Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
re: using swamps to negate vampire healing: be very careful doing this on chapters 2+, as enemies gain an additional skill and the skill mosquitoes gain is "explodes if allowed to attack 8 times" and vampires gain "summons bats below 50% health", so suddenly this strategy goes from cool to "any fight in a vampire swamp will murder you with exploding mosquitoes which cause swarms of bats to appear" unless you're strong enough to kill all the mosquitoes in the first 8 turns or use lots of road lamps to reduce the number of mosquitoes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Ark
May 16, 2010

SpiritOfLenin posted:

Anybody know what's the point of the maze of memories?

Is it just a challenge thing or does something interact with it.

i'm currently messing with it and my best guess is using it to instantly complete multiple treasuries and/or achievements for filling the map

President Ark
May 16, 2010

oh also the game has variant dialogue for refighting bosses, perk unlocks for rekilling bosses, and lore unlocks for the tokens you get from overfilling your hand, so i think they expect you to replay earlier chapters a bit

President Ark
May 16, 2010

also it behooves you to check the encyclopedia because some things are more common drops from particular enemy types or encounter setups (i.e. encounters with 4+ enemies, which basically requires you to set up some enemy farms in vampire country; or encounters with swarms, which requires you to do Shenanigans™ to create overgrown farmland from regular farmland by either placing it next to a fake forest village or destroy the village the farmland was placed by)

President Ark
May 16, 2010

K8.0 posted:

Wait, you're doing rogue? How are you even surviving long enough to place tiles as rogue in A2? By loop 3 if you don't have god-tier weapon drops you aren't going to kill anything before it punches through your necklace and then you're doomed. Is there something I'm missing that dramatically ups the quality of item drops or something?

you should post a screenshot of what your average layout looks like by the time you get overwhelmed because you're clearly doing something wrong

President Ark
May 16, 2010

K8.0 posted:

I don't think how you place stuff matters in any significant way, as long as you're not doing obviously stupid things like letting worms spit on meaningful fights.

This is a run that will 95% wipe on loop 5, and if it doesn't loop 6 is certain death.

I could have placed one of the double spider nests on the left, but either way whether you go for more grouped or split fights is just gambling on what items and perks you get with no way to control it.

yeah your problem is you've clumped up all your spawners in one spot so you won't get day-to-day healing from meadows between fights, plus one of your spider spawners (the one on the outside of the east edge) isn't doing anything. also you're using battlefield as rogue without stacking them to spawn blood clots - in case you haven't noticed, rogues get very little from chests, you'll only get resource shards and no loot.

(the flip side of this is that rogues get a lot of benefit from outposts - losing orange/yellow drops doesn't matter because rogues don't get those from fights anyway)

President Ark fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Mar 5, 2021

President Ark
May 16, 2010

there's a lot of poo poo like that i'm noticing. necromancer has no downside from the ancestral tomb gold card (which makes you lose the hp bonus from armor) because they don't wear anything in the armor slot anyway and zero minus zero is still zero

President Ark
May 16, 2010

i mean, here's my first run after dinner where i just loaded up rogue and i'd say i'm probably in a better spot than you are now, on the start of loop 3/end of loop 2:

i've stacked some spider spawners next to chrono crystals that, despite being next to each other, are depositing on opposite sides of the track, i've got enough time between fights to recover between them, and i've also got my first treasury open so it's not like i'm slacking there. the majority of my runs are like this.

but nah i guess the multiple people telling you are wrong are just delusional and you're the only person who really understands this game!

President Ark
May 16, 2010

K8.0 posted:

I'm sure it is much easier when you've ground materials to the moon like you have. A corrupted village on loop 3 is RNG pass/fail if you haven't, probably 50-80% chance of death without the grinding.

dude if you hate the game just refund it and move on

misguided rage posted:

"Strategy in this game doesn't matter!!" I cry, as I also refuse to attempt any.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

i'm using the arsenal which you also had for gold cards; you can only use one gold card at a time

President Ark
May 16, 2010

K8.0 posted:

That's playing exactly into my point, that the grind and RNG matter far more than minor placement changes.

and multiple people are saying you're wrong and offering suggestions and you're rejecting them all. this tells me you just don't like the game. that's cool, just move on and play something else.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I know you unlock different classes but I was wondering if you ever get more party members, or if it it is always just the one.

the third class is a summoner that generally doesn't have persistent companions except with one perk, but it's the most party-ish class.

of the other two, there's one building that can add helpers to adjacent tiles and the rogue has a perk that gives him a dog helper that shows up 75% of the time

President Ark
May 16, 2010

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

However, once you get later on, things like cocoons will have spawned the max number of spiders by the time you come back around regardless of the boost or not, so it's a wash on those.

if the cocoon is by a bend in the road so it's adjacent to multiple tiles, the spiders will divide themselves among them so each cocoon has more spider capacity :eng101:

President Ark
May 16, 2010

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i'm having no luck getting any of whatever the last resource type is. i fought some vampire mages but all they dropped was the memory tome pieces. do i need to farm in chapter 3 or something for them to drop?

it's an uncommon drop so good luck

the boss of 3 also drops a couple of them

re: necromancer - since attack speed increases the rate at which you summon skeletons (since your attack if you have any summon slots open is "summon a skeleton"), you want +attack speed modifiers, especially if you're going for a +max skeletons build so you can get the archer skeletons up

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Vasler posted:

What does a maze of memories do? The description in game says it does nothing. That can't be right..why does this golden card exist??

Edit: wrong card name.

the card plonks down a bunch of extra tiles when you play it, so you can use it to (A) surround multiple treasuries instantly, or (B) summon the boss instantly

President Ark
May 16, 2010

i wish you could hide the UI and monster sprites, this game's art is making me nostalgic for the GBA fire emblems with how the terrain on completed maps looks

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Sheep posted:

Rocks next to rivers increase hp output; mountains do not.

this is because mountains don't actually give hp by themselves, they just give hp if there's other mountains or rocks next to them (i.e. a rock will be "+3hp, +3hp for each adjacent rock/mountain" when a mountain will only be "+6 hp for each adjacent rock/mountain"). so a single mountain by a river gives nothing but i think if you have several it'll work right

President Ark
May 16, 2010

for people struggling to get astral orbs: another way to get them is the temporal beacon, which i think you unlock by going enough loops on a single map (12-15?). they add watchers to fights which are enemies that are kind of annoying to kill because they run away after a few turns, but if you stack attack speed and magic damage (protip: lightning temples turn forests into burnt forests which boost +mdmg) you can kill them somewhat reliably and they drop the things that turn into astral orbs.

they're a pain to kill but all the other options involve running down a bunch of bookeries which takes forever, farming bosses, or getting them from oblivioning spawners at the correct second which can be annoying to set up

as a bonus to doing this, if you also run bookeries, collapsed bookeries turn watchers into mage watchers who don't run away, so by the time the vampire strategy would be paying off you can have already gotten several time shards and you'll start getting them at the same rate anyway

President Ark fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Mar 8, 2021

President Ark
May 16, 2010

WarpedLichen posted:

I tried that a few times with Rogue on Act 4 and I got like 2 shards out of Watchers before my Bookery got used up.

i did it on act 3 and got 5 before that point V:v:V

President Ark
May 16, 2010

i think i'm also seeing temporal beacons and spider eggs which let you get a lot of drops - a lot of lovely drops, but law of averages say some will be good

i'm experimenting with a warrior build where you focus on evasion and counter highly, take somersault, and then stack as much +mdmg as possible from burnt forests. it killed the chapter 3 boss handily but suffered against road fights. i think there might be something here but i'm not sure the game numbers fully support it.

President Ark fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Mar 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Ark
May 16, 2010

KonvexKonkav posted:

What's the difference between +x% evasion and +x% evasion bonus on gear?

rogue gets a bonus for stat bonuses on their gear, which is specifically anything that isn't the primary stat - i.e. damage on weapons, health on armor, or the top evasion on boots. the more pieces of gear you have with a particular stat bonus the more of that stat you get. so if you have a weapon with +evasion bonus, wearing boots that just have the baseline evasion won't trigger the extra evasion, but boots that also have +evasion bonus will.

in other words, if you have two pairs of boots, one that just has +10% evasion, the other which has +5% evasion and +5% bonus evasion, they'll both give the exact same amount of evasion if you're naked, but if you have evasion on any of your other gear then the second pair will give slightly more.

President Ark fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Mar 9, 2021