Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

finally managed to beat the secret boss with a vampirism rogue and a ton of sand dune/oasis tiles. fun little distraction, but the opacity of the game systems can wear at times (has anyone figured out what the hell blood lightning does?)

IIRC blood lightning is identical in damage to storm temple lightning, so middling base damage + high scaling damage based on target's armor. Chews through skeletons and other high armor enemies but isn't super useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
New patch came out

Finlal posted:

10-april-2021 - Loop Hero v 1.013 smallfix

Fist of all, sorry for slowing down on patches - we're fully working on a new big patch with a lot of quality of life changes, some new content and a few features that a lot of people have been asking for.
Now for the patchnote!

Summoned skeletons now are affected by beacons
Hero allies are now affected by deserts and sand dunes
Fixed the issue with enemies being able to spawn on top of cracked skeletons
Ranged enemies now properly draw their "charging" state
After the hero dies and resurrects all the enemies change their primary target
Fixed the forester axe not showing proper percentages after stacking
Removing the arsenal now removes the stats from deleted items
Fixed the supply menu sorting feature
Fixed various typos

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

cough getting a bit dusty in here. Have some quick'n dirtily plucked patchnotes fresh from steam.

quote:

LOOP HERO UPDATE v1.1 BETA
The Quality of Life (beta) update is finally live (in beta)!
It's Here!

We've decided to release QoL update v1.1 in Beta first to resolve any unforeseen consequences. We've tested it, of course, and resolved everything we've found, but we still might've missed something. Play at Your Own Risk!
It may be problematic to return to the public v1.013 version with a beta save, so PLEASE, COPY YOUR NEW V1.1.0 SAVE TO A DIFFERENT SLOT.
You can then return to v1.013, if you dislike the patch for some reason. *sharpens blade*

To access the Beta, right click Loop Hero in your Steam Library and go to Properties > Betas. Select "beta1.1" from the dropdown menu and Steam should queue the download.

Main Updates:
In-Expedition Saves: As many of you asked, now the game saves in the expeditions if you quit. To resolve possible issues we've added:
Escape during battles! - Now you can escape to the camp right before the eyes of your enemies. You'll still lose as much loot as you would have if you died, but it's flashier.
Debug retreat and backup loading! - Now if you hold "load"/"continue" button in the main menu, you'll get two new buttons - "debug retreat" and "load backup". First allows you to abandon the expedition on that save and return to camp. But you will lose all your resources from that expedition, so use it in emergency cases only. And backup loads the previous version of your camp.

Expedition and Fight Speed Sliders: Now the speed changing button is a little different. It's a slider going from 1x-4x instead of a 1x-2x switch. There is also an option to change the fight speed, which you can turn on in the options menu. Although the game fighting system is balanced around the default 1x speed and you might risk not understanding what happens on higher speeds.
Decks: Now you can switch the card, item and trait deck, and have up to 4 of them. Oh, and by the way:
Perk Deck: Now there is a possibility to "turn off" the trait you get from bosses, so they aren't a hindrance if you changed your mind.
New Tiles and New Enemies: It's more interesting if you find out about them yourselves. We'll just say there's 3 of each.
Camp Item Stacks: Some camp items have a limit on an amount of same items that can be equipped at once.
Now items can be locked in the inventory by right-clicking them, so they aren't destroyed when you get new equipment.
A lot of traits/enemy skills/parameters reworded for clearer indication of the effect.
A bunch of changes to the English and Russian texts, a lot of typos fixed, as well as some translation issues.
Some Minor Bugfixes.
Speedrun Mode:
Activating this will turn on the chapter timer which will always show during gameplay.
If you start a new game with the speedrun mode on, there will also be an "any%" timer, which shows the time of the entire walkthrough.

After some beta-testing (and probably a few updates), this will become fully public and replace the current v1.013 version.

- Four Quarters Team -

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Stop turning my skeletons off God, you drat it

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Oh yeah I should play this again, it's great.

...man I wish it was on Switch.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

So am I just sort of expected to grind up a shitload of wood and iron in Act 2?

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Pollyanna posted:

So am I just sort of expected to grind up a shitload of wood and iron in Act 2?

You get a multiplier on resources in higher acts. I wouldn't bother grinding act 2.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I got last Act 2 and noticed that by that point, but…

Philthy posted:

Best tip that someone gave me because I'm slow n bad at this is unlock 3-4 watchtowers in camp, and upgrade them when possible. This makes the 1-2 squares before and after your camp re-enforced by 3-4 archers who easy mode anything you place next to your camp. At which point you want to place a village tile before and after with a vampire estate so you end up with 5+ mobs every pass which will easily die to your archers and you'll get loaded up on loot and resources. Just do that to farm a bit and eventually unlock all the important poo poo, then you can kinda sit back.

Granted, rng will still screw you sometimes, but it IS quicker.

Am I missing something here? Cause in the course of two loops, this has given me like maybe 2 full metal resources. Unlocking both Suburbs and Alchemist takes an obnoxious amount of metal, and just having two vamp villages nearby doesn’t cut it. Plus, eventually it runs out.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
It's been a while since I played but unlocking those at act 2 sounds very early to me. Better to focus on beating the boss imo

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I’m at Act 4 now, trying to unlock stuff before I finish.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
The watchtower stuff is nice and also just loading up your loop asap with fights (so long as you aren't dying) is the best way to be showered in equipment/xp, which helps to make runs go long and the constant cycling of excess inventory = lots of metal scraps

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pollyanna posted:

I’m at Act 4 now, trying to unlock stuff before I finish.

if I'm understanding you, then why not farm act 3?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I am, now! I ended up unlocking alchemy and that got me River and various other upgrades, and I can pretty reliably handle 12-13 loops or so on Act 3.

Problem, though: anyone else playing on Switch getting an ungodly amount of lag around loop 11 or so?

https://twitter.com/retrocombine/status/1474053903805075458?s=21

I’m gonna guess this isn’t an issue on PCs because of better hardware, but I’m mystified as to why this is so slow. Is it River, is it the amount of enemies, what is going on? I’ve had multiple crashes due to what I assume is a buffer overflow or something.

Any recommendations on a better farming technique would also be appreciated.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I never did beat the final boss, but I assume I need to grind up more. He just keeps erasing my skeletons then I'm toast lol

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Okay, I can confidently say you should not buy the Switch version! The performance issues I mentioned above are completely absent in the PC version, as you can see here:

https://youtu.be/JWcqNPqTzJU

Something about this game just absolutely annihilates it when…something, I don’t know. I think it’s a combo of sprites on screen and River.

Here’s the performance on a fresh run:

https://twitter.com/retrocombine/status/1474139724784680963?s=21

Here’s loop 7 with a high sprite count:

https://twitter.com/retrocombine/status/1474140105547792393?s=21

And here’s loop 4 with River:

https://twitter.com/retrocombine/status/1474143381089521665?s=21

It’s clearly significantly slower with a high sprite cont, and massively slower with River. Has anyone else seen this?

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
I played on PC and didn't run into any crazy even with near-indefinite looping. That sucks

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I’m starting to get extremely frustrated with this game. I need to stack Exquisite Mirrors to deal with something in Act 4, but there is no reliable way to get them at all. I’ve decomposed all my materials and went on endless loops trying to craft them, but it’s been HOURS and I’ve only got a few.

This is kind of insane. I’m really close to tapping out and just looking up a cheat or exploit or something.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I dunno about that, mirrors aren't that great.

What class/traits/cards/camp items do you have?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Rogue. Details under spoilers in case anyone’s trying to go blind.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
First thing that sticks out to me is you 100% want more monsters spawning. Put in groves, deserts, beacons, outposts and spider eggs imo.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Alright, I can try that. Any tips for farming up the, like, 128 food supplies for upgrading my watchtowers? Or getting more supply items other than lovely furniture?

Also, for Act 4, what loop are you expected to beat the Lich on?

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Dec 24, 2021

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Pollyanna posted:

Alright, I can try that. Any tips for farming up the, like, 128 food supplies for upgrading my watchtowers? Or getting more supply items other than lovely furniture?

Also, for Act 4, what loop are you expected to beat the Lich on?

I don't remember how I farmed supply items, but IIRC Rogue should be able to crush Lich at any point as long as you can keep him from spawning palaces, so take just as long as you need to draw enough cards to block most/all of his palace spawns. With your limited supply items you might need an outpost to help though.

Also as a rogue your bread and butter is anything that spawns lots of enemies -- unlike the knight/necromancer, rogue item quality is based purely on quantity of items you receive instead of how strong the enemies you get items from are. Tip: Chrono crystals can make other tiles spawn enemies quicker.

To actually directly answer your question: I think I usually aimed for loop 7 or 8, but you can probably kill him as late as like 15 and manage to get to the priestess before she becomes an unkillable nightmare for the rogue.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Count Uvula posted:

Also as a rogue your bread and butter is anything that spawns lots of enemies -- unlike the knight/necromancer, rogue item quality is based purely on quantity of items you receive instead of how strong the enemies you get items from are.

The balance here is tricky if you're new to handling the class differences, of course; the biggest things are that spider warrens are a Rogue's best friend, and both swamps and vampires will make life borderline unbearable. The latter can be dealt with in small quantities but make things hard in later loops, but I'd lean more on spiders and groves for monster spawning. A built enough rogue also enjoys having goblins around, so you can prioritize nuking those camps a little lower. (nobody likes having Bandits around after act 1, though, no matter how fast they spawn)

Rogues get pretty much NOTHING from battlefield chests, they're just treated as any other monster, so definitely don't pack those in a rogue run because they can lead to dangerous things if you aren't careful. On the flipside, they have literally nothing to lose from outposts since those only affect gear drops, and you don't get your gear from battle as that class.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Dec 24, 2021

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah I think i beat act 4 with just outposts, spider eggs, thicket spam. I hadn't even unlocked suburbs yet (which are insane for levelling, holy moly).

Putting villages and vampire mansions next to your camp is also the easiest XP in the game. You can even nuke it with an oblivion later on if you wanna repeat the easy xp, although i usually have other things to spend it on.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Dec 24, 2021

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Spiders and outposts worked! I’ve finally conquered Act 4, check out my screen.

Oh no wait that’s wrong

There we go.

Conclusion: it’s certainly pretty and compelling, but the game lacks polish. The art, soundtrack, and writing are excellent, but the system design really needs work and the UI is kinda jank. No idea about the PC version, but the Switch port is often clumsy to use and suffers from some serious performance issues and the above mentioned crashes. I saw Game Maker errors way more often I would ever like to.

The game starts off on the right foot, but isn’t very discoverable or cohesive. Early-midgame hell is real and it took looking up strategies and information online for me to actually get anywhere, which is a total chore.

It’s also very vulnerable to first order optimal strategies like thicket-rivers and stacking attack speed, and it feels like many elements - cards, stats, items, supplies, mechanics - just don’t really matter compared to the heavy hitters. I often wondered why something was in the game at all, and everything just didn’t seem cohesive.

Don’t do what I did and break everything down into raw alchemy material when you unlock it. Building resources back up from that was awful. Also, I will forever maintain that resource drops are WAY too low. I don’t know how you’re actually supposed to get the hundreds of pieces of metal, stone, wood, food, and those weird metamorphosis and expansion orbs you need for most of the upgrades.

It’s especially bad on the Switch cause once you get a nice loop going, you’ve got so much on the board that the game slows to a crawl. Loops past like 8 or 9 are like pulling teeth. I don’t have the patience to go any further, honestly.

If they make a more polished sequel with the same quality of art, writing, and audio, I’m down - but it’s a bit hard to recommend the original.

Edit: oh, and I absolutely hate the Supply item system. Gacha is boring as gently caress, especially when viable strategies are heavily dependent on stacking specific items and most of the items you can make are pretty useless.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Dec 24, 2021

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
You get mats by making an infinite run and getting 99999999999 mats.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Before the end of the game? By that point, there’s nothing to really use it on. I guess I could make more huts and stuff.

Besides, the Switch port lags too badly and crashes too often for that to be an option for me.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
the real end game is in getting infinite mats and then seeing what stupid-rear end builds you can get up to, like 100% reflecting mirrors with literally as many zap towers as you can put hitting you at every single tile

the pc also lets you edit the ini file to speed poo poo up though so

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

Before the end of the game? By that point, there’s nothing to really use it on. I guess I could make more huts and stuff.

Besides, the Switch port lags too badly and crashes too often for that to be an option for me.

it's a roguelite so the endgame is fluid, right. the boss you can beat on a pretty undergeared necro without too much hassle assuming you know how the cards work (more skeletons = better than) basically lol. then there's the secret boss (never beat this myself, whipped my rear end instantly) and making dumbass boards / infinite runs. it's a quirky little game that i enjoyed filling my mind with for a few days and then retiring it. worth the pittance of cheese imo.

sucks the switch version lags. but then again, well, its a crude port to a gimped down nintender so not exactly unexpected

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

The pc version was free on epic a few days ago. You can also accelerate combat speed to be 100 times faster which is pretty helpful for grinding.

Because enemies become more powerful each loop the balance is getting enough ways to scale faster than enemies. Which means cards, xp, and loot, without making things too hard and getting enough sources of sustain. Most build have to bow out before hitting infinite.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
the basic trick to the game which was a eye opener to me is to get as much poo poo on the board as possible as fast as possible so you spawn the bosses fast. like on a4 you should be killing the lich after like 1 loop or something crazy like that. if you cant get the bosses to spawn till loop 11 or something you're hosed kuz they're scaled to hell

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

lich in one loop :shittypop:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Pollyanna posted:

Is that docked or undocked? Because a switch in undocked mode is a potato but if docked switch can’t run this game well :lmao:

I have run this on something a step above a netbook.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Undocked but plugged in. I wonder if that has something to do with it. I had no trouble running Shin Megami Tensei V undocked and that was a faaaaar more demanding game, so I don’t think it’s the Switch.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Pollyanna posted:

Undocked but plugged in. I wonder if that has something to do with it. I had no trouble running Shin Megami Tensei V undocked and that was a faaaaar more demanding game, so I don’t think it’s the Switch.

For whatever reason it does not kick things up a notch when you’re plugged in but not on the dock- would be nice to have more oomph and lower res so stuff like this/links awakening could have a stable frame rate instead of being hard to look at.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You really need to think of it as a puzzle game with some RNG which you have some control over imo, looking up strategies kinda kills the point since you can just guarantee you win at that point.

Smythe posted:

the basic trick to the game which was a eye opener to me is to get as much poo poo on the board as possible as fast as possible so you spawn the bosses fast. like on a4 you should be killing the lich after like 1 loop or something crazy like that. if you cant get the bosses to spawn till loop 11 or something you're hosed kuz they're scaled to hell

you're not a real gamer if you're not fighting a4's boss on loop 30

Pollyanna posted:

lich in one loop :shittypop:

That's a bit of an exaggeration, the achievement for doing a boss in one loop is one of the rarest achievements

:smug:

Though a4 bosses spawn faster.

Protip, don't equip your weapon on loop 1 since the slimes do piddly damage it's okay if it takes 2 days to kill one.

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Dec 25, 2021

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I'm having a rough time on Act 2 with Necro. Progressing past loop 5 or 6 kills me. I guess I should just be grinding to loop 5 and taking the materials to upgrade the base? I put down every drat thing I can and I'm not getting the boss to spawn before then.

Acerbatus posted:

Protip, don't equip your weapon on loop 1 since the slimes do piddly damage it's okay if it takes 2 days to kill one.

'Splain plz

Canuckistan fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Dec 25, 2021

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Acerbatus posted:

You really need to think of it as a puzzle game with some RNG which you have some control over imo, looking up strategies kinda kills the point since you can just guarantee you win at that point.

you're not a real gamer if you're not fighting a4's boss on loop 30

That's a bit of an exaggeration, the achievement for doing a boss in one loop is one of the rarest achievements

:smug:

Though a4 bosses spawn faster.

That one's for winning your first ever game, not in one loop

Canuckistan posted:

I'm having a rough time on Act 2 with Necro. Progressing past loop 5 or 6 kills me. I guess I should just be grinding to loop 5 and taking the materials to upgrade the base? I put down every drat thing I can and I'm not getting the boss to spawn before then.

'Splain plz

Taking longer in each fight means the loop takes more time to complete, giving you more monster spawns/healing ticks

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Canuckistan posted:

'Splain plz

The game is a bit of a puzzle. You should try experimenting with card types and placement. You shouldn't need to grind 5 loops and quit.

Necromancer is bad against certain enemies that are easy for rogue or warrior and need a different setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The thing that busted the game wide open for me was the river+thicket combo.

Attack speed just breaks the poo poo out of the game.