Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Shooting Blanks posted:

Motherfuck Abbott.

Word.

I was holding off on my vaccine too, because I qualify on BMI (working on it but progress is slow) and felt undeserving. gently caress that. I have a kid to think about. I am now on all the waitlists, with many thanks to my wife who had both the stubbornness and the experience of getting her mom set up in the system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Capn Beeb posted:

How do you even find out if the shots are available in your area? I haven't seen or heard of anything here.

vaccinefinder.org searches clinics, pharmacies, etc based on zip code and it's only doing it for COVID currently. It also has partnerships with a lot of providers so you can see who has it in stock if you're online and checking when the data gets refreshed (I've been told that CVS, as an example, usually refreshes between 4am and 5am CST).

Of course, it's also worth signing up for the wait lists that are probably maintained by your county, city, possibly local hospitals, etc. The general advice is to sign up everywhere and take the first one you're offered; vaccines shouldn't go to waste unless you set an appointment and don't show up.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

It pisses me off that "At Risk" people in my age group are getting vaccinated behind people like "Health Insurance Company Office Workers."

Of course, the people pushing papers for our asininely corrupt for profit healthcare system are a higher priority than people who might die.

Slight change of subject that is a little grim -

Since October of 2015, I've had my immediate family on my father's side shrink down to him and me. Back then, he had two brothers and his father. Now? They are all gone.

Mentally, I'm in a good place. While we didn't expect the most recent uncle to pass at sixty-two, he wasn't in the best of health. So this is going to be my friendly reminder to the forums to keep your affairs in order.

This is now the third time in five years I've done this song and dance. I cannot loving tell you how much work goes into sorting out the estate of people without kids. (He wasn't rich and rented an apartment, estate is just the best word for it). loving every day is spent trying to keep my father sane while coordinating between two lawyers, a funeral home, distant relatives in England, his multitudes of friends, and all the other grunt work. The frustrating thing? He had access, without any cash out of his pocket, to an estate lawyer. But he ignored that, so now it all falls between my father and I.

When you die, it should be a time for your family and friends to mourn. It should not be when they lose their hair trying to coordinate the banal final pages of your now finished book.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Slightly Related but Less Depressing Subject!!!

I summon you, o' TFR Car Hive Mind!

Because of those aforementioned reasons, my father and I now own a 2014 Hyundai GL. It's probably and Elantra? I don't know yet.

The Good? It has literally all the options. All of them. It also is likely to have less than 10k miles on it.

The Bad? My uncle somehow got into a wreck that tore the steel back from both the right passenger and rear door. Literally tore it. He wouldn't go on the interstate, so our best guess is he plowed into something in a parking lot. I'll have pictures soon.

The Question - This undoubtedly needs body work. I'm guess both door panels would need replacing. But, it might be pretty untouched otherwise.

Is it worth -

- Getting the body fixed
- Getting it shipped to Portland and titled to replace my 00 Volvo S40 (130k miles) that will need a belt job in the next year

Or

- Sell it and keep my adorable Volvo

I am not a car person in the slightest. I just want to do the smartest thing possible by keeping the cars that will give us the longest lifespans.

Edit : Found Pictures. How did this happen going less than thirty?!

Captain Log fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Mar 3, 2021

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I just had an epiphany: the internet is useless!

Ultra Carp

Captain Log posted:

Thread Question!

As most of you know, I run the "Grandpa Emails" thread where we laugh at the Gun Industry spam email we all get on a daily basis. Here it is -

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3945740

I also get pistol and concealed carry gun magazines. These are loving loaded with loving level poo poo of all sorts. I've thought about doing a thread about gun magazines and/or gun advertisements. The main goal is humor, but as I've seen with the Grandpa Emails the past few months tinged them all with politics.

Would you fine folks like a separate thread for Gun Mag/Gun Advertisement bullshit? Or would it be better served rolled into the Grandpa Thread?

They're called gun clips, but keep hanging around here, you'll pick up the lingo

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Captain Log posted:

Slightly Related but Less Depressing Subject!!!

I summon you, o' TFR Car Hive Mind!

Because of those aforementioned reasons, my father and I now own a 2014 Hyundai GL. It's probably and Elantra? I don't know yet.

The Good? It has literally all the options. All of them. It also is likely to have less than 10k miles on it.

The Bad? My uncle somehow got into a wreck that tore the steel back from both the right passenger and rear door. Literally tore it. He wouldn't go on the interstate, so our best guess is he plowed into something in a parking lot. I'll have pictures soon.

The Question - This undoubtedly needs body work. I'm guess both door panels would need replacing. But, it might be pretty untouched otherwise.

Is it worth -

- Getting the body fixed
- Getting it shipped to Portland and titled to replace my 00 Volvo S40 (130k miles) that will need a belt job in the next year

Or

- Sell it and keep my adorable Volvo

I am not a car person in the slightest. I just want to do the smartest thing possible by keeping the cars that will give us the longest lifespans.

Edit : Found Pictures. How did this happen going less than thirty?!

If the surrounding frames aren't damaged just buy doors from a junkyard and put them on instead. Swap in the parts from the current doors, assuming they work.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Vim Fuego posted:

If the surrounding frames aren't damaged just buy doors from a junkyard and put them on instead. Swap in the parts from the current doors, assuming they work.

Thanks to my legs, car work is done by someone I pay to do it. I'm just trying to measure if a no mileage '14 Hyundai that needs at least a couple grand + shipping, beats a low mileage '00 Volvo that needs $1000 put into it in the next year.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

I'd say get someone to look at it where it is and verify the unibody around the doors are undamaged. If that's the case, then yeah, a 2014 hyundai that your uncle took care of other than ramming into stuff is probably going to last way longer than a 2000 volvo.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

The Hyundai is almost certainly the better option for longevity between those two, if the mileage estimate is good and your uncle took care of it. As for the damage, the driver 100% hit something stationary/immovable and 30mph or even less is completely believable. If I had to guess I'd say it may have been a fire hydrant, but that's purely based on the height of the damage.

That said, given the cost to move the car, it's probably worth the $100 to have a local mechanic do a buyer's inspection on it to confirm everything looks good. Hell, may even be worth seeing if a local body shop can get the door skins replaced for not too much $, it may be less expensive there than in OR.

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Enter the woods, find a friend!

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Related to COVID: I've been reading this book called Pale Rider: The Spanish Flu of 1918 and How It Changed The World. I've been reading it at home, and often on my breaks at work, where half the customers don't wear masks and the other half wears them wrong.

This is bad for my anxiety, I am sure, but good for my brain.

It's fascinating how many parallels there are to COVID, from the masks, to the debate as to whether or not to open up schools, the ( attempted ) development of vaccines, etc. It's a fascinating insight into not just pandemics, but the history of the time and how certain things happened, how it went in different cities and cultures, etc. The account of the epidemic in both Odessa and rural China ( Shanxi province ) was particularly interesting to me, but I digress.

The aspect I found most interesting of all was the zoonotic aspect of the virus, which is another link to COVID. There's no telling what else might be out there, just waiting for an opportunity. The Spanish Flu is thought to have originated in waterfowl. Ducks. Humanity was laid low by ducks. They're still trying to determine if it went straight from ducks to humans or if it went from ducks to pigs to humans, or some other origin entirely, but that's pretty drat neat to me.

Of particular note were the theories around why the flu did what it did. One is that the trench warfare of Europe selected against milder strains, especially as the still-able hosts would run out and die. With all those men packed together, and none of them in good shape, it offered the virus an ideal playground to evolve. Another theory is that the mutagenic properties of mustard gas might have done One Weird Trick with the virus.

Sparing the gruesome details, it's super cool and a little scary how we've managed to find samples of the virus from various sources and use modern technology to recreate it for study. The Spanish Flu lives on. In fact, we've got some under lock and key for study right here in the USA.

My favorite little tidbit so far is how while doing flu research in 1931, a British scientist was infected with influenza when a ferret sneezed in his face.

Crossposting from the previous chat thread, but yeah it's pretty cool how many parallels we can draw from then to now. And by cool I mean horrifying.

I wonder if they also had to deal with a government that refused to enact any genuinely effective measure to stymie the spread of the pathogen. I know Philadelphia declared Great Victory Over Germs and threw a parade in 1918 despite pretty much everyone telling them that this was an incredibly dumb thing to do, and that went about as well it sounds, but I'm still curious.

Ah, I see.

Here is a palate cleanser

https://twitter.com/contextkittens/status/1366464708841193477

Capn Beeb fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Mar 3, 2021

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Vim Fuego posted:

I'd say get someone to look at it where it is and verify the unibody around the doors are undamaged. If that's the case, then yeah, a 2014 hyundai that your uncle took care of other than ramming into stuff is probably going to last way longer than a 2000 volvo.

Shooting Blanks posted:

The Hyundai is almost certainly the better option for longevity between those two, if the mileage estimate is good and your uncle took care of it. As for the damage, the driver 100% hit something stationary/immovable and 30mph or even less is completely believable. If I had to guess I'd say it may have been a fire hydrant, but that's purely based on the height of the damage.

That said, given the cost to move the car, it's probably worth the $100 to have a local mechanic do a buyer's inspection on it to confirm everything looks good. Hell, may even be worth seeing if a local body shop can get the door skins replaced for not too much $, it may be less expensive there than in OR.

Ahh, sounds like I’m hearing what I was thinking. That damage on the doors looked a lot more turbo hosed then I thought. If it’s suddenly going to be grands on grands on grands plus shipping, I’ll reassess. But if that’s pretty painless, might be worth holding onto.

My Pops will be back in Nashville before long. I’ll be able to get him to have it looked over and make sure there isn’t some catastrophic hidden issue

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

Capn Beeb posted:

How do you even find out if the shots are available in your area? I haven't seen or heard of anything here.

All I know is the vaccine production pipeline has put a huge dent in other injectable prescription production, so that's fun and good and not at all frustrating

America

Actually, I know this and can help you.

Prior to a few weeks ago, VA had a system in which you'd have to go to each individual county's website for a given region and register to get the vaccine. The state realized that this was 'bad' and also 'dumb', closed that registry, and opened a state-wide registry.

vaccinate.virginia.gov

Go there, register. They'll email you when your number's up, hopefully before your number's up. My dad, 65+, got his first shot a few weeks ago. He gets his second soon. I'm still waiting for my first, as a grocery worker, which shows you just how loving essential I am.

I'm willing to bet some other states have a similar system. Check your state's health websites, or just google '<state> pre-registration COVID vaccine' or some poo poo and see if it pops.

Capn Beeb posted:

Crossposting from the previous chat thread, but yeah it's pretty cool how many parallels we can draw from then to now. And by cool I mean horrifying.

I wonder if they also had to deal with a government that refused to enact any genuinely effective measure to stymie the spread of the pathogen. I know Philadelphia declared Great Victory Over Germs and threw a parade in 1918 despite pretty much everyone telling them that this was an incredibly dumb thing to do, and that went about as well it sounds, but I'm still curious.

The tl;dr is that it depends, but the consensus in many areas ( of the west ) can be summed up by this snippet from The Guardian:

The loving Guardian ( which sucks and probably is now writing TERF poo poo as every British newspaper does ) posted:

The masses were hard enough to ‘steer’ anyway–a widespread attitude that was summed up by the British newspaper the Guardian a few years later: ‘But of what use is it to advise a modern urban population to avoid travelling on trains or trams, to ask the rising generation to abandon the pictures, or to warn the unemployed to take plenty of nourishing food and avoid worry?’

This attitude is still somewhat prevalent in other forms of disaster relief to this day, even though it has been borne out that this is bullshit and people are smarter and more willing to help one another than the government gives them credit for. Robert ( BehindTheBastards ) actually did a short series on this not that long ago which was pretty interesting, but I digress.

Here's some more from my notes and highlighted passages:

Pale Rider posted:

Quarantine and other disease-containment strategies place the interests of the collective over those of the individual. When the collective is very large, as we’ve said, those strategies have to be imposed in a top-down fashion. But mandating mandating a central authority to act in the interests of the collective potentially creates two kinds of problems. First, the collective may have competing priorities–the need to make money, say, or the need to raise an army–and deny or water down the authority’s powers of enforcement. And second, the rights of individuals risk getting trampled on, especially if the authority abuses the measures placed at its disposal.

The competing interests of the collective are the reason that historian Alfred Crosby, who told the story of the flu in America, argued that democracy was unhelpful in a pandemic. The demands of national security, a thriving economy and public health are rarely aligned, and elected representatives defending the first two undermine the third, simply by doing their job. In France, for example, powerful bodies including the Ministry of the Interior and the Academy of Medicine ordered the closure of theatres, cinemas, churches and markets, but this rarely happened. because prefects in the French departments didn’t enforce the measures ‘for fear of annoying the public’.

But a concentration of power at the top didn’t guarantee effective containment either. In Japan, which was undergoing a transition from rule by a small group of oligarchs to a nascent democracy at the time, the authorities did not even consider closing public meeting places. A police officer in Tokyo observed that the authorities in Korea–then a Japanese colony–had banned all mass gatherings, even for worship. ‘But we can’t do this in Japan,’ he sighed, without giving a reason.

Guess how it went in India? Hint: about as well as the British are managing COVID now.

quote:

Individuals also had cause to be wary in 1918. Throughout the last decades of the nineteenth century–that is, in very recent memory–public health campaigns had targeted marginalised groups, as eugenics and germ theory came together in a toxic mix. India is a case in point. The British colonial authorities had long taken a laissez-faire attitude to indigenous health in that country, believing it to be incorrigibly unhygienic, but when bubonic plague broke out in 1896, they realised the threat that deadly disease posed to their interests and went to the other extreme, imposing a brutal campaign to rout the infection. In the city of Pune, for example, the sick were isolated in hospitals, from which most never returned, while their relatives were segregated in ‘health camps’. The floors of their houses were dug up, their personal effects were fumigated or burnt, and fire engines pumped such enormous quantities of carbolic acid into the buildings that one bacteriologist reported having to put up an umbrella before entering.

Blinkered by their negative perception of the ‘barefoot poor’, the British authorities refused to believe–at least in the early days of the plague epidemic–that the disease was spread by rat fleas. If they had, they might have realised that a better strategy would have been to inspect imported merchandise rather than people, and to de-rat buildings rather than disinfect them. As for the Indians on the receiving end of these measures, they came to see hospitals as ‘places of torture and places intended to provide material for experiments’. Indeed, in 1897, the head of the Pune Plague Committee, Walter Charles Rand, was murdered by three local brothers, the Chapekars, who were hanged for their crime (today, a monument in the city honours them as freedom fighters). ( Author's note: )

This gives you some idea as to how India handled the plague, both because of the British being British ( read: colonizing assholes ), and the Indians being terrified and pissed off. This would also play out in other British possessions, which was incredibly unfortunate, as indigenous populations were particularly vulnerable to the flu.

It could be better or worse, depending not only on which country you were in, but which city. Some officials were more competent than others. NYC, for example, was a diseased shithole slum- but it was a disease-ridden shithole slum that was in the middle of a war against tuberculosis. They had some idea of what the gently caress they were doing, and the people in charge ( health commissioner Royal S. Copeland among them ) made some good calls. Interestingly enough, Copeland was an eye surgeon and a homeopath. Among other things he did, he realized, as the son of an immigrant himself, that the immigrant community ( Italians in particular ) needed responses tailored to them.

Interestingly to me, there's a fair amount of information on Shanxi province ( it may have been Shansi, I can't find the notes, they're two different provinces I know shut up ) in which the governor/warlord at the time worked very, very hard to drag his region kicking and screaming into the future. Given the HIGHLY traditional nature of the region, it was a hard-fought victory that began with efforts to fight the bubonic plague ( which was wide-spread at the time ) and paid dividends in the end. An American missionary at the time did a fair amount of work to help him with educating people about quarantine and helping him instate laws, which he did. The missionary would later leave after being chased from a village by an angry mob for trying to do an autopsy. Later, a Chinese doctor ( again I DO NOT HAVE THE NOTES but will look later ) would build upon the missionary's work and carefully collect samples, mindful of the fact that his predecessor was almost extremely murdered for doing so.

I'd like to end with this snippet from a Spanish newspaper regarding the government's failure to deal with the flu there ( which BehindTheBastards also covered a bit )

quote:

Of national politicians, the Correo wrote, ‘They have left us without an army, navy, bread or health… but nobody seems to resign or ask for resignation.’ Local politicians, for their part, had long ignored calls to fund an infectious-diseases hospital, and were now ignoring recommendations from the provincial committee to impose stricter hygiene on the city. When a failure at a nearby hydroelectric dam led to a blackout, the Correo remarked with heavy irony that, despite the darkness, the hunger of Zamoranos and the filth in which they lived was plain for all to see. The night was densest inside the town hall, it quipped, which continued to plough money into bullfights but not into hygiene or food for a hungry population.

In conclusion:

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Captain Log I'm gonna go counter a bit here and say that it's not worth it to ship that car across the country. Take the money you'll save on shipping, plus the money you can make selling the car, and put it into your new car/car repair fund. Maybe you even sell the Volvo and buy a new ride with the pool of money if you so desire.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.

tangy yet delightful posted:

Captain Log I'm gonna go counter a bit here and say that it's not worth it to ship that car across the country. Take the money you'll save on shipping, plus the money you can make selling the car, and put it into your new car/car repair fund. Maybe you even sell the Volvo and buy a new ride with the pool of money if you so desire.
This is a good point. Cash is infinitely more portable than a car.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Vaccine chat: I got the Moderna and my arm hurt both times, but that's it. Someone said if the shot doesn't trouble you too much, you may already have been exposed to a form of Covid within the last year. No idea if that's true, but it's certainly possible. I came down with something after having gotten the flu shot in late 2019; it was really bad and lingered for a couple weeks. I probably got it from my work partner, who had a nearly identical illness after she came back from Disney in October 2019.

In car chat: I would drive the hell out of a 2014 Hyundai Elantra (or whatever it is). It's still got three years left on the drivetrain warranty. Living in the rust belt, I'd definitely get those door skins repaired if possible, but if the price of the car was right, I might not. I might just drive it as is until the wheels fell off. It would be a heck of an upgrade from my 2008, which doesn't even have Bluetooth. What is this, Russia?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

My wife is fully vaccinated as of today.

My son and I aren't risky enough to qualify for even a first dose.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Dang dicknose don't tuck that money under your eyelids!

Pillbug

infrared35 posted:

Vaccine chat: I got the Moderna and my arm hurt both times, but that's it. Someone said if the shot doesn't trouble you too much, you may already have been exposed to a form of Covid within the last year. No idea if that's true, but it's certainly possible. I came down with something after having gotten the flu shot in late 2019; it was really bad and lingered for a couple weeks. I probably got it from my work partner, who had a nearly identical illness after she came back from Disney in October 2019.

It’s the reverse, if you’ve been exposed then your reaction is worse since your immune system is already in high gear. But! It may lead to greater immunity, they found 10x the antibodies in people with prior antibodies after each shot, when compared to people with no exposure.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/directorsblog.nih.gov/2021/02/23/is-one-dose-of-covid-19-vaccine-enough-after-covid-19-infection/amp/

I had it bad last spring and even the first shot was crippling, I have the second Pfizer in two weeks and already took the rest of that work week off.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Does anyone know where I can buy some weldable picatinny rail? Ideally with a curved bottom to go on a tube. I've found some picatinny that claims to be steel instead of aluminum, but I think it's meant as a scope base for a specific gun and it's insanely expensive for what it is.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Vim Fuego posted:

Does anyone know where I can buy some weldable picatinny rail? Ideally with a curved bottom to go on a tube. I've found some picatinny that claims to be steel instead of aluminum, but I think it's meant as a scope base for a specific gun and it's insanely expensive for what it is.

If the radius of the curve doesn't matter, I've probably got some random rail sections lying around.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

tangy yet delightful posted:

First off, I really appreciate everyone who weighed in. While I know how to look up a Blue Book value and actual sales, the nuts and bolts of car vs. car isn't my wheelhouse.

Hmmm, that leads me to another question -

If we decide to sell the '14 Hyundai in Nashville, what would be the best way to unload it?

I ask, because my father will be extremely busy when he returns to Nashville and will likely only be there for a week or two. I don't expect him to have the free time to deal with Craigslist tire kickers. I know CarMax will pretty much buy anything, but I doubt they're even giving your 50% value. Especially if it has body damage.

After talking to my Dad, apparently somebody hit my uncle. I'm not sure if I buy it, especially if he never got the insurance to fix the fucker. But everything will probably hinge on door damage vs. body damage.

Also, having a car in hand vs. a hosed up car across the country makes the math hard.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

infrared35 posted:

If the radius of the curve doesn't matter, I've probably got some random rail sections lying around.

It doesn't! please let me know if you find something

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Captain Log posted:

First off, I really appreciate everyone who weighed in. While I know how to look up a Blue Book value and actual sales, the nuts and bolts of car vs. car isn't my wheelhouse.

If we decide to sell the '14 Hyundai in Nashville, what would be the best way to unload it?

Well the best way is private party of course in terms of the final amount of money in your pocket. Unfortunately I don't have any good dealers to recommend specifically, probably best for you to google map and call the dealers that don't look too shady and see who might be interested in the car. Perhaps a Hyundai dealer would be best because they'd figure they could fix the damage easiest and flip for max profit?

If you do end up getting a mechanic to give it a PPI and get some good pictures of the car, and then plan to sell it, I can ask a few friends down that way to see if there is any interest before you sell to a dealer. But as of right now I don't know anyone car shopping (like talking about it/asking for my bad opinions).

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Enter the woods, find a friend!

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Actually, I know this and can help you.

Prior to a few weeks ago, VA had a system in which you'd have to go to each individual county's website for a given region and register to get the vaccine. The state realized that this was 'bad' and also 'dumb', closed that registry, and opened a state-wide registry.

vaccinate.virginia.gov

Go there, register. They'll email you when your number's up, hopefully before your number's up. My dad, 65+, got his first shot a few weeks ago. He gets his second soon. I'm still waiting for my first, as a grocery worker, which shows you just how loving essential I am.

Oh perfect, thanks

Also lol that Guardian article, incredible

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Captain Log posted:

I ask, because my father will be extremely busy when he returns to Nashville and will likely only be there for a week or two. I don't expect him to have the free time to deal with Craigslist tire kickers. I know CarMax will pretty much buy anything, but I doubt they're even giving your 50% value. Especially if it has body damage.

After talking to my Dad, apparently somebody hit my uncle. I'm not sure if I buy it, especially if he never got the insurance to fix the fucker. But everything will probably hinge on door damage vs. body damage.

Also, having a car in hand vs. a hosed up car across the country makes the math hard.

Automotive Insanity also has a dedicated "for sale" thread stickied. You could post it in that and be up front about what you know, and/or try the "stupid questions" thread or the Craigslist thread (although the second one has been busy this morning making fun of a goon who showed up offering $120 for something listed on CL for $125 or something and got mad when the seller wouldn't take it, just ignore that and post).

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I'm getting a little ahead of myself -

If I decide to sell - The main thing I'm looking for is simplicity, which will eat into how much the family makes. I'm in Portland, my Dad will be in Nashville, and we are both going to be extremely busy. (gently caress, we are extremely busy for two guys without lives.) So while a private sale is absolutely the correct answer, it might not fit for our limited timeframe.

Has anyone ever sold a car to CarMax? My family (not me) always bought from them and it was hassle free, as advertised. I don't know their rep as a buyer, though.

God, it would be wonderful if a mechanic sees it and goes, "Eureka! I have one of these being parted out as we speak! I can fix it in a day for the princely sum of Not A Lot of Dollars!"

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Capn Beeb posted:

If it was sincere they'd be pushing for disarming the cops, but they don't.

Instead:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Giving more than a a sixer for this is poo poo.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Vim Fuego posted:

It doesn't! please let me know if you find something

I have a 3.5" low mount rail section... but it's polymer. I also have a 6.25" aluminum rail section, but it's a weird, raised thing. You're welcome to either or both if you want them.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Dip Viscous posted:

Giving more than a a sixer for this is poo poo.

And giving a Winston Churchill quote as the probe reason. That's hosed.

Here's another choice Winston Churchill quote: "The Aryan stock is bound to triumph."

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Managed to sign up for the Pfizer vaccine today. First shot is Monday, second is 3/30.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

We both like to hang out in public bathrooms?!

Kazinsal posted:

Here's another choice Winston Churchill quote: "The Aryan stock is bound to triumph."

Well, the British withdrew and they gained independence in 1947, in a way they did triumph.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Still no word back from the county on when I may be vaccinated. That puts me in a weird place where most of my customers are 50+ year old men with pre-existing conditions who have gotten the vaccine, while I, who am quite a bit younger and travel between multiple customers' work areas in a week have not.

Do I seriously gotta start back on my last job, even part time, to receive an earlier vaccination date? gently caress, I can't even do that with a good conscience. Going back and forth from patient transport to route sales sounds like setting myself up to be a super-spreader in and among some of the most at-risk populations (via age/health condition and essential, public facing jobs, respectively).

Lying to get it done ain't happening either. There's been far too much of that around here and it's been a prime source of ruination.

Am I putting to much importance in what I want, or who I think I am (maybe "how I think of myself" is a better way to put that) versus what I need? I, my, me, mine makes me think I am.

Fries? Please, with cheese. What's that? Yeah, chili. Let's go for it. Thank you!

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

kupachek posted:

Well, the British withdrew and they gained independence in 1947, in a way they did triumph.

That joke is so lame that I'm jealous.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

We both like to hang out in public bathrooms?!

madeintaipei posted:

That joke is so lame that I'm jealous.

I've been proofreading for 17 hours straight, I have nothing but bad jokes left to give.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Kazinsal posted:

Luckily for us, it's not a Churchill quote. It's widely attributed to Churchill, but the phrase had circulated in print for nearly ten years before anyone connected it with him. That's why the words "apocryphally" and "attributed" are in there. I'm going to ask an admin to change the probe reason anyway, because in hindsight a serious disciplinary action needs a serious explanation more than it needs a witty quip.

As for Churchill himself, the record amply shows that he was a racist, imperialist dickbag even if he did lead Britain through WWII and pen a few catchy phrases of his own. Just so we're clear on that.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

This is the kind of nonsense up with which I shall not put.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

As many great and horrible men have all said,

“It’s time for Grandma.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hJv5yBLe9c

Captain Log fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Mar 4, 2021

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Somebody Awful posted:

'm going to ask an admin to change the probe reason anyway, because in hindsight a serious disciplinary action needs a serious explanation more than it needs a witty quip.

Good idea because I currently have no idea wtf you're trying to do and think that it sucks.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Okay, real talk:

Sometime a yeah ago or more, an online vendor (LAPG I think?) was clearancing all of their Magpul clothing, and I got a couple pair of Magpul-brand shorts pretty cheap. Magpul discontinued most of their clothing I think, hence the clearance.

These shorts are easily the best and most comfortable pair of shorts I've ever owned. They fit well, they look nice, no obnoxious branding (very little branding at all, in fact). I want more, and if i could find the pants version I'd wear them every goddamned day.

However.

Like I said, Magpul doesn't make them anymore. Magpul probably didn't design and produce these shorts themselves, so does anyone have an idea how I'd figure out who the OEM of these shorts was so I can find similar? The inside of the waist says "Magpul Industries Corporation - Designed in Texas", the care tag says made in India. It's a 97% cotton 3% spandex fabric, and it has what looks like a Magpul part number of MAG715, below that is "RN133229", I'm wondering if that's the OEM manufacturer number.

Anyone have any ideas or tips on how to track down some comfy pants from this?

Edit: Failing that, could someone point me at some 97% Cotton/3% spandex slacks/pants? I have the Duluth Trading cargo pants that are the same blend and they are damned comfy, if kinda weird looking. They're my air-travel pants, the pockets are handy for boarding passes and whatever, and as I said damned comfy.

boxen fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Mar 4, 2021

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Don't you go near that dog, you understand? Don't go near him, he's just as dangerous dead as alive.

I have decided to take up spoon carving again because I need a more productive reason to sit on the porch besides beer and depression. I'm going to be cutting and stacking a ton of green wood that broke in the Tejas ice storm so I'll have a limitless supply of blanks. I am unreasonably excited about this despite currently being in a major funk with my job. Come on spring let's get going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Check out my hot takes because I'm a straight white male

boxen posted:

Okay, real talk:

Sometime a yeah ago or more, an online vendor (LAPG I think?) was clearancing all of their Magpul clothing, and I got a couple pair of Magpul-brand shorts pretty cheap. Magpul discontinued most of their clothing I think, hence the clearance.

These shorts are easily the best and most comfortable pair of shorts I've ever owned. They fit well, they look nice, no obnoxious branding (very little branding at all, in fact). I want more, and if i could find the pants version I'd wear them every goddamned day.

However.

Like I said, Magpul doesn't make them anymore. Magpul probably didn't design and produce these shorts themselves, so does anyone have an idea how I'd figure out who the OEM of these shorts was so I can find similar? The inside of the waist says "Magpul Industries Corporation - Designed in Texas", the care tag says made in India. It's a 97% cotton 3% spandex fabric, and it has what looks like a Magpul part number of MAG715, below that is "RN133229", I'm wondering if that's the OEM manufacturer number.

Anyone have any ideas or tips on how to track down some comfy pants from this?

Edit: Failing that, could someone point me at some 97% Cotton/3% spandex slacks/pants? I have the Duluth Trading cargo pants that are the same blend and they are damned comfy, if kinda weird looking. They're my air-travel pants, the pockets are handy for boarding passes and whatever, and as I said damned comfy.

Could try emailing Magpul asking who their manufacturer was. Can't hurt, right?