have no continuity or leadership in the locker room. Like at some point you have to identify who your leadership core is and commit to having them around for the next 5 seasons. Even if you don't make all the right decisions, at least you don't end up in this situation where you have the constant roster turnover, the team has no identity, and the fans don't have any players to get attached to.

Klingberg still seems to be this player that is vastly under-rated around the league, like I don't think that he's really looked at as being even a top pairing defenseman by alot of people? He seems to be incredibly popular in the room and he is probably one of the toughest guys on the team and one of the consistently hardest working, so I hope they do find a way to re-sign him at a reasonable salary for another 3 or 4 years.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Ritchie is on the Flames now? who knew.

That's a guy I remember being excited for when he was coming up with the Stars, he put up some great scoring numbers in juniors and the AHL, when he first started with the team under Lindy Ruff he was getting fed a good 14-15 minutes a night on the 2nd line and putting up some goals.. I remember being reasonably sure that he was the young forward on the team with the most promise. his underlying shot /possession metrics were as good as anyone on the team.

When Ken Hitchcock took over the team he was basically told "you're a fighter now" and his ice time was cut to the point he was only getting 3 or 4 minutes some nights and averaged the lowest on the team. I was hoping that when he went to Boston he would get a 2nd chance at developing into a serviceable player, but in retrospect it was clear that they only valued him as a fighter and I'm not surprised that didn't work out either.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

I wonder if ol Shayne Ghost Bear could flourish in Dallas. Despite the random AHLers that have been inserted all over the lineup this year, the Stars are still an amazing team in their own end, giving up hardly anything. If what Gostisbehere needs is a solid foundation to work out of I think the Stars would be alot better positioned than most teams to bring him into the franchise. Currently they are running the corpse of Mark Pysyk and the corpse of Andrej Sekera on their bottom pairing so you know.. he's a pretty major potential upgrade now and in the future.

Dallas also has the benefit of being a 0 pressure environment where nobody will know or care who he is.

**and i mean whatever failings Rick Bowness has as a coach, he seems like a really nice guy to play under.

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Mar 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

fawning deference posted:

Churla was pure goon. I think he still has the most PIM per game average in NHL history with the minimum amount of games played to qualify: 488 games, 2301 PIMs, 26 goals.

yeah, Churla did a pretty good job of getting in the other team's head. He played these little mind games whenever he could.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fxh93avE8Yw