Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Artonos posted:

He's staring down a tag for the second year in a row. He might as well ask for the moon now. Him playing out this year tagged almost certainly will lead him to a mega contract in free agency next year wherever he wants to go.

Unless he plays kind of poorly and then gets hurt again.

Probably won't happen but feels like it's tempting fate to play out another season without your Goff/Wentz pay day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

fsif posted:

Probably won't happen but feels like it's tempting fate to play out another season without your Goff/Wentz pay day.

Even if the bolded is true, he’s been real good in the last and teams are hungry for QBs. Likely he still gets a juicy contract.

Ornery and Hornery fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Mar 3, 2021

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

fsif posted:

I mean Carson Wentz just fetched 2 seconds and he's been dogshit for awhile.

Dak would have to like have political opinions to not get loving paid next year.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Lmao at NFL contracts where Kyle Van Noy can sign a 4 year deal and get cut with basically zero downside after 1 year.

Yeah NFL contracts are such bullshit. I wish they were all fully guaranteed like the NHL. That way when your team makes a dumbass move like sign Goff or Wentz long term, they’re on the hook without any of this cut/trade/dead cap malarkey.

See: Erik Karlsson of the San Jose Sharks. They traded for him, signed him to an 8-year/$92M contract ($11.5M per year) with a full no-move clause. He’s the 4th highest paid player in the league and he immediately went to dogshit probably due to lingering injuries.

Teams can buy players out, but they gotta fork out a bunch of money then take a cap hit for a bunch of years (I don’t actually know the math behind this one).

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Yeah NFL contracts are such bullshit. I wish they were all fully guaranteed like the NHL. That way when your team makes a dumbass move like sign Goff or Wentz long term, they’re on the hook without any of this cut/trade/dead cap malarkey.

See: Erik Karlsson of the San Jose Sharks. They traded for him, signed him to an 8-year/$92M contract ($11.5M per year) with a full no-move clause. He’s the 4th highest paid player in the league and he immediately went to dogshit probably due to lingering injuries.

Teams can buy players out, but they gotta fork out a bunch of money then take a cap hit for a bunch of years (I don’t actually know the math behind this one).

Buyout is 2/3 of the remaining salary spread out over twice the remaining years. Karlsson has 6 years left after this so if they buy him out after the year he’ll be dead cap space until 2033. But any signing bonus is still paid in full so there are contracts that are structured as like 9 million in bonus and 1 million salary which are essentially buyout proof since you can only buyout the 1 million salary and owe the 9 regardless. Capfriendly has a nice buyout calculator showing how much the Sharks would save/owe on a Karlsson buyout https://www.capfriendly.com/buyout-calculator/erik-karlsson

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Lmao at NFL contracts where Kyle Van Noy can sign a 4 year deal and get cut with basically zero downside after 1 year.

They are a joke, but good for him for making 15 million for one year.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

ozymandius1024 posted:

They are a joke, but good for him for making 15 million for one year.

The other part of his “guarantees” are only “guaranteed” if he is in the roster. So they aren’t really “guaranteed” are they?

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

https://twitter.com/JJWatt/status/1367112474722525191

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The other part of his “guarantees” are only “guaranteed” if he is in the roster. So they aren’t really “guaranteed” are they?

The Athletic had a round table piece talking about Watt’s contract and when asked what people thought of the deal, Amy Trask’s response was something along the lines of “as a lawyer and former team exec, I won’t comment without actually seeing the contract because no one knows what guarantee actually means in a specific contract so it could be a steal either way depending on the wording.”

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

"This war is so loving illegal" - JJ Watt

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

:black101:
https://twitter.com/diannaESPN/status/1367152449631485957

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
What else did the head coach say in his texts

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

drat i didn't know jj watt was woke

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Amy Pole Her posted:

What else did the head coach say in his texts

At this year's draft a bunch of college kids are going to go pro.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Even if the bolded is true, he’s been real good in the last and teams are hungry for QBs. Likely he still gets a juicy contract.

You might be right.

Still, if he looks a little off coming off his last injury then immediately gets hurt again, a year from now we'll be like "well, it's been nearly two years since we've seen him play well and he can't stay on the field!" Outside of an MVP-type season, there's very little chance his value could go up to higher than where it currently is.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
JJ Watt is such a tool bag lol

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Nodoze posted:

JJ Watt is such a tool bag lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaSaxRLjQGY&t=98s

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
https://twitter.com/adamschefter/status/1367197647803678720?s=21

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
So now Snyder will pimp out guys and force them to take naked pictures that he’ll video tape too?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i don't know.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

fartknocker posted:

So now Snyder will pimp out guys and force them to take naked pictures that he’ll video tape too?

It's still harassment but it's no longer sexist! Progress!

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
I think WFT rebranding effort may have been the words that killed the last bit of nfl fandom I had.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

fartknocker posted:

No. Snyder is going to auction off the mens spots on the team, on the basis that there's only one changing room.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Clark Harris re-signs with a one-year deal to the Bengals. why even bother playing the loving season? Bengals are winning the Superbowl. The human jugs machine is going to long snap his way into the record books.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

The RapSheet leak is a team's last ditch effort to get value. He getting released.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1367202099080163335

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
More offensive linemen to free agency TIA.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I appreciate the posts about whoever Clark Harris is in not one but two of the threads I have bookmarked. It's important that it be disseminated as widely as possible.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Eifert Posting posted:

More offensive linemen to free agency TIA.

We agree!

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I'm not sure why you guys hate JJ Watt he's...fine? It's like you're worried he'd be a Wisconsin Chud but he doesn't seem to be. Who cares about JJ Watt or his number or that picture with Tilman's jersey who loving cares

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I don't hate Watt but he has a very corny affect where he seems to be waiting for the president to call him and tell him he is going to be a new GI Joe.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

sharknado slashfic posted:

I appreciate the posts about whoever Clark Harris is in not one but two of the threads I have bookmarked. It's important that it be disseminated as widely as possible.

He's made about 1700 long snaps and has not had a single bad one. He is literally perfect.

kiimo posted:

I'm not sure why you guys hate JJ Watt he's...fine? It's like you're worried he'd be a Wisconsin Chud but he doesn't seem to be. Who cares about JJ Watt or his number or that picture with Tilman's jersey who loving cares

He's just vapid and corporate op.

Tillman was killed by the US military due to gross incompetence, was given a Christian ceremony despite multiple expressed requests not to by several members of his direct family, and was used as a recruitment tool even as the military was actively suppressing what actually happened to him. He himself was extremely critical of his deployment and of the military in general by the time he died.

Maybe Watt knows all this but considering his background it definitely reads as oorah support are troops.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Mar 3, 2021

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Did Watt himself imply that he was going to some simple log cabin the woods to work out or was that just a media invention?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Eifert Posting posted:

He's made about 1700 long snaps and has not had a single bad one. He is literally perfect.

This is just begging for him to go full Trey Junkin at some point this year.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Cardinals used Frank Caliendo, Blake Shelton to recruit J.J. Watt

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

fartknocker posted:

This is just begging for him to go full Trey Junkin at some point this year.

I say this every year.

Back when I used to go to training camps I used to shout Clark Harris MVP at him whenever he came out on the field. The first couple years he would look around like "what the gently caress." after a while he just realized there's some crazy person who occasionally shouts that at him.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Did Watt himself imply that he was going to some simple log cabin the woods to work out or was that just a media invention?

I've always wondered this but never cared to ask. He's certainly treated like he said it but we know how that goes.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

This is what Watt originally said.

"It's really minimalistic. The only thing I have to focus on is training and that's the way I like it. There's no frills, there's nothing to distract you up here. It's just an empty space and a log cabin and snow."

this is the cabin

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

^you bastard

quote:

“It’s really minimalistic,” Watt said. “The only thing I have to focus on is training and that’s the way I like it. There’s no frills, there’s nothing to distract you up here.”

His description of his new offseason home: “It’s just an empty space and a log cabin and snow.”

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Ehud posted:

This is what Watt originally said.

"It's really minimalistic. The only thing I have to focus on is training and that's the way I like it. There's no frills, there's nothing to distract you up here. It's just an empty space and a log cabin and snow."

this is the cabin

Ok that’s what I figured but I didn’t know for sure. Yeah that’s a tool move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's the Russell Wilson effect. He's not someone you hate he's just vaguely annoying.

I would say Russell is worse actually cuz he pushed sham medicine.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Mar 3, 2021