Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squinty
Aug 12, 2007

Data Graham posted:

It seems far from obvious to me that the thing to do when you're fighting with primitive technology is "all-black paint-bucket-fill character". That kind of thing is notoriously difficult to make read well, especially if you have hands passing in front of bodies etc, which is part of why well-defined silhouette gesture poses became so important so early I guess.

Gertie the Dinosaur was based on outlines and light fill after all. They could have made it easier on themselves

I think the rise of inkblot style characters was driven by the invention of cel animation. You're painting characters on a transparent sheet of celluloid, so you need big shapes of flat, opaque paint to stop the lower layers from bleeding through.

IIRC Gertie was done in a single layer with ink on paper, so it had different limitations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU