Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

This paper called Fast Factoring Integers by SVP Algorithms is making the rounds that was given this statement in the precis, spelt "destroyes". Paper is fulla maths so it could be legit or just bullshit, I don't know.

What I do know is what RSA is -- that's one of the most common cryptography algorithms that protects a bunch of things from being hosed with by bad guys, most notably all your secure internet connections. The 's' in https, that padlock, that's more often than not RSA. The forums aren't, they're elliptic curve, which is different, but tons of sites use RSA, including Google. The way it works is that you generate two massive prime numbers, which is pretty easy for computers to do, and then you multiply them together, which is also very easy for computers to do. You keep those primes private, that's the private key. Then you publish the product of those primes, that's the public key. When someone wants to send you a message, they turn the message into a big number (data is already numbers in computers so that's free), and just calculate the that number to the power of the secret key. Now the only way to get it is to know the private key, or figure out the private key by trying to factorise a massive huge number.

This works because factorising is much much harder than multiplying, and these are huge numbers so that difference really matters. So this paper seems to claim they have a way for that not to be a thing, that would be uh, pretty bad, security wise. RSA is so old, it's basically everywhere, so there's a million places your identity, passwords, credit card, even your straight up money could get stolen. If someone intercepts your bank login, they can log in to your bank and transfer themselves all your money. This has been floated as a kind of Y2K style techno-apocalypse, quite a lot, but it was always like, "nah mathematicians are almost positive that it's impossible to factorise primes fast, at least without quantum computers, and they're years away, we have plenty of time." It would be pretty crazy if they were wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

low key sex master posted:

I've read this post top to bottom like five times and have absolutely no idea what the hell it's about

Like there's some mathematical formula that will kill cryptology or something? Am I close? The first sentence alone is :psyduck:

Yeah, maybe, or it could be like a timecube guy.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Three Olives posted:

Just imagine believing that RSA hasn't been severely compromised by the NSA for at least two decades when they went from gently caress RSA to RSA FOR EVERYONE, IT'S ALL COOL NOW!

Everyone that has paid any attention to RSA at all knows it was obviously severely compromised and just a matter of time before the shoe dropped.

edit: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...EA2U0TY20140331

This is pretty terrifying poo poo. I heard about the NSA trying to trick or legislate dumb dumbs into using their terrible schemes with back doors but it always seemed comically inept and obvious. That they’d plant poo poo into security companies is pretty gross.