Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
In AEW adjacent news, Martin Casaus (aka Marty “The Moth” Martinez from Lucha Underground) is training at the Nightmare Factory after spending basically the last two years recovering from herniated discs in his spine:

https://twitter.com/cagesideseats/status/1367265760029134849

I always thought he did a lot with what started as basically a comedy gimmick and he was willing to put it all out there in the ring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Shaq is 48 years old, has bad knees, has a net worth of like $400 million and a cushy NBA commentator job. He called Tony Khan up out of the blue to tell him that he wanted to wrestle, apparently trained enough at the Nightmare Factory to put on a good match including a very credible powerbomb, and took a bump from the apron to the floor through two tables. What a cool, weird dude.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
https://twitter.com/thunderrosa22/status/1367330011506749442

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Royal Updog posted:

Make a senior's division. I want to see old men bleed.

This is going to be the new second TNT show. Tully, Arn, Jake the Snake, Sting. They’re finally gonna capture that elusive 55+ demo

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Royal Updog posted:

What was Spear's hair doing Wednesday? I was too excited by everything else going on to notice

He died his mohawk blonde and it looks super fuckin weird

edit: hahahah remember when he was doing the awful Roman Reigns lizard person blue contacts for a few weeks

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
https://twitter.com/mizunami0324/status/1367366946438733824

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Even if you don't normally watch Sammy's Vlog, it's worth watching the last few segments (about 10 minutes long total) which finally set up this match after like months of build

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTpo5IsDGp8&t=1164s -- video link should time stamp to where the relevant stuff starts

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

SonicRulez posted:

He seems like a really nice guy, but Shawn Spears feels like trying to make fetch happen so bad. This show has Rey Fenix and Lance Archer on it. Okada has a chance to show up. This guy has never once gotten above "Not bad" on TV. Even as Perfect 10 when he was at his most over. They shouldn't cut him or anything, but...sorry Cody it's just not gonna happen for him.

I think being the blandest guy in the new four horseman is probably a decent little spot for him.

jesus WEP posted:

only about 3/4 of the way through dynamite but everyone’s favourite moment was shida and ryo joyfully blasting the poo poo out of each other, yes?

I think for me it was: Shaq table spot #1, Ryo winning the match #2, and then that moment as a very close #3

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Dammit, I just bought the shirt!

Stupid sexy Jon Cruz ruins everything

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

holy poo poo, Cap might actually win a match :patriot:

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
https://twitter.com/ChicoElLuchador/status/1367904426518671360

Dammit!

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1367951241876148224

Big man, big draw

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Ringo Roadagain posted:

Lol that they undersold this as no ropes exploding barbed wire death match while it’s really a triple hell no ropes exploding barbed wire time bomb death match

Also since it’s time bomb the ref better be wearing the proper gear

I think according that diagram it has ropes, so it’s just a triple hell exploding barbed wire time bomb death match

I love Kenny’s diagram though. He should have had “LIGHT TUBES??” on there and then scratched out

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Rarity posted:

I'd be fine with Angle showing up if it's just for a short retirement run because seriously, no one should have go out of the business with jobbing to Baron Corbin

Yeah, this. Let him put everything he’s got into wrestling a couple of bangers so that Corbin isn’t his legacy and then he can be primarily a manager and backstage coach. I’d be stoked to see Kurt in AEW just to get that stink off him.

He’s also one of the best natural pro wrestlers there’s ever been and was a fantastic promo, even if he can’t still go in the ring he’d be an incredible guy to have around to mentor people.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Moxley lovvvvvvessssssssss Kenny

https://www.dazn.com/en-US/news/wre...vs12hvrat4ynj94

quote:

Me and Kenny is like me and him in the same room, on the same show, on the same card, on the same television screen; just something about the energy creates an explosion. Of all the people I've gone through and run through, and all the people I have dropped on their heads and choked unconscious and everything of everybody will last two years, I've put Kenny through the wringer more than anybody.

I've thrown him off a giant stack of poker chips, thrown him into barbed wire, busted him open, and dropped him headfirst on a bunch of different hard surfaces. I put him through the wringer, and he still keeps coming back for more and upping the ante. So that tells you what kind of performer, competitor, and what kind of screw loose performer that he is. It's just this real combustible thing.

You talk about an exploding barbed wire death match. I don't think there's any two perfect guys if you are going to do that, you're going to try to put that on pay-per-view, if you're going to try to sell tickets and put people in the building to watch this match, I don't think there's any two guys better. And definitely, I don't think better with just kind of personal chemistry and the combustion that creates an explosion.

I don't think there's a better combination than me and Kenny Omega for this match. I don't think I'd want to do it with anybody else.

DN: Is it fair to say that you guys are in a way kindred spirits?

JM: Yeah, definitely. I think you find that the top level of this business and probably a lot of other sports, and different realms of entertainment or any other endeavors, definitely in wrestling, which is a little bit of both. The guys at the very, very top have a certain screw loose. If you go back to the beginning of their careers, the way they did things differently, or the way they were obsessed, you find that they're the people have even though on the surface, you might go those two dudes are totally different people, and they might be.

The commonality is there. The obsession with being at the top. The obsession with what we do. I think the commonality with me and Kenny, more specifically, is a lot of people just want to be at the top and in a more literal way of like, 'Oh, yeah, I want to be the champion. I want to be in the main event. I want to be the most famous. I want to make money. I want to have the nicest, like, whatever'. It's important to them to be recognized as, 'Oh, I am the top guy in a competitive sense'.

Whereas I think with me and Kenny, I've wrestled him enough times to kind of know that I think we share the commonality is we're obsessed with the work of life. We're mad scientists or artists. Although we might play slightly different music, we're just as obsessed with our artwork.

That's a cool thing about wrestling because you have different guys with different styles and stuff. It's like music, or it's like the classic Kenny Omega matches considered classical music. Like a form of storytelling. Very detailed ups and downs and these sweeping epic sagas. A lot of my stuff that I'm known for, and where I'm best at, and what I bring to the table better than anybody would be like thrash metal, like Anthrax, Slayer.

Three minutes in your face, rain and blood, aggressive, offensive, in and out in three minutes, knock your d– off. When you combine two things, like the first time Run DMC and Aerosmith got together, it's rock and hip hop; two different things. Now we combine them.

Now I have walked this way, something entirely new. I think the matches you've seen with me and Kenny, especially the last time, were on pay-per-view together. You have the best of Kenny and the best of what I bring and create something entirely new that nobody's ever seen before. That's exciting. We definitely are kindred spirits in that we're both mad scientists and we're both obsessive artists, and we just really, really care about the work and feeling satisfied with what we created. That's the most important part to us more so than any material accomplishments.

DN: In the grand scheme of it all, do you feel that you and Kenny are the two best guys in this business?

JM: To answer your question very simply and expediently, yes. But I'm not, especially in something like wrestling; it's not like hockey where if you win a Stanley Cup, you're the best hockey team. In wrestling, that's not necessarily the case. It's different.

You can be one of the best. The most important thing is how do you say who's better: Shawn Michaels or Ric Flair? You can't pick. If your favorite wrestler growing up when you were a kid was Big Van Vader or Ahmed Johnson, then they're the best wrestler in the world to you. It doesn't matter. It doesn't matter who drew more money or who had people think had better matches. The most important thing is you just got to be the best you.

But yes, I think we are the two best wrestlers in the world right now. Because if I had to answer why, I'd say because what we do, especially here at AEW, is we're being the best versions of ourselves. We're not being fettered or held back. We're not being put in any boxes. We're fully creating the things we want to create the things we want to be. We're not being held back by just about anything.

There are some things you can't do on regular television, but that's about it. As long as I'm not going out there swearing or whipping my d– out, I can pretty much do whatever I want creatively. I wouldn't need to anyway. You're getting the best version of Kenny Omega, the best version of Jon Moxley on a weekly basis on Dynamite. I don't think anybody's doing it at a higher level than me and Kenny are right now. We're both in our prime, both at our peak, both just really hitting on all cylinders.

We're in a position with AEW where we just get to go out there, be given the ball, and get a chance to score touchdowns on a weekly basis. Nobody's doing it at a higher level than us two right now.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Eyeinthepie posted:

What does everyone think of the possibility that it's Sean Waltman? Haven't really seen his name come up so he counts as not who you're thinking of. While, he's not in the hall of fame as a solo act, he is in there as part of NWO and DX.

"X-Pac heat" aside, he generally seems to be pretty well respected for his in ring ability. Also, while he was not really considered a big needle-mover during the Monday Night Wars, his transitions between WCW and WWE did sort of herald the turning of the tides.

Gonna pop hard for that Mikey Rukus remix of Uncle Kracker on Sunday

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Lid posted:

Reposting because Uncle Kracker is a terrible snipe.

I got everything I ever wanted out of that snipe, and I'll never give that back. Well, I know you hate Uncle Kracker, but you ain't gotta look at me like that, I said you ain't gotta look at me like that.

What you lookin' at?
What you lookin' at?
What you lookin' at?
What you lookin' at?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Lethrom posted:

I think I would rather that both of the surprises be some random non-wrestlers BBT picked up off the street than ever see Brock in an AEW ring. Even y'all suggesting his name is killing my hype buzz.

I hope it’s three Brock Lesnars

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
https://twitter.com/KingSerpentico/status/1368386736489906178?s=20

For those of you that don't catch the brilliance and innovation of Chaos Project on Dark

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Is....is he ok? I'm kind of concerned for him.

He’s a little smaller than usual but if he spends a little more time in the gym I’m sure he can get a decent pump

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

MJeff posted:

I will be ordering a buttload of taco bell for the PPV because I have no respect for my body.

I’ve been eating real healthy lately but this seems like a good reason to have a cheat day and order some absolute garbage chain restaurant pizza.

The more I look at that Kurt Angle video the more I’m liking the idea of it being him. I dig the “grizzled veteran lacing em up one more time” vibe of it. Also, I’m envisioning a faction where he has the shooters and big brawlers. Basically I want him to be Minoru Suzuki and give him Angle-gun to beat the piss out of people at a moment’s notice. Their big heater being Legit Layla, of course

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

ICR posted:

If anybody is on the fence about ordering, this isn’t a spoiler. Just some great news:

https://twitter.com/JustinBarrasso/status/1368627464319156226?s=20

Second tweet on that is even better

https://twitter.com/JustinBarrasso/status/1368627525165924359?s=20

I like that they let Darby have some film type input, it's obviously a passion of his

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

I’m glad they’re at least going with “Kenny built a lovely bomb” as canon

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

SamuraiFoochs posted:

People online are so loving stupid. There are those legit getting super bent out of shape about the admittedly hilariously bad explosion, there are people getting pissy about Mox's promo (which gently caress off, was a masterful save) and then there are people using this as justification to talk about how bad and low rent AEW is despite the fact that they nearly hit 1 million viewers last week and top 6 in cable opposing NXT.

Why must there be so many different types of idiocy absolutely everywhere?

Tribalism. It’s WWE fans who just want to see the “other team” lose. It’s sad that so many aspects of society these days break down in this way.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Artelier posted:

I just feel like a guy who is dubbed ALL EGO shouldn't be...a guy. Like if you told me MJF was All Ego, I'd be like, yeah, that's right, I see it. Didn't get that vibe, at least in the ladder match at all, though that might be nerves and maybe he wasn't performing to the best of his ability.

Ethan Page's gimmick on the indies used to be very MJF-ish. He seems to have drifted away from it a bit; I didn't watch Impact so I'm not sure what kind of gimmick he was doing over there.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I think it's more likely they go along with it. Santana and Ortiz were pretty upset at Chris for supplanting their role and tried to stop Sammy from leaving. Wardlow still hates Hager, and he's loyal to MJF for financial reasons.

Yeah I've been figuring Santana and Ortiz agree to boot Jericho, Jericho gets down on his luck and realizes he's been a jerk, teams up with Sammy in a redemption angle, and Jericho gets one last big babyface run before he goes into mostly retirement to do commentary on the new show.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

smarxist posted:

I really need Fuego to destroy QT tonight, but i feel like i'm getting worked

I'm more invested in this angle than most lol

https://twitter.com/FuegoDelSol/status/1369350437103603720?s=20

https://twitter.com/realmmarshall1/status/1369367405244350476?s=20

It's the most important match in AEW Dark history.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

CatelynIsAZombie posted:

With how little japanese idols actually sing on live mics and the fact that she kept time even with the TV synch and the loop she was hearing being off and her monitor falling out of her ear that was highkey impressive. Then she proceeded to fall over like a stack of bricks five times in a row. My only prayer is her head really is that hard and she doesn't get CTE.

Do not fear for Maki Itoh's enormous misshapen head, it is hard as a rock as a result of the plastic surgery.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

MJeff posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_Dn_Ui-exg

Big Biceps Tony talks about THE DUD here.

Big Buyrate Tony

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Tonight Maki Itoh will be on national television in the United States

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

rotinaj posted:

Why are there so many people who desperately want to strike a blow against AEW for the glory of the WWE

Why are there so many people who think that wwe needs defending

What the gently caress

#StanbdupforWWE

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Cerebral Bore posted:

Look, at this point the Toney interviews Sting segment is basically a hallowed company tradition. You can't just stop doing it all of a sudden, people would get confused.

As long as it's not still Team Taz going after him. Cinematic street fight was a good end to that feud, give him something new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Royal Updog posted:

dark is only increasing in length & frequency. so much dark light cannot escape

I feel like with Elevation happening it might slide back to a one-hour show and I'm not sure how I feel about that