Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I've been to enough weekday Mariner games where there are only 10k or so people and that's still a lot of people. I can't imagine that stadiums are going to hard block movement around the building, given how most every stadium has special food, drinks or merch only available at a single location and everything is happening for money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Mariners announced that they'll been open for 9k fans on Opening Day. With a ban on outside food. For 'safety'.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Shrecknet posted:

Safeco Field is a loving gorgeous park

People asserting this will never not be weird to me. Safeco is so utilitarian. Seattle doesn't have much of a skyline, which you can't see from most of the seats in the stadium and you have about the worst angle on it anyway.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Just of the ones I've been to, I'd put Cleveland, San Diego, San Francisco, Detroit, St Louis, and both New Yorks over Seattle as far as aesthetics.

Coors is the one that has felt the closest to me as Seattle for looks but at least has the dumb mountain scoreboard and the bullpen trees.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I had been collecting cards in a "maybe something cool with be in them" way and getting autographs of mostly random guys as my best things (with La Tortuga as my best). I never saw any last year after the shutdown and I assumed Topps just wasn't shipping any really for 2020. It was really because people are speculating on everything now?

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
If only Felix had played for a semi competent team and didn't need to be perfect in every game. Less high stress miles on that arm and he could have probably kept going for many more years.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Perfect Game 1-0 Literally Just Pitching To The Score And His Offense, His Best Hitter Was John Jaso For gently caress's Sake

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The other funny thing is that the 2012 Mariners were so bad, Felix actually had the second highest OPS (with 3 plate appearances) of anyone on the team. #1 was Hector Noesi with his 4 plate appearances. Then Jason Vargas was #3. John Jaso comes in at #4 with 142. Next is Seager and Michael Saunders tied with 108.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/SEA/2012.shtml

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I like KC rolling in with 'we will keep our beloved figure on the team and pay him well for it' when every other team will dump a player as soon as possible. Salvy is cool and he should get paid.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The Mariners are trying to get me to attend plague games to see the garbage team:

'Your health and safety while at T-Mobile Park is our top priority. This season, you'll find several new protocols designed to reduce touch points including digital tickets, no bags and cashless transactions, as well as a science-based approach to enhanced cleaning. Follow the links below for more information. We'll see you soon!'

Nobody handled tickets directly. They scanned them from a few inches away, the exact same way they will for phones. Bags don't matter when people are already bringing themselves in, it just goes along with banning outside food 'for safety'. I'm sure that the place where the bathrooms got covered in a wall of vomit and piss by the 3rd inning are really going to invest in 'science-based' 'enhanced cleaning.'

gently caress all of the open 'er up poo poo that is going to get people sick, maimed and killed.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

lol

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
What did the Show 20 do for the live roster stuff? Did they just collapse it to the 60 game season?

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Intruder posted:

Does anyone actually care about the ASG these days though?

The last ASG was packed and people were all over Cleveland. It largely exists in the same place as baseball generally, it isn't a huge cultural event but it is still a big thing for the league and the host city. If the players actually got them to pull it, it would be huge.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
In 2014, I bought one of the extremely expensive 'all hits!' Topps boxes. One of my autographs was Mike Olt.

It worked out because it taught me to never buy one of those again.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Its Rinaldo posted:

I'm super salty the one time the Mariners have an opportunity in the last twenty years to not ruin their premier hitting prospect again by promoting him too early they bungle it. He's had 21 games at AA and is barely able to drink, keeping him in the minors isn't a silly idea. But no.

Logan Gilbert has a much better case since he's older, played college ball, and has more games in the minors.

I started to watch the Mariners late in the Dustin Ackley experience but it is funny to me that the only highlights I can remember from this can't miss infield hitting prospect were 'beard' and some cool looking catches in left field.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I love Lindor and respect him pushing for as much money as possible but if doesn't get at least the $325m in the end, he's stupid as gently caress.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Wasn't Mookie also one of the guys who was saying how they wanted covid positive Justin Turner out on the field? Bauer might not be changing the team culture at all or need to be catered to specifically.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Ogmius815 posted:

I must be an idiot because looking at Francisco Lindor’s offensive numbers I don’t see what makes him worth such an astronomical amount of money. I get that he plays a premium position (or rather THE premium position) but he looks to me like a ++starter, not the perennial MVP candidate implied by that deal.

What am I missing?

A smile worth 100m on its own

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I'm watching the end of the Yankees game and almost nobody in the stands are wearing masks correctly and its making me super depressed. So many more people are going to get sick and die pointlessly because things couldn't stay closed a few more months.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I would like to watch a baseball game played by my 2021 favorite team, the New York Mets.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Even ignoring the bit where vaccination isn't a personal decision at a population level, the fact that a bunch of players are getting sick and loving up the schedule should tell them it isn't even an individual decision within their own sport.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
As a sumo fan, I have a lot of experience in how "muscle through the injury" just means you just get hosed up forever. Dude should just get it done.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

I don't know how much of it is just being older but ever since I got back into baseball, I feel like more young cool guys have been derailed by injury than ones who keep being cool. Paxton, Judge, Tatis, Ohtani as the biggest ones.

Shiroc fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Apr 7, 2021

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I'm dealing with some other stuff right now that might be contributing but I feel like I really can't bring myself to give a poo poo about this season. I was even closely watching last year but this one is nothing to me.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Ohtani is bigger than the previous seasons, right? Put on a bunch of upper body muscle?

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
There have now been two no hitters that only missed perfect games because of a single HBP in one week? loving weird.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Wouldn't the fans at games right now be overall the worst of the worst because it is the people who would attend a baseball game during an ongoing global pandemic? Like how the first people back to restaurants were all of the assholes who don't tip but demand perfect service.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Its funny how the Mariners getting Kikuchi felt like an intentional marketing pivot after not signing Ohtani. Instead of getting one of the most exciting players in the game, they got a guy with who serves up a handful of home runs every single outing while being entirely forgettable as a player.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

GalacticAcid posted:

Kikuchi is good

Comparing him to Ohtani is silly. Ohtani is a titanic figure in the game

I compared him in the timing and how he was marketed in Seattle, recognizing that Ohtani is far more interesting.

Even ignoring that, he's not good. He's a barely passable backend starter.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I've been keeping ongoing rankings as I had visited places
1 - Comerica Park
2 - Yankee Stadium
3 - Busch Stadium
4t - Progressive Field
4t - Citi Field
6 - Oakland Coliseum
7 - Petco Park
8- Chase Field
9 - Coors Field
10 - Oracle Park
11 - T-Mobile Park
12 - Miller Park
DNF - Great American Ballpark

I was surprised by how much I liked Detroit and St. Louis.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
N: Mets lost 1-0 with deGrom pitching again
V: :mets:

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I dunno, I just started a 'March to October' in The Show with the Mets. deGrom pitched 7 brilliant innings, left up 2-0. Then the bullpen gave up 2 runs in the 8th to tie. In the 9th the Nats won on a suicide squeeze that was setup by a throwing error that turned a double into a triple.

A perfect simulation of :mets:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I know its way down the list of important things, but does Alomar getting put on the ineligible list mean that he should be removed from the Hall? If an ineligible person can't get in, makes sense to take one added out.