Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Problem description:
Hello, I recently got a new computer as a gift from a friend but after putting it together I am unable to get windows installed, it gets to the win10 logo then just hangs there indefinitely. I put together the parts in pcpartpicker and noticed two warnings, one that the psu he got me doesn't have a 4 pin connector, but pcpartpicker says it may not be necessary (i'll probably replace it eventually anyway) and also pointed out an issue about the cpu and the tuf board bios. I also noticed the DRAM light is lit up yellow when it's powered on.

Attempted fixes:
I have tried multiple things for the DRAM light, tried resetting cmos by taking the battery out and putting it back in, trying one stick of RAM, different slots, took out the gpu, and took out the m.2 storage. I have also tried several different flash drives for the Win10 media tool.

Recent changes: None

--

Operating system: Win10

System specs:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($329.99 @ Adorama)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MASTERLIQUID ML240L RGB V2 65.59 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard ($191.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8 GB VENTUS 2X OC Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($98.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($75.99 @ Best Buy)

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Thanks for the suggestion, and I am able to get into BIOS. Unfortunately when I tried to boot linux (mx) it went to a black screen and nothing happened. I did notice my BIOS are out date, so I could try updating that?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Thanks for your help. It ended up being the out of date BIOS which was an easy fix!