Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

:krad:

Woah. That is mind-blowingly good.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Good job on implementing xBRZ so fast!

It's not a one size fits all but when it works, it's the best at what it does.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Bronze Fonz posted:

Good job on implementing xBRZ so fast!

It's not a one size fits all but when it works, it's the best at what it does.

Yeah, it’s just a quick fix, and does not make a linkable image. For that, I have to figure out a solution to xBRZ on the server side of things most likely.

DessertStorm
Aug 9, 2013

oddly proud of this one

PS great job, OP!

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

DessertStorm posted:

oddly proud of this one

PS great job, OP!

Thank you. Looks good. Is that Borat? e: wait, Borat would have those trucks going over his shoulders.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I thought it was this, but clearly not.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp
Apologies if our good friend was posted before but

This is fun!

EDIT:

Robert Deadford fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Mar 14, 2021

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Woah, the thread is stickied again! All of these are so amazing; way beyond my abilities. There’s still simple updates people have suggested that I need to get to, but if anyone has suggestions; please feel free to mention them. Also a reminder to try out the xBRZ filter linked on the opening post.

Eventually I want a way to submit drawings so they actually appear on the site the way it used to, but with a different design.

Also none other than The Nick Smith (Ulillillia) has conjured up a “version 2” palette with more and better colors using math and superhuman abilities of perception. He also helped fix the distortions that were going on with some image sizes I didn’t even notice. I’m making sure the new palette won’t become too many colors, just for the ease of use.

Flipperwaldt posted:

I thought it was this, but clearly not.

RIP Sean Connery

Good Sphere fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Mar 15, 2021

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Nice!

Waffle! fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Mar 15, 2021

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

https://majoroutput.com/eJxFkNENxCA...v1qSYTw==@4.png

Bedouin Shepherd

simplefish fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Mar 15, 2021

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
This is all so freaking impressive. Great work, all around!

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Good Sphere posted:

Also none other than The Nick Smith (Ulillillia) has conjured up a “version 2” palette with more and better colors using MATH and superhuman abilities of perception. He also helped fix the distortions that were going on with some image sizes I didn’t even notice. I’m making sure the new palette won’t become too many colors, just for the ease of use.

Nice! Is Ulillillia a goon, or is this project getting some attention elsewhere as well?
If you want to extend colour support without running into the issue of just having too many colours, you could look into supporting palettes? Low colour palettes with constraints are pretty common in spritework, and a lot of them have quite a bit of personality.

https://lospec.com/palette-list has a ton of them, available in a bunch of formats. But I imagine adapting it to support palettes would probably be a lot of work. (I guess it could simplify the urls a lot, using indexed color, if they aren't already.)
It's an interesting way to set up unique constraints, but might be more relevant for the hypothetical 32x32px version, if that becomes a thing.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

SubNat posted:

Nice! Is Ulillillia a goon, or is this project getting some attention elsewhere as well?
If you want to extend colour support without running into the issue of just having too many colours, you could look into supporting palettes? Low colour palettes with constraints are pretty common in spritework, and a lot of them have quite a bit of personality.

https://lospec.com/palette-list has a ton of them, available in a bunch of formats. But I imagine adapting it to support palettes would probably be a lot of work. (I guess it could simplify the urls a lot, using indexed color, if they aren't already.)
It's an interesting way to set up unique constraints, but might be more relevant for the hypothetical 32x32px version, if that becomes a thing.

He's not a goon. I've been friends and in touch with him regularly for a long time.

The palette thing is an interesting idea. It could be some work for me, but I also need to think about it not being a lot of work and confusing to users and not scare them away. Speaking of which, I have an idea where you could use a grid to arrange already made pixel images on to assemble a larger image. But the more involved thing is being able to do this, but have specified blocks that can be interpreted as logic to make simple programs or games. Even though it may not be the most popular feature, it could be used, but I need it tucked away so it doesn't overwhelm people.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

I don't know why this is what popped into my head to try, but it is

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Rat Patrol posted:

I don't know why this is what popped into my head to try, but it is

That is perfect. :distonk:

Here are the awesome palettes that Nick Smith came up with:

This would be my second choice.

This would be my first choice, though it would be a shame to omit his hard work he’s done on the larger palettes. (But it still has twice as many as my current)

Way too many colors IMO, but I should still be able to fit the image in the web address using all these colors.

Again, too large.

I’m not going to reject the idea of the larger size palettes here completely yet. I could have like an “extended palette”, but that could lead to it looking messy and too complicated.

Good Sphere fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Mar 15, 2021

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I like your first choice because for me a limited palette is part of the fun

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

PinheadSlim posted:

I like your first choice because for me a limited palette is part of the fun

I agree.

Also this did not turn out how i hoped but i spent too much time trying not to post it now lol

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Rat Patrol posted:

I agree.

Also this did not turn out how i hoped but i spent too much time trying not to post it now lol

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I like your first choice, as well, but I would ditch several of those blue columns and like half of the first two rows and replace them with a bunch of browns, tans, and greens.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Rat Patrol posted:

I agree.

I really hope Umami gets picked up by Adult Swim or something as a show. Absolutely love the Interface series and the other stuff he’s made.

megane posted:

I like your first choice, as well, but I would ditch several of those blue columns and like half of the first two rows and replace them with a bunch of browns, tans, and greens.

Oh yeah that’s a good point. The spectrum has really thin bands for yellow and green, but it doesn’t mean those can’t be expanded for artistic purposes. Definitely worth mentioning.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I dunno man, I'm no pixel wizard and just drew some random lines that ended up looking like a frog.

https://majoroutput.com/eJxdkEEOxDA...6ws2N/I7H@6.png

The filter does weird stuff to the super low res text.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Latest palette.

e: better quality image

The rainbow on the top right would be custom colors. Ignore the right-most column.

Good Sphere fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Mar 16, 2021

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Smol ghost 4 your night

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Duck
https://majoroutput.com/eJxd0EEKxCA...sXyIon0M=@4.png

I can't get it to show the picture.

Maybe because the png filename uses "/" character?

simplefish fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Mar 16, 2021

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

simplefish posted:

Duck
https://majoroutput.com/eJxd0EEKxCA...sXyIon0M=@4.png

I can't get it to show the picture.

Maybe because the png filename uses "/" character?

Here you go :sun:

E - if they don't show on SA, download the image and put it on Imgur or post images or somewhere like that.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Mar 16, 2021

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Inspired by ehuds "spaceship drawings for votes" thread I made my own spaceship since I couldn't vote

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo
Joining the spaceship train

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

e:
"2,000 Volts, coming up!"
(https://majoroutput.com/index.html?...QFG2EHXDxDDrW4= / https://majoroutput.com/index.html?...6mgkOig6wUxBKwH)

Good Sphere posted:

Speaking of which, I have an idea where you could use a grid to arrange already made pixel images on to assemble a larger image. But the more involved thing is being able to do this, but have specified blocks that can be interpreted as logic to make simple programs or games. Even though it may not be the most popular feature, it could be used, but I need it tucked away so it doesn't overwhelm people.

If I understand you right, that sounds a lot like a tilemap feature, which could be pretty interesting, but I have a hard time seeing people hopping from making 1 20x20 image now and then, to making like half a dozen+ so that they can tile them out. Pretty different usecases.
If you did go through with the tilemapper + add some basic logic then you'd pretty much be sitting on a tiny pixelart game engine. It starts sounding a lot like pico8 then. It would be cool, but I have no idea how many people would actually engage with it's full potential at that point.

My gut feeling says that perhaps animation support might be more in line with what it currently is. Fun little doodles -> Fun little doodles and animations/emotes. (And I guess both animation support + the tilemapper functionality you describe would be stepping stones towards the game-engine like structure you describe.)

SubNat fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Mar 17, 2021

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!

SubNat posted:

And I guess both animation support + the tilemapper functionality you describe would be stepping stones towards blue ball machine 2.0
:haw:

Seriously though, thanks op for putting this together. I know it's a lot to ask of someone giving up their free time to work on a personal project but if things do go down the path of extending the canvas and palette would you consider a "classic" mode with the original limitations? Significant restriction often leads to really cool, creative output and the last 5 pages are evidence of that imo

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

https://blueballfixed.ytmnd.com/
drat that was super cool, I'm kind of surprised it's a goon project too.

Absolutely! Thanks again Good Sphere for resurrecting+remaking this fun little thing, it's great.
( And +1 for the 'legacy mode' option, especially since you're working on that new and improved palette. )

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

I'm so excited to see so many people enjoying this, and I love seeing what you make. Also, thanks so much for those who donated. Wow! I am ecstatic. I owe it to you all to work on it any chance I get. Tonight is one of those nights luckily.

SubNat posted:

e:
"2,000 Volts, coming up!"
(https://majoroutput.com/index.html?...QFG2EHXDxDDrW4= / https://majoroutput.com/index.html?...6mgkOig6wUxBKwH)

If I understand you right, that sounds a lot like a tilemap feature, which could be pretty interesting, but I have a hard time seeing people hopping from making 1 20x20 image now and then, to making like half a dozen+ so that they can tile them out. Pretty different usecases.
If you did go through with the tilemapper + add some basic logic then you'd pretty much be sitting on a tiny pixelart game engine. It starts sounding a lot like pico8 then. It would be cool, but I have no idea how many people would actually engage with it's full potential at that point.

My gut feeling says that perhaps animation support might be more in line with what it currently is. Fun little doodles -> Fun little doodles and animations/emotes. (And I guess both animation support + the tilemapper functionality you describe would be stepping stones towards the game-engine like structure you describe.)

I know what you mean. It's best to approach any additions without overly complicating things. Saving the tile maps and making animations so they can be edited later would be difficult without having accounts and a database. Until then, loading up tiles to choose from on the tile map could be done by inputting URLs or uploading the tiles. For now, I'm adding the tile editor and animations to the list.

an actual frog posted:

:haw:

Seriously though, thanks op for putting this together. I know it's a lot to ask of someone giving up their free time to work on a personal project but if things do go down the path of extending the canvas and palette would you consider a "classic" mode with the original limitations? Significant restriction often leads to really cool, creative output and the last 5 pages are evidence of that imo

And thank you for making awesome art! I agree about keeping it simple. You are definitely right about that. If I want to add features, taking the right approach to designing it without having it be overwhelming, especially for someone looking at it for the first time, is crucial. Maybe not so much a classic mode, but ways to toggle an expanded palette and such.

SubNat posted:

https://blueballfixed.ytmnd.com/
drat that was super cool, I'm kind of surprised it's a goon project too.

Absolutely! Thanks again Good Sphere for resurrecting+remaking this fun little thing, it's great.
( And +1 for the 'legacy mode' option, especially since you're working on that new and improved palette. )

Welcome!

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

I still have lots to do, but I updated the design a bit.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Lookin good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
the last thing you see in stalker after picking up artifacts