Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Well he had a chance to go somewhere else after languishing on that losing team for near a decade and chose to stay so either he believes that the Angels can turn it around or he doesn’t really care.

There are many worse places to live and work than Anaheim. Dude's making a shitload of money and playing in one of the best possible weather locations in the world while being at LEAST a regional star and playing in a gorgeous stadium. So he probably cares about that stuff. And he's the best player of this generation. So he obviously cares about performance. As for turning it around... roster-wise they always seem like they should be right there, but for whatever reason (Astros) they never quite do. Management-wise... well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Sydin posted:

Anyway apparently he could end up missing the entire season because of it, the human body is dumb:

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1367479249905602561

I suppose it depends on how it broke. I imagine most of the recovery time will be spent rebuilding strength from the stupid thing being splinted/in a cast for six weeks.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I mean, it was closed as a prison in 1963, and for a lot of people, movies about it are the only way of knowing about it. I can understand someone not knowing that it's a real place or that it's still standing.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Chamale posted:

Considering the exit velocity revolution, has anyone tried making bats out of ironwood? It's really hard so you could clobber the gently caress out of a ball with it. There's a linear relationship between wood hardness and density, so a 36-ounce ironwood bat would be very skinny, but it might be worth it for the extra power.

Baseball Reference has this on the page for bats:

quote:

Although the rules regarding bats have scarcely changed since 1895, practical construction of bats has changed considerably. Players in the late 19th and early 20th Century commonly used bats that weighed 3 pounds or more on the theory that a heavy bat could hit the ball further than a lighter bat. Other players used much lighter bats, often made of relatively soft wood. A few players, most notably Heinie Groh, used "bottle bats" that narrowed abruptly from the barrel to the handle rather than tapering gradually.

Players have gradually adopted lighter bats on the theory that bat speed rather than weight is the key to hitting the ball hard. Hickory wood, once a favorite bat material because of its density and strength, has been completely abandoned as a material for bats. Most batters today use bats that are from 33-36 inches long and have a drop of -3, meaning that their weight in ounces is about three less than their length in inches. The bats used by Mark McGwire and Barry Bonds to break the single season home run record weigh almost a third less than those used by Babe Ruth when he set the same record.

Another recent trend in bat construction is the move from ash to maple wood. Maple is supposed to be more durable than ash, and players believe that it is harder and thus able to hit the ball further. The fact that Barry Bonds was among the first players to use a maple bat contributed to their popularity in the early 2000s. The greater hardness and durability comes at a cost in weight, so maple bats are often made slightly smaller in diameter than ash bats to keep their weight down. Maple bats have become controversial because of their tendancy to shatter in sharp shards when they break, posing an injury risk to spectators, players and umpires. There were calls to ban them in 2008, after a series of incidents in the early season. Yellow birch is another type of wood that has gained popularity among players; it is more flexible than maple, but harder than ash.

Seems like the question of hardness is answered by maple tending to shatter. If you get too hard with it and too skinny, the stress on the bat hits a point where the hardness is a liability more than a benefit. That's not to say people won't try in the future, but I would be surprised.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

I think size/weight is probably the biggest issue with going harder. Hickory is harder than maple and used to be common many decades ago, but fell out of favour due to weight, so it's not like players don't know harder and heavier bats are possible.

Yes, this is the point. Other woods have been tried and the harder bats are either too heavy or (arguably) too dangerous, so I would have to assume something harder would therefore be unlikely to be used.

There's a lot of unwritten rules/tradition, but if someone showed up with a (sustainably-/legally-sourced) rosewood bat and it was better, they'd be using it. Especially in a time when we can study the physics of things like the laces being almost imperceptibly flatter on the ball.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Its Rinaldo posted:

Ichiro just loving around playing baseball even in retirement :swoon:

Is this surprise or...?

Dude lives for ball so much that people were legit worried he'd be clinically depressed when he retired. I don't think there's anything he'd rather do in retirement than whack a baseball.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Its Rinaldo posted:

No but it's always fun to see and am glad he is able to do stuff and be happy and stave off the death spiral of not being a pro anymore

:agreed:

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I suppose I better get a loving resident parking sticker this year if the Cubs are letting real (temporarily) living people inside.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

elentar posted:

Ehire Adrianza has been a golden god this spring training, and thank goodness since that lowers the chance of Sandoval or Kipnis getting any reps whatsoever in the field.

I never had a genuine complaint about him as a Twins fan. I think our biggest issue was our glut of "pretty okay" infielders.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I swear to gently caress runners on in extras is the worst loving thing.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

RCarr posted:

It robs us of position players pitching, ergo it’s bad.

It's also arbitrary. If it doesn't end in 9 just call a loving tie. There's 162 games. Ties will matter too.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Poque posted:

Bring it to Wrigley

For the reasons of not wanting that poo poo in my neighborhood, I have to disagree. Any other year I'd be down. I mean, not last year either, but you get me.

It's bad enough now. Wife said she saw literally dozens of unmasked yahoos going past the apartment. I am not amused, gently caress you Rickettses.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Slimy Hog posted:

I don't believe you live in wrigleyville if you think the ASG will bring more bozos to the neighborhood than TBOX or some other dumb event that happens every year.

(I used to work at the Binny's on Clark and HATED all those events that brought drunk idiots to the area)

I don't. I live a mile away on the west edge of Lakeview and it's nothing but out-of-town Cubs fans traipsing by for 12 hours every home game.

Edit: AND taking up all our street parking even though there are signs everywhere "don't park here without a resident sticker you'll get towed or ticketed" and then they come back to find out they've been towed or ticketed

rickiep00h fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Apr 2, 2021

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Funny that HOTLANTA MAN is pulling follower counts as if I, a person who is not a walking hot take, do not have more followers than he.

What a dumb and goony thing to say.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Luigi Thirty posted:

I think we used to have a travel thread but has anyone done a Chicago to Milwaukee day trip for baseball by Amtrak? How easy is it to get to the stadium? I’m finally getting the vaccine and really want to hit up some stadiums in July or August once the covid stuff has (hopefully) calmed down.

I've taken Amtrak THROUGH Milwaukee a few times, it's a pretty uneventful and short trip. It looks like you can grab transit from Milwaukee's intermodal station pretty easy, but there's a fair amount of walking at the ballpark end. I mean, if you're used to CTA to see a Sox game, I can't see it being a huge deal as long as your scheduling lines up. And if course there's Uber if you want to add to that mess.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

bawfuls posted:

it looks like some expensive half-bar area they put back there, wasting the best seats in the house with gimmicky bullshit

Really let the players see how little people care about the game going on.

I just never understood the point of going to a ballgame as a social outing and not, y'know, watching the game. But I'm also one of those weirdos that plays board games with people and actually wants to play the game, not just drink cocktails and talk poo poo about coworkers, which seems to be an unusual prospect for some.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Luigi Thirty posted:

I miss my dirty hot dog place near Clark and Foster. It sells weed now. Gentrification!

I keep meaning to get up to that place.

But the spouse keeps getting gummies from her coworker so it's not like there's a need or anything.

Also there's a Devil Dawgs at the Belmont stop. Getchoo a hot dog slathered in nacho cheese with shredded cheddar and walk up to Wrigley from there.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

R.D. Mangles posted:

I don't want to see what the bad cub jersey is, no thanks.

Hopefully it's just a ridiculous print of a human-sized chicago dog.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

My brain just sort of inserted this "boink!" sound when it bounced. Or like, the GameCube startup sound?

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Nick Punto is smiling somewhere about sliding into 1st Base

https://www.twinkietown.com/2013/1/4/3833034/an-oral-history-of-nick-punto-sliding-headfirst-into-first-base

Wooooo! Get money!

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Chamale posted:

A pitch clock would lower the strikeout rate considerably. Pitchers are able to throw harder by taking long breaks between pitches. Crowds used to boo any pitcher who took to long on the mound, but now it's expected. A pitch clock also shortens game time significantly without removing any action.

If I had the money I would go to every single game I'm able to attend and heckle anyone that steps out of the box or takes a walk off the rubber for more than whatever amount of time that seems right, usually ten or fifteen seconds. If you're not at the rubber or in the box, you're not playing loving baseball, you're standing around.

As it is I do that at the games I do get to go to, because gently caress that dilly-dallying. Play the loving game.

We don't need clocks, we need shame. Shame.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Whoa now don't bring data into it. It's about my baseball feelings, man.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

more falafel please posted:

With all the weird poo poo in Spring Training this year, they came dangerously close to inventing the Shame rule, and I definitely want that.

As much as I hate the runner on in extras rule, this would make it worth it. Maybe then the Twins would wise up some.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Slimy Hog posted:

I lived in Chicago for 7 years and the only time I heard about whatever "Buona" is was at baseball games. Is it some restaurant in the ballpark or something?

Buona is a beef product brand you can purchase in Chicago-area grocery stores. I literally only know about it from Anthony Rizzo's smiling face. And occasionally Frank Thomas's smiling face appearing alongside Anthony Rizzo's smiling face. There's lots of smiling involved in Buona promotional materials, but only and exclusively baseball players.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Popete posted:

Buona is a restaurant chain similar to Portillos, they serve Italian beef sandwiches.

Wait, really? I have never seen one. To Google Maps!

e: oh they're all in the suburbs except one that's inexplicably in Streeterville. And I guess there's one outside of Salt Lake City?

rickiep00h fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Apr 22, 2021

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Yeah before the rona I was considering joining a 16" league, if only because there's no way I'm hitting a baseball. But also for *~Chicago White People Street Cred~*

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Christ I'm so tired of the Twins bullpen. And the lineup. What the gently caress happened.

Don't answer that. I don't care, I'm just venting.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

That "WGN but real" feel is legit. I was amazed how it sounded.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I've been to four major league parks: the Metrodome (which I loved for nostalgic reasons because I was mostly a child when I was there), Target Field (gently caress yeah Target Field), The Stadium Wherein the White Sox Play and Its Ever-Rotating Naming Rights (it is definitely A Place) and Wrigley (best crowd I ever dealt with, at the NL central Game 163 a couple years back.)

Minors I've been to several games at the Tincaps stadium in Fort Wayne (best minor league stadium for several years running!), the machine shed that the Cedar Rapids Kernels play at, and two indie league parks: the Chicago Dogs and the Fargo-Moorhead Redhawks. All the minor league games were great fun, and the seating is almost universally great, especially from a cost perspective.

Majors it's a bit different. Wrigley and Target Field definitely felt like baseball was part of the neighborhood, the 'dome and the Baseball Stadium on the South Side both felt like concrete boxes which contained baseball, but I give the edge to the Sox because the field itself is gorgeous and the Metrodome had, yknow, the baggie. I've been to several Sox games and the game itself is always great, but it feels like a parking garage getting around it.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

It's really weird to me that the only people I have on ignore is because of this thread specifically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Sorry, I meant all the broadcast stuff and animations were repetitive, not the gameplay. I’ve only been playing it for a couple days but I feel like I’ve already seen every single player reaction and heard every inane broadcaster line.

Definitely turn that poo poo off