Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Holy poo poo there has to be a new thread title in here I just can't decide what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Snowman_McK posted:

Jan's in a weird spot where he has both clearly turned a corner as a fighter and is a lot better, but is also doing a lot better in an absolutely terrible division. The Reyes win was impressive as hell, but otherwise his new run is two middleweights, one of whom is completely shot, the other of which is old, and Corey Anderson. He's clearly good, but it's also very hard to extrapolate whether he got substantially better or if the stars simply aligned for him, or a bit of both.

We say things like this forgetting how dogshit he was to watch prior to the Dillashaw fight, when he was just a bad wrestlerboxer with no top game at all. He won the title by wrestling, doing nothing on top and getting outboxed by a man with one functioning leg. The Moraes fight was really good though.

He was bad at first but he had a pretty massive turn around and change in his style.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
Bisping is the best

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

BlindSite posted:

He was bad at first but he had a pretty massive turn around and change in his style.

Oh, he's definitely improved. But how much is still sort of hard to gauge. It's like how Cub Swanson did really improve from 2008 to 2014, but also he fought people that weren't Aldo, Mendes and Lamas.

It's weird how much I've started liking Bisping since he retired. Also, god Luke is so handsome. He's like a 90s sitcom dad. Please stop getting punched, Luke.

Remember a couple of years ago, when Jack Slack said that he could easily name 10 fighters better than Mighty Mouse, and Luke Rockhold was one of them? We were all so high on him for a bit.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

TIL luke rockhold and I have the same name for our pets

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

Snowman_McK posted:

It's weird how much I've started liking Bisping since he retired.
Absolutely same.

Snowman_McK posted:

Please stop getting punched, Luke.
Absolutely not same, eat poo poo Luke.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

CommonShore posted:

Holy poo poo there has to be a new thread title in here I just can't decide what

Thanksgiving Easter egg hunt 2002

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

:frogsiren:It’s the UFC 259 Breakdown:frogsiren:

Hey if you don’t think this looks like a good card, you’re in the wrong thread because that means you don’t like mma. This is a triple championship card (one of two in UFC history I think? Idk I can’t remember). And if you think about it, there are 5 belts on the card, even of only 3 of them are on the line. That’s kinda neat. One of the champ fights is super competitive, one is lopsided but oddly compelling, and one is a technical dork’s wet dream so shall we?

Plus as of today we have 15 fights, which means that we’ll probably have a good 11 come Saturday :backtowork:

As a consequence, I’m going to actually break down each section of the card in a different post, because this is three pages in Word by the time I’m through the title fights – there is a lot of fights and a lot to say!

Main Card
Light Heavyweight Championship Jan Blachowicz © (+207) vs Israel Adesanya (-222)
Middleweight champion Israel Adesanya makes his bid at becoming a simultaneous two-division champion, and Polish Power Blachowicz makes his first title defense after upsetting Dominic Reyes to win the vacant title. This is a cool fight from a technical dork’s perspective because there are so many interesting factors.

Blachowicz entered the UFC with a grappler’s resume, and looked for some time like an also-ran contender, but he has shifted his threat towards heavy hands in recent years and put those hands on enough dudes to become the first champion of what may be the post Jon Jones era. He’s on an 8-1 run right now, including decisive, scary KOs of Corey Anderson and Luke Rockhold. He’s an extremely powerful fighter and his game is built around that.

Adesanya on the other hand is a slick technician kickboxer who last time out beat the snot out of challenger Paulo Costa in September. He’s undefeated as a professional mixed martial artist, and 9-0 in the UFC.

What are these factors? Well the first one I see is Jan’s size advantage. Jan is a big light heavyweight – he’s as big for this division as Paulo Costa is for middleweight. Sure, Izzy (a long but lean middleweight) beat Costa, but how will he contend with Jan’s additional 20 lbs? Weight classes exist for a reason. If Izzy can’t get any respect from Jan things won’t go well for him (or perhaps for the audience, see below). People will think back to Silva vs Griffin, but the size difference is much larger here. And if Jan gets to a clinch, he’ll probably just crumple Izzy up into a cube like that looney toons dog mangling Sylvester the cat.

The next one is Izzy’s striking IQ. I don’t like dealing in GOAT talk (in fact I think it’s a stupid conversation because obviously it’s GSP) but Izzy may be the best striker ever in MMA. He’s on that short list and in that conversation. He’s fast and creative, and he has adapted his skills well to the sport. If he can hurt Jan, his speed and technical superiority are so great that it’s hard to see how he loses this.

Here's the problem though – these two factors can come together into an extremely boring fight. If Izzy can’t get Jan’s respect, but then it goes past the first round, Izzy is disciplined and smart enough (and shameless enough) to just tap Jan’s knee with low-commitment low kicks for the next 20 minutes and take a decision. He’ll do what he has to win, and he’s not risk adverse, but he’s also not one to take stupid risks just because someone boos him. Don’t forget the Yoel Romero fight.

Featherweight Championship Amanda Nunes ©(-710) vs Megan Anderson (+750)
Some money has come in on Anderson since last night – she was +8xx last I looked. This is our blowout. Women’s Featherweight is a lovely division. There simply aren’t enough fighters in it for it to be competitive, but Nunes has killed everyone and the only possible contender in either of the two divisions that she terrorizes is Megan Anderson.

Nunes is a powerful grappler/brawler. She has a judo black belt, so she’s hard to take down, she has a BJJ black belt and an excellent back game, so she murders opponents on the ground, and she also has accurate punches and faceplant KO power. She is the most dominant woman in the sport. At one time she had a reputation of being a one-round fighter, but that’s well in the past. She’s coming off a 5-round brutal beating of grappler Felicia Spencer.

Anderson is pretty much just a kickboxer. She’s the tallest woman in the UFC (probably ever), and she has a crummy ground game – she got notably outgrappled by Holly Holm. But here’s the thing – she has power: Holly Holm decided it was best to take her down.

Anderson doesn’t have a great set of tools, but last night Dan Hardy released a breakdown which made me (and some gamblers) realize that she may have the right tools to threaten Nunes: long straight punches to meet Nunes’s hooks, strength in the clinch to make Nunes work to take it down, and pretty good timing that can make things connect. She also has extremely freaky long legs which she likes to throw on an opponent on the exit, and which she can make connect hard enough to end a fight. Would I bet the house on Anderson? gently caress no. But I might throw a small bet on her while I pick Nunes in a parlay.

Bantamweight Championship Petr Yan © (-104) vs Aljamain Sterling (-107)
And here’s our pickem. This fight is raddddd. Yan is our fresh champ of the post-Cejudo era, taking the vacant title by beating up an unfortunately overmatched Jose Aldo in July. He’s good at punching people, at kicking them, and good at wrestling them too.

Sterling is the current darling of the Serra-Longo camp. He’s primarily a grappler but he has some striking skills too. He’s right now on a 5-fight streak with a blow-out first-round submission of Cory Sandhagen (the guy who clowned Frankie Edgar) in June.

For me the X factor in this is relative experience. They have a one common opponent: Jimmie Rivera (last weekend’s FOTN), who they both beat by decision. Yan is undefeated in the UFC, but he did this funny thing where he got the title shot with a bit of luck – while Aljo, and a few other top contenders like Marlon Moraes played a game of “let’s all beat each other in an MMA math circle,” allowing Cejudo the double-champ opportunity, Yan leapfrogged them and got a title shot by KOing the ghost of Urijah Faber, and then won the belt from an overmatched Jose Aldo. Meanwhile, Aljo has had to scrap through a series of top guys in the last couple of years.

Yan needs to show that he’s truly the champ. Aljo has earned his shot and stands on top of a heap of contenders. This is a great fight from a sporting perspective. Let’s enjoy it.

Lightweight Islam Makachev (-326) vs Drew Dober (+285)
This match loving owns. Islam is, according to Khabib, the heir to the lightweight division. He’s 18-1 overall and 7-1 UFC, his one loss a KO to Adriano Martins in his second UFC fight in 2015. Last time out he clowned BJJ standout Davi Ramos in September 2019 (that might be important). Dober is a lightweight dark horse, and he has earned my respect slowly in recent years. He’s on a 3-fight KO streak bringing his UFC record to 9-4 (1 NC). He’s a sturdy muay thai-based fighter. He has been outgrappled in the past (Dariush and Olivier Aubin-Mercier both submitted him) so Makachev is a rightful favourite, but Dober is an excellent and accurate striker who seems to have put things together. Makachev’s inactivity may also be a factor here.

Light Heavyweight Thiago Santos (+138) vs Aleksander Rakic (-149)
Hell yes. Santos fought not long ago so I’m going to reuse what I wrote: Santos is a mediocre-to-good middleweight who moved up to light heavyweight, went on a tear, and took Jon Jones to an extremely close decision which nearly everyone other than the judges scored for Santos. Oh, and Santos blew out both of his knees in that fight. This is his return to action. Santos is extremely aggressive, has power in all limbs, extremely accurate kicks, and a penchant for body shots. He’s fun to watch. He lost that fight to Glover by third round RNC, and by bad fight IQ. He severely hurt Glover with strikes several times but allowed Glover the chance to recover. Oh, and Santos has a KO over current champ Jan.

Rakic is an Austrian with a 5-1 UFC record, his loss a split decision to former title challenger Volkan Oezdemir. In September he took a pretty one-sided decision over former title challenger Anthony Smith. He’s a pretty well-rounded fighter with a couple quick KO wins. I don’t have too many thoughts on Rakic – I’ve seen him fight, and I remember he looked good, but nothing really stuck. This is a cool fight because they’re both strikers and Santos is one of the hardest hitters in the sport.

Prelims coming tomorrow.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
UFC events with 3 belts on the line:

Dave Menne vs Gil Castillo for inaugural middleweight title
Jens Pulver vs Dennis Hallman for lightweight title
Tito Ortiz vs Vladimir Matyushenko for light heavyweight title

Joanna Jedrzejczyk vs Karolina Kowalkiewicz for strawweight title
Tyron Woodley vs Stephen Thompson for welterweight title
Eddie Alvarez vs Conor McGregor for lightweight title

Cris Cyborg vs Tonya Evinger for vacant bantamweight title
Tyron Woodley vs Demian Maia for welterweight title
Daniel Cormier vs Jon Jones for light heavyweight title

Joanna Jedrzejczyk vs Rose Namajunas for strawweight title
Cody Garbrandt vs TJ Dillashaw for bantamweight title
Michael Bisping vs Georges St-Pierre for middleweight title

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

LobsterMobster posted:

UFC events with 3 belts on the line:

Dave Menne vs Gil Castillo for inaugural middleweight title
Jens Pulver vs Dennis Hallman for lightweight title
Tito Ortiz vs Vladimir Matyushenko for light heavyweight title

Joanna Jedrzejczyk vs Karolina Kowalkiewicz for strawweight title
Tyron Woodley vs Stephen Thompson for welterweight title
Eddie Alvarez vs Conor McGregor for lightweight title

Cris Cyborg vs Tonya Evinger for vacant bantamweight title
Tyron Woodley vs Demian Maia for welterweight title
Daniel Cormier vs Jon Jones for light heavyweight title

Joanna Jedrzejczyk vs Rose Namajunas for strawweight title
Cody Garbrandt vs TJ Dillashaw for bantamweight title
Michael Bisping vs Georges St-Pierre for middleweight title

Neat! And so 205 was the first one with 4 belts (one champ vs champ), and this is the first with 5 (one double champ, and one champ vs champ).

Thanks!

e. UFC 245 had 4 belts and 3 title fights too I just discovered by accident

Usman vs Covington
Max vs Volk
Nunes vs GDR

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Mar 3, 2021

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
And the records of that just cause.

Inaugural title
Pulver retained
Ortiz retained

Joanna retained
Woodley retained by draw
Alvarez lost

vacant title
Woodley retained
DCvJones overturned NC

Joanna lost
Cody lost
Bisping lost

Usman retained
Holoway lost
Nunes retained

Took 15 years from 33 to 205 to do 3 title fights. 2001-2016
Did the UFC ever try in-between and just fail? Or they just never cared to run 3 titles on a card?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Snowman_McK posted:

Also, god Luke is so handsome.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
I dont recall if they had previously tried for 3-title fight shows, but since I think UFC 33 ran past the alloted ppv time slot, they probably didn't attempt it

Also, since they were running only PPV for so long, it didnt make sense to essentially use up 3 events worth of title fights on one night

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Digital Jedi posted:

Did the UFC ever try in-between and just fail? Or they just never cared to run 3 titles on a card?

Its because of PPV buys and the payment structure.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

LobsterMobster posted:

I dont recall if they had previously tried for 3-title fight shows, but since I think UFC 33 ran past the alloted ppv time slot, they probably didn't attempt it

Also, since they were running only PPV for so long, it didnt make sense to essentially use up 3 events worth of title fights on one night

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Its because of PPV buys and the payment structure.

Yea sort of forgot of the before times when it was only PPVs they existed and you needed to sell each one much as you can. Using 3 of your titles up for one card probably isn't great to do (and with less titles back then).
Also imagine with how bad 33 was Dana never wanted to do it again until he saw the $$$ in Conor

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Also remember

Before UFC Japan (ca. UFC 16) there was only one champ (HW)
UFC Japan (1997) added LHW
UFC Brazil (ca. UFC 17, 1997)
UFC 30 (2001) added LW (and it mostly disappeared from 2002-2006)
UFC 33 (2001) added MW

And they only had those 5 divisions until 2010 when the UFC absorbed WEC
UFC 123 (2010) added FW
WEC 53 (2010) crowned Cruz as the UFC champ.

Then..
UFC 152 (2012) added FlW
UFC 157 (2013) had the first WBW fight

WSW was added in 2014
WFW and WFlW in 2017.

So they just didn't have the divisions/champions to put three title fights onto a card until probably 2012, unless they wanted to go a really long time without title fights on any of the PPVs.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

double negative posted:

lol yes i'm sure kadyrov was extremely persuasive

Make two wrongs a right and do the same thing to Khabib imo.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Stupid sexy Rockhold

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Snowman_McK posted:

We say things like this forgetting how dogshit he was to watch prior to the Dillashaw fight, when he was just a bad wrestlerboxer with no top game at all. He won the title by wrestling, doing nothing on top and getting outboxed by a man with one functioning leg. The Moraes fight was really good though.

that's part of why i think he's so great. world champion wrestler tries out wide stance long pants karate and it makes him a world champion MMA fighter. i liked the DJ fight, especially in light of their first fight. and that DJ fled to ONE afterwards.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
Cejudo was not just a bad wrestleboxer before the TJ fight; he was the 125lbs karate hottie. And mostly fun to watch, IMO. Hopefully he comes back and beats up Yan or Aljo soon.

Skjorte fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Mar 3, 2021

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

CommonShore posted:

It's "There's a b league thread by the way".

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I know I'm making the classic mistake of disrespecting an underdog, but I think Jan's had an exceptionally fortunate road to the title and I don't think the Izzy fight is going to be competitive. I think his straightforward style is going to get countered to gently caress and back.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

I think weight classes matter and Izzy is going to weigh in at 200 with a dumbbell shaped backpack on or some poo poo, then Jan is gonna miss weight and knock him out and they just give the belt back to Jones for some reason.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

CarlCX posted:

I know I'm making the classic mistake of disrespecting an underdog, but I think Jan's had an exceptionally fortunate road to the title and I don't think the Izzy fight is going to be competitive. I think his straightforward style is going to get countered to gently caress and back.

I think the opposite actually. I think mini stipe will catch Izzy as he's going to the body and TKO him

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Bisping becomes more likable the further away from his career he gets.

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

i think izzy will win very easily and you will all look RIDICULOUS for making such INSANE and NEEDLESSLY DEFINITE predictions

also aljo will also win

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

CarlCX posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EG9qypAAWpc

there's reason to be concerned

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Stupid sexy Rockhold

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

https://twitter.com/BloodyElbow/status/1367127872641638405

was not expecting that

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

:sax: If you have sex assault settlements and you need cash now 🎶

awesomeolion
Nov 5, 2007

"Hi, I'm awesomeolion."

Add some wheels and Jan can drive the sauna-mobile to weigh ins

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

UFC 259 Prelims (ESPN/ESPN+)

(main card here https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3960854&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post512927248)

Bantamweight Dominic Cruz (+118) vs Casey Kenney (-125)
I like this kind of matchmaking even if I’m not entirely jazzed about the specific matchup. Too often we see former champs left to fight at the top level until we see them get KOed like 5x straight with no opportunity to get their feet underneath them (see: Weidman) and clogging up high-visibility spots that could be going to other matchups. The matchmakers need to be doing more matches like this: let the champ have a fight against someone farther down the totem pole. If they win, they get some confidence back. If they lose, you’re giving a boost to a prospect.

Dominic Cruz was the original UFC Bantamweight champion, getting that honour in 2010 when the UFC absorbed the WEC. He’s a high-activity scrambly striker who has great wrestling that he fluidly mixes in. He has also spent a ton of time on the shelf because his knees have a habit of repeatedly exploding, which leads to him being a two-time champion who only lost the belt once. Cody Garbrandt outclassed him in 2016 to take the belt in one of the best performances ever in MMA (watch it if you haven’t) and then Cruz in his next fight in 2020 challenged Henry Cejudo for the belt and lost by second round TKO. This will be Cruz’s first 3-round booking since 2014 and only his second since 2010.

Kenny is a stocky judo-based fighter from LFA who has a 5-Dvalishvilli UFC record (Merab owns more than a couple “0s”). In October he took a fight-of-the-night decision over Nathaniel Wood. This fight will tell us a lot about both fighters. Personally, I think that Cruz is old, but he has a good style for bringing his experience to bear. He has a bad style for fighting with broken knees.

Bantamweight Song Yadong (-141) vs Kyler Phillips (+135)
Song Yadong is a 16-4-1 (1) Chinese fighter with a 5-0-1 UFC record. He has a decision over Chito Vera and a majority draw with Cody Stamann which many thought should have clearly gone against him. He’s a pretty good fighter with pretty good striking, though admittedly I can’t remember many details about him beyond thinking that he has potential. I made fun of Kyler’s name back in October but he won his fight pretty decisively. He’s an 8-1 LFA product with a TUF loss to Brad Katona.

Flyweight Joseph Benavidez (+112) vs Askar Askarov (-117)
Poor Joey B. He was once called the uncrowned king of the Flyweight division, and then Mighty Mouse happened. Then Mighty Mouse went away and then DFigs happened. And now he’s fighting a guy with only one name on an ESPN prelim. Benavidez is an important figure in the lighter weight classes, having come in with the WEC merger. He’s one of the best rounded fighters in MMA, though grappling is his forte, and he has a reputation for being a smart fighter too. He’s coming off of two consecutive stoppage losses to Deiveson in title shots. He’s the champ of Megan Olivi’s heart anyway. Askar Askarov is 12-0-1 with a split draw to current title challenger Brandon Moreno. He’s a Dagestani wrestler with a win by twister. Tune in for some fun grapple action! If Askarov wins he’s probably the next in line for a title shot.

Flyweight Rogerio Bontorin (+118)vs Kai Kara-France (-132)
Second of three flyweight fights on this card. Kara-France is a city kickboxing product from New Zealand with a pretty good all-around striking game, though he lacks stopping power. He’s 5-2 in the UFC, though his losses are to Brandon Moreno (title challenger) and Brandon Royval (had a #1 contender shot) so he’s still in the mix. His fight with Royval in September, by the way, was a banger. Bontorin is a Brazilian from contender series. He has two UFC wins over dudes I don’t know, and then a February decision loss to Ray Borg (who has been released for losing a bunch of fights). Idk anything about him.

Even Earlier Prelims (ESPN+/Fight Pass)
Flyweight Tim Elliott vs Jordan Espinosa
Tim Elliott got kicked out of the UFC for losing too many fights, and then he came back on TUF to win a title shot against Mighty Mouse, which he lost, and then he lost some more fights. He’s a fun fighter to watch because he’s a weirdo who fights with his back to his opponent. His last time out he won a decision over Ryan Benoit, and to be fair to Elliot his three consecutive losses before that were to Brandon Royval, Askar Askarov, and Deiveson. Espinoza is a guy who I can’t really remember. He’s from the contender series and is 2-3 in the UFC. His best win is Mark De La Rosa, which isn’t especially impressive. Oh Espinoza had Covid, so if you’re tracking that....

Light Heavyweight Kennedy Nzechukwu (+219) vs Carlos Ulberg (-230)
Ulberg is a 3-0 Kiwi who got in via the Contender series. He’s at City Kickboxing. I remember his win on DWCS once I looked it up – he caught a guy in a brawl. He’s tall and has power, but no experience. Nzechukwu is a 7-1 Nigerian fighter who also came in via CS. He got triangled by Paul Craig, but that seems to be a rite of passage for new light heavyweights these days anyway. I think he’s a striker.

Welterweight Sean Brady (-192) vs Jake Matthews (+184)
Matthews was supposed to become what eventually Robert Whittaker became. He’s an Australian who came in as something of a young super-prospect but he just rather matured into a mid-carder like Evan Dunham. He’s only 26, but he’s 10-4 in the UFC. Last time out he took something of an uninspiring but comfortable decision win over Diego Sanchez. Brady is 13-0, 3-0 UFC. In August he submitted some dude, but then had to withdraw from a booking with Belal Wozzname because of a broken nose.

Strawweight Livia Renata Souza (+205) vs Amanda Lemos (-215)
Souza is a former Invicta strawweight champ who has gone 3-1 in the UFC, losing to Brianna Van Buren. She’s grapple based, and generally pretty active in fights. She doesn’t look like a future title challenger to me. Lemos is 2-1 UFC with only 3 fights since 2017. She took a decision over M I Z U K I in August.

Lightweight Uros Medic (-157) vs Aalon Cruz (+114)
Yep I checked the spellings. Medic is a 6-0 Serb making his debut off of a first-round CS win on August. He trains with Rafael Cordeiro and that seems to match his KO-heavy record. Cruz is 8-3 with a KO loss to Spike Carlyle in his only UFC fight.

Bantamweight Mario Bautista (-225) vs Trevin Jones (+206)
Bautista is 9-1, with two straight UFC wins since losing his debut to Sandhagen. He has performance bonuses in both of those wins. Trevin Jones fights under the flag of Guam. In August he scored a POTN KO of Timur Valiev but then :420: lost that on his record, so right now he’s 0-0 (1NC) in the UFC.

There you have it! Tune in! It all looks quite watchable and fun.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

i'm so glad dom cruz is fighting on this card so that he can't be commentating it

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Aye Doc posted:

i'm so glad dom cruz is fighting on this card so that he can't be commentating it

Has he worked a PPV?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

As some expected after 4 consecutive TKO losses, Junior dos Santos is released.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CL-cSTlJb51

Edit: Seems like Overeem, as well.

Brut fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Mar 4, 2021

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

As yet unconfirmed rumors Overeem's gone too. UFC might be cleaning house of the bigger contracts they don't feel are worth it anymore.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Bluedeanie posted:

:sax: If you have sex assault settlements and you need cash now 🎶

lmao

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Brut posted:

Has he worked a PPV?

he was on both UFC 252 and 247

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Skjorte posted:

Cejudo was not just a bad wrestleboxer before the TJ fight; he was the 125lbs karate hottie. And mostly fun to watch, IMO. Hopefully he comes back and beats up Yan or Aljo soon.

I'm pretty sure Yan, at least, would beat him. Yan has better and quicker hands than Moraes and doesn't get tired the way Moraes does. His defensive wrestling is also excellent.

Brut posted:

I think weight classes matter

They do. They exist to protect Light Heavyweights from people who fight in real divisions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

this is the dumbest sport

https://twitter.com/MMAjunkie/status/1367242626726957059