Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Forum Hussy
Feb 8, 2005

I get my second Pfizer jab on Friday, I may take off work Saturday regardless of how I feel after. Both of my parents had no reactions whatsoever to either dose and neither of them are in especially great health, so I suspect I will feel like hammered poo poo for a couple of days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkFear
Sep 14, 2007

I'm getting my second Pfizer shot Friday afternoon and I have a shitload of manual labor planned for the weekend, so we'll see how that goes...

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Got an appointment for my first shot at the end of the week.

Shima Honnou posted:

As a form of ironic punishment we must make a forumwide rule that Dip Viscous cannot be banned no matter what, rules just no longer apply to them.

Perhaps I will cast him into the eternal hell of anime avatars.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

My second Pfizer shot was yesterday and I have a sore arm and mild fatigue. I could probably work today but I already scheduled to take off, so I'm going to go with that in case side effects get worse later.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Oregon has been consistently in the bottom five states for covid deaths, which is thought to in part be due to how early we "shut down."

But our vaccine response has basically been a combination of and

Another local goon and I thought we found an in at Clackamas, but then they went, "LOL no, we aren't doing under 65 despite what we said."

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Come to CO. We open up to everyone on Monday.

Get a COVID shot, get some weed, have a nice time.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Akion posted:

Come to CO. We open up to everyone on Monday.

Get a COVID shot, get some weed, have a nice time.

I'm just being cranky because everyone else is getting to rejoin planet earth with their vaccination. Ours are supposed to open up by April 26th. I'm quite paranoid another nasty spike is going to hit before my father or I get vaccinated.

Truthfully, I'd rather people with jobs and families get it before me. I can handle being shut away an extra month.

(Still gonna bitch at Oregon, though)

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Captain Log posted:

But you want to know the textbook definition of asinine? Look up British Decimal Coinage. The pound was originally 240 pence. Meaning you had farthings, half pennies, pennies, three pence, six pence, shilling, florin, half crown, and crown. None of those have any real rational system behind how many of one make up the other. I'm not even getting into guineas and sovereigns. Sorting this poo poo drat near broke my brain.

I remember reading in someone's memoirs as an American traveling in the UK in the early 20th century. When he went to buy a train ticket, the guy said "That will be four bobs, sixpence, and a toodlesmirk" or whatever. He says he just pulled a handful of British moon-dollar coins out of his pocket, handed it to the guy and "hoped he was honest".

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.

tarlibone posted:

... soon. I did look at the gas piston models, but those price points were a bit serious. The P17, on the other hand, looks remarkably accurate for its price point. So soft handflesh will soon experience the single-stroke pneumatic bliss.
Everyone who posts in TFR and does not have a P17 needs to stop what they're doing and buy one now. They're ridiculously good for the price.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!

Nap Ghost

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I thought mumblegore was what comes out when you try to talk after someone decks you in the mouth.

Mumblegore is the name of my TOTALLY ORIGINAL DO NOT STEAL character in my Harry Potter fanfic

infrared35 posted:

I have it on good authority (a coworker) that you will become a gay tool of the liberal agenda if you get the shot, because the virus is a hoax and it was only a cover to get people to take the illuminati's mind control drugs.

On the plus side I've really been enjoying my chats with Mr. Gates and the rest of the hive mind

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Shooting Blanks posted:

I'm 6.5 hours past my second Pfizer shot and feel alright. Mildly sore arm and I needed a power nap about 2 hours post shot, but now it's alright.

If course I'm still taking tomorrow as a sick day since it's already booked due to post vaccine illness.

My 2nd shot wasn't so bad. First shot was way worse.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

canyoneer posted:

I remember reading in someone's memoirs as an American traveling in the UK in the early 20th century. When he went to buy a train ticket, the guy said "That will be four bobs, sixpence, and a toodlesmirk" or whatever. He says he just pulled a handful of British moon-dollar coins out of his pocket, handed it to the guy and "hoped he was honest".

I'm not sure anyone actually knew how to count that loving money. I'm sure everyone was just on some sort of nation wide system of assuming change was correct.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Re: Currency denomination chat.

When I was a photo technician (2007) a woman who was clearly Australian came in with a piece of photographic negative and she wanted a print. It was a WWII era photo of her (late) husband that I handled more carefully than anything else I touched in that job.

After her print was done, I told her that her total was 24 cents. She opened an old lady wallet that probably had two pounds of coins in it and handed me a twenty. I stopped for a moment and said, "Um...ma'am, it's only 24 cents."
She just looked at me and said, "I don't understand your money," and opened her wallet to me. I handed her back the twenty, took a quarter, and gave her back a penny.

I hope people weren't taking advantage of her at other stores. To get as much change back as she had, she probably had made at least two dozen cash transactions.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

poeticoddity posted:

Re: Currency denomination chat.

When I was a photo technician (2007) a woman who was clearly Australian came in with a piece of photographic negative and she wanted a print. It was a WWII era photo of her (late) husband that I handled more carefully than anything else I touched in that job.

After her print was done, I told her that her total was 24 cents. She opened an old lady wallet that probably had two pounds of coins in it and handed me a twenty. I stopped for a moment and said, "Um...ma'am, it's only 24 cents."
She just looked at me and said, "I don't understand your money," and opened her wallet to me. I handed her back the twenty, took a quarter, and gave her back a penny.

I hope people weren't taking advantage of her at other stores. To get as much change back as she had, she probably had made at least two dozen cash transactions.

I ain't gonna lie - I did that more than once before the Euro. I'd been going abroad since seven years old, so I had enough sense to not just hand them a stack of paper. But I'd know enough French to apologize and let them take what coinage they needed.

Being able to speak even a three year old's vocabulary is a lifesaver when it comes to locals not hating you.

WARNING - This does not apply in Paris, possibly the only place that rivals New York for dickheaded locals.

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

When I was in Germany, I ended up with a giant bowl of change by my front door due to all the coinage.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

stealie72 posted:

Everyone who posts in TFR and does not have a P17 needs to stop what they're doing and buy one now. They're ridiculously good for the price.

It seems neat but I just don't know that I trust Kel-tec like that.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Real talk - The pound coin is possibly the best common circulation coin ever made. They feel like a pocket full of gold, not worthless change.

I've read things saying they stimulate the economy, because people are quick to spend the fat fuckers.

Yond Cassius
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Oh, good, coinchat has returned.

Here is my contribution.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Yond Cassius posted:

Oh, good, coinchat has returned.

Here is my contribution.

...Neeeeeeerd....

:goes back to cataloguing these:

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

I have a weird Jamaican coin that's nearly worthless, but it's shaped really weird.

Also, thanks for recommending Ammo Seek. Just scored some 38 special wadcutters (!).

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I've got a bunch of those silly Somalian car- and motorcycle-shaped coins. They aren't worth much, but I think they're neat.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Akion posted:

When I was in Germany, I ended up with a giant bowl of change by my front door due to all the coinage.

So it goes when the smallest paper bill is 5 EUR. Coins now become actual real money you try hard not to lose.

Swiss currency is even more fun, their smallest bill is 10 CHF, you could end up with $20 in your couch cushions pretty quickly.

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

another medical bills avatar

Captain Log posted:

You want to know what feels good?

This. This feels good. This is what happens when you sort through pounds of jumbled coins form 40+ countries. With five generations of British people contributing to it. This doesn't account for my personal British stuff, which will be folded in later.

That's all my United Kingdom Era coinage (1801 - 1967) combined with modern British coinage. Top two rows - Old poo poo. Bottom two rows - newer poo poo.

Nothing there is in special condition or worth more than five bucks, so it doesn't need to be individually sleeved.

But you want to know the textbook definition of asinine? Look up British Decimal Coinage. The pound was originally 240 pence. Meaning you had farthings, half pennies, pennies, three pence, six pence, shilling, florin, half crown, and crown. None of those have any real rational system behind how many of one make up the other. I'm not even getting into guineas and sovereigns. Sorting this poo poo drat near broke my brain.

--------------------------

After the last UFC, I've finally decided to start using a VPN. Recommend me an easy to use VPN for a person who wants to being able to access British streaming services with the least amount of fuss. gently caress being region blocked out of everything.

12/24 actually makes sense for doing trade in person.

count the finger segments on your hand with your thumb

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

shalafi4 posted:

Arguably the most efficient option would be binary coinage. Your hands make a 10-bit counter!

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

shalafi4 posted:

But then you get into farthings, shillings, crowns, florins, guineas, and god knows what else.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

I like heavy coins. Those are the ones that I will buy if I see them. I want to hold that thing like a precious metal pog and think, "If I winged this at someone's temple just right, I bet I could loving kill them."

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Going to need a new chat thread soon. Any ideas/volunteers?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Captain Log posted:

Real talk - The pound coin is possibly the best common circulation coin ever made. They feel like a pocket full of gold, not worthless change.

I've read things saying they stimulate the economy, because people are quick to spend the fat fuckers.

I loving love the pound coin, 50 pence and 20 p(ee) coins. Nice boring thin circle money america, you fuckin losers.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

You can argue about which country has the coolest coinage, but you're all wrong. It's Yap Island.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

While you're waiting for the April thread, treat yourself to some genuine Soviet Cosmoline anti-aging cream, blessed by Gun Jesus himself.

https://www.varusteleka.com/en/product/genuine-soviet-cosmoline-anti-age-time-erasing-wonder/67431

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0MD7_8AkNA

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Lock Picking Lawyer for the win:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-tKnjFwleU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010