Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Sindai posted:

I remember that picture but not what series it's from either. I need to know.

It's not super old because I only started watching fansubs as the bittorrent era began but that doesn't narrow it down much.

Search says episode 14 of Paniponi Dash!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
Still have my giant spindle of carefully alphabetized CD-Rs sitting in my desk. Let's look at a selection.

Digimon Frontier was the first anime I watched via online methods. Only the first two episodes were subbed back then.

Here's back before everyone knew what a Fate series was.

I think around when Nanoha aired is when fansubs were pretty much the same between groups? Karaoke OP/ED, similar font styling for readability, no more screaming about Miami Mike.

Good ol' translator notes. I also like how the founder of the group gave themselves the label here.

I think the latest series I have on the spindle is a few eps of Digimon Savers, before I moved to backing everything up onto a external HDD instead. Don't feel like pulling that out, since a lot are of the not-fansubbed variety. I do remember the Bleach episodes I have being super inconsistent in OP/ED lyrics since it was done by ear until the CDs released, and there'd be a lot of changes.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Miami mike ate my balls

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
People say fansubs in the 90's had superfluous swearing. I say, did you watch the OVAs that got dubbed into English? Holy poo poo, there are a gently caress-ton of swears.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Edward Mass posted:

People say fansubs in the 90's had superfluous swearing.

https://twitter.com/BigOnAnime/status/1340872283842342913

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Still looking for my old stuff, but here's more that I was able to dig up. KariOhki, your sub of Nanoha seems to be the same group that did the A's fansub I have. You gotta post the screenshots in their original resolution for the full effect!

Kokoro Library

Uta Kata, which was a weird show but had a really good soundtrack from what I remember.

Found the Chrono Trigger OVA too

Also found this commercial for Omochabox that aired here.

http://burningjustice.net/animu/omochaboxCM3.mpg

What I'm incredibly psyched about is I found the original quality vectored Flash files for the Glove on Fight trailer, a fighting game by French Bread before Melty Blood. They're executables, but they're from 2001 so they're probably not going to take over your computer. It rules, it's a boxing game where you can beat the poo poo out of Ciel from Tsukihime as Ayu from Kanon, or pit Ecoco, the mascot of the Tohoku Electric Power Company against Dejiko in a bare-knuckle fist fight.

http://burningjustice.net/animu/GloveOnFight.exe
http://burningjustice.net/animu/GloveOnFight2.exe

XboxPants posted:

It's nice that subs of every show are just ubiquitous now and usually even legally available, but it annoys the poo poo outta me that this means we don't get karaoke or even basic lyrics in the OP/ED anymore. What's the deal with that anyway, I assume it's some kinda rights bs?

I prefer none at all but don't have an issue with it if it's not flashy and annoying. Some groups got really dumb with it, like I remember a sub of Karin having bats fly in from offscreen to make the lyrics. This one from OverDrive is less bad, but do we really need the subtitles to transform into bicycle wheels?

http://burningjustice.net/animu/overdrive_op.avi

TenementFunster posted:

coxswain balls i’m sorry for Being Me in your thread, but speaking of molesting at dragoncon, if you guys haven’t heard the Weeb Wars episodes of ALAB, you’re really missing out: https://m.soundcloud.com/alabpodcast/episode-4-weeb-wars-pt-1 e: shoutout to The Helldude for coming RIGHT out of the gate with a great anime take. I'm the Helldude.

Buddy you should nevah apologize for being you. Finally got around to listening and it's great, I heard stuff about the Vic thing but never cared enough to look into it further, the whole things sounds like such a mess. Way more enjoyable to hear about it from actual lawyers than Twitter people.

Vic and Greg Ayres were the first guests the con I used to work for had like fifteen years ago, and while Greg was cool to hang out with Vic felt a bit off. It wasn't until after we learned about the creeper stuff, which might be why he was never invited back.

Coxswain Balls fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Mar 8, 2021

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Nemo2342 posted:

Search says episode 14 of Paniponi Dash!
Yeah, it has some strong Paniponi Dash energy, that show was loaded with references. Fansubs would come with a text file of all of the references by the end of the series, so much stuff was flying around the screen and there would be stuff on the blackboard for 2 seconds so they needed a separate file to keep up with everything.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Still no luck with the discs, but I found the files I used to make the jewel cases for Martian Successor Kidō Senkan Nadesico before I knew about things like aspect ratios. Luckily archive.org had a copy of Adaptec EZ CD Label Creator from 1999 I could use to open them.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

Coxswain Balls posted:

KariOhki, your sub of Nanoha seems to be the same group that did the A's fansub I have. You gotta post the screenshots in their original resolution for the full effect!

I honestly forgot that VLC had a screenshot button and just used my usual print screen program with the video player full screened. I will say that when opening the files, they were expectedly stamp-sized.

Love the jewel case covers for Nadesico. I never got that deep into my labeling, since I just left everything on the spindle with the titles and episodes written on the discs in sharpie.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
tied with “keikaku” and “bento” among japanese words that send me into a copypasta fugue state

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

This is heartwarming for real tho

refund the fansub money to the people you owe!!!!

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Schwarzwald posted:

This is heartwarming for real tho

refund the fansub money to the people you owe!!!!

I doubt Ann Coulter will give that money back.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

found this in a dark corner of my NAS, in a folder called "ancient funnies". granted this is a circa 2003 dvdrip and not technically a fansub but i never thought there was much of a difference myself. that was a big cause for flamewars back in those days though, a lot of fansubbers absolutely didn't want to consider what they were doing as piracy. there were ethical codes and poo poo, like dropping a show when it was announced that it had been licensed for release in the us (on dvd, usually well over a year later).

i was active as a fansubber circa 2005-2011, ish, so i've seen some poo poo. i stopped watching anime before i stopped fansubbing though, and i've deleted almost every trace of that era because it was stupid and i have no desire to be nostalgic about it. i've kept a lot of very old irc chatlogs for some reason but i'm not going to go dig through those.

video quality was just generally terrible for a very long time, btw. even in the dvd era a lot of anime just looked awful because of a variety of issues, many related to godawful analog to digital transfers. it didn't start to become consistently decent until like 2008, which is the point when analog transfers were finally dying off completely and fansubbers started having direct access to all-digital HDTV capture equipment in japan.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Mar 17, 2021

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

The United States posted:

I mean it's something fansubs included that official releases did not (for obvious reasons)

Actually, official releases tend to have those intermissions, it's just that you get them without the sponsors text overlay. They're seen mostly on physical media, or specific stuff that uses it for gags, like Gintama.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Yeah official releases always kept the intermissions. It's usually end of episode sponsor screens or art bits that would sometimes not make US physical releases

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
Despite owning DVDs, I keep this Samurai Champloo fansub around because it's so informative.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Brutakas posted:

Despite owning DVDs, I keep this Samurai Champloo fansub around because it's so informative.

i never thought i’d miss TL Notes

“keikaku” means “plan”

Y
Sep 29, 2004

it's time to step up

My other favorite example of this are the Gundam Seed subbers desperately trying to guess how to spell the characters' names, updating it each episode.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Don't have any pics but my favourite old sub mistake was the main group doing Grungrave as it aired back in had the mutant serum being named 'Speriole' for 20 odd episodes until an episode title, which were written in English, showed that it was actually just a Japanese pronunciation mangling of 'superior'.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

A scanlation not a fansub but:

edit:

Also, I feel like people used to be a lot more playful with subs. You only ever see the wacky bouncing around subs for openings these days

Example, although this wouldnt count as olden days
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ9ZWo9BUOw&t=133s

Meme Emulator fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Mar 24, 2021

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Y posted:

My other favorite example of this are the Gundam Seed subbers desperately trying to guess how to spell the characters' names, updating it each episode.

Everybody loves Lux-sama

Extremely good guess when the character said "Garderobe"

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

It's been a while but I feel like I remember Seed having especially ridiculous names even for a Gundam series. It must've been fun guessing.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
It had tricky names but what made it even messier is English writing would show up in the show itself or on things like their official websites, so you'd get arguments between what it sounded like, what the translation of the Japanese written name would come out as, and the 'official' English versions they made themselves

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I was so annoyed at how the fansubbers translated Signum's sword as Levantine in Nanoha A's when it's obviously supposed to be Lævateinn. Learn some mythology scrubs, it even speaks in German for Christ's sake.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I remember Raising Heart VS Raging Heart being a debate for however long it took someone to actually look it up.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
It's Giga Drill BreakER and no "official" translation can tell me otherwise.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Sakurazuka posted:

Don't have any pics but my favourite old sub mistake was the main group doing Grungrave as it aired back in had the mutant serum being named 'Speriole' for 20 odd episodes until an episode title, which were written in English, showed that it was actually just a Japanese pronunciation mangling of 'superior'.
mf said “grungrave”

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Mr_Schmoo posted:

Imagine it’s the late 90’s and you love anime. You correct people who say “Japanimation” or “read an anime”. You met your friends at Suncoast or Borders. Pocky is new to you. You and other otaku get together once a week and sit around your huge & heavy TV then press play on your VCR without any clue of what you are about to watch, or if it will even work. While you have moved on from anime, your spouse has not and continued to buy tapes, scrolls, figures, models, etc.

Now imagine it’s decades later and you have 600-700 anime tapes in your basement.

I’m offering all of these VHS's for free. About half of them are legit, factory tapes. These are 13 tapes here per column. There are more bins. A majority of these were viewed once.

The other half, fansubs brought at conventions and elsewhere. These go back three rows.

But that’s not all. You’ll get posters, some figures (note, maybe not these, but others) and models (TBD later). All free!

You also get two VCR’s for free! One of them breaks? Your local thrift shop will have another one waiting for you.

Here are the rules:

* We will not separate titles. We were going to throw all this out, but really we wanted to see if anyone would be interested in taking the whole thing and not letting it go to waste. Let’s say you have an anime club or are just a crazy person. We’re good with whatever.

* I cannot guarantee the quality of any tape. Some may not actually work, or never worked. The factory tapes should be good, but the fansubs maybe not. I will say that many of them are unique to watch as they mock other subbers, call you an rear end in a top hat for buying a tape at Octopus Kingdom and so on. Some were recorded from directly from TV and have the time in the upper right hand corner.

* We live close to New York City. If you are in that area or wish to drive and pick them up, it’s preferred. Shipping will be expensive for you.

* This includes all the tapes as well as a good number of anime action figures and models. I do not know the specifics, but you will get a ton of free stuff.

* If you pick it up, you’ll get everything offered, free bins, as much help as possible loading it, and a good dinner or lunch with drinks if you chose.

I know this is ridiculous and we’re probably going to throw everything out. I was just putting this out there to see if anyone would be interested. Mock away.

You can post here or DM me directly if you are interested.
this is the library of gen x weeb alexanderia

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
I guess I missed out on some of that drama back then. The Duffies (Tomodachi Anime) were extremely chill and friendly. When they completed their marathon translation for the last cour of Fushigi Yuugi, they invited a few dozen folks over to Portland to watch, nerd out, and enjoy the end of the series.

Haha, the poo poo you forget after a couple decades. I tried a Google image search, and had totally forgotten about this drama before posting.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
For every character in Bleach there were about 10 different ways to spell their name.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Bell_ posted:

Haha, the poo poo you forget after a couple decades. I tried a Google image search, and had totally forgotten about this drama before posting.
say it aint so, Central Anime!

Mr_Schmoo
Dec 10, 2002

These are old caps (see below for an idea of how old)

Hope he’s OK

Old subbers loved complaining. Could a bad tape actually ruin your VCR?

Same thing, different group.

Yikes

Sometimes, your tapes would have commercials. Not sure if these translations are legit.

Some various intro screens.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I know Arctic Animation had a few series where the used Japanese grocery store tapes as the source and kept the commercials in which was always a trip.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I wonder how Jerry-sama is doing these days.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Mr_Schmoo posted:

These are old caps (see below for an idea of how old)

I wonder if any of these Vancouver weebs are still around

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

God drat those are amazing, and I hope they get archived. I love how openly petty fansubbers used to be.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I know Arctic Animation had a few series where the used Japanese grocery store tapes as the source and kept the commercials in which was always a trip.

Leaving commercials in, and subbing them, was the best part of subbing well into the 2010s.

For added layers later on (2006 or 2007+), I'd also suggest opening softsubs in Aegisub and seeing what hidden notes were left for the attentive. I think I was the most enthusiastic proponent of almost writing liner notes in there, but I'd guess a lot of groups didn't programmatically strip out everything until late in the game, and only then if they were total killjoys.

E: for VHS memories, though: the Central Anime (I'm 99% sure, 20 years later) Nadesico subs that handled English dialog in the show by subbing it in romanized Japanese. There's something about that reversal that's always been inspiring, though I've never had to deal with a Video Toaster except playing around internally, and thus could always go full kanji while doing the same thing.

Mandoric fucked around with this message at 08:26 on May 3, 2021

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Long ago a fansubbed version of GiTS:Innocence helped me understand just what the hell was going on in that movie without having to get a PhD in philosophy. The TL notes for that movie were incredibly well researched and informative and must have taken forever to get right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Mr_Schmoo posted:

Sometimes, your tapes would have commercials. Not sure if these translations are legit.

Hell yeah this is what I miss the most