Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Philthy posted:

Having a hard time getting orbs of expansion. Made from parts that drop when fighting 4 or more mobs. I've got spider dens all over and they're dropping like ... almost never. What's the trick to get these things? Go to act 1 and just go nuts on the spider dens and goblin camps?

"more than 4" is actually the phrasing there. Have books and vamps on the ready. Act 1 is fine for grinding them, though, if you don't want to mess with how dangerous books and/or vamps and/or book'd vamps can get later on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Eeepies posted:

I'm finding that spiders are actually pretty bad for Necro. They attack too fast and chew through all your skeletons, so they do a lot of damage. Swapping off the spiders for mosquitoes made the loop much easier.

Necro vastly prefers slow, strong attackers to fast, weaker ones, yeah. Ratwolves are already a handful for them if they show up with sturdier buddies, but if you get spiders or ghouls or goblins at a bad place/time, you're just gonna eat a truckload of hits and not be able to raise an offense of your own. Flesh golems and scarecrows are kind of chumps against the skeleton wave, though.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I have no idea what I'm doing on Chapter 4 :v:

Necromancer is cool but he feels like he's the easiest hero to get completely RNG screwed. I have no idea how to build him properly so usually just 'gently caress it whatever'. Kind of turning into the same with warrior as I have no idea what gold card works best for them and they don't have any friendly distractions to take the heat off themselves.

I won't argue that you can get RNG screwed with the Necro early on, but it's only the early game when Necro is weak, when you don't have many thickets or perks and you're still scrabbling whatever gear you can find. Contrast the warrior, who can coast along for a long time on nothing but fumes and subpar builds but then struggles to punch into the heavier loops or boss killing.

As far as how to build Necro? Equip-wise, focus on Summon Quality and Max Skels exclusively; you ideally want SQ to be at 60% or higher and at least 3 to 4 skels. Prioritize the +skeleton level perk if you can, since it's not retroactive according to the tooltip, then magic hp per summon, and then the damage split. If you have to get those in a different order, fine, but if those three aren't your first perks you might end up stumbling.

Deck-wise, Necros want arsenal (the dip in summon quality on items from 30% Max to 20% Max is survivable with the extra slot and the extra slot means extra skeleton potential), forests, rivers, suburbs. Avoid Spiders, heavily consider the risk of battle fields (ghosts are fine but an accidental siren will ruin your entire poo poo). Nuke gobbos and bandits, leave villages? and vamp/books. The only hazard of treasuries is that you really want those tiles to be thickets instead; gargoyles and skeletons are no problem once the pain train gets rolling with >4 skels.

The trick to unlocking Necromancer's power is that Summon Quality is the godstat; it effectively caps at 100% (even if you can get it higher with equipment) but that's directly your chance of spawning Warriors/Guards/Mages instead of Friendlies/Archers. Skeleton Guards in particular are a huge necessity because every time something hits one of them it's not hitting you.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Mar 16, 2021

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Also shout out to the gorgeous sprite animations near the end gosh I love pixel art.

The pixel art is absolutely the biggest one of the biggest draws of this game, next to the music, the low-technique, high-execution gameplay (aka 'planning and placement is more important than twitch reflexs'), and, like, everything else about it.

The Velvet Witch posted:

Are deserts good for anything?

Late-game rogue in particular focuses solely on sand dunes and thickets, with the idea being to wear an amulet to soak those first few hits, and alpha-strike literally everything in a single whack. They're a bit of a trap on necromancers (skeleton HP scales based on them too) and warrior (who wants as much HP and healing as possible) though. Deserts + rivers making oasises is okay for Warrior, I guess, since it slows the enemies down more than it does you, but I don't know if I'd pack deserts just for that.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Philthy posted:

Best tip that someone gave me because I'm slow n bad at this is unlock 3-4 watchtowers in camp, and upgrade them when possible. This makes the 1-2 squares before and after your camp re-enforced by 3-4 archers who easy mode anything you place next to your camp. At which point you want to place a village tile before and after with a vampire estate so you end up with 5+ mobs every pass which will easily die to your archers and you'll get loaded up on loot and resources. Just do that to farm a bit and eventually unlock all the important poo poo, then you can kinda sit back.

Granted, rng will still screw you sometimes, but it IS quicker.

It's a bit of a double-edged sword, especially with Necromancer. It makes the early game infinitely easier, but they aren't that strong and by the time your runs reach the double digits they're gonna be bouncing off of monster defense. (Necromancer, by comparison, can summon a unit at >4 Max Skels and high Summon Quality that just does raw magical damage, but can't summon it if you're in crossbowman range because the archer row is filled with crossbowers)

Party Boat posted:

Also upgrade the blacksmith to get the smith's forge card and place it so you run over an affected tile immediately before the campfire. It means you take the maximum damage reduction shield into the boss fight.

This also works if you place it so that it's overlapping the campfire, and in addition, if it's only overlapping the campfire, it can't spawn living armors.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Salastine posted:

I have just beaten Chapter 4 as Warrior for the first time, so I thought I may share my setup in the case it may help someone else who wants it:

Hopefully this big ol' post can help someone else who's either been struggling or just by throwing ideas out there (though I bet if I ran this setup again I'd lose).

:toot: Worked like a charm on the second attempt (first attempt brick walled at the priestess due to lacking aspd/vamp), when I hadn't messed with warrior at all past Chapter 1 and couldn't figure out how to get them to work.

Moderation is the name of the game; it's a balancing act to make sure you have enough HP, Magic Damage and Attack Speed, but if you go too heavy on any of them, you absolutely fall apart by the end. Couldn't tell you what the magic number is, but 240% Attack Speed is way more than a Vampirism Warrior needs to survive. Probably would be fine with 200% or even 175%. In particular the higher attack speed causes a lot of problems with Flesh Golems as they try to get their last hit in.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Mar 18, 2021

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

WarpedLichen posted:

Is there a reason people build Rivers to the edge?

Seems like an inefficient play unless you're not getting enough thickets.

River effects stack (additively).

To use your example builds, this is how much of a multiplier each tile gets from rivers:

2 2 2
R R R
R 6 4
R R R
2 2 2

So, assuming those are all thickets, that 3x5 layout gives (4+4+4+12+8+4+4+4) or +44% Attack Speed.

1 2 2
2 R R
2 R 6
2 R R
1 2 2

In this example, you get (2+4+4+4+4+12+4+2+4+4) or +40% Attack Speed. Four less attack speed for one more Thicket cost. also +44% attack speed.

(It's worth noting, however, that this effect only applies to vanilla River tiles and not Reeds/Bridge/Oasis tiles, so while getting one as a corner tile won't hurt too much, you want to be careful about using too many of them.)

EDIT: I missed one 2x tile; in this specific example they have parity (+44% for both, for a cost of 7 Rivers/8 Thickets in example one and 5 Rivers/10 Thickets in example 2), but it's generally more important to stack 2-river and 3-river tiles than have as many tiles affected by river bonuses as possible, as those bonuses snowball in extreme circumstances, and the first example is a little more 'even' on resource use.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Mar 18, 2021

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Gerdalti posted:

Test your layouts here (with the absolute max found so far already showing with this link).
https://loopherolayout.xyz/?c=111221211211211211211211211211211212212121121112111211211122

There really needs to be a generator like this where you can work with a full map/tiles so you can figure out how to dance around the path and potentially boost things like suburbs/burned forests/mountains. I never once considered diagonals, somehow.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Yeah, Warrior and Rogue don't mind Storm Temples, because they give them something productive to do with all those otherwise-clutter forests that come with Thickets. (Necromancer has no use for them since they don't affect the summons whatsoever, meaning it's only really noteworthy for goofy mirror builds)

Magic Damage may not scale as nicely as actual damage, but a little goes a long-way in the run-up to bosses, especially for Warrior who enjoys the tankier monsters like Flesh Golems and Skeletons for their sweet, sweet loot drops.

Generally with Warrior I'll forgo Suburbs, since really there's only two traits strong enough to warrant prioritizing and getting more HP (plus harpies and their drops) is generally more important than rushing a super-early Strong Aftertaste. It works just as fine halfway through a run as right at the beginning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Count Uvula posted:

Also as a rogue your bread and butter is anything that spawns lots of enemies -- unlike the knight/necromancer, rogue item quality is based purely on quantity of items you receive instead of how strong the enemies you get items from are.

The balance here is tricky if you're new to handling the class differences, of course; the biggest things are that spider warrens are a Rogue's best friend, and both swamps and vampires will make life borderline unbearable. The latter can be dealt with in small quantities but make things hard in later loops, but I'd lean more on spiders and groves for monster spawning. A built enough rogue also enjoys having goblins around, so you can prioritize nuking those camps a little lower. (nobody likes having Bandits around after act 1, though, no matter how fast they spawn)

Rogues get pretty much NOTHING from battlefield chests, they're just treated as any other monster, so definitely don't pack those in a rogue run because they can lead to dangerous things if you aren't careful. On the flipside, they have literally nothing to lose from outposts since those only affect gear drops, and you don't get your gear from battle as that class.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Dec 24, 2021