Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:

Chief McHeath posted:

I think what's being overlooked is that a lot of players are using axe handle bats and not axe bats

this.

also wasn't there someone here who was gonna do a mega-post about their bats? We're still waiting :colbert:

e: picture of a cool dude with the Axebat so it's not a bad snype

Hirez fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Mar 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Kind of apropos of nothing but i’m thinking about where the farm system is, and how good Ke’Bryan Hayes is, and I genuinely don’t think the Pirates rebuild is going to last as long as most fans fear. they’ll be quite bad this season, respectable next season, and good in 2023.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Has a power hitter ever done batting practice with an aluminum bat just to see what happens?

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Harper absolutely peed on a ball with an aluminum bat during a promo event at the Trop when he was still in high school. Pretty sure it went more than 500 feet.

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008

Dinosaurs! posted:

Harper absolutely peed on a ball with an aluminum bat during a promo event at the Trop when he was still in high school. Pretty sure it went more than 500 feet.

Wow, that’s a powerful stream of urine!

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Chief McHeath posted:

I think what's being overlooked is that a lot of players are using axe handle bats and not axe bats

Successfully cleaving a ball in half results in a home run. Ball halves must be similar size.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

as someone who fucks around at the batting cages from time to time the axe handle bat is an elite piece of equipment. takes the sting out of hitting and it's way easier to get the barrel out in front on time

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I've swung Axe bats a number of times, some people swear by it. I thought it felt fine but I wasn't about to turn around and drop $200 on a new wood bat just for that knob.

Also since you can only hit with one side of the bat I think for metal bats there is issues with wear. I had a buddy blow up an aluminum axe bat a few months after he bought it.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
at my kids practices I sometimes hack with their 10 drop fancy pants bats and I swear to god I could kill one of them with it if I swung full speed. I can't even fathom what a pro-hitter would do with one, let alone an elite pro-hitter

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Hirez posted:

also wasn't there someone here who was gonna do a mega-post about their bats? We're still waiting :colbert:

Yes that was me sorry. I got lazy about cropping the images.

This ended up being quite a bit longer than I was expecting. This first post will be mostly be about wood bats, I'll put together another post about metal.

Hi I'm Popete and I like to play baseball, here is a picture of a bunch of my baseball bats. I've tossed out plenty of broken wood ones over the years and you'd think I'd have more than enough but there is always something new I want to try and so I keep buying more. I figured I'd post about baseball bats because they are cool!

Bat Basics:

Baseball bats can be split into two major categories wood and metal. Broadly speaking metal bats will out perform wood in just about every way, although over the years new standards have been put in place to limit how "hot" metals bats can get the nature of how they are manufactured still gives them an edge over wood. Bats are usually referred to by their "drop", drop is simply the difference between a bats length and weight. So a -3 (drop 3) bat would be 3 ounces lighter than it's length, probably the most common bat length being 33" long and weighing 30 oz. BESR/BBCOR/MLB standards have a drop limit of no more than -3, you will see -2 wood bats for those who like more weight in the barrel but that's usually as high as it will go with the exception of overloaded bats for training.

Bat Standards
  • BESR 1998-2011: Ball Exit Speed Ratio or BESR was a former standard that people usually mean when they say metal bats are insanely juiced. BESR is really just a formula for a balls exit speed based on the balls pitched velocity and it must be under a certain limit for a bat to be certified. A lot of the controversy surrounding BESR was around composite metal bats (not the same as wood composite!), we'll get into what composite bats are later but the idea is the more you hit with a composite bat the more responsive the barrel becomes and the bat gets "hotter". This allowed manufacturers to make bats that passed the BESR standard when brand new but would exceed these standards the more you hit with them. This started to get dangerous and the NCAA eventually banned composite bats leading to the formation of the BBCOR standard.

• BBCOR 2012-present: BBCOR isn't too disimilar to BESR, it sets standards for both wood and metal bats including length, weight and responsiveness of the barrel. One major change was the BBCOR tests "break in" bats prior to testing, manufacturers have to ensure their bats won't get too hot over time or their bats can be banned. This actually happened with the 2020 Louisville Slugger Meta 33" in 2020 and it was banned from NCAA baseball.

Note: BBCOR is the defacto standard outside professional leagues. Most high school/amateur leagues follow NCAA rules and bat bans and require a bat to be BBCOR certified.

• USSSA: This is for little league and senior leagues, it allows for greater barrel performance and bats of greater drop than BESR/BBCOR which limit to only -3. USSSA bats can go down to -8 which allows for some insanely light bats that would be dangerous to use for adults.

• MLB: I'll just post the rules below, but the gist of it is Major League bats must be no lower than -3 drop and have to be one solid piece of wood, this rules out any composite or bamboo bats that are allowed in BBCOR.

quote:

(a) The bat shall be a smooth, round stick not more than 2.61inches in diameter at the thickest part and not more than 42inches in length.
    The bat shall be one piece of solid wood. NOTE: No laminated or experimental bats shall be used in a professional game (either championship season or exhi-bition games)
    until the manufacturer has secured approval from the Rules Committee of his design and methods of manufacture.
    (b) Cupped Bats. An indentation in the end of the bat up to 1¼ inches in depth is permitted and may be no wider than two inches and no less than one inch in diameter.
    The indentation must be curved with no foreign substance added.
    (c) The bat handle, for not more than 18 inches from its end, may be covered or treated with any material or substance to improve the grip.
    Any such material or substance that extends past the 18-inch limitation shall cause the bat to be removed from the game.

Note: (c) you'll notice does not specifically refer to pine tar but allows for "any material or substance to improve the grip". Most of what you see these days are pine tar alternatives like Tiger Stick, which are those push pop things you see guys using on deck. Actual pine tar is really messy and stains everything, such as Justin Turners jersey.

MLB bats must also pass an ink dot test for maple wood bats. With the growing popularity of maple and their propensity to explode in dramatic and dangerous fashion MLB introduced the ink dot test in 2009, a dot of ink is placed 12" from the knob which is considered the most fragile point of the bat and the woods fibers must run no more than 3 degrees off parallel with the bat as seen by the ink dot. This is mostly a safety selection test so that only the highest quality maple wood which is less likely to shatter is used in MLB bats.

Bat Components:
  • Knob: This is really all about "feel" and comfort. Power hitters who like to hold the bat with the bottom hand pinky hanging off the end might prefer a cone knob. But again there are no rules here, just whatever an individual is most comfortable with. Me personally, I like a traditional knob. Here is an image of 3 common knobs; a cone, traditional and tapered another common knob which I don't own is the bell knob which is like a fatter tapered knob.

Today bat makers are experimenting with knobs such as the Axe handle, you've probably seen this in recent years as guys like Mookie Betts have really helped drive it's popularity. As the name suggests it's shaped like an axe handle, the manufacturer Axe Bat claims it improves range of motion in the swing and extra comfort. I've swung Axe bats and think they're perfectly fine, I know other people don't like the feel and some people swear by them. Can't say I personally have a strong preference either way and since bats have to license the knob from Axe you don't have a lot of options for bats with this knob. Another new competitor to the Axe handle is the ProRX

Axe Handle

ProXR

• Handle: This is the part you hold in your hands and is usually dictated by the turn model for wood bats. A thicker handle is more durable and usually preferred by contact hitters who find it gives them more control as well as less end load making the bat feel lighter. Power hitters usually like a thin handle which shifts the weight towards the barrel.

• Barrel: For wood bats a bigger barrel means more mass towards the end of the bat (end loaded) versus a smaller barrel with a thicker handle (balanced). Power hitters want end load, contact hitters usually prefer a more balanced bat that is easier to control.

Wood Bats:

Almost all wood bats are BBCOR certified so they can be used in amateur as well as professional leagues. There are 3 main wood types used in the Major Leagues today; ash, maple, birch. BBCOR allows for bats to be made from more than 1 solid piece, so you will see bamboo/composite and other wood types but the big 3 are still very much the majority.

The big 3 wood types, I only own a single ash bat and it's a fungo. Notice the wood grains, I'll talk about it below but ash has a much more distinctive grain than maple/birch so you can usually spot these bats fairly easily.

Wood Type:

• Ash: This used to be THE wood of the MLB, until one day a guy named Barry Bonds came along swinging maple and everyone decided they should probably swing that too. Ash is a porous grain wood, meaning it is less dense and slightly more flexible and is more forgiving on mishits off the sweet spot which are usually characteristics favoured by contact hitters. You can recognize ash bats by their very pronounced grain patterns (Ben Zobrist bat is a good example).

• Maple: Barry Bonds pretty much single handedly made maple the standard wood baseball bat today. Maple is a very dense and rigid wood, it's favoured by power hitters for the extra mass in the barrel as well as a rigid handle that allows for maximum pop. Maple also shatters when it breaks and was almost banned because they posed such an injury risk (Welington Castillos maple bat speared Tyler Colvin in the chest in 2010). MLB eventually limited the density and species of maple wood that can be used in bats along with the ink dot test described above but it's still very much the preferred wood bat species today.

• Birch: Birch is a relative new comer, it's sort of a hybrid between ash and maple as it's denser than ash but has more flexibility than maple. It's not as popular as maple but more players appear to be swinging it.

• Bamboo: Bamboo is not approved by MLB as it is not a single piece of wood (also it's a grass) but a bunch of compressed bamboos strips. It's allowed under BBCOR standards so you will see it occasionally in amateur leagues as it's very durable. Often used for batting practice or the more budget conscious hitter.

• Wood Composite: This means different things depending on the manufacturer, but generally a wood composite bat is some kind of composite core (bamboo, carbon fiber) surrounded with a wood shell often maple. The handle will also usually be made of the composite material for additional strength. Composite bats are very durable and will last for multiple seasons but have similar performance to traditional single piece wood bats. Again these are only allowed in BBCOR, so you won't see these in MLB.

Cupped or uncupped?
Well if you're playing the infield you really should have one, if you're in the outfield unless you're Matt Holliday you can probably go without... oh right, baseball bats. Wood bats today will often have a cup carved out of the barrel end, this allows the bat manufacturer to balance the weight more finely as well as play around with the weight distribution. An uncupped wood bat will usually have more mass in the barrel. Most bats today are cupped and I've never heard anyone who has a strong preference either way.

Turn Models: Wood bats are referred to by their turn model. This gives a general description of the bat dimensions and profile regardless of the manufacturer. Some common turn models are; 271, 110, 243. I'm not sure why turn models are numbers and what those numbers mean specifically, that's just what they are. Outside of the common turn models there are many many different player specific models such as the AP5 (Albert Pujols) or the CB15 (Carlos Beltran).

110/271/243 respectively.

• 110: This is usually a contact hitter bat, it's a smaller barrel with a long taper to a thick handle. This provides more mass towards the handle and is easier to control with less pop because of a lighter barrel.

• 271: Slightly more end loaded than a 110 but still a pretty balanced bat. A shorter taper to the barrel with a slightly thinner handle. Good all around bat.

• 243: This is a very end loaded fat barrel bat with a very thin handle. Big among power hitters it provides a lot of mass for mashing dongs but can be a lot to handle compared to a more balanced bat like a 110.

Baseball bat manufacturers today are all about customization whether that is turn models/colours/knobs/engravings there is a lot more to choosing a bat than picking a length. I hope you found this post informative!

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

MLB should forget about the juiced ball and start focusing on juiced bats

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Popete posted:

Yes that was me sorry. I got lazy about cropping the images.

great goddamn post

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Awesome stuff, I had no idea about most of those bat facts. I remember when I mentioned the maple bat problem to a classmate around 2010 and he said "Maple bats would hit a ball harder, but they shatter?" He wasn't a baseball fan, just knew a lot about wood.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Chamale posted:

Awesome stuff, I had no idea about most of those bat facts. I remember when I mentioned the maple bat problem to a classmate around 2010 and he said "Maple bats would hit a ball harder, but they shatter?" He wasn't a baseball fan, just knew a lot about wood.

In Japan they use some different woods than here in the U.S. although I think for the most part wood types in MLB bats won't change much in the foreseeable future it is an interesting area to explore that a lot of smaller bat companies have gotten into.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
interesting

https://twitter.com/jmontana41/status/1368584209858768901?s=21

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

https://twitter.com/JessicaCamerato/status/1368607752294129666

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
How much better statistically would old timey hitters do with modern day bats?

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
"personnel reasons" wtf does that mean lol

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i'm puzzled, jeffress was really good for the cubs last year, how did he only get a minor league deal, you'd think any team trying to win would...oh right.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

batposting is good, more please

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm reading that Forrest Whitley is still dealing with arm soreness which may be why the Astros went out to get Odorizzi

and there it is

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1368602809785008129

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
hahahahaha I knew it :suicide:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
So Ichiro is straight-up playing in a sim game today.

https://twitter.com/CoreyBrockMLB/status/1368629204846145538

https://twitter.com/DKramer_/status/1368630091660423169?s=20

GalacticAcid posted:

"personnel reasons" wtf does that mean lol

Assuming that's not a typo, I would guess it means "baseball reasons" in that they didn't have a roster spot for him? Weird phrasing.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Mar 7, 2021

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Kusnick is a terrible agent and he has mostly lost all of his clients over the years to other agents

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

https://twitter.com/JoshuaKusnick/status/1368625103769112576

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Also Strop, Franmil Reyes, and Jose Ramirez apparently went out and partied or something, so they're all being held out of Cubs and Indians camp for violating COVID protocols:

https://twitter.com/MLBastian/status/1368614299158024193

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

:swoon: :swoon: :swoon:

Apparently Mike Cameron was there too?

https://twitter.com/CoreyBrockMLB/status/1368624840354131970?s=19

My God 2001 was 20 years ago

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Sydin posted:

Also Strop, Franmil Reyes, and Jose Ramirez apparently went out and partied or something, so they're all being held out of Cubs and Indians camp for violating COVID protocols:

Covid tests to the left!

Now, I dunno how much of this is PR bullshit but as one of the few teams without any sort of 'rona outbreak, it makes sense when they said the team took the various protocols very seriously themselves last year. Strop was already a longshot to make the roster, but alas...

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/JoeTrezz/status/1368338867510775809

Well, uh, it appears the year off for Felix didn't give him any velocity back...

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

seiferguy posted:

Well, uh, it appears the year off for Felix didn't give him any velocity back...

As my post above shows, I'm all about nostalgia as an M's fan, but even I think Felix Hernandez trying to become Jamie Moyer is a bit much

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Thanks for the bat post, Popete! That was great.

Are MLB hitters mostly using 31 oz bats these days?

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Checking in on Chipper Jones, who was just appointed to the Ska Elder Council

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

I love Chipper, but if you put him next to the guy from Metallica, there's no way I'd guess who's who.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/1368659821906391040?s=20

i liked underwood, but how can i say no to Shendrik Apostle.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

MrMojok posted:

Thanks for the bat post, Popete! That was great.

Are MLB hitters mostly using 31 oz bats these days?

Most MLB hitters from what I've seen are swinging 33.5" or 34" bats with a -2 or -3 drop. 33" is on the small side for an average MLB hitter and I can't think of seeing anyone swinging a 32" lately.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
"Infielder," while technically correct, kind of gives the wrong impression of the type of player Apostel is. He’s strictly 1B / DH and will need the bat to carry him

(not a criticism, i like him as a prospect and the power’s there).

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Ichiro just loving around playing baseball even in retirement :swoon:

seiferguy posted:

:smith:

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

R.D. Mangles posted:

https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/1368659821906391040?s=20

i liked underwood, but how can i say no to Shendrik Apostle.

Solid baseball name and I hope he gets plenty of announcer puns on dingers.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

https://twitter.com/LukeRussert/status/1368699152708874242?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Mustached Demon posted:

Solid baseball name and I hope he gets plenty of announcer puns on dingers.

His name is an anagram for "Northside as kelp".