Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Snowman_McK posted:

Jan's in a weird spot where he has both clearly turned a corner as a fighter and is a lot better, but is also doing a lot better in an absolutely terrible division. The Reyes win was impressive as hell, but otherwise his new run is two middleweights, one of whom is completely shot, the other of which is old, and Corey Anderson. He's clearly good, but it's also very hard to extrapolate whether he got substantially better or if the stars simply aligned for him, or a bit of both.

We say things like this forgetting how dogshit he was to watch prior to the Dillashaw fight, when he was just a bad wrestlerboxer with no top game at all. He won the title by wrestling, doing nothing on top and getting outboxed by a man with one functioning leg. The Moraes fight was really good though.

He was bad at first but he had a pretty massive turn around and change in his style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I have 20 dollars in a multi bet with Nunes to win in the first round and Israel to win in the 2nd. It's paying 28 dollars.

I think Nunes just flogs Anderson really badly and I think Israel has a few quiet minutes in the first until Jan over extends at which time he'll get pieced the gently caress up. He'll be going to his stool wobbly and Israel will catch him with a check hook early in the 2nd and finish and I don't think he gets out of 2nd gear to do it.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Unperson_47 posted:

I asked this in the wrong UFC thread so I'll post it here because there are probably more eyes on it and I'd like to know:

This is coming from someone who has watched a ton of professional wrestling and having just started watching MMA literally this year but if titles shouldn't be transferred via DQ, what's to stop people from intentionally DQ'if they know they are going to lose?

Should it be a 0-10 loss of the round in the case of an illegal move that is deemed disaqualifying?

That exactly the reason they transfer.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Keith Hackney punched Joe Son's crotch repeatedly back in the day.

Off the top of my head Matt Riddell (riddle?) got knocked out with an upkick when he was on his knees, Mir got stomped on by Wes Sims, Lombard knocked Dollaway stupid after the buzzer, Greg hardy kicked someone in the head when they were down and I think I'm forgetting another one.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Mark Smith, Beltran and Herzog are really good.

Scapegoat posted:

Can someone explain the Cruz Monster influencer rant? Is this a severe career limiting move? Seems kind of petty.

I did a bit of a look into this after being confused by it as well. Basically Monster energy sponsor a bunch of fighters, you can see the little monster logo on their shorts in the UFC, the BMF himself also has his picture on their new sports drink - think lovely gatorade with caffeine in it, there's also the water bottles that the fighters have been using lately with monster logos on them.

The guy Cruz called out is in charge of the sponsorship deals. Allegedly he's been making demands of the fighters outside of what's contracted. So for you to get a deal with Monster you have to do poo poo for this guys personal brand, like show up to other events he's organising, pose with him in pictures and give access etc - gas him up so he looks like a cool dude who's bros with actual fighters etc and if you don't he pulls your deal or gives you a shittier one. Most of the guys who are fed up with it don't have a platform or need the money. Cruz is financially secure and has good jobs outside of Monster money so he could afford to call the guy out. A few in the press know whats going on and have been tossing Cruz softball questions to allow him to go off about it.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I gave Rogans podcast with Mark Smith a listen today and yesterday at the gym. Its very light on the Rogansperg and very much just an awesome dude talking a whole lot about being a fighter pilot and about the path to becoming an MMA ref and judge. Given the current referee discussion it's a really good listen. He was also the referee for the fight between Yan and Sterling this weekend just gone. Talks a whole lot about the referee and fighter meetings. It clocks in at about 3 hours but he's got really interesting stories.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

If they were serious about eye pokes they would make it an automatic 1 point deduction. Fighters would sure as poo poo make the effort.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

crepeface posted:

sounds a bit like volk is putting the blame on the UFC for their lovely bubble. it really sucks for anyone to go from a country that's largely got covid under control to a UFC controlled environment let alone a world champion that has something to prove.

There's no community transmission in Aus atm so it has to be the UFC bubble unless he hosed up in a car or airport.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

This card will deliver because it's a half dropped meat pie of a card. Its the shiny ones ya gotta be worried about.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

CommonShore posted:

I don't like Hermannson vs Shabazyan from a divisional growth perspective. Top 10 fighters should be fighting outside of the top 10 when coming off of a loss. I'd put Hermannson especially against like Holland/Strickland tier fighters because he's at the point now where he has been at the top twice and knocked down, so someone else should get a chance to build a name off of him and break into the top 15. Shabazyan needs to be built up again and he could fight a DWCS guy with a winning record to give him another cool finish or determine if he's actually overrated.

I dunno man, I'd argue that Hermannson kind of jumped up when he subbed Gastellum and the UFC way has always been to put on the best fights they can rather than protecting guys. I'm all for it since boxing now days has most of the match ups we should see coming 5 years too late.

The trade off seems to be that one decent win even if you've lost recently will get you a title shot. I get wanting to bring fighters along slowly but I think their willingness to give people fights based off form kind of counteracts that a little too.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

Conor’s manager’s account spotted.

3-3 from 6 McGregor has certainly been protected his entire career by the UFC, yes.

I'm not discounting the point about building contenders, but at the same time the UFC didn't become what it is by avoiding putting together good fights. I mean poo poo, at the end of the day one of them is going to win and get a pop barring a boring tepid decision and the loser is one great performance away from an eliminator fight.

For all the faults, the UFC doesn't act like MMA forums and media and go, "oh he lost his fight before this one - he doesn't deserve a shot". Not for nothing but there were people ITT discounting Israel Adesenya before he got his interim shot because he didn't beat the breaks off Vettori. I agree its a fine line but there's not really any, well... many bad fighters in the UFC. I think your best bet to make contenders is to give them the best fights available from a show perspective and go from there.

My point is less what's good for their careers and more - their careers will be fine if they're good enough anyway, even with a loss and the overall product of "good fights" is going to do as much for them than crushing no bodies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

That is a weird fuckin' fight, but it could be fun. Seems like Diaz will almost certainly get severely tuned up.

Diaz will win