Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

I kind of needed something lighter to rinse my brain after reading a ton of serious stuff, and this really hits the spot. I am something like 5-6 stories in and this book really does all kinds of things, from creepy to gory, from comedy to social commentary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

HA asked me to post Brockaway’s Patreon in case you want to get the book on Kindle for $4 and still feel the need to throw a little extra to the author, so here it is: https://www.patreon.com/brockwar

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

I really appreciate the fact Brockaway just wrote an American novel instead of inserting unnecessary Emmerich-style scenes of the Eiffel Tower on fire or whatever to make the story feel global.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

I have a few ideas. Hard to be a God by the Strugatsky brothers is a cool twist on the fantasy genre, with undercover astronauts from Earth living on a planet with a medieval level of culture and technology. It’s also very bleak, and should be widely available.

Or we could try reading RA Lafferty’s Fourth Mansions:

quote:

The Wesleyan Anthology of Science Fiction described Fourth Mansions as "a cartoonishly oneiric conflict between cosmic good and evil that draws on the mystic visions of Saint Theresa of Avila".