Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Michael Crichton was a piece of poo poo in so many ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Popete posted:

Yes that was me sorry. I got lazy about cropping the images.

great goddamn post

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Checking in on Chipper Jones, who was just appointed to the Ska Elder Council

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

R.D. Mangles posted:

I appreciate that even during a pandemic baseball players are still finding ludicrous ways to injure themselves.

it's a public service, probably the CBA should have a section on comedy injuries that carries a bonus for giving us all a chuckle

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Nick Markakis is retiring after 15 seasons. He finishes tied for 54th place in career doubles.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

blossommirage posted:

Kakes had a great career. When he first came to Atlanta, I did not think I'd be this sad about him leaving. Definitely could have gotten 3k in a just world.

Seems like the combo of feeling your performance level start to dip while being aware that your kids are growing up awful fast is a tough one.

My favorite Braves retirement remains Billy Wagner, who left 10 million on the table because he decided he'd rather be back on his farm with his alpacas.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Braves will open at 33% capacity, which is too many but better than the at least 50% I would have guessed. https://twitter.com/mlbbowman/status/1370747059729539072?s=20

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Braves need to be buying out the rest of Freeman's career, wondering what that's going to leave them in terms of trying to buy extra years of Soroka and Fried, or maybe before long Anderson and Pache. Still a decent chance this bunch remains the core of the team for a good while though.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

abelwingnut posted:

what other celebs/athletes from other sports have taken a pa in spring training? i remember russell wilson did, like, two or three years ago? and i think he did ok?

Coming out of high school, Russell Wilson was definitely considered more of a baseball prospect than a football one; he got drafted pretty late because of signability questions but the Orioles offered him a signing bonus more in line with someone taken in the top 10 rounds.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

the radio feeds are live if you can do without video for the sake of immediacy.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

bawfuls posted:

will they apply this to teams that fail to draw 25% capacity even when full capacity is allowed?

do they do the count in Dodger Stadium in inning 1 or inning 5

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

I think we all can agree that when people are debating whether your graphic element is meant to be cumshots or birdshit you've done a great job.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

forget the meth, it's the pain pills racket that are the thing no pro sports league wants to deal with, even after Tyler Skaggs etc.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Ehire Adrianza has been a golden god this spring training, and thank goodness since that lowers the chance of Sandoval or Kipnis getting any reps whatsoever in the field.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

more falafel please posted:

Randy Johnson was on Effectively Wild a couple years back and literally only wanted to talk about the fine folks at Kingsford Charcoal and their great grills and charcoal products

Just imagining that he’s not even getting paid for it, he’s just sincerely enthusiastic and can’t wait to get back to his deck.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

my god it’s full of stars https://twitter.com/discoturkeys/status/1374724032596164608?s=21

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Mike Soroka is going to throw an inning or two in tomorrow's game. He needs to stretch out still but the plan still seems to be having him back in the rotation by late April.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

I love Opening Day for many reasons, mostly because the baseball hasn't actually started yet and thus the hurt hasn't either, but also because it's the day when all the non-injured ace pitchers and wannabe aces are out on the mound.

What other day do you get Ryu vs. Cole, de Grom vs. Scherzer, Fried vs. Nola, and Darvish vs. Bumgarner (ok he used to be, still has name recognition), plus of course others like Kershaw out there too? Good day.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

de Grom-Scherzer nooo

edit: seriously they should have fast-tracked vaccination throughout spring training and the failure to do so will haunt this entire season.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

https://twitter.com/madlittledebbie/status/1377798266033672195?s=21

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Was gonna say I think we’re gonna need a Dollop on Greinke before all is said and done. What a magnificent weirdo.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

I am not in favor of risks to any player’s health or livelihood yet from a distance I have to admit it’s extremely funny that the new-look good-luck Mets are getting this and that it’s the fault of the chud Nats

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Julio Cruz posted:

ahahahaha

gently caress Georgia and gently caress the Braves

This but as a Braves fan, serious bonus that it takes away their white flight reward

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

soggybagel posted:

Move it to Minnesota and honor Kent Hrbek.

Ok let’s pump the brakes a little

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Seeing chuds online calling for the end of baseball's antitrust exemption as a result of this, as if this is the thing that's going to do it.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

I always kinda liked the draft days when they would just go until every team had selected the kids of everyone in the front office and gotten bored with calling out random names. Especially since once in a great while you would get a Piazza or someone out of it.

hmm that was an unexpected doublepost instead of one edited post

elentar fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Apr 3, 2021

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So a new narrative going around is that this move is disrespectful to the memory of Hank Aaron. Let that one sink in.

those absolutely horrible fuckers.

when the Milwaukee Braves moved down to Atlanta, the "price" was that the city had to quickly and enthusiastically ditch all segregation in public accommodations, just like Houston had to for the Colt .45s a few years earlier. Aaron had to be talked into making the move, having grown up in Mobile and not wanting any part of the South again. what's disrespectful to his memory is creating a voting law that is very obviously aimed at disenfranchising Black voters. but you all know that, and so do they, and they aren't capable of shame so instead here i am getting angry and ashamed on their behalf.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

The history of these things indicates that if Georgia fixes their bigoted law then they will immediately be given the next available All-Star Game. Happened with the Super Bowl when Arizona refused to acknowledge MLK Day for a while, happened in North Carolina with the ACC/NCAA Championships over their transphobic poo poo. Just sort it out.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Anyway literally no one is going to care about this politically by this time next year, if the Democrats want to hold onto the Senate in general and Warnock's spot in particular then they should turn on the money spigot because that's gonna get a lot more people to the polls than anything immediately sports-related.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Pete Alonso has also been Good on everything I've seen though that always makes me dread otherwise

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Shohei Otani is the most amazing little-kid fantasy of a baseball player to emerge in my lifetime and I cannot help but love him forever, no matter what.

R.D. Mangles posted:

is craig kimbrel BACK

as one of the very few Craig Kimbrel partisans out there, i sure hope so, i would love to see him rebound and establish himself in mid-high 400s save territory.

elentar fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Apr 5, 2021

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Very interested to see what the Braves are offering Freeman, the years maybe even more than the dollar value.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

So we can say, in conclusion, that Texas is a land of contrasts

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

there's a lot wrong there but honestly the worst thing might be matching all the bold stuff with the blandest pants possible

Only registered members can see post attachments!

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Well at least 0-162 will get you remembered in the record books.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

goddammit https://twitter.com/mlbbowman/status/1379919464582541314?s=21

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Are you really arguing that baseball players should have been vaccinated in February when shots were limited to high-risk people? Think real hard about how gross that is

Baseball players are unavoidably traveling around the country and coming into contact with lots of people, they are high-risk carriers especially for variant strains.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

The Braves have sent cash considerations (.jpg) to the Pirates for Edgar Santana, who has not pitched in the majors since 2018 following Tommy John and an 80-game PED suspension, 20 of which he is still serving.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Shrecknet posted:

So OK. The Townsville Towns give 500 ABs to Rick and 500 ABs to Tony. Tony puts up a 100 OPS+ season. Rick puts up a 0.0 WAR season.

What do Rick and Tony's slash lines look like in 2020?

Is Tony a 2 WAR player?

What is Rick's OPS+?

You can't really tell because the average shifts from year to year and also there's lots of ways to get to either a 0.0 WAR season (even excluding defensive contributions) or a 100+ OPS one, all you could really surmise from that is that Tony is likely a better hitter than Rick (though even still you'd have to take their positions into account).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

mcmagic posted:

That is quite a stepdown from the Mets lol

Also from J-Lo