Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
This loving rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
frnfreilflifhnveuilrnuv

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Loving this match

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
bit on that gedo clutch

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

What the gently caress Goto! :stonk:

HE KICKED OUT! :derp:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
ARGH COME ON TAICHI

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Taichi's loving dead, dead as my New Japan bracket :stare:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
nooooo

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
noooo

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

That was fantastic

Sad about taichi losing tho

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
:rip: Taichi, his only weakness is dads.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Taichi... you were meant to avenge your friend... :negative:

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
cant believe i didnt witness goto choke

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
https://twitter.com/njpwworld/status/1367775084119683072?s=21

Tana being SO MAD that there’s someone more ripped than him is delightful

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Oh my god Taichi is still trying to fight :syoon:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I'm 1/4 on my bracket this is a disaster :negative:

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
now its up to ZSJ to avenge his friend who was trying to avenge his friend

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Seams posted:

now its up to ZSJ to avenge his friend who was trying to avenge his friend

Its avenge all the way down :hai:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Luckily Minoru Suzuki is in this quadrant so all we need for him to get revenge on Goto is for Goto to beat Kazuchika Okada

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rarity posted:

Luckily Minoru Suzuki is in this quadrant so all we need for him to get revenge on Goto is for Goto to beat Kazuchika Okada

He's nearly done it before and he can nearly do it again!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Jerusalem posted:

He's nearly done it before and he can nearly do it again!

5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th 11th time's the charm!

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
This is Goto's year, mark my words. Note that he didn't lose to the choke, and as such he's eliminated his main weakness.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

perfect bracket

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Cerebral Bore posted:

This is Goto's year, mark my words. Note that he didn't lose to the choke, and as such he's eliminated his main weakness.

Taichi's just not as good at choking as Goto is

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

3026 fans in attendance so 200 fewer than Stardom drew with Tam Nakano vs Giulia and over 1000 fewer than NOAH drew with Keiji Mutoh vs Go Shiozaki.

That is hilarious.

In a normal year they'd have done what, 5,000 for the Anniversary Show at Ota City Gym?

At some point Nooj gonna have to accept that they do not have the roster depth to run all the shows they want to. Back to back Osaka Jo Halls, 2 Dome shows in 2 weeks in the Tokyo area. It's very ambitious.

I get the reason behind it, they aren't making as much money as usual, but at some point Korakuen shows with 200 people in attendance is a terrible look. Not to mention that in the medium to long term it could have an impact on people's faith in NJPW delivering shows of a calibre that justifies the entrance price. One thing to watch Castle Attack Night 1 when you pay $10 a month and another to pay ¥4,500 to attend in person.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Castle Attack Night 1 ended up better than expected looking at the card in advance so perhaps not the best example to use there

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Rarity posted:

Castle Attack Night 1 ended up better than expected looking at the card in advance so perhaps not the best example to use there

Better than expected was still thoroughly mediocre. I dunno, £30 seems a lot to me to watch Ishii vs White and nothing else, well, I guess possibly the worst New Japan match since Jado vs Yano is something.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Ishii vs White was arguably the best match of the year so far though.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

forkboy84 posted:

Better than expected was still thoroughly mediocre. I dunno, £30 seems a lot to me to watch Ishii vs White and nothing else, well, I guess possibly the worst New Japan match since Jado vs Yano is something.

My point is that if you're already happy to pay 30 quid based on that card you'd have come away satisfied with your purchase.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Rarity posted:

My point is that if you're already happy to pay 30 quid based on that card you'd have come away satisfied with your purchase.

Yeah and my point is that an awful lot of people didn't buy a ticket in the first place because it did under 2,000 people, which they could have fit into the presumably cheaper to hire EDION Arena 1 even with COVID restrictions. (NJPW ran there for the G1 last year and did over 2,600 in it)

I'm not arguing the company is financially doomed, just that there are signs of diminishing returns from their COVID era schedule and booking. That's one of the reliefs of NJ Cup, they get away from the areas they've run into the ground through January and February

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

God drat Taichi vs Goto was absolutely slammin

forkboy84 posted:

Yeah and my point is that an awful lot of people didn't buy a ticket in the first place because it did under 2,000 people, which they could have fit into the presumably cheaper to hire EDION Arena 1 even with COVID restrictions. (NJPW ran there for the G1 last year and did over 2,600 in it)

Yep, it was a terrible card on paper, and it being really quite good in execution didn’t sell a single ticket more. It would have been incredibly easy to put together a more exciting Day 1 card with the talent they have, but for whatever reason they chose not to.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

forkboy84 posted:

That is hilarious.

In a normal year they'd have done what, 5,000 for the Anniversary Show at Ota City Gym?

At some point Nooj gonna have to accept that they do not have the roster depth to run all the shows they want to. Back to back Osaka Jo Halls, 2 Dome shows in 2 weeks in the Tokyo area. It's very ambitious.

I get the reason behind it, they aren't making as much money as usual, but at some point Korakuen shows with 200 people in attendance is a terrible look. Not to mention that in the medium to long term it could have an impact on people's faith in NJPW delivering shows of a calibre that justifies the entrance price. One thing to watch Castle Attack Night 1 when you pay $10 a month and another to pay ¥4,500 to attend in person.

Ota fits 4k on the dot depending on configuration. Since they started giving real attendance they have drawn 4k for White v Ospreay, 3.8k for Okada v Ospreay, 3.9k for Okada v Tiger Mask W and a little under 2.9k for the first round of the nj cup in 2019 which functioned in this role

I don't think what they drew at Budoken on a weekday during a pandemic with a pretty slapped together card is really all that bad ??? Hiromu would have been worth at least a few more fans but you gotta work with what you are dealt.

If anything there is a bit of encouragement to actually build the juniors a bit more because it's really a division of 1 right now. We can talk over saturation (they run a show every 3 days in Tokyo during February) but I'm not seeing the anniversary show as a bad gate all things considered.

Burn Down Canberra fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 5, 2021

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Dave's reporting that Okada's got two slipped discs in his back which is why he's been working so light the last few months. Seriously dude just take a break, getting yourself sorted out has more value for New Japan then spending months feuding with Yujiro

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

How good are his sources here because he was moving ok and bumping normal in the singles match against evil. I can't remember any spots they pulled back on. They did the railing spot where evil kills the time keeper right ?

Sure Okada could be getting needled but it just doesn't seem likely he could wrestle at that level with slipped discs.

I'm not a doctor though and I know wrestlers are all maniacs.

Edit

The really cool tope spot he did against ospreay at kingdom was with an injured back??? Like that's ridiculous

Burn Down Canberra fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Mar 5, 2021

afatwhiteloaf
Oct 19, 2012
Kurt Angle won an Olympic gold medal with a broken neck.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

afatwhiteloaf posted:

Kurt Angle won an Olympic gold medal with a broken freakin' neck.

Ftfy

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

taichi vs. goto was outstanding even tho i was rooting for the guy who lost

tomorrow's card from the traditional anniversary day and venue:

NEW JAPAN CUP 2021
March 6th at 3:00 EST/8:00 GMT/17:00 JST
Ota-ku General Gymnasium

Toa Henare, David Finlay, and Yuya Uemura vs. Bullet Club (Jay White, Chase Owens, and Taiji Ishimori)
L.I.J (Tetsuya Naito, SANADA, and BUSHI) vs. United Empire (Great-O-Khan, Will Ospreay, and Jeff Cobb)
New Japan Cup 2021 Round 1:Tomoaki Honma vs. Minoru Suzuki
New Japan Cup 2021 Round 1:Juice Robinson vs. KENTA
New Japan Cup 2021 Round 1:Kazuchika Okada vs. Shingo Takagi

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
maybe shingo will win so lil Kazu can fix his back

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Seams posted:

maybe shingo will win so lil Kazu can fix his back

Maybe. But they'll probably have Ospreay vs Kazu in the Finals so Ospreay can get his win back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Maybe Shingo will lariat Okadas back all better