Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

His name is an anagram for "Northside as kelp".

Thanks, Nisei Lounge Twitter account

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Do what now?

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Wait, can someone remind me of what's going on with Jeffress? Or is this unexpected to everyone else too?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Nobody has a clue at this point. The Nats released Jeffress out of the blue for "personal reasons", Jeffress immediately took to twitter to blame his former agent for "ruining [his] life", and said former agent made a couple response tweets that he hasn't even talked to Jeffress since 2019 - let alone represented him - so he's confused why Jeffress is blaming him for anything.

So who knows :shrug: Jeffress has a history of being kind of a piece of poo poo off the field, and his former agent is also a complete nutter, so either one could be at fault.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Sydin posted:

Nobody has a clue at this point. The Nats released Jeffress out of the blue for "personal reasons", Jeffress immediately took to twitter to blame his former agent for "ruining [his] life", and said former agent made a couple response tweets that he hasn't even talked to Jeffress since 2019 - let alone represented him - so he's confused why Jeffress is blaming him for anything.

So who knows :shrug: Jeffress has a history of being kind of a piece of poo poo off the field, and his former agent is also a complete nutter, so either one could be at fault.

It was "personnel" reasons which is way weirder frankly

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Its Rinaldo posted:

Ichiro just loving around playing baseball even in retirement :swoon:

Is this surprise or...?

Dude lives for ball so much that people were legit worried he'd be clinically depressed when he retired. I don't think there's anything he'd rather do in retirement than whack a baseball.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
No but it's always fun to see and am glad he is able to do stuff and be happy and stave off the death spiral of not being a pro anymore

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Its Rinaldo posted:

No but it's always fun to see and am glad he is able to do stuff and be happy and stave off the death spiral of not being a pro anymore

:agreed:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Ichiro was incredibly grim about his post baseball life in interviews joking "I'll probably just die" which sounded kind of funny but when you realize he was hazed at a young age to live and breathe baseball it doesn't really sound funny anymore :(

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I was honestly surprised he didn't just go back to NPB; Ichiro is such a legend in Japan teams would probably line up to sign him until he turned into a skeleton.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

my favorite baseball fact is that Ted Williams was Mexican

apparently all projection systems agree that barring injury, Juan Soto is the reincarnation of Teddy Ballgame at the plate. makes sense when you consider he was talking about the game like this at 14

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Popete posted:

Hi I'm Popete and I like to play baseball, here is a picture of a bunch of my baseball bats.
This post is awesome.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Popete posted:

Hi I'm Popete and I like to play baseball

I don't post a lot anymore in the MLB threads but this was awesome Popete, thank you!

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The city of Chicago is allowing up to around 8,000 fans at both Wrigley and Comiskey starting opening day.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

R.D. Mangles posted:

The city of Chicago is allowing up to around 8,000 fans at both Wrigley and Comiskey starting opening day.
So are the Marlins, in an act of hubristic optimism.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Rheal Cormier died, rip

Rheal

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

At the rate my state is vaccinating, my age group will probably be eligible for vaccination by the time MiLB starts up, so that's neat.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Rheal Cormier died, rip

Rheal
Pour one out for a Rheal one

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
I'm starting to think Bobby Witt Jr might end up being pretty good. Weird being excited about a Royals batting prospect

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

drat, I always had an irrational love for Rheal cause he was French Canadian like me and made me think I could make the show.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/ByKristieAckert/status/1369300200431489036

poo poo

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Guess the Pirates are leaving it all out on the field for Spring Training so they can have a leisurely regular season.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

alpha_destroy posted:

I'm starting to think Bobby Witt Jr might end up being pretty good. Weird being excited about a Royals batting prospect

yeah i'm not sure what to do either

20 year old who runs bases like this

https://twitter.com/MLBPipeline/status/1367909194175815681

and hits baseballs like this (turn sound up)

https://twitter.com/alec_lewis/status/1369062311785209859

plus he has a good glove and elite arm at SS? I dunno man, he's going to get hit by a falling satellite or something probably

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Britton is having surgery to remove a bone chip.

Also:

https://twitter.com/Alden_Gonzalez/status/1369402314839179266?s=20

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I love when the first sound from the crowd on a dinger is a gasp

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I love when the first sound from the crowd on a dinger is a gasp

Gary elicited a moan of almost horror from the crowd today

https://twitter.com/MaxTGoodman/status/1369370726474596357

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Rafael Ortega hit a walk-off grand slam when down by 3

https://twitter.com/Cubs/status/1369424452245667845

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Wow someone buy that dude a better mic

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Yankees already punished for dumping Ottavino.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Curious to hear what other pitchers think. MLB said they were going to de-juice the ball (that they’ve never admitted to juicing) this year, right? Or did I imagine that?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
There was a quote from Cole about the seams feeling better/being more consistent but also I think they're still supposed to be using balls from last year, and the new ones aren't going to be a thing until the regular season (which seems loving idiotic on its face anyway) so who knows.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Dinosaurs! posted:

Curious to hear what other pitchers think. MLB said they were going to de-juice the ball (that they’ve never admitted to juicing) this year, right? Or did I imagine that?

They've said they adjusted the manufacturing process to reduce the COR (bounciness) towards the lower end of the acceptable range and reduce the weight, and there's going to be 10 ballparks using humidors now. They didn't say anything about the seams, but higher seam height = more drag, so that would make sense too.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Wasn't there a noticeable change in the balls the last 15 games and playoffs last year?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Inspector_666 posted:

but also I think they're still supposed to be using balls from last year, and the new ones aren't going to be a thing until the regular season

Yeah, I’m not sure. I know I saw Buster Olney say this, which makes me automatically disregard it, but maybe it’s true.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

took a sporcle quiz to name all cubs opening day starters from 1990, and while i was incredibly proud of a few pulls (mike fontenot, junior lake, carlos pena, ian stewart, and somehow pulling marlon byrd from the deepest recesses of my brain) i was very disappointed to see that i did not remember mark bellhorn, jeff baker, bill mueller, how to spell mark grudzielanek, the fact that i conflated grudz and mark de rosa into the same guy, and forgot about SAS favorite darwin barney. i also completely forgot about the cubs playing the legend of mike olt at third while they hosed with bryant's service time, anyway if you are bored at work i highly recommend taking a sporcle quiz and trying to remember some guys.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

R.D. Mangles posted:

took a sporcle quiz to name all cubs opening day starters from 1990, and while i was incredibly proud of a few pulls (mike fontenot, junior lake, carlos pena, ian stewart, and somehow pulling marlon byrd from the deepest recesses of my brain) i was very disappointed to see that i did not remember mark bellhorn, jeff baker, bill mueller, how to spell mark grudzielanek, the fact that i conflated grudz and mark de rosa into the same guy, and forgot about SAS favorite darwin barney. i also completely forgot about the cubs playing the legend of mike olt at third while they hosed with bryant's service time, anyway if you are bored at work i highly recommend taking a sporcle quiz and trying to remember some guys.

Think you got the year wrong, unless you're thinking of Les Lancaster, Lloyd McClendon, and Luis Salazar.

Oh man yeah thanks for the recommendation, I am currently Remembering Some Guys

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
HOW THE gently caress DID I FORGET CURTIS GRANDERSON, HE IS LIKE THE COOLEST AND THE GOODEST!

Pretty happy with some of my Mets pulls, though. Josh Thole! Xavier Nady! Derek "Operation Shutdown" Bell!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/WatchMarquee/status/1369395233897742340
https://twitter.com/CubsRelated/status/1369421541323268099

Joc is gonna get mulched against LHP and the Cubs are gonna let it happen, but I look forward to a lot of majestic dongs off of RHP this season.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

more falafel please posted:

Think you got the year wrong, unless you're thinking of Les Lancaster, Lloyd McClendon, and Luis Salazar.

Oh man yeah thanks for the recommendation, I am currently Remembering Some Guys

It was all opening day starters from 1990-2020.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

R.D. Mangles posted:

It was all opening day starters from 1990-2020.

Oh, that makes... a lot more sense