Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

My county made all adults age 16 and up eligible for the COVID-19 vaccine. My first jab is Friday, next one is April 30th. Got my son signed up, too.

The county has a mass vaccination center in Collinsville, which, while in my county and on my side of the river, takes longer to get to than downtown St. Louis. My sister-in-law said that Walgreens sent her an email--I don't use Walgreens for my Rx, but I created accounts for myself and my son so we could get the shots at two different locations in the much closer Granite City.

You can count on shots you get in that town. Everything about that city is solid as a... I don't know... some really solid thing. Use your imagination.

I won't be able to do much drinking Friday, looks like. My kid works til 6 PM, so our appointments are for later than that.

Vaccines!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Colorado going to everyone 16+ next week. If I wasn't already getting my jab tomorrow I'd be first in line.

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Enter the woods, find a friend!

Somebody two houses down from me caught the plague and died. Vaccine availability in my area still remains a massive question mark.

The person in question also had some kids who would wander around town and just let themselves into stranger's houses, so that's exciting.

More of my pals have gotten their dose and want to hang out or have me come visit, but I'm not gonna risk it until I've gotten jabbed despite how badly I miss visiting people I give a poo poo about.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Akion posted:

Colorado going to everyone 16+ next week. If I wasn't already getting my jab tomorrow I'd be first in line.

Cool!

Illinois is doing that state-wide in a week or two, but apparently some counties can make the call earlier. I have family in Soyncorn County, and my mom texted me and said that they were letting people from nearby counties take some of their excess vaccines if there was a waiting list in their home counties. I was going to call today before I found out that my county was dropping the eligibility criteria down to 16 years old.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Capn Beeb posted:

The person in question also had some kids who would wander around town and just let themselves into stranger's houses, so that's exciting.

Is it odd of me to think that’s bizarre even by pre-covid standards?

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Kazinsal posted:

Is it odd of me to think that’s bizarre even by pre-covid standards?

Nah, this was the first time something like that has happened in town ever since I've lived here. Even growing up and wandering around town with my friends we would only visit houses we knew and knock on the door. Never just... let ourselves in.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

Capn Beeb posted:

Somebody two houses down from me caught the plague and died. Vaccine availability in my area still remains a massive question mark.

More of my pals have gotten their dose and want to hang out or have me come visit, but I'm not gonna risk it until I've gotten jabbed despite how badly I miss visiting people I give a poo poo about.

What's up VA plague buddy.

If I die I hope they bury me in the governor's rear end.

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Oh you know, just counting how many people I see with either their nose or entire faces exposed while I get groceries Also being buried in the governor's rear end reminded me of this. Could just cross out AIDS and make it Covid.

Not much has changed, tbh. 25 of 50 states have been pushing transphobic legislation, so that's fun. I enjoy how the Satanic Panic and Queer Panic has come back and the "opposition" party is disinterested and outright unequipped to fight it beyond empty platitudes of "oh, we're on your side, honest! no we won't give you rights or protect what few you have tho, just vote for us or else "

It's cool how we keep easing restrictions because cases go down, but then we get a surge in cases so uh oh button up!! But also schools must re-open and three feet apart is Enough, because reasons.

Just loving say it. Say you want schools to open back up so parents can go back to work to make economy Number Go Up and that our leaders don't give a gently caress about us.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Second shot at 1pm tomorrow for me. To say I'm excited is an understatement. My dad is getting his second on Friday, which means my immediate family and the vast majority of my friends will be fully vaccinated by mid-april.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Shooting Blanks posted:

Second shot at 1pm tomorrow for me. To say I'm excited is an understatement. My dad is getting his second on Friday, which means my immediate family and the vast majority of my friends will be fully vaccinated by mid-april.

That's good. I can't wait for my son and me to join the club. Mrs. T is already fully vaccinated.

I heard that fully vaccinated people can still spread the virus.

So... how wrong is it of me to say that if that's the case, then the people who refuse the vaccine are free to do so, and the virus will continue to spread, and the vaccinated will have a lower chance of getting seriously ill, and... well, the problem might just... you know... solve itself?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

When I get vaccinated, the first things I’m going to do are -

Go visit the parrot shop and say Hi to some of my Portland friends. (Birds and People)

Get a massage. Not being able to get my feet done literally hurts. A proper massage is worth a fist full of opiate painkillers when you have nerve damage.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Check out my hot takes because I'm a straight white male

tarlibone posted:

That's good. I can't wait for my son and me to join the club. Mrs. T is already fully vaccinated.

Whether vaccinated people can spread the virus is still unknown, as far as I know. We're basically treating it as if it's true, because if it is true it'll have been a good idea, and treating it as if it's not true and finding out it is actually true would be Bad.

quote:

So... how wrong is it of me to say that if that's the case, then the people who refuse the vaccine are free to do so, and the virus will continue to spread, and the vaccinated will have a lower chance of getting seriously ill, and... well, the problem might just... you know... solve itself?

They're gonna kill a whole lot of yet-to-be-vaccinated folks on their way out.

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Mar 30, 2021

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

tarlibone posted:

The problem is their friends and family, who might be unvaccinated due to living under the antivaxxer’s roof.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Captain Log posted:

When I get vaccinated, the first things I’m going to do are -

Go visit the parrot shop and say Hi to some of my Portland friends. (Birds and People)

Get a massage. Not being able to get my feet done literally hurts. A proper massage is worth a fist full of opiate painkillers when you have nerve damage.

Next week, once our second shots have kicked in, I'm planning on destroying a plate of oysters with my dad to celebrate.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

My wife finally got a jab from the county (city).

For the amount of state taxes we pay, with a "doctor" governor, this vaccine rollout has been an absolute clusterfuck.

I've been doing the grocery shopping and all the errands for my wife for the past 3months as I got my first jab back in Dec but that's nothing to do with VA and this abysmal plan of theirs.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Dick Burglar posted:

They're gonna kill a whole lot of yet-to-be-vaccinated folks on their way out.

Also the more virus is in circulation, the more it multiplies, the more it has a chance to mutate. Mutations can make it do nothing. Or make it more mild. It could work against the virus, or, well. Make it stronger. And as it circulates and changes, there's always a chance that two strains that did one weird trick might do a thing together that makes it all suck more.

Comfy sponk
Mar 30, 2007

Wife gets her first jab tomorrow, mine is scheduled for wendesday.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Dang dicknose don't tuck that money under your eyelids!

Pillbug

Dick Burglar posted:

Whether vaccinated people can spread the virus is still unknown, as far as I know. We're basically treating it as if it's true, because if it is true it'll have been a good idea, and treating it as if it's not true and finding out it is actually true would be Bad.

The evidence is pointing overwhelmingly to the vaccine cutting even asymptomatic cases massively, and making the viral load in those cases lower. But because of how studies work they’re not going to say anything until they know for sure, because like you said, better safe than sorry. The problem is that by phrasing it as “we don’t have proof it does”, people who aren’t used to how journal articles are written ended up interpreting it as “it doesn’t do poo poo”.

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

TCD posted:

My wife finally got a jab from the county (city).

For the amount of state taxes we pay, with a "doctor" governor, this vaccine rollout has been an absolute clusterfuck.

I've been doing the grocery shopping and all the errands for my wife for the past 3months as I got my first jab back in Dec but that's nothing to do with VA and this abysmal plan of theirs.

Nah see, the doctor credentials matter only when it comes to useless legislation. Expanding minimum wage or health care, ya know poo poo that actually helps and has been proven to help pretty much everyone? Nah, kick that down the road. This way whoever is slated to replace him can run again on a campaign of empty promises.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Captain Log posted:

Fat Nick and Pouya have made possibly the most TFR rap video ever -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5VxsupCPsw

As a person who might eventually be stuck to a scooter, I like the way these men think.

(Yes, this is Florida.)

So basically this video was inspired by the 'Murica image

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Capn Beeb posted:

But also schools must re-open and three feet apart is Enough, because reasons.

Just loving say it. Say you want schools to open back up so parents can go back to work to make economy Number Go Up and that our leaders don't give a gently caress about us.

The hostility toward children (not teens) getting in person education has been one of the more spicy political divides. It’s tough calculus, but denying young children a year plus of education due to scientifically unfounded and outsized risk aversion is lovely for kids. Or it’s sometimes caged in extremely judgy terms of blaming parents for wanting their children to receive in-person education for disingenuous reasons (like calling it daycare or blaming parents for not being up to par with paid licensed teachers).

Most of the reopenings are optional, not a free ticket for the truancy officer to come tear up a family.

And if the idea is that schools make number go up, well... The stock market has gone up steadily for literally the whole last year. So it’s not like the stock brokers are frantically searching for the “pull up” button and blindly grabbed “publicly funded education for young children.”

Above analysis subject to change if we do actually get proof of variants that are more deadly or spread more effectively via children. As is, children are far, far lower vector threat to adults than fellow adults are.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

BeAuMaN posted:

So basically this video was inspired by the 'Murica image

Seems legit.

On the subject on other interesting gun mentions in rap videos, Tobe Nwigwe mentioned having a red dot on his carry piece. Which means red dots are cool now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiiEKpIk2dI

On the subject of weird gun mentions, Danny Brown spends a verse talking about oral sex, then drops "Used to tote that Calico/and serve like John McEnroe." Which means Calicos are even cooler now. (I know this is five years old. I'm old. New music doesn't get to me very quick.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FR_yo8wAgJ4

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

mlmp08 posted:

The hostility toward children (not teens) getting in person education has been one of the more spicy political divides. It’s tough calculus, but denying young children a year plus of education due to scientifically unfounded and outsized risk aversion is lovely for kids. Or it’s sometimes caged in extremely judgy terms of blaming parents for wanting their children to receive in-person education for disingenuous reasons (like calling it daycare or blaming parents for not being up to par with paid licensed teachers).

Most of the reopenings are optional, not a free ticket for the truancy officer to come tear up a family.

And if the idea is that schools make number go up, well... The stock market has gone up steadily for literally the whole last year. So it’s not like the stock brokers are frantically searching for the “pull up” button and blindly grabbed “publicly funded education for young children.”

Above analysis subject to change if we do actually get proof of variants that are more deadly or spread more effectively via children. As is, children are far, far lower vector threat to adults than fellow adults are.

Everywhere that's fully reopened schools now has a huge amount of infected kids and hospitalizations are trending below age 45 as they go home and get their whole families sick. I forget if it was Belgium or the Netherlands but one of them made that mistake and they're hosed up now.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Shima Honnou posted:

Everywhere that's fully reopened schools now has a huge amount of infected kids and hospitalizations are trending below age 45 as they go home and get their whole families sick.

The science and numbers do not support this claim.

Large number of children have contracted covid, but proportionately far less than adults and predominantly spread to them from the adults in their lives. The odds of a human passing covid to others generally goes up as their age goes up. Children contract covid to be sure, but they are massively less infectious to others than adults.

The odds of hospitalization amd death are extremely strongly correlated with age.

The primary threat to adults catching covid in schools is other adults, either on staff or parents. It’s a big part of why restricting parent entrance into schools is so importance during covid outbreaks.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/covid-data/investigations-discovery/hospitalization-death-by-age.html

For a long time, a lot of people underestimated the threat of covid or denied its rise or tried to simplistically align it too simply with a few basic milestones (a holiday, school, etc).

However, the danger of children as virus vectors is wildly overestimated.

All of that said, it’s pretty clear that schools must inly open with basic requirements like masks and cancellation of unnecessary indoor events and crowding. A school reopening to 100% capacity with zero masks is a terrible example of reopening, but it’s one we’ve seen in some parts of America.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"

My wife gets her first shot on Friday

I'll be eligible on Monday, along with every other adult in Florida. Hopefully I can get myself an appointment as easily as I was able to make hers. Luckily my job makes it easy for me to go wherever whenever during the day so if I have to block off half a day to drive an hour for a shot, so be it if that's what it takes.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Final Blog Entry posted:

My wife gets her first shot on Friday

I'll be eligible on Monday, along with every other adult in Florida. Hopefully I can get myself an appointment as easily as I was able to make hers. Luckily my job makes it easy for me to go wherever whenever during the day so if I have to block off half a day to drive an hour for a shot, so be it if that's what it takes.

Don’t wait until next week to make an appointment. At least here, the state knows roughly what they’re getting a week in advance. I set an appointment last week for my first shot this week because I became eligible yesterday.

I scheduled my folks that way too - looked the week before they were eligible for slots the next week.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

LordOfThePants posted:

Don’t wait until next week to make an appointment. At least here, the state knows roughly what they’re getting a week in advance. I set an appointment last week for my first shot this week because I became eligible yesterday.

I scheduled my folks that way too - looked the week before they were eligible for slots the next week.

Some places don't give you the choice. I know that in my county, I couldn't register at all until they lowered the requirements to all adults over 16 years old, which I think was yesterday. No early registration for us like there was for the first couple of rounds of vaccine eligibility.

So, even if you know you'll be eligible next week, and you know there is plenty of supply available, you might have to wait. It's dumb, but that's just how it works sometimes.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Such ferocity! Aren’t they the cutest little terrors!

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

"I'm tellin' ya, I once murdered a human THIIIIIIIIIIIIS BIG!!"

"He didn't see it coming! Or she? Doesn't matter. Hunted, stalked, pounced, murdered! Oh, me and my buddies ate on that carcass for days until it got stinky. Oh, you shoulda' been there, man!"

"High-Five on the human kill, bro!"

Sy Borg
Sep 20, 2007

Grimey Drawer

I am scheduled to get my second shot in two weeks. My appointments for rounds one and two are conveniently booked on Friday (thanks fluke of scheduling system). This way if my body gets a weird reaction to Pfizer, I've got the weekend to mope and recover.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Captain Log posted:

On the subject on other interesting gun mentions in rap videos, Tobe Nwigwe mentioned having a red dot on his carry piece. Which means red dots are cool now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiiEKpIk2dI

That track is dope.

One of my favorites for gunmentioning in rap (sadly not a video). He even covers the necessity of gun safety lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_8RfkdKuJM

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

I love hyphy.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

That track is dope.

One of my favorites for gunmentioning in rap (sadly not a video). He even covers the necessity of gun safety lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_8RfkdKuJM

lite_sleepr posted:

I love hyphy.

If you play the E-40 track in the forum's window, it looks like Lite Sleepr's talking cat got bars.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

mlmp08 posted:

The science and numbers do not support this claim.

You sure about that?

https://www.woodtv.com/health/coronavirus/march-29-2021-michigan-coronavirus-update/

quote:

The state has started tracking 70 more coronavirus outbreaks at K-12 schools, colleges and universities, bringing the total number of such outbreaks to 274.

quote:

K-12 schools are seeing more outbreaks as long-term care facilities are seeing fewer. At the same time, people ages 10-19 are contracting the virus at the highest rates, while those over 70 — a larger percentage of whom are vaccinated — are seeing the smallest uptick in cases.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Yes, fairly. Cases != hospitalization rates, which was the most contentious part of Shima’s post, not that we would continue to see new cases.

Seeing extant cases is an issue, but it’s not nearly as big an issue as seeing cases in the most vulnerable populations.

Universal mask use amd limiting contact to the most critical things such as education or essential services os still incredibly important.

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

https://twitter.com/politico/status/1376900831165956099
https://twitter.com/vp/status/1375911503283552259

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/rochelle-walensky-cdc-chief-covid-concern/

Biden: We believe science.

Science: You're loving around, and a lot of people are going to be finding out on account of you.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Meh, it is better for children’s welfare to have access to critical social services and education than to shut down public education out of either an irrationally high risk estimation of the virus or a very low risk estimation to depriving children of education.

Kids having access to school is important. The most vulnerable populations are being frontloaded. Masks are still critically important.

In the last year of pandemic, COVID-19 has been the cause of death for about 8-10% as many minors as are killed by gunshot wounds in a typical year in the USA. And COVID has killed about 1/3 as many kids as pneumonia. Its danger grows at incredible rates as its victim ages (see also: lots of other terrible diseases).

Front loading educators into vaccines and strict enforcement of masks are key factors in keeping the vulnerable adults safe rather than just depriving children of public education.

The unfortunate part is that a lot of school openings have been rushing to failure of just deciding to open without PPE or other critical mitigations.

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Got my first Pfizer shot today. That was the least painful shot I've ever gotten.

Feel a little funky but nothing too bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

Akion posted:

Got my first Pfizer shot today. That was the least painful shot I've ever gotten.

Feel a little funky but nothing too bad.

What up, Pfizer buddy

My arm is pretty sore, and a headache bothered me for a bit about an hour ago, but I'm mostly fine