Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Even if your credit was terrible, which it doesn't sound like it is, you can find somewhere that will take you if you give them a larger security deposit and show them how much you make and have banked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Now imaging if you will that next to the scrap wood shoe matt (damn right im going to have people kick off their shoes before entering my tiny home) a rocking chair or camping chair, and then beside that a small grill or sawn off 55-gallon barrel sitting on top of a wire spool.

Anne Whateley posted:

Even if your credit was terrible, which it doesn't sound like it is, you can find somewhere that will take you if you give them a larger security deposit and show them how much you make and have banked.

Yeah it's floating just below 700 depending on how much I use my Amazon credit card before paying it off. It was 530 when I moved in with my boss. So the goals of moving in with my boss has almost been achieved. But I guess I sacrificed my health along the way. I hope I can fix that though.

Edit: just looked at my credit everything I described earlier fell off. I still have a ding on my Subaru ascent I turned in. Then I have 26 dings because I missed 2 student loan payments in 2018 and each miss payment gets dinged 13 times since it spreads over 13 loans. I should probably consolidate that.

Rytheric fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Mar 6, 2021

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

it is absolutely worth getting an apartment where you can
1) have a fridge, and thus store food (health!)
2) have access to a kitchen, where you can prepare food (health!)
3) no longer be beholden to your boss for a place to live (esp. since everything you post about your boss makes staying with him seem like a terrible idea)
4) have a stable private place to live and keep stuff, while working on RyTruk (security!)

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Rytheric posted:

Yeah it's floating just below 700 depending on how much I use my Amazon credit card before paying it off. It was 530 when I moved in with my boss. So the goals of moving in with my boss has almost been achieved. But I guess I sacrificed my health along the way. I hope I can fix that though.

Edit: just looked at my credit everything I described earlier fell off. I still have a ding on my Subaru ascent I turned in. Then I have 26 dings because I missed 2 student loan payments in 2018 and each miss payment gets dinged 13 times since it spreads over 13 loans. I should probably consolidate that.

I moved to America and rented an apartment in Jacksonville with literally no credit score and managed to find somewhere good enough for me, my wife and our infant son.

I had to pay for a years worth of broadband because Comcast didn’t recognise my UK credit rating, I wasn’t allowed a contract cellphone and I couldn’t get a lease on a car and I still managed to find somewhere to live with a fridge.

Move out of your boss’ house.

Edit: it had a dishwasher too, which I had never had up until that point, it was a great apartment

Scientastic fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Mar 6, 2021

Ardemia
Jan 2, 2004

IT IS MY RIGHT TO GET BEHIND THE WHEEL WHEN I'VE PUT BACK SIX SHIRLEY TEMPLES OK

:patriot:
^^^^^^^ I didn't have a dishwasher for about a decade, and having one again is a constant source of wonderment for me lol.

TBH I don't understand why your reported credit ratings would keep you from renting an apartment complete with working fridge and stove. Your reported credit rating is about the same as mine, in the same state, and I was able to rent multiple places before getting a mortgage last year. I've definitely had to pay extra deposit for utilities, and one place required extra deposit due to my credit, but I never had any apartment complex/property management company/ independent landlord straight up refuse to rent to me. The only people I know that have had that issue had evictions on their rental history, bankruptcies, or a felony/felonies that precluded them from renting from certain places. You could probably find a decent modular to rent out there too, which would give you more space and privacy than an apartment, just a thought. That would help with the nutrition situation and possibly reduce some external stressors.

For food chat: you can make a decent general tso type sauce at home with hoisin sauce, red chilies, rice vinegar, and some garlic. You may need to use corn starch as well with it depending on the consistency you like. I don't like cooking with corn starch myself, it can be tough to mix properly. If you do try it, I would recommend mixing the corn starch separately with the base water (as hot as possible) then add the corn starch water to the other ingredients. Last time I made sweet and sour sauce in a similar method and it was way better on tofu than it was on chicken.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Developing diabetes and heart disease is going to be a lot more expensive than getting yourself a one bedroom apartment where you can refrigerate, cook, and eat healthy meals. Refusing to invest money in your health may feel like you're toughing it out or being resilient, but you are costing yourself a lot of money in the long run and giving yourself a low quality of life now and in the future. You gotta stop living with your boss, you've voluntarily ceded so much control over your life to this guy. Have some self respect, man.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Now imaging if you will that next to the scrap wood shoe matt (damn right im going to have people kick off their shoes before entering my tiny home) a rocking chair or camping chair, and then beside that a small grill or sawn off 55-gallon barrel sitting on top of a wire spool.

Ardemia posted:

^^^^^^^ I didn't have a dishwasher for about a decade, and having one again is a constant source of wonderment for me lol.

TBH I don't understand why your reported credit ratings would keep you from renting an apartment complete with working fridge and stove. Your reported credit rating is about the same as mine, in the same state, and I was able to rent multiple places before getting a mortgage last year. I've definitely had to pay extra deposit for utilities, and one place required extra deposit due to my credit, but I never had any apartment complex/property management company/ independent landlord straight up refuse to rent to me. The only people I know that have had that issue had evictions on their rental history, bankruptcies, or a felony/felonies that precluded them from renting from certain places. You could probably find a decent modular to rent out there too, which would give you more space and privacy than an apartment, just a thought. That would help with the nutrition situation and possibly reduce some external stressors.

For food chat: you can make a decent general tso type sauce at home with hoisin sauce, red chilies, rice vinegar, and some garlic. You may need to use corn starch as well with it depending on the consistency you like. I don't like cooking with corn starch myself, it can be tough to mix properly. If you do try it, I would recommend mixing the corn starch separately with the base water (as hot as possible) then add the corn starch water to the other ingredients. Last time I made sweet and sour sauce in a similar method and it was way better on tofu than it was on chicken.

I will look into making general tzus its my favor chicken flavor.

In regards to the apartment issue. I had several apartments in the area refuse me when I moved here based on the kohl's credit card and the credit card I paid after the burning event as they were defaulted. I dont think anything counts as defaulted anymore.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Rytheric posted:

I will look into making general tzus its my favor chicken flavor.

In regards to the apartment issue. I had several apartments in the area refuse me when I moved here based on the kohl's credit card and the credit card I paid after the burning event as they were defaulted. I dont think anything counts as defaulted anymore.

So when are you going to start apartment hunting? (Or modular hunting?)

Also please post more about your boss/landlord's food that you refuse to eat because it's so much more unhealthy than two buckets of KFC.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Ardemia posted:

If you do try it, I would recommend mixing the corn starch separately with the base water (as hot as possible) then add the corn starch water to the other ingredients.

JFC this is not how you use cornstarch. It's almost right, but cornstarch:

a) thickens up with heat (so don't mix it with hot water)
b) goes lumpy if you try to mix it in too much water at once (so don't mix it with the full amount of water)

The trick to cornstarch is to mix it in a small amount of cold or room-temperature water -- maybe around 1 part cornstarch to 4 parts water. Mix it in a small vessel that allows you to stir it vigorously (e.g. a mug), and then stir it vigorously. It should form a milky but fluid suspension with no lumps. Stir this into the other ingredients (or the stew you want to thicken, or whatever). When you bring that mixture to the boil, it will thicken up.

If you're pouring the cornstarch suspension into hot stew that's already at or near boiling, you need to stir as you're pouring. For stuff like sweet and sour sauce, it's best to mix it cold and then bring the fully mixed sauce to a boil.

Ardemia
Jan 2, 2004

IT IS MY RIGHT TO GET BEHIND THE WHEEL WHEN I'VE PUT BACK SIX SHIRLEY TEMPLES OK

Lead out in cuffs posted:

JFC this is not how you use cornstarch. It's almost right, but cornstarch:

a) thickens up with heat (so don't mix it with hot water)
b) goes lumpy if you try to mix it in too much water at once (so don't mix it with the full amount of water)

The trick to cornstarch is to mix it in a small amount of cold or room-temperature water -- maybe around 1 part cornstarch to 4 parts water. Mix it in a small vessel that allows you to stir it vigorously (e.g. a mug), and then stir it vigorously. It should form a milky but fluid suspension with no lumps. Stir this into the other ingredients (or the stew you want to thicken, or whatever). When you bring that mixture to the boil, it will thicken up.

If you're pouring the cornstarch suspension into hot stew that's already at or near boiling, you need to stir as you're pouring. For stuff like sweet and sour sauce, it's best to mix it cold and then bring the fully mixed sauce to a boil.

Legit appreciate the cornstarch info. Its not something I use very often in my recipes, and its always been a pain in the rear end because I was using the wrong temps apparently. Last time, I just kept stirring the gently caress out of it in one of my small mixing bowls and it finally blended. Can you fork whisk it at an angle or just use a taller more narrow mixing vessel?

Ardemia fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Mar 7, 2021

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I just use my finger to mix up a cornstarch slurry

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Casu Marzu posted:

I just use my finger to mix up a cornstarch slurry

same also not sure about this “too much water” bit. corn starch goes into enough water pretty easily as long as it’s cold. especially if you whisk it.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I sincerely think the best thing you could do for yourself, Ry, is get into a stable living situation(read: an actual apartment with an actual lease & an actual fridge, not tied to your boss or anyone else you work with) and stay in it without making big plans for truck living/a new murderhaus/etc for at least a year or two while you work on things like 'being able to have money on hand without immediately spending it on stupid poo poo', 'learning to cook healthy food instead of eating 4000 calories/10,000 mg sodium of KFC a day', and ultimately the most important thing for you to work on: impulse control in general(since that's at the root of 99% of your problems right now, to the point where I strongly suggest seeing a therapist about it. You said in the previous thread you have ADHD, so you're extremely unlikely to get a handle on this without professional help. This isn't a judgement on you - your brain is literally wired differently from a neurotypical person's in this department. I am not joking when I say :therapy: should be one of the top two items on your priority list right now). I'm not saying this to be mean or to crush your dreams. I'm saying this because I'm legitimately worried about you & want you to succeed. Having no stability in your life makes it difficult, if not impossible, to succeed in the things you want to do.

Ambitious nontraditional housing projects are for people who already have their poo poo together and can afford to spend all their time, money, and mental/physical energy focusing on them. Someone bouncing from crisis to crisis needs to focus on breaking out of that cycle first, and then they can consider big projects like that. And you are in a cycle of crisis, whether it feels that way to you or not - you're quasi-homeless, struggling with financial discipline(to put it mildly), have a literal chronic health problem you're struggling to manage(which is exacerbated by the quasihomelessness - it's a lot harder to eat well if you don't have a fridge to keep fresh ingredients in) and a mental health problem you're not managing(which is going to make all your other problems harder to deal with).

I'm glad you're taking baby steps towards a better diet, but remember that the important part is sticking to a better diet in the long term(as in 'the rest of your life' long term) without backsliding into spending $40/day on KFC and Bojangles, and I'm concerned that the backsliding will happen a lot until you stabilize the rest of your life. On that note...

Rytheric posted:

One of many issued that occurred over the use of the kitchen was that his fiance wants us to eat together as a family, but I refused to do that because he believed that cholesterol was a myth and I had no idea what he was eating nutrition wise whereas I use to tabulate everything on chronometer prior to living with them. The result of this was that he had a triple bypass 3 months ago. So I would have been worse shape than I am now if I ate his cooking. If I ate with them he'd do all the dishes where as if I cooked I'd be fussed at if i didn't clean immediately or if I forgot something. The benefit of fast food was that I could see what I was eating, but as some pointed out. I lost track of that at some point if I didn't realize I was eating 10,000 MG salt.
If you're in a situation where you're considering fast food and can't/don't want to cook, do your body and wallet a favor and pick up some premade meals at the grocery store instead. They're more expensive and less healthy than cooking for yourself, but they're less expensive and more healthy than fast food. And they have nutrition facts printed right on them so you can avoid the ones that are really awful in the sodium/carbs department. You just have to put in the effort of figuring out which ones are okay-ish for you once and then buy those in the future. And you buy multiple at a time so you only have to go to the store when it makes sense in your schedule. Not having a fridge/freezer limits things a bit, but least canned/shelf-stable boxed stuff is an option. (seconding the Tasty Bite recommendation from a few pages ago, btw)

Also move out of your boss's place ASAP, this whole situation is an entangled mess that's hamstringing your attempts to live(and eat) better. The goal is making healthy choices easier than fast food, but without a fridge or reliable access to a kitchen, you're going to have a hard time with that.

Rytheric posted:

Pull your credit reports from all three bureaus(you can do that for free here, do not pay for any addons or extra services they might push on you) and look at them. I know you said you "just looked at [your] credit" earlier but a)I want to make sure you're looking at your actual full credit report and not a free credit score-type thing from your bank/credit card/etc, and b)I want you to pay enough attention to what you're reading to know for sure whether or not you have stuff in default negatively affecting you.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Haifisch posted:

If you're in a situation where you're considering fast food and can't/don't want to cook, do your body and wallet a favor and pick up some premade meals at the grocery store instead. They're more expensive and less healthy than cooking for yourself, but they're less expensive and more healthy than fast food. And they have nutrition facts printed right on them so you can avoid the ones that are really awful in the sodium/carbs department. You just have to put in the effort of figuring out which ones are okay-ish for you once and then buy those in the future. And you buy multiple at a time so you only have to go to the store when it makes sense in your schedule. Not having a fridge/freezer limits things a bit, but least canned/shelf-stable boxed stuff is an option. (seconding the Tasty Bite recommendation from a few pages ago, btw)

Premade meals would be perfect for him, there's a plenty of shelf stable ones.

Indian cuisine is generally pretty good for this, soft pack microwavable ready-eat meals, add in a microwavable cup of brown rice and you have a very tasty and fairly nutritious meal with known nutritional information on the package.
All for about $3-4 a meal.

Buy the rice cups in bulk and you can use them for other things. There's probably also microwavable quinoa or other grains, they will likely cost more but add some variety.

I'd also really recommend stocking up on some kind of granola/oat bars as they good as an impulse snack that will stop you buying fast food.

Ardemia
Jan 2, 2004

Spookydonut posted:

Premade meals would be perfect for him, there's a plenty of shelf stable ones.

Indian cuisine is generally pretty good for this, soft pack microwavable ready-eat meals, add in a microwavable cup of brown rice and you have a very tasty and fairly nutritious meal with known nutritional information on the package.
All for about $3-4 a meal.

Seconding this, I did this very often when I was in my last round of working and going to school at the same time. I bought a rice cooker and would make myself a few cups of rice at a time, but those premade paneer packs that are shelf stable were so fuckin tasty. Spicy vegetable korma was a strong runner up option too.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
we still buy those just to keep in a cupboard for the odd time someone’s too busy / whatever to make lunch.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I want to post in Grovertruck Thread but Kaiser Schnitzel won’t let me for some reason

Scientastic posted:

I moved to America and rented an apartment in Jacksonville with literally no credit score and managed to find somewhere good enough for me, my wife and our infant son.

yeah but you gotta live in Jacksonville, that’s the problem

EDIT: Just to be clear, this is Jacksonville, Florida we’re talking about right? Not like Jacksonville, Texas or some other Jacksonville?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Haifisch posted:

ultimately the most important thing for you to work on: impulse control in general(since that's at the root of 99% of your problems right now, to the point where I strongly suggest seeing a therapist about it. You said in the previous thread you have ADHD, so you're extremely unlikely to get a handle on this without professional help. This isn't a judgement on you - your brain is literally wired differently from a neurotypical person's in this department. I am not joking when I say :therapy: should be one of the top two items on your priority list right now). I'm not saying this to be mean or to crush your dreams. I'm saying this because I'm legitimately worried about you & want you to succeed. Having no stability in your life makes it difficult, if not impossible, to succeed in the things you want to do.

Quoting this because I too have the ADHD and I probably ought to refer to it later.

I don’t really know what I’m getting in the way of therapy for my poo poo since I live in a backward country shithole with no real therapy options within a 2-hour radius. I have a psych but he’s more of a medication guy.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

So today, I skipped the sausage mcmuffins. Had another whole foods meal.

I weighed myself and I had gained roughly 20lbs over the last couple months due to doubling my kfc and bojangles. Hoping a lot of it is salt that still needs watered out.

Going to eat whole foods again tonight. Don't have time to grocery shop til tomorrow or Tuesday though due to work deadlines.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Hey Rytheric, I read through your goldmined tiny house thread a bit and lol'd. Glad you're taking goon advice and working on your diet. I think you're a good person who cares about other people to a fault, but while you clearly have the means to do whatever you want in life, you gotta love yourself before you can love others, as they say. I'm not going to give you any diet advice because there's way more qualified people here I'm sure who have probably given you all the good stuff, but do count your calories. It helps a lot.

One day you'll be able to eat lovely food again on occasion and it'll taste much better for the absence, trust me.

e: Also, you do not want to live with your boss. Company towns fell out of favor in this country for a reason. Move out of your boss's house.

Cup Runneth Over fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Mar 7, 2021

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Hey Rytheric, I read through your goldmined tiny house thread a bit and lol'd. Glad you're taking goon advice and working on your diet. I think you're a good person who cares about other people to a fault, but while you clearly have the means to do whatever you want in life, you gotta love yourself before you can love others, as they say. I'm not going to give you any diet advice because there's way more qualified people here I'm sure who have probably given you all the good stuff, but do count your calories. It helps a lot.

Thank you.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

So I had a whole foods dinner again. Turns out they just recycle lunch for dinner, so things are a bit drier and probably less healthy. When I worked at domino's we weren't allowed to serve food that was allowed to sit for longer than an hour and a half due to bacteria, so wish my bowels luck.

Anyway on the way out I grabbed some snacks for my office. Some dried apricots and salted chic peas (not as salted as the name implies). Hopefully this will curb some hunger. And the salted chic peas will hopefully satisfy my craving for salt since I can taste it as opposed to it being hidden decietfully inside some Mac n cheese or breading. I the majority of yall say to throw it out though I will.

I didn't eat McDonald's at all today which is a major plus. Pulling an all nighter for work though, so hope I don't cave in in the night.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Rytheric posted:

So I had a whole foods dinner again. Turns out they just recycle lunch for dinner, so things are a bit drier and probably less healthy. When I worked at domino's we weren't allowed to serve food that was allowed to sit for longer than an hour and a half due to bacteria, so wish my bowels luck.

Anyway on the way out I grabbed some snacks for my office. Some dried apricots and salted chic peas (not as salted as the name implies). Hopefully this will curb some hunger. And the salted chic peas will hopefully satisfy my craving for salt since I can taste it as opposed to it being hidden decietfully inside some Mac n cheese or breading. I the majority of yall say to throw it out though I will.

I didn't eat McDonald's at all today which is a major plus. Pulling an all nighter for work though, so hope I don't cave in in the night.

Chickpeas are a pretty good snack. Just make sure you don't eat the entire bag in one sitting.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I. M. Gei posted:

EDIT: Just to be clear, this is Jacksonville, Florida we’re talking about right? Not like Jacksonville, Texas or some other Jacksonville?

Yes, Jacksonville Florida. It was a very strange experience and makes me extra glad to be living in London now.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Just a reminder that grocery delivery is a thing, and very useful if you don't have time to go out yourself.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Just a reminder that grocery delivery is a thing, and very useful if you don't have time to go out yourself.

I dont think they deliver to trucks

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Rytheric posted:

Whole Foods is way better than McDonalds, but it's not exactly health food - unless you're being really disciplined in what you're selecting, plenty of their food is going to have unhealthy fat/sodium levels for a daily diet. It's also fairly pricey, and it'll add up fast.

Little steps are good, and if you can shift from KFC/McD to Whole Foods then you're definitely taking a positive step that will make the next one easier... but until you're able to cook for yourself (in whatever way works for you) then controlling your diet and especially your sodium intake is probably going to be a real challenge.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Notahippie posted:

Whole Foods is way better than McDonalds, but it's not exactly health food - unless you're being really disciplined in what you're selecting, plenty of their food is going to have unhealthy fat/sodium levels for a daily diet. It's also fairly pricey, and it'll add up fast.

Little steps are good, and if you can shift from KFC/McD to Whole Foods then you're definitely taking a positive step that will make the next one easier... but until you're able to cook for yourself (in whatever way works for you) then controlling your diet and especially your sodium intake is probably going to be a real challenge.

Yeah I definitely feel better already though there is a lot coming out of me. Lol

I'm starting to envision a place to put a fold up shelf for cooking or returning to the tea room idea I had with a hotplate coffee table to sit around.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Rytheric posted:

Yeah I definitely feel better already though there is a lot coming out of me. Lol

I'm starting to envision a place to put a fold up shelf for cooking or returning to the tea room idea I had with a hotplate coffee table to sit around.

Yeah but lets not lose focus on finding a stable place to live where you can cook and eat healthy, being your current place with a fridge in your room or a new place. You 100% will need a way to cook for yourself in your truck but you really need to get some therapy, get yourself into better habits in general (financial, impulse control, cooking etc) and then move into your truck, once it's sorted. You can't live in your truck off of cold food or fast food, if you had sustainable land to park on and campfire cook you'd open up some options for eating.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

tater_salad posted:

Yeah but lets not lose focus on finding a stable place to live where you can cook and eat healthy, being your current place with a fridge in your room or a new place. You 100% will need a way to cook for yourself in your truck but you really need to get some therapy, get yourself into better habits in general (financial, impulse control, cooking etc) and then move into your truck, once it's sorted. You can't live in your truck off of cold food or fast food, if you had sustainable land to park on and campfire cook you'd open up some options for eating.

Well. I was in the process of buying land lol. I will buy something else next year.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

So one warning sign of gout I've discovered is the hot knee. Right now my knees are radiating so much heat that I'm quite toasty under my blanket. Why I'm about to have a flare up despite eating better though probably has to due with a lack of sleep lately and the effects of eating better things bit to take in. Or I'm blowing myself out so much I'm getting dehydrated.

When I first noticed it it wasn't kind of crazy. I was laying in RyTruk on a winters evening before RyTruk had walls and I was sleep on a couch in it and my left knee was keeping me warm almost single leggedly

Rytheric fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Mar 8, 2021

Ardemia
Jan 2, 2004

Hydration is important for diabetes management, and after working outside like you do. When you combine this with your positive dietary changes, you probably do need more water than you're currently drinking. Are you drinking at least half a gallon of water a day?

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Ardemia posted:

Hydration is important for diabetes management, and after working outside like you do. When you combine this with your positive dietary changes, you probably do need more water than you're currently drinking. Are you drinking at least half a gallon of water a day?

I dont know. I should probably buy a jug or something.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Buy a water bottle that holds a liter and do your best to drain it every hour. Sometimes you won't quite do it but that's ok because a liter is about how much your body can process per hour so it's a good goal to shoot for. When you have diabetes/borderline diabetes, one of the natural ways your body tries to get rid of excess sugar is through urinating, so it's important to keep water flushing through your system as much as possible. Even for non diabetics, almost nobody drinks enough water, so it's a really good habit to get into!

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Pharmaskittle posted:

Buy a water bottle that holds a liter and do your best to drain it every hour. Sometimes you won't quite do it but that's ok because a liter is about how much your body can process per hour so it's a good goal to shoot for. When you have diabetes/borderline diabetes, one of the natural ways your body tries to get rid of excess sugar is through urinating, so it's important to keep water flushing through your system as much as possible. Even for non diabetics, almost nobody drinks enough water, so it's a really good habit to get into!

Caveat, if you're drinking a litre of water per hour you will be pissing, a lot. So plan on that accordingly. Pissing is good, and healthy, and you should do it.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Let's remember who we're talking to and be very clear that you can die if you drink too much water. Drinking too much water will kill you. This is not a situation where "if some is good, more is better!!!! Full speed ahead!!!!!" is a good idea.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Oh yeah no you shouldn't be just sitting around and chugging water. Water's the least toxic substance out there, but drinking more than a liter per hour for more than a couple hours can be life threatening, if you're not balancing it out (you piss out all your body's salt and then you die).

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

lol yeah once when I was in my early 20s i woke up hung over and slammed like 2.5 liters in less than an hour, and may have died if I hadn't realized why I felt so confused and ate some saltines and washed it down with a cup of salt water

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Pharmaskittle posted:

Even for non diabetics, almost nobody drinks enough water, so it's a really good habit to get into!

I know I don’t!

And I’m dieting and haven’t lost a single pound in more than 10 months, so this is good advice for me too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Rytheric posted:

So one warning sign of gout I've discovered is the hot knee. Right now my knees are radiating so much heat that I'm quite toasty under my blanket. Why I'm about to have a flare up despite eating better though probably has to due with a lack of sleep lately and the effects of eating better things bit to take in. Or I'm blowing myself out so much I'm getting dehydrated.

When I first noticed it it wasn't kind of crazy. I was laying in RyTruk on a winters evening before RyTruk had walls and I was sleep on a couch in it and my left knee was keeping me warm almost single leggedly

This is a circulation thing pretty sure.