Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Someone who was finished by Felicia Spencer during a grappling exchange within recent memory and soundly lost to an offensive grappling gameplan from Holly Holm, a fifty year old boxer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

GDR"s most recent submission win over someone with a wikipedia page is Julianna Pena like a week ago whereas Megan Anderson's is over the GOAT Cindy Dandois six years ago.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

"Roguelikes"*

*Latest Fad
women's fw is worse than heavyweight

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Well when you multiply two negatives, you get a positive.

Let's all push for Women's Heavyweight for 2021.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Actually I have an important question.
Has light heavyweight always sucked.

I started watch UFC in the very late double digits and LHW always seems to be the exciting division.

Now I wonder if it's just false memories/ nostalgia.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

TheReverend posted:

Well when you multiply two negatives, you get a positive.

Let's all push for Women's Heavyweight for 2021.

Finally a division for Gabi.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

TheReverend posted:

Actually I have an important question.
Has light heavyweight always sucked.

I started watch UFC in the very late double digits and LHW always seems to be the exciting division.

Now I wonder if it's just false memories/ nostalgia.

Yeah, it's pretty much always sucked on the whole, but it sucked in a fun way for a while and everyone didn't know better, so don't feel too bad about it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

LHW had a boost early on because even if it was a garbage division it had the benefit of a few exciting early champions who also had personalities: Frank Shamrock, Tito Ortiz, Chuck Liddell, Randy Couture, Rampage, Forrest. If we add pride we can throw in Wanderlei, Hendo, and Shogun.

Here's the thing: that's basically all of the good light heavyweights for the first 20 years of the sport. I know I'm skipping a few, but pretty much everyone outside of the famous champs were trash.

It's probable that the era between Rampage and Jon Jones was the time where the division was its absolute best from a competitive standpoint

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

CommonShore posted:

It's probable that the era between Rampage and Jon Jones was the time where the division was its absolute best from a competitive standpoint

Yeah that's the era I was introduced to.
I remember it feeling every fight at the title level was super competitive and not just an unholy sacrifice to Jon Jones.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Aye Doc posted:

https://twitter.com/jhkmma/status/1367484209418407936

it's been so long since Choi had a good fight that i don't actually remember why i was hyped for him. but hey, he's had like 14 months off to rest his hot brains now, hopefully he can come back strong

He loving rules. I'm delighted.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/mma-ufc/ufc-260-could-move-to-texas-with-full-attendance-2294879/

Now I remember why I loving hate Dana

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/espnmma/status/1367886882072367104

Jan weighed 205

Digital Jedi fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Mar 5, 2021

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Yikes, now that'll be a weight difference. Izzy must be planning on full on evasion until the later part of round 3.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

a guy i know texted me the news yesterday and he's really excited. then again, he's fully hard for q-anon and thinks covid is caused by 5g and kept sending me poo poo despite my wife being an ER nurse in the boston area, which was hit hard early.

anyway, texas is as dumb as that guy

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Southpaugh posted:

Yikes, now that'll be a weight difference. Izzy must be planning on full on evasion until the later part of round 3.

Would be pretty funny if he won a decision by occasionally kicking Jan's leg while doing nothing else for 5 rounds.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Brut posted:

A new season is upon us, but a new OP will come later.

Submit your choices here!

https://forms.gle/pQRhg1Rf2GDzgCXQ8

View your choices here!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-E_8orOIr0Wyys2XK3tRxNK_aNSTHYp2xrqtdRRFZJc

Quoting myself from the goonweight thread, thank you in advance for letting me know about the dozens of mistakes you'll find in the form. Actually that part's not that bad but the calculation bullshit will suck :smith:

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Aye Doc posted:

https://twitter.com/jhkmma/status/1367484209418407936

it's been so long since Choi had a good fight that i don't actually remember why i was hyped for him. but hey, he's had like 14 months off to rest his hot brains now, hopefully he can come back strong

hell yeah. the most exciting/best 3-3 fighter in the UFC. does this mean he's not going to have to do his service at all? or just delaying?

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
I know the odds look tempting to bet on Megan, but if you look at her UFC stats, she is very hittable. Nune also has long punches, and hits HARD.

Going to quote this tomorrow.
Nunes KO before round 3.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I have 20 dollars in a multi bet with Nunes to win in the first round and Israel to win in the 2nd. It's paying 28 dollars.

I think Nunes just flogs Anderson really badly and I think Israel has a few quiet minutes in the first until Jan over extends at which time he'll get pieced the gently caress up. He'll be going to his stool wobbly and Israel will catch him with a check hook early in the 2nd and finish and I don't think he gets out of 2nd gear to do it.

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

BlindSite posted:

I have 20 dollars in a multi bet with Nunes to win in the first round and Israel to win in the 2nd. It's paying 28 dollars.

I think Nunes just flogs Anderson really badly and I think Israel has a few quiet minutes in the first until Jan over extends at which time he'll get pieced the gently caress up. He'll be going to his stool wobbly and Israel will catch him with a check hook early in the 2nd and finish and I don't think he gets out of 2nd gear to do it.

Looking at betfair exchange in the UK, I can get 7.2 on Adesanya winning in r2. (ie bet 10, get 72 back for 62 profit) . Nunes odds are 2.5 for r1. I don't know if you can do a multi bet but just betting 10 dollars on each separately would get me 72 profit. If the odds stayed the same and I made the bets sequentially I'd be in for 360.

I'm not sure you got the best odds there... Unless you missed a zero (and maybe even then!)

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Jan's pretty durable, but if Thiago Santos can clip him and put him down during one of his slow, lovely lurches, I've got no reason to believe Israel can't do it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

UFC 259 GDT
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3961305

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

So i don't jump in and spoil myself, why are there 900+ new posts in the gdt and how can I watch the related matches without spoilers?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

ilmucche posted:

So i don't jump in and spoil myself, why are there 900+ new posts in the gdt and how can I watch the related matches without spoilers?

Short answer is that there are that many posts because it was a really fun PPV to watch, for a variety of reasons, and I recommend finding a way to watch it if possible.

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

ilmucche posted:

Cause it was a big card, and you can still purchase the ppv for a replay unless you want to be arrested by Dana's crack team of Internet police

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

whats the last Weird Finish to a title fight in UFC? Couture vs Belfort 1?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Khabib/McGrefor but for the post fight stuff

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

JOHN CENA posted:

whats the last Weird Finish to a title fight in UFC? Couture vs Belfort 1?

"I got him in a guillotine, and I clearly felt a tap"
"WHERE, YOU DUMB MOTHERFUCKER?"

Maybe the Woodley/Thompson draw?

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

"MARCH 8, 2021 OBSERVER NEWSLETTER" posted:

Dan Hardy, 38, was fired by both the UFC and BT Sports as an announcer over an issue in Abu Dhabi where he got into an argument with a female employee. He then issued a challenge to Nick Diaz. I don’t expect anything to come of it. Hardy does have a fighters contract that still exists with UFC, but he’s not medically cleared due to being diagnosed with a heart ailment, Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome, which can be corrected with surgery, but he hasn’t wanted to get surgery. MVP in WWE was diagnosed with that in his first run and had it corrected with surgery. If he wanted to fight, given it’s been eight years and UFC hasn’t offered him a fight, it should be easy to get out of that deal and fight elsewhere. However, Hardy has negotiated for grappling matches everywhere and other fights and it’s never gone anywhere

According to Melzter Dan Hardy got himself fired from doing commentary.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
drat that sucks, i like Dan on commentary

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

ilmucche posted:

You're confused why there could be shitload of posts in a very big, 3-title fight card, you're asking why but you also don't want us to tell you what happened so you don't spoil yourself and lastly you also want us to link you things that are against the rules here. Dawg.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Digital Jedi posted:

According to Melzter Dan Hardy got himself fired from doing commentary.

awwww that sucks

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009
He was the voice of the international cards for a long time, and I always liked it. I wonder what he said/who he pissed off, must have been pretty serious considering it’s the ufc

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/MightyMouse/status/1368426811214864395

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Bring back soccer kicks to the face and punches to the nuts - the just bleed era is back baby

Also unlimited steroid buffets

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009
I have no issues with knees, soccer kicks are a bad look on abc tho

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Let it rain 12 to 6's

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Why is it that MMA fighters are getting away from sparring when they train for fights? Wouldn't it makes sense the best way to prepare for fights would be...figthing?

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Risk of pre-fight injury I'd imagine

I'd think it's more of a move away from full contact sparring taking real damage leading up to a fight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

Why is it that MMA fighters are getting away from sparring when they train for fights? Wouldn't it makes sense the best way to prepare for fights would be...figthing?

Getting your brains bashed in every day is not great long term it turns out. Avoiding getting hit in the head is going to be the norm going forward. We still haven't seen what is sure to be the first big wave of CTE stuff re:MMA.