Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

They must not be counting the parking lot at Brewers games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Boozy grapes are the key to getting poo poo-faced at the ballpark without spending a ton on beer. Just soak a bag of grapes overnight in the liquor of your choice (rum works very well) and they'll let you bring them into the ball park because they just look like normal grapes.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Also works with watermelon!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkuwffDFWQA

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
RIP my poor King Felix.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Isn't Seattle like... middle of the pack for attendance MLB wise?

I know they don't pack them in because they have been bad for so long but... it's not TERRIBLE is it?

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Julio Cruz posted:

there are 14 players ever to have got 800 hits from ages 35-39

so unless you think Markakis was going to be playing into his 40s then yeah, it was a pretty ridiculous idea

Now do 35+ and there are 64 players meeting the ~763 hits required criteria :v:

EDIT: And if you do this search backwards, Markakis was 60th with 2,237 hits through age 34 season. Short list of an example of people who had less hits than Markakis through age 34:

George Brett
Tony Gwynn
Rafael Palmeiro
Rickey Henderson
Wade Boggs
Paul Molitor
Dave Winfield
Craig Biggio

Not saying he's as good as these players buuuut the dude was super durable before 2019 and then 2020 stole a year and now he's gone. He averaged like 155 games played and 670 PA's. It wasn't an entirely crazy thought.

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Mar 12, 2021

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Tweezer Reprise posted:

how are these numbers even calculated? Do they just ask how people how much they would pay for a team? it’s not like teams are commodities or even publicly traded

If you really care, there is a fairly lengthy transparency and methodology section baked right into that article.

https://www.sportico.com/valuations/teams/2021/2021-mlb-teams-value-baseball-team-data-1234625755/

Click on "View Methodology" next to the red FEATURED STORY link.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
But when will they be able to eat chicken and drink beer together in the clubhouse again?

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

mcmagic posted:

TBH Lindor has been a 325m player for 1 season in his career and he's gotten worse the last 2 years. He's probably the worst of the big stortstop FA class next year and they will all get screwed on money coming off a labor stoppage.

What?

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.a...tdate=&enddate=

2018-2020 shortstops with 1000 PA's.

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Mar 30, 2021

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

mcmagic posted:

For the last 2 years, LeMahieu, also not a 400mm player, has been better. After 2018, Lindor got worse each of the next 2 years. His SLG was also 100 points down from 2019 to 2020..... That isn't NOTHING.

You are comparing two entirely different positions and also a 27 year old and a 32 year old. Lindor has more bWAR than LeMhaieu in 4 less seasons. You aren't helping your argument.

You are also using a hosed up pandemic year in your analysis in which any type of normalcy was hard to come by.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

https://twitter.com/drewmagary/status/1376651626992242695

:v:

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

David Price is making $32m to be a Dodgers bullpen guy this year.

The Pirates's entire payroll is 1.31 David Prices.

The Boston Red Sox are paying David Price $16m to be a Dodgers bullpen guy this year.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
The law is poo poo but like, this actually does do some damage for Atlanta area business right? Especially since I'm sure a lot of the entertainment/tourism industry in that area took a dive from the pandemic too?

Hopefully this will get them to actually look at the law and how stupid they are buuuut I doubt it.

Or am I thinking about this in an entirely wrong way? The games usually bring in like 60-70m into the area.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Popete posted:

Also I'm not convinced Manfred did this for the right reason and it wasn't just a lucky coincidence of him trying to shorten the ASG game time down to 0.

I'm not convinced loving AT ALL he did it for the right reason. I guarantee you there were sponsors contacting MLB and telling them to get the hell out of Georgia or we are out. Just like Washington and FedEx. The sponsors just didn't have to make it public before it happening. $$$ rules.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I'm not convinced loving AT ALL he did it for the right reason. I guarantee you there were sponsors contacting MLB and telling them to get the hell out of Georgia or we are out. Just like Washington and FedEx. The sponsors just didn't have to make it public before it happening. $$$ rules.

chilihead posted:

I don't believe this at all.No way there was that much advertising behemoths like the NFL with Colin. This was from the players union and the players. I honestly believe this and if i'm wrong the change in the last few years is amazing.

:v:

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Johnny Bravo posted:

I had a friend who is a Cards fan lamenting to me over the weekend how some big names have decided to not play for STL in recent years and one of the names he brought up was Stanton not waiving his trade clause to go there

I thought that was really funny

Goldschmidt re-upped for them and they just got Arenado haha. It's more that the Cardinals don't go after the huge name free agents. They trade and then sign generally.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

mcmagic posted:

Trading for Stanton would have been even worse for them than it was for the Yankees and it's really loving bad for the Yankees.

As much as I loved Pujols and still do, matching that Angels contract also would have been a disaster.

It's nice to not have to watch our lovely fans be mad/angry/racist at an old and bad aging Pujols from 2012-21.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Popete posted:

I would love MLB to point out exactly which rule Castellanos broke.

I mean the umpire was right there so I'm assuming he knows exactly what he yelled at Woodford while he was pumping his fists? Maybe he said terrible words?

But yea, probably should have just fined them all imo. He's obviously going to be fired up after getting hit and being mad about it and then scoring on a wild pitch.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Please don't allege some dude maybe said 'terrible words' with zero proof

lol what? He clearly yelled something at Woodford and I'm almost certain it wasn't something friendly and nice based on the reactions.

MLB has an unsportsmanlike conduct rule, pretty sure standing up, pumping fists, and screaming something directly at an opposing player would fall under that rule. Again, I don't think he should be suspended and the Cardinals (including Yadi grabbing him) definitely are at fault here too, but there are rules. Again, just fine everyone and be done with it. Can't suspend just one guy.

Johnny Bravo posted:

I assume it has to do with getting the benches to clear in the age of COVID which is dumb bullshit but that's still my assumption

Actually didn't even think of this. I think they did put in some protocols about trying not to get the benches cleared and stuff. Once teams reach 85% vaccination can they brawl without penalty again? :v:

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Its Rinaldo posted:

Suspend Cruz for two games for looking at the opposing team while running around the bases after a home run

Cruz and Schoop were teammates on the Orioles and Twins.

You are all acting like every stadium wouldn't be full or drat close to it if their respective states were allowing it. Every stadium hit their "capacities" over the weekend... right? The only thing stopping more from attending are state mandates that won't allow them to sell more seats. $$$ rules, as usual.

The California teams had 10-12k each. The Rockies had 20k each. The Cubs and Yankees met their limits too.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Dinosaurs! posted:

Nats Park didn’t :smug:

:lol: I actually went to the MLB attendance page to look for them and googled what their capacity limit was and then realized you got me good. Totally forgot.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
https://twitter.com/Jomboy_/status/1379460065854382083

I love Lance Lynn so much.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Sydin posted:

Please for the love of god get Arcia out of the central, he sucks rear end and yet somehow the Cubs are just completely incapable of getting him out.

219/283/326 against the cubs which is literally worse than his career averages :v:

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Popete posted:

This perception is probably skewed because he absolutely destroyed the Cubs in the playoffs.

You mean game 163! But yea, that was like the only relevant thing he has ever done at the plate and then he continued it against the Rockies and Dodgers.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

He's literally free isn't he?

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
He's gonna play 150+ next year and OPS+ 170 and get a monster deal from... the Angels.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
The Reds are on pace to score 1,539 runs this season.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Dr.Donkeypunch posted:

If only they could play the Pirates every game.

What a garbage team.

Would love to watch them play the A's every game.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Holy poo poo he called it a strike 3 first?! That's incredible.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
https://twitter.com/BallySportsMW/status/1380296329335861254

A reminder the Rockies gave Nolan Arenado and $50m to the St. Louis Cardinals. :v:

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

GPTribefan posted:

Boy I sure do love that my team has had 3 scheduled off days in the first week of the season, 2 of which came in the middle of a homestand

It's to prevent opening day rainouts and then Thursdays are one of the normal days off for baseball teams when they have them.

The off days after home openers in open air stadiums literally happens every year.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Taking vaccines from nursing homes to put into peak condition young athletes probably would not have been a great look

Just like paying for their own lab in Utah to distribute and process hundreds of thousands of COVID tests last year?

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

What? Was that actually hurting anyone by doing it or just really expensive?

I mean, it absolutely took resources from *somewhere*. There wasn't an infinite supply chain of covid testing. Sure they paid for it and it was private, but it consumed resources and lab space that could have been used for other purposes such as educators and/or essential workers.

But, SPORTS!

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

mcmagic posted:

Judge is completely unreliable. It would be insane to pay him.

In his most unreliable season outside of a pandemic he put up 5.5 bWAR. In his other entirely unreliable season he put up 5.9 bWAR. To go along with an .853 OPS in 150+ PA's in the postseason.

The man should get heavily paid for 5 years with an option for a 6th or something barring an entirely lost season this year or next.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Stanton is essentially on a 7/188 right now (including this year) that the Yankees are paying.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Now Bronson Arroyo is literally playing Wonderwall

Wait, what? Why?!

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
https://twitter.com/ChadMoriyama/status/1380598907843932167

what the gently caress did i just watch?

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Dumb stats presented with zero comment

2012-2021 Yadier Molina: 288/335/427 106 OPS+ 26.5 bWAR

2012-2021 Albert Pujols: 256/312/448 108 OPS+ 13.2 bWAR

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Mike_V posted:

This is good right?

There was a clear need for a veteran innings eater starter with a proven (average) track record and a clear need for an outfield bat.

Then Mikolas and Bader went down to make it even worse. This front office is so loving stubborn and DeWitt's so loving cheap.

The outfield is hitting 189/256/358.

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Apr 13, 2021

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Julio Cruz posted:

Jacob deGrom has a 2.06 ERA since the start of the 2018 season

the Mets are 36-42 in his starts

And he's hitting 197/241/263 with 12 RBI in those starts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

It's hilarious that homeboy says they should play baseball the way they did in 1970 because in 1969 they lowered the mound by 5" because, you guessed it, pitchers were throwing too hard and batting averages had gotten too low

I actually thought that's why they said that year haha.