Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
An automatic roguelike that puts you in charge of placing the world around your hero to challenge them or guide their way towards their goal. Make the path harder to find better loot or find the best places for card buffs to ease your loop.

:siren: There is a Demo that you can try up through first boss, out now! Try it! :siren:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1282730/Loop_Hero/

Taken from the steam page:

Infinite Adventure: Select from unlockable character classes and deck cards before setting out on each expedition along a randomly generated loop path. No expedition is ever the same as the ones before it.

Plan Your Struggle: Strategically place building, terrain, and enemy cards along each loop to create your own dangerous path. Find balance between the cards to increase your chances of survival while recovering valuable loot and resources for your camp.

Loot and Upgrade:
Strike down menacing creatures, recover stronger loot to equip on the fly and unlock new perks along the way.

Expand Your Camp: Turn hard-earned resources into campsite upgrades and gain valuable reinforcements with each completed loop along the expedition path.

Loop Hero Demo Guide/Reference:
Not only do the cards you use effect the world and your chosen hero, some of them combo with each other making greater effects. For example, the meadow card Restores 2 HP on every new day...if you place it next to at least one non-meadow tile, it blooms and restores 3 HP per day. This can also combo with Chrono crystals cards making the healing 6 per day

So far, these are the combos and cards in the demo:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kb3OgPCbUZthzjO3GkZ7O4YHL-UyQ9mtuBL22nv-0fg/edit#gid=1922490772

:siren: There is a Demo that you can try up through first boss, out now! Try it! :siren:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1282730/Loop_Hero/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Ciaphas posted:

Played through the demo and got thru ch1 this morning; oh dear, this is going to doom my productivity when it comes out :arghfist::(

Yeah it has that real strong "one more loop."

Which also has the same pull when you need 1 more item to upgrade your camp and want to risk another loop to try and get it.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

scuz posted:

Only 4.5 hours into the demo and absolutely loving it. Managed to just barely take down the lich on the first attempt by stacking evasion and keeping my fingers crossed. Tryina get all my buds to play it and the best way that I've been able to describe it is "reverse tower defense roguelike deck-building" and that seems to be getting the point across.

Yeah. Evasion is fantastic. Got mine up to 62% and it felt like I could have gone on forever.

There is no good way to describe the game, yours is pretty solid.

Desdinova posted:

Not killed the Lich yet, but a tip is to save oblivions for nuking his palaces when he spawns, and build near the campfire to ensure he doesn't build too many. Game's good.

Yeah, this is a good early tip. I've been throwing crystals and blood groves. Makes a huge difference.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Out now

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
My biggest rogue tip so far: Arsenal + Deserts. Magic HP is amazing on the rogue and the deserts wont hurt you as much as they do the mobs.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

K8.0 posted:

Did you grind the hell out of the demo? Without massive grinding or EXTREME luck on item drops, you're not making it past maybe loop 5.

I've not really grinded very hard nor played the demo much. I think it's just farming the later acts you get a ton of stuff even on short runs. Find something you can roll, run it a bit, and get out while you can, don't push it. There are also better builds for farming vs boss pushing. I do wish the cards showed what you can get from them with supplies.

There are some things that are expensive, but most roguelites are. I may also just be extremely lucky, it is an RNG game at some point.

I love watchtowers and have been building my entire farming runs round them.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

nerox posted:

The grind is bad for me cause I am collecting resources 30% of the drops at a time. :colbert: Oh god, why am I so bad at this game

I'm in this post.

"One more loop then I'll bail so I can collect this stuff."

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

K8.0 posted:

They really don't. You don't get any meaningful amount of resources until you're deep in loops with a lot of tiles laid down, which is impossible past A1 without either massive grinding or massive luck. I played the demo for 5-6 hours, I've put 11 hours into the main game, and in all that time I've only seen 1 set of gear that could maybe have pushed past loop 6 on A2.

I seriously wonder what people who consider A2+ playable are doing.

I never really farmed A2 and have been doing A3 for my "grinding." I just make sure I have my tiles balanced so they don't all gently caress me over and never try and stack things that get crazy. I'm not taking Ruins or Graveyards very often in with me, because those will get you got real quick on the rogue. I also make sure to save up oblivions for any goblin camps, ?Village, or Bandit camps those also can end a solid run if you are not careful.

It's really about not overextending yourself. I basically set up 2 large camps of healing and battles on either side of the loop and just work my way between them.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

K8.0 posted:

I don't think how you place stuff matters in any significant way, as long as you're not doing obviously stupid things like letting worms spit on meaningful fights.

The entire game is "how you place stuff matters". Setting things poorly is just setting yourself up to fail. Taking too many fights back to back, or not comboing things together to give you an advantage. That corner there to the right is a murder house. Double Spiders, and vamps that leads right into a grove with no healing in there. Then if you survive that, you have the entire loop of no healing till you get back. Meadows are pretty poor unless they are bloomed AND under a crystal. That +22 hp a day is nothing when you have 800hp, 22 is less than a single hit from a spider. Even if you wanted to meadow as your main healing, you need to spread your fights out so it has time to work. By piling the fights you MAYBE get a heal or 2 times in that cluster, if you spread your fights, the meadow heals can at least do some work.

Your screenshot stats are really spread thin also. Focus on 1 or 2 stats and pump them. That's mostly RNG if you can, but having 40% evasion is better than 10 vamp, 10 evasion, 10 counter, 10 attack speed.

space uncle posted:

We People are recommending all these cool cards but I still only have Swamp and Blood Grove. Just got Ruins which seems ok as long as you’re not an idiot and build it next to stuff (which I did).

I didn't read the card when I first got it and put 3 of them in a row

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

K8.0 posted:

It really, really isn't. It's "what RNG you get matters." As you state yourself here :

Just make choices that you don't get!

If I spread stuff out, I'd still have no healing - in fact there is no way to get healing other than good RNG. I just wouldn't be able to take advantage of AOE stats and perks if I happened to get them. You're imagining that this game has a lot more you can do than it actually does.

Villages are fantastic at keeping you going, just ease off on creating murder placements before you get some. Also items are going to be a trade off to get what you want, maybe you want evasion but everything is counter, go with what the RNG is giving you and don't force it, just dont spread yourself too thin. By loop 5 you should have a solid stat no matter what the RNG is giving you, unless you are the worst luck'd fellow of all time. Might be possible.

Not every run is going to be the one. Sometimes you gotta bail on something if you don't get it set up early. If I don't have my villages buffed by round 3 or 4, I call it a loop and start it over.

You use the RNG it gives you to create the difficulty.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

President Ark posted:

(the flip side of this is that rogues get a lot of benefit from outposts - losing orange/yellow drops doesn't matter because rogues don't get those from fights anyway)

This is a neat thing, each class is a bit different with them:

Warrior - Costs regular items
Rogue - Costs nothing because no items drop anyway
Necro - They hate him and only shoot the battlefield with arrows

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Not every game is going to be for everyone. If you dont like it and think it's unfair, that's 100% fine, move on and live your life. You don't need to spend time telling us about the fun we are not having. Go find something you do like doing instead of smashing your head into this game. Find something cool and enjoy your time.

President Ark posted:

but nah i guess the multiple people telling you are wrong are just delusional and you're the only person who really understands this game!

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Anyone got any necro tips yet? I just pump skeleton quality and level. Hell, I'm not even sure what those things do but it seems to be working out ok?

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Theswarms posted:

I recommend going into the settings menu and switching "automatically pause at the end of the loop" on if you are like me and keep missing the opportunity to retreat with 100% of your loot when a run is going bad.

At anytime, if you hold down the run button in the bottom left, gears will pop up and it will auto stop you next time you pass the camp and give you the option to retreat.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Einwand posted:

What, do you not want to use the card that does nothing but summon the boss faster instead of a free revive+max hp or an extra equipment slot?

Sometimes the boss needs to hurry their rear end up!

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Baller Time posted:

Gee, thanks, quest givers.

RIP

?villages are instant Oblivions on my rogue runs. Everything countered is the worst on rogue.

dyzzy posted:

Not sure how to make rogue take off consistently without the arsenal, honestly. It's mandatory any time I use the class

Agree. If you can somehow get your evasion to some crazy number quickly, it might not be all bad, but that's a big if. Crit chance seems more important.

IcePhoenix posted:

how in the sam hell do I unlock suburbs

Upgrade the Gym

Meatbag Esq. posted:

Stamina. When you have high attack speed you run out of stamina and attack much slower until it refills.

Stamina also goes down on evades

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

IcePhoenix posted:

followup question

how do I get that black orb thing? I think I need those to build the Alch hut as well but I have never seen one

For anything if you click the encyclopedia button, it will list all the items and what they drop from. Kush Limbaugh has your answer in their post.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Yeah, never feel bad for bailing on a run that isn't giving you the goods. Better to get out with some stuff then die and return with some sticks and pebbles.

You are into Act 2, so you're probably doing great.

When I felt like I was struggling, I really pushed upgrading and adding all the watchtowers. Worst case you set everything in the 2 tiles around your camp, let the watchtowers work for you, and get better upgrades slowly that way.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

SettingSun posted:

Are Storm Temples a trap? As a test I stacked two together against the chapter 1 boss and they fried me for like 260hp a hit. It was incredible.

This is great. I love the moments of "oh poo poo I should not have done this" that happen.

I had a row of 3 battlefields I just dropped for chest farming. As I was making my river path, I didn't really think about it and just lay them down....and created a Siren gauntlet for myself.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Okay yeah wow turns out if you pull enough spawners on the first lap you just totally cruise to a win. Still a lot of luck involved with the traits and tiles you get but you can usually tell in the first two laps so it's a quick restart to get a good run going, once you beat Lich the game's over

Did you drop your arsenal right out of the gate or give it a loop? Feels like if I don't get Skelly quality up and get a large boy spawning for the lich, he just straight targets me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Well it wasn't in 4 loops like others, but I capped it off.

If I had not placed a Blood Grove there, I would have lost it.

Act 4 Boss spoiler Picture with my 58 HP: