Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Atticus_1354 posted:

I have decided to take up spoon carving again because I need a more productive reason to sit on the porch besides beer and depression. I'm going to be cutting and stacking a ton of green wood that broke in the Tejas ice storm so I'll have a limitless supply of blanks. I am unreasonably excited about this despite currently being in a major funk with my job. Come on spring let's get going.

Following.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Atticus_1354 posted:

I have decided to take up spoon carving again because I need a more productive reason to sit on the porch besides beer and depression. I'm going to be cutting and stacking a ton of green wood that broke in the Tejas ice storm so I'll have a limitless supply of blanks. I am unreasonably excited about this despite currently being in a major funk with my job. Come on spring let's get going.

If you write any manifestos the Legal Questions Megathread in Ask/Tell would love to read them.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Atticus_1354 posted:

I have decided to take up spoon carving again because I need a more productive reason to sit on the porch besides beer and depression.

The theory of spoon carving intrigues me, but after taking a splinter to the lip from a chopstick, I'm not sure I could ever trust the practice.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Kazinsal posted:

And giving a Winston Churchill quote as the probe reason. That's hosed.

Here's another choice Winston Churchill quote: "The Aryan stock is bound to triumph."

We shall probe them on the beaches. We shall probe them on the seas.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

I wish using stale bread as an edible bowl would come back in style.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Dang dicknose don't tuck that money under your eyelids!

Pillbug

Shima Honnou posted:

I can think of like five places near me that do bread bowls.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I can think of like five places near me that do bread bowls.

The Panera Pentagram

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

tangy yet delightful posted:

The Panera Pentagram

They share a parent company with Krispy Kreme as well as 4 different bagel companies. It's an unholy coterie of panemancers with the frightening and unholy power to raise the bread.

therobit fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Mar 4, 2021

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Shima Honnou posted:

Be the change you wish to see in the world

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Don't you go near that dog, you understand? Don't go near him, he's just as dangerous dead as alive.

therobit posted:

If you write any manifestos the Legal Questions Megathread in Ask/Tell would love to read them.

Well I am a dirtbag environmentalist who is getting burned out on his job so its possible.

Nipponophile posted:

The theory of spoon carving intrigues me, but after taking a splinter to the lip from a chopstick, I'm not sure I could ever trust the practice.

Cheap chopsticks are the worst. I'm going to focus on big spatulas and spoons to replace the lovely cooking utensils I have and then see how it goes from there.

Atticus_1354 fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Mar 4, 2021

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I just had an epiphany: the internet is useless!

Ultra Carp

infrared35 posted:

I have a 3.5" low mount rail section... but it's polymer. I also have a 6.25" aluminum rail section, but it's a weird, raised thing. You're welcome to either or both if you want them.

Thanks for the offer! But right now I'm looking for something I can weld on to the receiver tube. I appreciate you checking your stuff tho

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.

Vim Fuego posted:

Thanks for the offer! But right now I'm looking for something I can weld on to the receiver tube. I appreciate you checking your stuff tho

JB Weld is a TYPE of weld. . .

Hayden
Jan 17, 2006
buttsex?

Crossposting from the Recommend me a tablet thread in IYG, because you guys know stuff about things:

Hayden posted:

I'm looking at getting an android tablet to use primarily for reading comics, streaming, and dicking around on the forums. I don't really need anything too beefy, I've already got a laptop that's more than enough to handle any actual work I want to do. I'd prefer something with a microSD slot so I can expand storage, and bluetooth. If travel ever gets safe again, I'd like to be able to load it up with netflix downloads for the flight or whatever.

I've been looking at the 64 gb Samsung Galaxy Tab A7, which is currently $209 at Sam's Club.

For my uses, will this be enough? Like I said, I don't need anything super top of the line, but I also don't want to end up furious at a slow sloggy tablet. Or should I just get a kindle?

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

another medical bills avatar

Hayden posted:

Crossposting from the Recommend me a tablet thread in IYG, because you guys know stuff about things:

a Tab A will do fine at being an interwebs surfing typewriter. (Mom has one and loves it, she mainly uses it for internet surfing and email)

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Hayden posted:

don't want to end up furious at a slow sloggy tablet.

Hayden posted:

should I just get a kindle?
Nope. In my personal experience, the cheaper kindles are sluggish, and you're better off with the full google store at your disposal anyway.

That Samsung looks pretty solid for the price.

Edit: having said that, kindles are great if you've only got $40 and NEED something, anything to surf the web on.

Smithwick
Jun 20, 2003

boxen posted:

Okay, real talk:

Anyone have any ideas or tips on how to track down some comfy pants from this?

Edit: Failing that, could someone point me at some 97% Cotton/3% spandex slacks/pants? I have the Duluth Trading cargo pants that are the same blend and they are damned comfy, if kinda weird looking. They're my air-travel pants, the pockets are handy for boarding passes and whatever, and as I said damned comfy.

Depending on what you are looking for, here are some options I found that work for me.

Bonobos Sretch Chinos are 98% cotton/2% lycra and I have found to be super comfortable.

Banana Republic makes something similarly, but I haven't tried them. Banana Republic does make Traveler Jeans with Japanese denim which are the most comfortable jeans I've ever owned. They are 79% cotten and 21% other stuff.

Lululemon makes pants out of a fabric they call Utilitech which is a poly/cotton/spandex blend. Very comfortable, durable and looks good.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Hayden posted:

I'm looking at getting an android tablet to use primarily for reading comics, streaming, and dicking around on the forums. I don't really need anything too beefy, I've already got a laptop that's more than enough to handle any actual work I want to do. I'd prefer something with a microSD slot so I can expand storage, and bluetooth. If travel ever gets safe again, I'd like to be able to load it up with netflix downloads for the flight or whatever.

I've been looking at the 64 gb Samsung Galaxy Tab A7, which is currently $209 at Sam's Club.

For my uses, will this be enough? Like I said, I don't need anything super top of the line, but I also don't want to end up furious at a slow sloggy tablet. Or should I just get a kindle?

*edit* It's less that the ipad is out of my price range, and more that I don't really want an iOS device. I'd prefer something with expandable memory, since I already have a 256gb mSD card sitting around, and I'm already set up / familiar with android.

In 2015, I got a7" Galaxy Tab 4. I wanted a tablet because I didn't have a cell phone and wanted to text without using Facebook on my PC. Its speed was not great. But, I mainly used it for videos, a few websites, and occasional texting. And Freecell. And for that, it was OK.

If that cheapo 7" Galaxy Tab 4 worked fine for me, I'm sure the model you're looking at can handle your use case.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Welp, the first boxes of stuff from my Uncle's place are arriving.

But the first thing I'm going to share is going to stay with me as long as I live. You'll see why.

This is one of those carved Japanese figures, undoubtedly picked up by my grandmother when she was in England doing antique things. My uncle was a giant fan of any and everything Japanese, meaning these were treasured.

Looks to be a gentleman, feeding tiny clothes wearing monkeys. As we all do on our days off.

But wait a second...you've gotta be making GBS threads me.

The tiny man has a crested parrot on his shoulder! Those come from Australia, not Japan.

The odds of an Edo period figure having a good representation of a cockatoo genus parrot, with a crest, chilling on a person's shoulder would have to be a billion to one. It would make me think the sculptor had seen one of these birds before, but maybe I'm being fantastical. Not only that - but the figure was purchased by my grandmother in England, gifted to my uncle in Nashville, now it resides in Portland with me. A guy who lives with a crested parrot.

Maker's Mark. The detail on this is loving unbelievable. But I'm in awe of one of these antique figures having a loving crested parrot represented.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Japan has a weird history, including the guy who made his way to Central and South America and had his portrait done in Europe as well as the almost contemporary to each other black African and white European samurai. In summary, Nobunaga and his bros hosed up history a lot.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Speaking of, I logged on to Netflix for the first time in a while yesterday to cancel my account and got recommended a documentary they just added about Japan in the Sengoku era. I haven't watched it, so I can't vouch, but it might be a look into a period and place that most of us don't ever hear about in history classes.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Nipponophile posted:

Speaking of, I logged on to Netflix for the first time in a while yesterday to cancel my account and got recommended a documentary they just added about Japan in the Sengoku era. I haven't watched it, so I can't vouch, but it might be a look into a period and place that most of us don't ever hear about in history classes.

Age of Samurai - Battle For Japan?

I知 watching it piecemeal right now. Pretty interesting for a topic I知 clueless about.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Edo era did stretch into the mid 19th century and while ol' Tokugawa did heavily restrict trade I could see some wealthy folk getting some exotic birds imported.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Sure that's not a macaw, perhaps one called Crackers?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Action-Bastard posted:

Edo era did stretch into the mid 19th century and while ol' Tokugawa did heavily restrict trade I could see some wealthy folk getting some exotic birds imported.

That's the trip of it - I'd be willing to bet that is based on a real bird. You wouldn't just imagine a crested parrot, hold its crest down like it's all chilled out. I'd just love to hear the story.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Nice to see Netflix getting more Japanese stuff. There's actually a good amount of Chinese shows on there (though it lacks a good Romance of the Three Kingdoms adaptation - still gotta go to Youtube for those), and a fair preponderance of Indian/Pakistani shows, but there are areas it feels pretty lacking and one of those is Japanese stuff. I just want the NHK dramas drat it.

E: Be aware this documentary is a dramatization with actual history changed. Nobunaga defeated his rebelling brother not by personally killing him, but by allowing his brother to think Nobunaga was sick and dying and that Nobuyuki could get control in writing, thereby tricking his brother to show up and get killed by an underline once he was inside (also note that this happened after his brother already rebelled once but Nobunaga was convinced to pardon his bro, who went right back to trying to start poo poo). It was like some ultimate triple-cross poo poo that he pulled basically just to be a dick.

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Mar 5, 2021

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

That Nobunaga sure was an ambitious fella

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!

Nap Ghost

Hayden posted:

I just got a Galaxy Tab S6 Lite for $300 out the door from microcenter, it seems to be a really good value. I don't know about storage expansion but maybe check that model out

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Action-Bastard posted:

That Nobunaga sure was an ambitious fella
Ambitious is one way to describe him...

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!

Nap Ghost

I had the most godawful transfer experience helping my dad buy his first ever internet shotgun and I apologize for the stream of consciousness but I've gotta get this out somewhere.

First, the transferer's company had a name that screamed "Trump fanatic" - think something like "MAGA Firearms" - but they were the only ones close to my dad out in the boonies. When i pointed this out to my Trump-hating dad () he just said "it takes all types"

We scheduled for 1:00 on this guy's day off, I'm fortunate that i can usually bum off work whenever. My stupid dog decided to drink too much water and barf right before I had to leave though, so I rushed to get to my dad's in time only for the guy to keep delaying for about an hour. Not his fault really, but annoying.

He finally calls to say he's ready and we head out. We get there and he and his teenage son are not wearing masks. Thankfully the ATF apparently makes them do transfers outdoors because the guy complained about having a new office for the business and unable to use it. Whatever, my dad and i were both fully vaccinated and it wasn't worth pushing the issue for a five minute interaction.

The gun arrived disassembled so dad puts it together and we bullshit about Remington and their decline in quality control over the years and their bankruptcy. The guy helpfully informs us, "You know who bought them and bankrupted them and is dismantling them, right? It's that Soros guy, who believes in trying to make the One World Government"

(Editor's note: Remington was bought by Cerberus Capital Management in 2007, who loaded it up with debt buying other companies as Freedom Group, restructured and renamed as Remington Company in 2015, and declared bankruptcy in 2018 I think. At no point was George Soros ever significantly involved. The person who WAS involved is Steve Feinberg, who served on Trumps Security Advisory Council)

I figured it was bullshit but I did some quick googling right there while waiting for him to complete the other stuff, but ultimately decided not to challenge him because I Just Wanted To Get Out Of There.

We proceed to filling out paperwork, where he helpfully informs me that if I say "yes" to the question about being an immigrant "we're gonna have a problem"

Anyway he goes off to do the NICS check and somehow he managed to enter his password wrong three times and locks himself out. His son asks him if caps lock is on and he says "yeah it's on, the first letter is a capital" as he does the two-finger typing to enter it. Regardless, he's locked out now. He tries calling the ATF FFL help line and picks the wrong prompt (in his defense the situation was ambiguous). The annoyed official tells him to use the other prompt. He calls again, waiting through the menu options and rigamarole, selects the new prompt, and "this service is discontinued and no longer supported" and disconnects. He calls the number again, annoys another official, does it again, and again.

Then he calls his business partner and, on speakerphone, asks him his password and security questions to try and unlock his account. It's been half an hour at this point and a full hour and a half after I expected this transfer to be over. The attempt with the partner fails.

Thankfully the email reset he requested right after being locked out finally comes through. However he's apparently unable to read the temporary password and so has his son read it out to him. He's also been saying his name and other identifying information out loud talking to other agents so I could have probably accessed his account myself by this point.

We start filling out the online questionnaire and he emphasizes that "it's not me asking this, they are the ones doing it: what's your gender?" I give my response, and he adds "good, because if you said something different you wouldn't be leaving here with that gun"

(If you haven't seen the latest 4473, it now has Non-Binary in addition to Male/Female)

So anyway I get my "Proceed" and he gives us the transfer for no charge because of all the headaches and time wasted and we got the hell out of there

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

The loving Guardian ( which sucks and probably is now writing TERF poo poo as every British newspaper does )

holy wow, that was some bad newspapering, lol

But the good news is, I think they're one of the only progressive-ish British newspapers now. I haven't seen any TERFy poo poo from them, and I feel they cover transgender people news pretty fairly nowadays. They were not approving of JK Rowling's poison, for example.

Their biggest problem, though, is how many drat typos they have all the time. There's a reason their nickname is The Grauniad.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

For DarkHorse, transferring a gun at MAGA Firearms was a...

DarkHorse posted:

I had the most godawful transfer experience helping my dad buy his first ever internet shotgun and I apologize for the stream of consciousness but I've gotta get this out somewhere.

First, the transferer's company had a name that screamed "Trump fanatic" - think something like "MAGA Firearms" - but they were the only ones close to my dad out in the boonies. When i pointed this out to my Trump-hating dad () he just said "it takes all types"

We scheduled for 1:00 on this guy's day off, I'm fortunate that i can usually bum off work whenever. My stupid dog decided to drink too much water and barf right before I had to leave though, so I rushed to get to my dad's in time only for the guy to keep delaying for about an hour. Not his fault really, but annoying.

He finally calls to say he's ready and we head out. We get there and he and his teenage son are not wearing masks. Thankfully the ATF apparently makes them do transfers outdoors because the guy complained about having a new office for the business and unable to use it. Whatever, my dad and i were both fully vaccinated and it wasn't worth pushing the issue for a five minute interaction.

The gun arrived disassembled so dad puts it together and we bullshit about Remington and their decline in quality control over the years and their bankruptcy. The guy helpfully informs us, "You know who bought them and bankrupted them and is dismantling them, right? It's that Soros guy, who believes in trying to make the One World Government"

(Editor's note: Remington was bought by Cerberus Capital Management in 2007, who loaded it up with debt buying other companies as Freedom Group, restructured and renamed as Remington Company in 2015, and declared bankruptcy in 2018 I think. At no point was George Soros ever significantly involved. The person who WAS involved is Steve Feinberg, who served on Trumps Security Advisory Council)

I figured it was bullshit but I did some quick googling right there while waiting for him to complete the other stuff, but ultimately decided not to challenge him because I Just Wanted To Get Out Of There.

We proceed to filling out paperwork, where he helpfully informs me that if I say "yes" to the question about being an immigrant "we're gonna have a problem"

Anyway he goes off to do the NICS check and somehow he managed to enter his password wrong three times and locks himself out. His son asks him if caps lock is on and he says "yeah it's on, the first letter is a capital" as he does the two-finger typing to enter it. Regardless, he's locked out now. He tries calling the ATF FFL help line and picks the wrong prompt (in his defense the situation was ambiguous). The annoyed official tells him to use the other prompt. He calls again, waiting through the menu options and rigamarole, selects the new prompt, and "this service is discontinued and no longer supported" and disconnects. He calls the number again, annoys another official, does it again, and again.

Then he calls his business partner and, on speakerphone, asks him his password and security questions to try and unlock his account. It's been half an hour at this point and a full hour and a half after I expected this transfer to be over. The attempt with the partner fails.

Thankfully the email reset he requested right after being locked out finally comes through. However he's apparently unable to read the temporary password and so has his son read it out to him. He's also been saying his name and other identifying information out loud talking to other agents so I could have probably accessed his account myself by this point.

We start filling out the online questionnaire and he emphasizes that "it's not me asking this, they are the ones doing it: what's your gender?" I give my response, and he adds "good, because if you said something different you wouldn't be leaving here with that gun"

(If you haven't seen the latest 4473, it now has Non-Binary in addition to Male/Female)

So anyway I get my "Proceed" and he gives us the transfer for no charge because of all the headaches and time wasted and we got the hell out of there

... but for MAGA Firearms, it was a Thursday.

(I'd say that he could never get the hang of Thursdays, but if I said that, MAGA wouldn't get it.)

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

DarkHorse posted:

Suppose that degree of incompetence is grounds to have the guy's FFL revoked?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

If you call the ATF I知 sure they値l send him a nastygram pretty quick, especially with his stuff about refusing the transfer without a legitimate reason.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Many Angry Gunowners Abound

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Depending on if he said anything that might be construable as a qanon terrorist threat, the FBI might be interested to know his location.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

If you call the ATF I知 sure they値l send him a nastygram pretty quick, especially with his stuff about refusing the transfer without a legitimate reason.

I'm sure just his utter incompetence and lack of security would be enough to get his FFL revoked. I don't think the ATF responds kindly to 'giving up your entire account information to strangers'.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

ishikabibble posted:

I'm sure just his utter incompetence and lack of security would be enough to get his FFL revoked. I don't think the ATF responds kindly to 'giving up your entire account information to strangers'.

True that. I just know from personal experience how quick they are on stuff where an FFL has a gun that is supposed to be transferred and isn稚 being transferred.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

holy wow, that was some bad newspapering, lol

But the good news is, I think they're one of the only progressive-ish British newspapers now. I haven't seen any TERFy poo poo from them, and I feel they cover transgender people news pretty fairly nowadays. They were not approving of JK Rowling's poison, for example.

Their biggest problem, though, is how many drat typos they have all the time. There's a reason their nickname is The Grauniad.

They are better, but I just have an instinctive gut reaction to all newspapers these days, but especially British ones. They have the most miserably cursed, braindead columnists on the planet. I think that op-eds in general must be a curse upon the world because they're always put out by the most Michael Tracey motherfuckers who style themselves as intellectuals, aren't nearly as smart as they think they are, and are about as great to be around as a funny car powered by high-octane farts.

And it sours my opinion on a paper's reporting as a whole when a paper will print something like 'Countries have different standards for workplace safety and that's OK' or 'maybe trans people should gently caress off and die ( but worded more politely ) beside whatever actual good reporting they do.

Related note: there are some independent journalists out there which have patreons. If you find one you like, you should absolutely float them a dollar or two a month.

DarkHorse posted:

As political as I am I can't imagine doing this level of fuckery in a business. I don't think even the dumbest hardcore tankie would be this overt. It's always this kind of dude.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Yeah but the guy's got your address and is clearly unhinged. The right thing to do probably isn't the most personally safe thing to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

As political as I am I can't imagine doing this level of fuckery in a business. I don't think even the dumbest hardcore tankie would be this overt. It's always this kind of dude.
Man, this is like turning the dial up 10% on most of the FFLs in my red, rural-ish area. The only thing that makes it unusual is all of it happening at once.