Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
That's you making GBS threads out all the bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Rytheric posted:

I will look into that, but is there an alternative for rice?

When I was testing things when I first became diabetic, I tested how my body responded to my lentil medley which included brown rice and my blood sugar spiked to 213 after an hour. A large little Caesars pizza for comparison spikes it to 256 and knocks me out to the point I need to take a nap.

My normal blood sugar is roughly 135. Drops to 116 after a 24 hours fast. I also find that the glycemic index works. So if there is a low glycemic rice alternative that would be great.

Edit: now that I reflect on it, my tests are the reason I started downing buckets of chicken as the chicken would only spike my blood sugar to 160. The Mac n cheese I added last month probably didn't help my diabetes though.

Barley apparently has a super-low glycemic index, and you can make a simple but very tasty barley stew by boiling it with a ham hock and some vegetables.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/diseases-and-conditions/glycemic-index-and-glycemic-load-for-100-foods

For bread, maybe try pumpernickel or something similar, that's really grainy. I'm pretty sure that's what they mean on that list by "specialty grain bread".

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Rytheric posted:

These salads are doing a number on me lol. Think I'm having to use the restroom every 3 hours or so.

That's called fiber, you're making GBS threads out all the garbage and grease you've been stuffing your face with.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth
One idea for both your grains diversity and overall diet is an instant pot. Since they plug into the wall they're more portable than something like a stovetop or oven, although they may draw more current than your current setup can easily supply.

They make cooking grains like barley much, much easier and faster than stovetop or campfire cooking and you can use the sautee function as an (imperfect) substitute for a frying pan if needed. They make cooking dried beans a 30 minute affair rather than soaking + hours of cooking too, I think they're a good idea for the kind of van living you're looking at.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

Rytheric posted:

Think I'm having to use the restroom every 3 hours or so.

This is an extremely normal amount of having to use the restroom fyi

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Hi Ry, just dropping in to say I am glad you are doing better on the eating unhealthy stuff front. Also I didn't get to mention before the other thread got sent to heaven, but good on you for getting the exhaust fixed. I know we were really pushy about it, but over the next month or so, not inhaling CO, coupled with the dietary changes, you're gonna start feeling a hell of a lot better. Stick to it man, like corgski said, we want you to succeed and not die.

As someone who lives alone I find myself frequently confronted with the conundrum of not being able to buy most things in single-person quantities, and if one isn't careful, this can result in a distressing amount of wasted food and as a consequence, money. Sometimes it is cheaper to buy the smaller quantity of something. Milk, as an example for this, another 30 cents buys you twice as much milk, but then you end up using half and paying the extra 30 cents every time. Obviously the price difference isn't always 30 cents, but I hope you understand what I mean.

Another way to combat that is to cook family-size amounts of food and eat the same thing for dinner for several days. For example, I made 4L of parsnip and butternut squash soup earlier in the week and 1kg of chili-con-carne-style taco beef on Wednesday. Lunch today was the third of 8 500mL of the soup, and dinner was three tacos, each using 100g of beef, all the baby spinach I could stuff into them, a goonly amount of cheese, and sour cream. I make the taco seasoning myself and put 3/4tsp of salt into it, and the 4L of soup was seasoned with about 2tsp of salt.

Look into solar, you got a nice bit of roof area on the top of the truck and could easily support several kilowatts of panels. Sometimes on CL you can get those cheap but aliexpress is also where most solar suppliers buy from so you can cut out the middle-man and save literally thousands on a solar setup. CSB from the other thread has a bitching solar setup on his camper that is more than able to run all of this stuff without the need for shore power almost all of the time.

As for the making GBS threads, you've eaten more roughage in the last two days than the last two months, this was going to happen.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Mar 6, 2021

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Fermented Tinal posted:

Another way to combat that is to cook family-size amounts of food and eat the same thing for dinner for several days. For example, I made 4L of parsnip and butternut squash soup earlier in the week and 1kg of chili-con-carne-style taco beef on Wednesday. Lunch today was the third of 8 500mL of the soup, and dinner was three tacos, each using 100g of beef, all the baby spinach I could stuff into them, a goonly amount of cheese, and sour cream. I make the taco seasoning myself and put 3/4tsp of salt into it, and the 4L of soup was seasoned with about 2tsp of salt.

This is what I generally do myself. I spent twenty bucks at the restaurant supply store for a case of 2 cup delitainers, and just portion out whatever I don't eat, label it, and huck it in the freezer to become take to work or lazy cooking night options.

pantsfree
Oct 22, 2012
If you’re looking for rice alternatives, in addition to the already suggested quinoa, I’d recommend bulgur wheat and pearl barley. Both are easy to prepare and have a much lower GI than rice, and are delicious. There are loads of easy salads and side recipes that incorporate them, too.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Now imaging if you will that next to the scrap wood shoe matt (damn right im going to have people kick off their shoes before entering my tiny home) a rocking chair or camping chair, and then beside that a small grill or sawn off 55-gallon barrel sitting on top of a wire spool.
Totally didn't see a second page come up. So im definitely addicted to salt for some reason. Yesterday I ate two sausage mcmuffins. Two chopt salads. Then at night I had 4 double cheese burgers from McDonald's. Normally I eat them plain but I was craving the ketchup, mustard, pickle, and onions which I thought was just me craving more vegetables on top of something I normally ate, but later donned on me that I was craving the salt. That's 6000mg sodium. 2000 in the morning 4000 at night. Better than 10,000. Cholesterol is much much less than I was eating though.

Trying to sync my schedule up tomorrow with the whole foods hot bar. I am hoping that making the hot bar a habit will encourage me to buy other things in the grocery. Going out the a cidery tonight with co-workers so my diet will be slightly off again tonight.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

:wtc:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
salt is like sugar in that once you get used to eating a lot of salt it becomes desirable to eat more and things taste bland without. step back for a while and you will reset your tastebuds.

this isn’t reinforced biochemically like the human response to sugar is, it’s mostly a mental thing.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Now imaging if you will that next to the scrap wood shoe matt (damn right im going to have people kick off their shoes before entering my tiny home) a rocking chair or camping chair, and then beside that a small grill or sawn off 55-gallon barrel sitting on top of a wire spool.
So my father has worse health than me for example his diabetes is further along than mine and he lost all his teeth and almost lost his feet from it; however, he has a wife that tries to take care of him.

He switched to veganism, not just the diet, a few weeks ago and has dropped considerable weight. He was using brown rice though which isn't good for his diabetes. He is no longer on insulin however it's still a problem (he was waking up every 2-3 hours in the night to pee out sugar and waste). I told him yall suggestions and he is going to look into it as well. So yall are helping more than just me here. Thanks.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Peeing all the time is a sign of high blood sugar. Your dad needs to test his sugars regularly if he's peeing all the time.

It takes about 7-10 days of removing something from your diet to reset it so maybe stop eating mackdowells And kfc a the time. It tastes great because it has more salt and fat than other foods.

Eating well requires effort and forethought. While you're still living in a home start working on meal planning etc. Cook a bunch on your off day while playing toilet eve. Portion up your food and eat it for the week.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

tater_salad posted:

Peeing all the time is a sign of high blood sugar. Your dad needs to test his sugars regularly if he's peeing all the time.

It takes about 7-10 days of removing something from your diet to reset it so maybe stop eating mackdowells And kfc a the time. It tastes great because it has more salt and fat than other foods.

Eating well requires effort and forethought. While you're still living in a home start working on meal planning etc. Cook a bunch on your off day while playing toilet eve. Portion up your food and eat it for the week.

Unfortunately I haven't had an off day for a while. While I was getting distracted from buying the property I had to make up the lost hours over the weekend. I may have a day off tomorrow though to focus on things.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

Getting medication for your ADHD will probably help with not becoming completely out-of-your-mind overwhelmed by intense junk food cravings.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Everett False posted:

Getting medication for your ADHD will probably help with not becoming completely out-of-your-mind overwhelmed by intense junk food cravings.

Depending on the medication you take yeah, methylphenidate (ritalin) has a very common side effect of suppressing appetite.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

So I already got two sausage mcmuffins for breakfast so I'm off to a bad start this morning, but I was just in time to try the whole foods hotbar.

Here I got 4 drumlets (2 general tsos may favorite and 2 curry). Lots of garliced green beans, broccoli, some potatoes, carrots, mashed yams and some pulled pork. Looks good. May be better than the 9 piece dark bucket I would have gotten and around the same price.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Please see a therapist Ry. You have far more deep-seated issues than diet.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Is this just gonna be another topic where you flagrantly disregard the high-effort advice everyone is giving you? At some point this whole thing is performative - as if putting your own name in the title twice wasn’t already a giveaway.

Seriously, start with a therapist.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\
But also, that whole foods lunch is a shitton better than a 9 piece bucket.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Spookydonut posted:

Depending on the medication you take yeah, methylphenidate (ritalin) has a very common side effect of suppressing appetite.

I'm in an unmedicated glass house here, I've just been told that medication helps with whatever chemical imbalance makes you eat a good food and go, "oh! this is the only thing I'm going to eat for every meal for at least the next two weeks, but possibly for as long as I can get away with it." Or whatever it is that makes you suddenly crave a certain, very specific food, and until you get that food it just starts taking up more and more of your brainspace until all you can think about is how badly you want a McGriddle for some goddamn reason and none of your homemade breakfast sandwiches are cutting it.

Fortunately for me (kinda), I tend to eat nothing but caprese for weeks at a time rather than KFC. But if Ry can't find a healthier food that trips his "this is all I want to eat now" button, being unmedicated is going to be a constant source of self-sabotage.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

I'm following advice. Things take time to change. Thr problem with the last thread was that there wasn't enough time to see that I was taken in advice before people had assumed I hadn't.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

AdmiralViscen posted:

Is this just gonna be another topic where you flagrantly disregard the high-effort advice everyone is giving you? At some point this whole thing is performative - as if putting your own name in the title twice wasn’t already a giveaway.

Seriously, start with a therapist.

This.

It was funny for a week or two. Now it's just a sad cry for attention.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

mediaphage posted:

salt is like sugar in that once you get used to eating a lot of salt it becomes desirable to eat more and things taste bland without. step back for a while and you will reset your tastebuds.

this isn’t reinforced biochemically like the human response to sugar is, it’s mostly a mental thing.

Yeah this. I've known people who ate no salt at all for a month for shamanic reasons or something, and at the end they found even the tiniest amount of salt was enough for them.

Ry, if you make your own food, there are things you can add that will scratch the salt itch, like garlic or low-sodium salt.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Lead out in cuffs posted:

if you make your own food

He doesn't, and he hasn't really elucidated why.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

The hot bar food was great. Some of my favorite foods are green beans, sweet peas, and broccoli. So it was nice.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Drone posted:

Just mainly it's fallen out of habit and stress at work. I use to cook in college. But it was more bodybuilding type meals. Bacon eggs toast, salad for lunch, then chicken or hamburger, rice, and broccoli for dinner everyday.

I fell out of it cause I was on the road all the time and couldn't keep it. My fruit and stuff would all rot in the summer. Then when I started office work I felt I couldn't keep on top of things if I took time to wait in line to shop then spend an hour or so cooking compared to just driving up to a window and getting it.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Drone posted:

He said he's working seven-day weeks or something. Also IIRC he literally has no means of cooking right now?

Ry, isn't your boss renting you a room? Can you use the kitchen?

And the suggestion another goon made of getting an instant pot is a good one. They're not particularly expensive (compared to what you're spending on fast food), and will allow you to make healthy meals with very minimal hands-on time.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

He said he's working seven-day weeks or something. Also IIRC he literally has no means of cooking right now?

Ry, isn't your boss renting you a room? Can you use the kitchen?

And the suggestion another goon made of getting an instant pot is a good one. They're not particularly expensive (compared to what you're spending on fast food), and will allow you to make healthy meals with very minimal hands-on time.

I can, but I'm discouraged from doing so. Not by my boss, but from his fiance. I had 3 shacker cups in the fridge and she acted like that was too much of the fridge space taken up.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Rytheric posted:

But it was more bodybuilding type meals. Bacon eggs toast, salad for lunch, then chicken or hamburger, rice, and broccoli for dinner everyday.

Literally all of that is light-years healthier than what you eat now.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Rytheric posted:

I can, but I'm discouraged from doing so. Not by my boss, but from his fiance. I had 3 shacker cups in the fridge and she acted like that was too much of the fridge space taken up.

Leave this environment and get a real apartment, your boss is abusing you in multiple ways

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Rytheric posted:

Just mainly it's fallen out of habit and stress at work. I use to cook in college. But it was more bodybuilding type meals. Bacon eggs toast, salad for lunch, then chicken or hamburger, rice, and broccoli for dinner everyday.

I fell out of it cause I was on the road all the time and couldn't keep it. My fruit and stuff would all rot in the summer. Then when I started office work I felt I couldn't keep on top of things if I took time to wait in line to shop then spend an hour or so cooking compared to just driving up to a window and getting it.

So the trick to dealing with this is to take 30 minutes on the weekend to make a meal plan for the week, and then do one shopping trip (or online grocery order) for the whole week. You can make this even simpler by assigning the same meal to the same day every week, like Wednesday is always barley stew night, Tuesday is tacos, or whatever. That way most of your grocery shopping will be the same week to week, which will make it quicker.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

He doesn't own a fridge and hasn't in years, despite making an above-average income.

Meal prep might be kinda difficult until he gets the rest of *waves hands* all this sorted out.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Rytheric posted:

So you have two options:

1. Have a very frank but gentle discussion with your boss and his fiance together about how you are eating fast food all the time and will literally die if you keep doing that. Then ask, gently, to be able to use the kitchen. Offer to set up and abide by rules around this - this is how much fridge space you can take, dishes get cleaned immediately after they're used, etc.

2. Move the gently caress out and get your own place. And not your loving box truck.

Seriously, how much is this guy paying you for working seven day weeks?

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Drone posted:

He doesn't own a fridge and hasn't in years, despite making an above-average income.

Meal prep might be kinda difficult until he gets the rest of *waves hands* all this sorted out.

Yeah I was going to get a mini fridge for my room at one point so they had less to complain about. I might get a 12v cooler and hotplate or 12v sauce pan after I get my suspension fixed and upgrade from there as necessary.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Ry: I absolutely will not eat brown rice, too high on glycemic index!!!

Also Ry: eats 2 mcsausages and 4 double cheeseburgers daily.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Big Taint posted:

Ry: I absolutely will not eat brown rice, too high on glycemic index!!!

Also Ry: eats 2 mcsausages and 4 double cheeseburgers daily.

Lol that wasn't daily. But I get your point. I'm currently trying to break that habit.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

If you buy an Instant Pot, you can also buy a small stainless steel bowl to put inside it, which will allow you to cook single-serving versions of meals using shelf-stable ingredients. I used to do something similar with a rice cooker, but I can't speak to how well a rice cooker works with other grains. Single servings means no leftovers to refrigerate, though it's more of a pain than bulk-cooking and eating leftovers. It does allow for more variety day to day.

Dry grains, dry beans, and canned beans are shelf stable. So is tuna, and canned chicken. Tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, garlic, onions, winter squashes, and avocado do not need to be refrigerated. Neither do spices, oils, vinegar, or buillion cubes. With these ingredients, plus either a rice cooker or instant pot, you can make yourself some basic meals despite lacking fridge access.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Jesus Christ, move out of your boss’ house, rent somewhere with a kitchen, get ingredients delivered if you find queuing too stressful, stop eating two McMuffins for breakfast that’s just terrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

So you have two options:

1. Have a very frank but gentle discussion with your boss and his fiance together about how you are eating fast food all the time and will literally die if you keep doing that. Then ask, gently, to be able to use the kitchen. Offer to set up and abide by rules around this - this is how much fridge space you can take, dishes get cleaned immediately after they're used, etc.

2. Move the gently caress out and get your own place. And not your loving box truck.

Seriously, how much is this guy paying you for working seven day weeks?

So the kitchen topic is a bit rough and yall are right I'm better served living elsewhere. Since I've moved in I've gained 30lbs and whereas I was vegan and cooking for myself beforehand.

One of many issued that occurred over the use of the kitchen was that his fiance wants us to eat together as a family, but I refused to do that because he believed that cholesterol was a myth and I had no idea what he was eating nutrition wise whereas I use to tabulate everything on chronometer prior to living with them. The result of this was that he had a triple bypass 3 months ago. So I would have been worse shape than I am now if I ate his cooking. If I ate with them he'd do all the dishes where as if I cooked I'd be fussed at if i didn't clean immediately or if I forgot something. The benefit of fast food was that I could see what I was eating, but as some pointed out. I lost track of that at some point if I didn't realize I was eating 10,000 MG salt.

As for why I can't just move out into an apartment. I had a ding on my credit score when I was younger because one of my parents told me to get them a credit card at kohl's in my name and they would pay it off. They never paid it off and I didn't have the means to pay it off until I moved in with my boss 2 years ago. I had another ding on my credit card after my apartment complex and primary place of employment burnt down when I was younger and I used a credit card to pay for another apartment while I got back on my feet. Ive paid both back several years ago. They may have fell off last year I believe actually, but for a while that was preventing me from getting an apartment while I was living with my boss.

The purpose of living with my boss was to pay off or get rid of my debts which I have (total debt paid of was $30k) and save up for a place to live which I was going to do if ya followed the last thread. I have one more year left at my boss's. I just feel leaving now would be a waste of money instead of waiting the year to save up more funds. But could it be worth it? Yall are kind of pointing out that it is.

Rytheric fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Mar 6, 2021